Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' SLOW START TONIGHT/BUT WHAT A START TO THE SEASON '

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Cardiff City 1 Wigan Athletic o

Crowd 20,662 including 276 Wigan fans.

My View of tonights match.

Wigan to me was going to be our toughest match of the season so far and in my opinion that proved right.

A very slow start by Cardiff City tonight and Ole changed the line up once again, he dropped Le Fondre for Nicky Maynard which I have to say shocked me.

The first half to me seemed slow and we barely had a shot on goal. Both teams seemed to cancel each other out.

The crowd once again looked half a sleep and woke up for the 19:27 :bluescarf:

Fabio, I thought was outstanding in the first half and Kenwyne Jones and Brayford also stood out for me. :thumbright:

0-0 at half-time seemed fair.

Pilkington was brought on in place of a quite Daehli.

Ole changed the game dramatically in my opinion as bringing on Pilkington seemed to finally make us attack more and start to threaten the Wigan goal.

Great to see Nicky Maynard score a goal and yes it looks like it paid off playing Maynard,who might now start to grow in confidence. :ayatollah:

After going one nil up, I though we sat back for a while and Wigan did threaten us a few times.

Le Fondre was brought on for Maynard.

Taylor was substituted by Wigan and did the :ayatollah:

The last 10 minutes,nothing major happened and Cardiff controlled the game.

My Man of the Match goes to FABIO, he was everywhere, non stop. :thumbright: :thumbright:

Brayford was my 2nd Man of the Match :lol: :thumbright: :thumbright:

All in all a slow start to the game,a tough game,not very lively, but who cares, we won 1-0 :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ole: :ayatollah:

Another 3pts, thats 3 wins and a draw from our first 4 games,what a start to the season. :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ole: :ayatollah:

Wolves you are next :thumbright:

Re: ' Slow Start Tonight/But What a Start to the Season '

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:33 pm

Fabio was excellent today, and I was really happy with Pilkington, Morrison made a great tackle in the first half to save us where Wigan almost got one on one with Marshy.

Maynard ran his socks off today, and hopefully with this confidence he'll go on to score 5-10 for us this season.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:39 pm

Agree with Fabio as MoM, & Brayford to. Jones had another very good game too

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

We have a few options up front Jones has shone the most. Im not shocked Lefondre was dropped as he's not really shone to much ao far. We have Guerra and Macheda waiting to show us what they can do aswell and im really happy to see Maynard get off the mark its about time he kept his fitness and got a go as he was a quality striker before injury nightmares set in i'll always remember seeing him on the score sheet almost a weekly basis at Bristol and Crewe but never got a chance at West ham and injured not long after signing for us

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:42 pm

Both full backs did well but Jones is my standout so far this season :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Great win Annis, i wasn't happy that Hudson was dropped, but fair play to Morrison he stepped in and played really well, he reads the game so well . Brayford Fabio and Connelly all played well. Maynard ran his gutts out and was rewarded with a goal. Oh and that REf was fcukin awfull. Dont know waht Ole said to the team at half time but it worked.
:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ole: :ole:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Taylor coming off to a big applause and then him doing the :ayatollah: was a great moment.

Ironically, our fullbacks performances tonight show why we don't miss him.

He was a loyal servant though.

:wave:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 pm

Fabio excellent. Bradford and jones also

:ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:50 pm

Great win :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
20,000 for a tuesday night game is pretty good :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
Atmosphere was good :D

but the main thing is we got the 3 points ;)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Fabulous win, and really good to see our defense is not an issue anymore! And Saturday there are wolves on the menu :) :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:27 pm

CHRIS PIKE wrote:Great win Annis, i wasn't happy that Hudson was dropped, but fair play to Morrison he stepped in and played really well, he reads the game so well . Brayford Fabio and Connelly all played well. Maynard ran his gutts out and was rewarded with a goal. Oh and that REf was fcukin awfull. Dont know waht Ole said to the team at half time but it worked.

I was also unhappy Hudson was dropped, like Le Fondre, but Ole has proved right so far in his rotations :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:33 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
CHRIS PIKE wrote:Great win Annis, i wasn't happy that Hudson was dropped, but fair play to Morrison he stepped in and played really well, he reads the game so well . Brayford Fabio and Connelly all played well. Maynard ran his gutts out and was rewarded with a goal. Oh and that REf was fcukin awfull. Dont know waht Ole said to the team at half time but it worked.

I was also unhappy Hudson was dropped, like Le Fondre, but Ole has proved right so far in his rotations :thumbright: :ayatollah:

I don't think ole has been proved right in his rotations , he has been proved right in the signings he has made and the strength in depth he has added to the squad IMO . It doesn't matter who he drops and brings in because nearly everyone of them is a top quality player at this level and the team just doesn't seem to weaken whoever he picks :ayatollah:

Re: ' SLOW START TONIGHT/BUT WHAT A START TO THE SEASON '

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:34 pm

I agree fully but a player who gets his unfair slagging off on this forum had a good game tonight he fights for everything and that was Gunnerson

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:34 pm

Annis, I just don't think Maynard is up to it in this team. His touch is abysmal, he's not fast enough, and he's not reading the play, in my opinion. Le Fondre offers so much more as a partner to Jones, if you ask me.

Great start to the season. I'd be amazed if we took another 7 points from our next 3 games, but even if we don't we've given ourselves a good platform with these first three games.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

If we beat Wolves and Norwich the bookies will close the book on us ;)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:37 pm

CHRIS PIKE wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

If we beat Wolves and Norwich the bookies will close the book on us ;)

:lol:

They certainly will :thumbup:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:41 pm

thomasblue wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

I don't think ole has been proved right in his rotations , he has been proved right in the signings he has made and the strength in depth he has added to the squad IMO . It doesn't matter who he drops and brings in because nearly everyone of them is a top quality player at this level and the team just doesn't seem to weaken whoever he picks :ayatollah:

Strength in depth is a prerequisite for rotation. Sorry, but I canĀ“t see you having an argument here.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:53 pm

Fabio and Brayford give the team a good balance, to be greedy, I would like more creative midfielders threading passes through for the strikers more often, but really can't fault the team and Ole :ole: :bluescarf:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City 1 Wigan Athletic o

Wigan to me was going to be our toughest match of the season so far and in my opinion that proved right.

A very slow start by Cardiff City tonight and Ole changed the line up once again, he dropped Le Fondre for Nicky Maynard which I have to say shocked me.

The first half to me seemed slow and we barely had a shot on goal. Both teams seemed to cancel each other out.

Fabio, I thought was outstanding in the first half and Kenwyne Jones and Brayford also stood out for me. :thumbright:

Ole changed the game dramatically in my opinion as bringing on Pilkington seemed to finally make us attack more and start to threaten the Wigan goal.

Great to see Nicky Maynard score a goal and yes it looks like it paid off playing Maynard,who might now start to grow in confidence. :ayatollah:

After going one nil up, I though we sat back for a while and Wigan did threaten us a few times.

My Man of the Match goes to FABIO, he was everywhere, non stop. :thumbright: :thumbright:

All in all a slow start to the game,a tough game,not very lively, but who cares, we won 1-0 :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ole: :ayatollah:

Another 3pts, thats 3 wins and a draw from our first 4 games,what a start to the season. :thumbright: :bluescarf: :ole: :ayatollah:

That's a good summary of the game Annis.
I also thought Adeyemi did a lot of good work breaking things up at times in what was a very difficult team to play against in that they had a very strong midfield.
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :thumbup:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:12 pm

El Tel wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City 1 Wigan Athletic o

That's a good summary of the game Annis.
I also thought Adeyemi did a lot of good work breaking things up at times in what was a very difficult team to play against in that they had a very strong midfield.
:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :thumbup:

Cheers El Tel :thumbright:

I agree Adeyemi did and so far he has been a great asset :thumbright: :thumbright:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:19 pm

The England women's team were sitting a few rows in front of me. They're playing Wales on Thursday night. Fair play, they were joining in with some of the chanting, and cheered when we scored. They left before full time. Suppose they need their rest!

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:44 pm

The positives include being able to ground out a win when we are leading - we conceded far too many late goals last season, and although Wigan had some good pressure, we kept them at bay for the last 10 minutes by working hard, concentrating and keeping our shape and discipline. I agree Fabio was MOM...very much a confidence player, so when things go well for him early on, he goes from strength to strength. It's early days and the team is still getting to know each other, but I'm cautiously optimistic. There's no substitute for working hard though..we must continue to do that for 95 minutes and then our quality will come through. We now have two very tough away games but if we work hard throughout, keep our shape and discipline, then our quality can come through and we can get something from both games..

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:29 am

For me, it's all about the clean sheet.

What let us down last season wasn't goals scored, it was goals conceded. We have a top class set of marksmen so that will take care of itself. The best thing is that we can defend as well.

The squad rotation thing is a necessity to keep everyone happy and avoid over playing our stars risking injury. Ole is doing well so far. He seems to be comfortable with the change of environment and is sure footed in his match tactics. :thumbup:

Bluebirds!

:bluescarf:

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:57 am

Never been so bored or depressed at a football match as last nights first half (and i've followed Cardiff over the last 35 years on and off). Shite football to match the shite atmosphere. Left at half time and will be in no rush to return. Stick to away games from now on.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:05 am

stevee1966 wrote:Never been so bored or depressed at a football match as last nights first half (and i've followed Cardiff over the last 35 years on and off). Shite football to match the shite atmosphere. Left at half time and will be in no rush to return. Stick to away games from now on.

I don't believe you. Man, I've watched some seriously depressing football down the city over the last 35 years. Orient away with Shilton in goals, Bury away when Bartley the BLUEBIRD had a scrap with their mascot. Nil nil draw at home to Halifax to name but a few.

Cheer up man! Even some games under Malky were depressing but we needed to grind out wins for promotions. Often in the past we were just trying to stay up!

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:41 am

More atmosphere in a library though.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:57 am

stevee1966 wrote:Never been so bored or depressed at a football match as last nights first half (and i've followed Cardiff over the last 35 years on and off). Shite football to match the shite atmosphere. Left at half time and will be in no rush to return. Stick to away games from now on.

I can't believe how bad the atmosphere has been first 2 home games.Football is dying a death,all those new shiny red seats are ready and waiting for the glory hunters if we go up.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 am

Can't believe how many self-obsessed depressives feel obliged to express their opinions on CCFC on here...

First half we were quiet - good sub at half time Defoe spiced things up for us, good goal, something to shout about second half.

Lovely to hear Cowie, Taylor and Barnett getting deserved applause - big up for Taylor for his ayatollah in front of his own bench!!

And unlike most of the last few seasons, the oppo did not gave any chances last 10 mins.

No more than workmanlike, but that is part of the game, especially in this division,

CTID

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:50 am

iPhone typo - deffo not Defoe :-(

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:54 am

A hard-fought win. These are the results that matter, we could easily have dropped two points.

7 points from three games is very, very good.