Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

DIFFICULT TO FIND MUCH TO SMILE ABOUT

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Surprised at the change at full back but I weren't at Kenwyne Jones being replaced.

I thought and posted last night that I expected Ole to give two other strikers a run out.

The first half was as poor in creative terms as I have witnessed for some time.

Ball retention was very poor and Wolves were having a field day especially down our left. Fabio had a stinker in the first half.

Our shape was poor, we didn't find or use the width of the pitch yet we had an out and out winger in Pilkington in the starting eleven.

We were fortunate not to be one or possibly two goals down at half time.

The second half City were improved and Kenwyne was proving a handful for the Wolves defence, he was linking up the midfield who up until that point were very poor.

Our best chance of the game came when Jones chested a cross and turned on the penalty spot only to drill his shot down the keepers throat.

I have no complaints at losing the game though to concede in injury time is an absolute killer, Wolves deserved the three points over the course of the game and City must start games better if we hope to make a serious claim for promotion.

Respect to Hudson for holding his hands up at the full time whistle and apologising to the fans for his own goal.

Can't say much more than that as from our perspective it weren't a good day at all.

Re: DIFFICULT TO FIND MUCH TO SMILE ABOUT

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Very strange team selection.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Sorry carl but how you can single fabio out is laughable imo
Yes i agree we were very poor down our left but that was down to the inadequate one and only peter whittingham he gave fabio no help what so ever he strolled around all game giveing nothing to the team he has to be dropped now :bluescarf: :ole:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:29 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:Sorry carl but how you can single fabio out is laughable imo
Yes i agree we were very poor down our left but that was down to the inadequate one and only peter whittingham he gave fabio no help what so ever he strolled around all game giveing nothing to the team he has to be dropped now :bluescarf: :ole:

Nutmegged not just once but twice in the first half, is that Whittingham's fault as well Steve ?

He was poor today and the number 17 La Parra gave him the run around.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:36 pm

As I said no help down the left from whitts
Ole had to change from 442 to 451 bringing le fondre backon the left as whitts couldnt do his job :bluescarf: :ole:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:58 pm

troobloo3339 wrote:As I said no help down the left from whitts
Ole had to change from 442 to 451 bringing le fondre backon the left as whitts couldnt do his job :bluescarf: :ole:

Steve, I think if you watch the game again you will find that Whitts was employed as an inside left ( or that's what you would call it :lol: )

It was the shape and tactics that were wrong but individual errors are simply that and poor decision making by Fabio were in stark contrast to his excellent display on Tuesday.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:30 pm

Ole needs to STOP fecking about with the shape. How will the players ever gel?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:54 pm

stentona wrote:Ole needs to STOP fecking about with the shape. How will the players ever gel?

he`s a tinkerer .... he`ll never change .... EVER

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:33 pm

Quick question from a neutral.

Why was Kenwyn Jones on the bench when he's in a rich vein of form? Did he have an injury?

If not that's a shocking shout from OGS. Dropping an in form striker who's scoring goals. What will that do for his attitude & confidence?!

Don't get that one. Someone will probably tell me he was injured. If so fair enough. Just found it very odd when I saw your line up today.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:37 pm

I was gutted when I saw the line up! Connolly at rb? I'm not being funny but when brayford has done f all wrong all season why would you drop him?

Kenwyne has been our main outlet up front all season and we drop him aswell...

Very strange decisions by ole, I just hope he gets it right next Saturday.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:01 pm

I dont get the Doom and Gloom going on here...sure, I havent seen it, but figuring from the stats, Cardiff could very well have won this game...

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Dolko wrote:I dont get the Doom and Gloom going on here...sure, I havent seen it, but figuring from the stats, Cardiff could very well have won this game...

No they couldn't....no killing instinct in the team.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:Quick question from a neutral.

Why was Kenwyn Jones on the bench when he's in a rich vein of form? Did he have an injury?

If not that's a shocking shout from OGS. Dropping an in form striker who's scoring goals. What will that do for his attitude & confidence?!

Don't get that one. Someone will probably tell me he was injured. If so fair enough. Just found it very odd when I saw your line up today.

No he wasn't injured. He came on at half time and played the whole second half.

Yet another questionable decision from our very own tinkerman

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:09 pm

I find it very odd that you take an interest in championship football more so cardiff Stan while your in the prem. (I didn't watch a single game last year)

But each to their own I can't fault it :thumbright:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Dolko wrote:I dont get the Doom and Gloom going on here...sure, I havent seen it, but figuring from the stats, Cardiff could very well have won this game...

According to the BBc website we had 33% possession. And 29% of that was spent passing the ball backwards.

Of course possession isn't the be all and end all but common sense says that the more you have of the ball the more chance you have of getting it in the other teams goal.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm not so pissed off with the fact that we lost today, but the manner in which we lost! There seemed to be no shape to the team, there was no outlet, our midfield was non existent, banging aimless long balls for Le Fondre and Mainard to chase, no crosses from the wings. Morrison having a 10 minute nightmare, Connolly instead of an inform Brayford at RB, Jones demoted to the bench. All very, very, very strange. I'm getting pissed off already seeing every team out pass us and have the vast majority of possession. If we had got a point today, then we would be considered very fortunate. With all the striking talent we have we really should be creating a hell of a lot more chances in these games.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:41 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:

I find it very odd that you take an interest in championship football more so cardiff Stan while your in the prem. (I didn't watch a single game last year)

Get very bored reading about the same QPR subjects mate.

Love the championship I like Cardiff & enjoy the debate :thumbup:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:45 pm

Stan-QPR wrote:

you got to admit, following Cardiff there's never a dull moment. We may be accused of many things, but dull ain't one of them! :lol:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:46 pm

DrDre wrote:
Stan-QPR wrote:

you got to admit, following Cardiff there's never a dull moment. We may be accused of many things, but dull ain't one of them! :lol:

Very true pal! :lol:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 pm

carlccfc wrote:

Steve, I think if you watch the game again you will find that Whitts was employed as an inside left ( or that's what you would call it :lol: )

It was the shape and tactics that were wrong but individual errors are simply that and poor decision making by Fabio were in stark contrast to his excellent display on Tuesday.

played a right back in left back position ?? :roll:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Nothing to smile about?

Speak for yourself :thumbright:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Jones will have an impact but won't win us a league, otherwise he would be in the league above. MaynArd in my personal view isn't good enough to be at the club and Alf needs 2wingers and a forward partner.

I don't want to sound to critical as we have the basis of a winning squad, but its play offs for me unless we get a Hudson replacement and Maynard replacement

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:40 am

FFS - We are two weeks into a season and play our first 3 games in 8 days and complain why two players are on the bench !!!!
Jones - you may have noticed is a big lad and 3 lots of 80mins probably puts him in the injury red zones
Brayford- Covers a lot of ground and some pace, he to probably needed to rest.

Its a brutal division. We need to be in the running at christmas then kick on.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:57 am

when you see Forest & Derby ripping teams apart yesterday you realise how hard this league is to leave behind

Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:02 am

llan bluebird wrote:FFS - We are two weeks into a season and play our first 3 games in 8 days and complain why two players are on the bench !!!!
Jones - you may have noticed is a big lad and 3 lots of 80mins probably puts him in the injury red zones
Brayford- Covers a lot of ground and some pace, he to probably needed to rest.

Its a brutal division. We need to be in the running at christmas then kick on.

A sensible post!

Our fans are a right pain in the arse at times, lose one game and go into meltdown. I always knew Wolves would be tough and would have ripped your arm off for a point before the game. We have Fulham next week who aren't having the best of times at the moment, hopefully we can capitalise on that and take the 3pts.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:46 pm

Twice in the article you use weren't. Once as in 'it weren't a good day'

The correct English is 'wasn't'.

Same poor English in the last sentence.

I agree with the content of the article. I just hate sloppy grammar.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:51 am

pembroke allan wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Would you rather have Declan John playing at left back Allan ?

If so, Brayford or Fabio at right back ?

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 am

carlccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Carl may mixed up left and right but happier with players playing in correct position. If john plays in that position yes. Brayford over fabio aswell

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:16 am

pembroke allan wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Carl may mixed up left and right but happier with players playing in correct position. If john plays in that position yes. Brayford over fabio aswell

I weren't being funny Allan, I was unsure you had made a mistake or that you believed Fabio should be playing at right back and not on the left :thumbup:

Despite Fabio having a poor game on Saturday, I do feel he is the first choice left back with Brayford on the right :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 am

NJ73 wrote:Nothing to smile about?

Speak for yourself :thumbright:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

after results Against relegation fav and an extremely poor utd. NJ! come on you only managed 1 shot sec half against utd? A better side than utd would have done you. Or are you playing fantastic football.? not according to pundits but guess need to smile while can! :old: