Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Any 'Mature' Students on here?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:41 am

Thinking of going back to uni at the grand old age of 30. Anyone gone back? How did you find it? Thinking of taking a different path in my career (although it is linked) so looking at going back part time.

Bit if a big decision, I keep changing my mind whether it is worth it

Re: Any 'Mature' Students on here?

Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:31 pm

Not one myself but did have a few with me whilst I was in uni and I asked them about it. They used to come one one day a week for a 10 hour day. I think that it's all about how you manage your time and what you can dedicate to it . Depends on if you have kids and if so can you afford the time away from them. Also will take a longer timeframe to graduate.

Hope that helps pal .

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:18 pm

BlueKush wrote:Thinking of going back to uni at the grand old age of 30. Anyone gone back? How did you find it? Thinking of taking a different path in my career (although it is linked) so looking at going back part time.

Did a teaching qualification followed by a BA (Hons) PcET degree (part-time studies) at University of Newport in my 40's and had a great time, BUT it was hard work and involved a LOT of commitment on top of my already high-pressure job, which occasionally frustrated me and my family!

Worthit in the end, though and the feelings you get (as well as the opportunities that can present themselves) at the end are absolutely and pricelessly immense!

There is funding available for many courses, so I'd say "give it a go" and if you don't like it, then you can always drop out. No shame in that and I'd rather say "I tried" than later say "I wish I had..."

Good luck IF you go for it! :thumbup: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:35 pm

Work offered me the opportunity to study as well as work, which I accepted. It has been extremely difficult but with the support of my family I am now coming up to my final year. A huge commitment is needed, but beginning to see light at the end if the tunnel. My advice is go for it.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:51 pm

carmarthen bluebird wrote:Work offered me the opportunity to study as well as work, which I accepted. It has been extremely difficult but with the support of my family I am now coming up to my final year. A huge commitment is needed, but beginning to see light at the end if the tunnel. My advice is go for it.

Agree (and well done) :thumbup:

People who "can't motivate themselves" need not apply, because it's hard work! ;)

Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:49 pm

I have just quit my job and will be attending uni at the end of september - bit scary at 36!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:11 pm

BlueKush wrote:Thinking of going back to uni at the grand old age of 30. Anyone gone back? How did you find it? Thinking of taking a different path in my career (although it is linked) so looking at going back part time.

Go for it fella - In my forties and doing a uni course- its hard work and you get some weird looks when you present your NUS card to get discounts at cinema etc but it is worth it. Money is tight but hopefully will get a better job at the end of the course. What uni are you thinking of going to? :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:43 pm

There are a few on my course in their 30's/40's... they come in one day a week due to work, but its about a 12 hour day for them!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:50 pm

I'm doing engineering through work which envolves 4 days in work and 1 full day and an evening in college. The day I have off work to attend the course has to be worked back during the sme week.

For me the course is difficult but not the hard bit. Personnaly the time and commitment that has to be put in has been the hardest for me and has caused many aguments with the wife :old: :old:

I am now in my fourth year of training and have started seeing the benifits with payrises/promotions etc....

As much as I have had many sleepless nights and a lot of stress over the 4 years, I am so glad I'm doing it and really feel proud of myself. Honestly mate don't think about it anymore just put your name down and get yourself on a course it will be the best thing you've ever done.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:27 pm

Cheers guys, looking at doing a BSc in Project & Construction Management in Trinity Saint David. Im currently employed in doing project mgmt work, but the construction part is completely new to me.

I think the main issue is job prospects. I don't want to do a course & not go anywhere in it....the construction industry is a new area for me so I am a 'beginner' in that instance & having a piece of paper but no experience is on my mind a bit

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:49 pm

Left the Army and went back to Uni in 2010. Having done a few years hard work in dusty places and elsewhere stood me in good stead.

I originally went to uni straight from school, did no work, didn't attend and dropped out. After the Army and being a little more mature I treated uni like a job. Turned up, worked hard and smashed all my assignments. The work seemed easy and I wish I'd concentrated the first time round! However it was the Army that taught me to be a perfectionist and to work bloody hard. Uni the second time was a doddle, nowhere near 20 hour shifts in the Army!

If you're doing this course full time and you don't have to fit it around a job then my advice is to treat it as such. Go in, sit in the library and do your work 9-5 (ish). That way you'll get yourself a social life too! (although you'll be skint!)

I can't speak for part time students around a job. But I see plenty have replied above. Seems bloody hard. Wouldn't fancy that! Well done fellas.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Im 34 in sept and I'm just entering my second and final year of a part time degree in electrical engineering, I attend 1 day a week and tbh find it hard, I'm in college 10/11 hours a day. I also work 4 days and my wife goes to work when I get home and i have my 4 kids including 2 year old twins, so time to do the many assignments is very hard for me personally.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 pm

Any 'Mature' Students on here?..........Free student loans that never get payed back due to not earning enough, plus £1 a pint nights is all they do it for :laughing6: :bluescarf: