Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Mackay called Tan a 'chink'

Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Military Junta wrote:Not really as I don't like using that term however if you listened into a conversation between two friends one was white and one was black and you heard the white man call the black man a nigger would you put them right in the eyes of the PC Brigade ?

yeah, you keep using examples about friends and pets but thats not really the point is it?

agreed i don't like normalising it, but as has been mentioned its between friends (i dont agree but the person in question gives consent. much like you give consent when u sing 1-0 to the sheepshaggers)

but fine, lets put it a different way. you're a recruiter right? chinese guy comes in looking for a job (professional setting) would you say "alright chinky? take a seat and we'll see what we have for you"?

if you did i doubt your business would last too long

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Calling Tan a chink is not racist in itself. I think it may be a derogatory term and not very polite at best and perhaps rude but we live in a world that is not very polite don't we.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:Calling Tan a chink is not racist in itself. I think it may be a derogatory term and not very polite at best and perhaps rude but we live in a world that is not very polite don't we.

in what way is it not racist? its a serogatory term relating specifically and exclusivley to his racial background. nothing short of. nothing more than.

its not like calling him a loser or a c**t. its SPECIFICALLY relating to his ethnic background and, as you said, its derogatory. How can that possibly be anything other than racist?

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:37 pm

AlwaysBBlue wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:Calling Tan a chink is not racist in itself. I think it may be a derogatory term and not very polite at best and perhaps rude but we live in a world that is not very polite don't we.

in what way is it not racist? its a serogatory term relating specifically and exclusivley to his racial background. nothing short of. nothing more than.

its not like calling him a loser or a c**t. its SPECIFICALLY relating to his ethnic background and, as you said, its derogatory. How can that possibly be anything other than racist?

Its not racist because there is no inference that Tan is being talked about in the terms of his race possesing characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
There is also no proof that Malky directed his comments in a belief that someone of a different race was inferior to his own. What Malky did do was use an ill chosen phrase and a derogatory term for a Chinese man that has been in existence for decades that is impolite and downright rude.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Bluebird64 wrote:
AlwaysBBlue wrote:

Its not racist because there is no inference that Tan is being talked about in the terms of his race possesing characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
There is also no proof that Malky directed his comments in a belief that someone of a different race was inferior to his own. What Malky did do was use an ill chosen phrase and a derogatory term for a Chinese man that has been in existence for decades that is impolite and downright rude.

ill use the same example once again, just to make sure im understanding you correctly.

if i like jay-z and i say "jay-z man, that nigger (short for negro so apparently not racist, just an abbriviation) is sick. i love that niggers music!"

that wouldnt be racist?

it appears we have differing views on the subject, respect to you for putting ur point across well, not like some other idiots on this thread. and i called you ignorant on the other thread and i apologise for that as that isn't the case. but i simply couldn't use words like that in every day conversation, privately or publicly. As someone who's heritige is institutionaly mocked and insulted on a regular basis i'd see it as a knife to the gut of my family history.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Since this whole thing came out we've really got to see who the PC brigade are. Grow up and realise that nothing or nobody is perfect. This sort of behaviour happens literally everywhere so let it go

Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:54 pm

CantonJack wrote:Since this whole thing came out we've really got to see who the PC brigade are. Grow up and realise that nothing or nobody is perfect. This sort of behaviour happens literally everywhere so let it go

doesn't happen in my house, so no it doesn't happen "literally" everywhere.

if my kid came home and said one of those words id slap him into another nationality.

but you're right...it has exposed a few on here, the closit racists mainly

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:05 pm

AlwaysBBlue wrote:
Military Junta wrote:
AlwaysBBlue wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:Calling Tan a Chink makes someone a racist. Grow up FFS. :lol:

of course it does you f*cking moron, life i said in a previous post. would you call a black man a nigger?

are they any different?

Black men even call themselves niggers!!!

My neighbour has a black cat and they called him 'Blackie', does that mean that they are racist..?

yeah they do, its called reappropriation. As in its an oppresive word but when placed in their own hands it has been "taken back" and the negative connotations (from 400 years of slavery, im sure you already knew that though) are softened

but thats fine mate, practise what you preach, walk up to the next black person and say something like "excuse me nigger, do you have the time?"

obviously you won't do this because, like most racists, you're also a coward. or you know its wrong. i hope its the latter but i fear its the former

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:44 pm

AlwaysBBlue wrote:
Military Junta wrote:Not really as I don't like using that term however if you listened into a conversation between two friends one was white and one was black and you heard the white man call the black man a nigger would you put them right in the eyes of the PC Brigade ?

yeah, you keep using examples about friends and pets but thats not really the point is it?

agreed i don't like normalising it, but as has been mentioned its between friends (i dont agree but the person in question gives consent. much like you give consent when u sing 1-0 to the sheepshaggers)

but fine, lets put it a different way. you're a recruiter right? chinese guy comes in looking for a job (professional setting) would you say "alright chinky? take a seat and we'll see what we have for you"?

if you did i doubt your business would last too long

Many companies use agencies to ensure that they get a certain person lets just say.

The amount of companies I have heard saying Polish or Eastern European only would shock you. Having been in recruitment for over ten years I would say got to be 50+ companies by now who have blatantly said to me that they will work with us if we only put Polish or Eastern European guys their way. The biggest being the meat place in Merthyr

Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:55 pm

Military Junta wrote:The amount of companies I have heard saying Polish or Eastern European only would shock you. Having been in recruitment for over ten years I would say got to be 50+ companies by now who have blatantly said to me that they will work with us if we only put Polish or Eastern European guys their way. The biggest being the meat place in Merthyr

You're in recruitment ??!? :shock:

What do you say to people ? "I have two chinks and a blackie for you" "This candidate is an independently-minded young homo!"

Man alive, it doesn't bare thinking about!

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:09 pm

DrDre wrote:
Military Junta wrote:The amount of companies I have heard saying Polish or Eastern European only would shock you. Having been in recruitment for over ten years I would say got to be 50+ companies by now who have blatantly said to me that they will work with us if we only put Polish or Eastern European guys their way. The biggest being the meat place in Merthyr

You're in recruitment ??!? :shock:

What do you say to people ? "I have two chinks and a blackie for you" "This candidate is an independently-minded young homo!"

Man alive, it doesn't bare thinking about!

I refer you to the post above

Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:26 pm

AlwaysBBlue wrote:
Bluebird64 wrote:
AlwaysBBlue wrote:

ill use the same example once again, just to make sure im understanding you correctly.

if i like jay-z and i say "jay-z man, that nigger (short for negro so apparently not racist, just an abbriviation) is sick. i love that niggers music!"

that wouldnt be racist?

it appears we have differing views on the subject, respect to you for putting ur point across well, not like some other idiots on this thread. and i called you ignorant on the other thread and i apologise for that as that isn't the case. but i simply couldn't use words like that in every day conversation, privately or publicly. As someone who's heritige is institutionaly mocked and insulted on a regular basis i'd see it as a knife to the gut of my family history.

I think that Malky was certainly unwise to use such terms but there is clearly an overreaction here mainly due to racism in football and the struggle over the past few years to eradicate it from the sport. Its my opinion that the term chink is not being racist for the reasons I highlighted above and nobody would have raised an eyebrow if Malky was a comedian and used the word in one of his jokes on tv. On a serious note though, It is Tan who is leading the charge and insisting these are racist comments yet if he genuinely cared about the racist content perhaps he would have more credibility if he had highlighted the issue as soon as it came to his attention rather than sitting on the information until deciding to release it when it best suited his own agenda of causing Malky most damage.