Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Kenwyne Jones '

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:04 pm

' Why I believe Kenwyne Jones will be a success '

Kenwyne Jones has spent the past seven years in the Premier League, three seasons with Sunderland and three and half with Stoke.

At 29 years old Jones realistically has one chance at getting back to the Premier League and that is with Cardiff City this season.

His first four seasons in the top flight were relatively successful, scoring on average a goal in every three games.

Should the Trinidad and Tobago striker fail to make an impact this season then I can see his career going down the leagues and not to the riches of the Premier League.

Throughout his career in England over the past ten years, Jones has never once been a twenty goal a season striker but he will know himself that at his age this is probably his final chance at remaining at the top.

This in my opinion is a perfect scenario for Cardiff City at the right time in Jones' career and I have every confidence that we will see a determined striker putting in the performances to further his career for a few more years yet at this level or higher.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must take credit should Jones be a success this season but coupled with the players desire to stay at a good standard of football in England, I think we will see the best of Kenwyne Jones this year.

Re: Why I believe Kenwyne Jones will be a success

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:13 pm

Good post. Jones is drinking in last chance saloon. He has undoubted ability and I've seen a lot of footage of him being a real handful for defenders. Last season he was awful apart from his home debut v Norwich. Someone on here (Annis I think) alluded to personal problems last season which could well have had a huge impact on his form. Hopefully he will be up for every game this season and justify his 2million a year salary.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Because of the way he plays the game, he could play in the Premier at 34. Many similar players have played at the top for a lot longer.
He’s nearly at his peak now, both physical condition and mental ability, he’s far too good for the lower divisions, probably go abroad for his last few games.
Obviously he’s not a player who will get 20 plus goals a year. Anyone can see that simply isn’t his game. Ten goals a season, hold the ball up (not very good at that are you Kenwyne) and take the heat off our other strikers will be his job at Cardiff. You fail to realise if he could do it all he wouldn’t be a Cardiff player.
For different reasons I do agree with you, this could be a very good year for our Kenwyne
:bluescarf:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:31 pm

moonstomper1927 wrote:Because of the way he plays the game, he could play in the Premier at 34. Many similar players have played at the top for a lot longer.
He’s nearly at his peak now, both physical condition and mental ability, he’s far too good for the lower divisions, probably go abroad for his last few games.
Obviously he’s not a player who will get 20 plus goals a year. Anyone can see that simply isn’t his game. Ten goals a season, hold the ball up (not very good at that are you Kenwyne) and take the heat off our other strikers will be his job at Cardiff. You fail to realise if he could do it all he wouldn’t be a Cardiff player.
For different reasons I do agree with you, this could be a very good year for our Kenwyne
:bluescarf:

I believe like you he will compliment our other strikers, I can see Guerra being our main striker, Le Fondre finding he is a last 30 minute man and Macheda battling it out with Jones for the old fashioned hold up player.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:26 pm

Good start and great attitude, but will he keep a fit Guerra and Mecheda out ????

So many options time will tell :ayatollah: :ole:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:28 pm

Love the way you've posted this after he's scored 3 goals. Why didn't you have the guts to post last week :sleepy2:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:37 pm

People are making a meal out of this 'turnaround in form' to justify why they unfairly criticised KJ last season. His biggest crime last year was never fully fit and was hesitant in front of goal. He was an easy target as he came to us with a certain reputation. A reputation which had nothing to do with performances for Cardiff.

It isn't a surprise in the slightest to a few of us who stuck by him and always knew he would demolish the Championship - if fit.

He is the same player we had in the Premier League. Maybe this is the Kenwynne Jones situation is a lesson for our fans to show some support before laying into one of our own.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 pm

:lol:
Bluemovie wrote:Love the way you've posted this after he's scored 3 goals. Why didn't you have the guts to post last week :sleepy2:

:lol: :lol:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 pm

Bluemovie wrote:Love the way you've posted this after he's scored 3 goals. Why didn't you have the guts to post last week :sleepy2:

Maybe you want to read this then :roll: :sleepy2:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144700

Think I put my thoughts out well in advance :laughing6:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:40 pm

theclaw wrote::lol:

Oops and here is another whopper :laughing6:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144700 :sleepy2:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:43 pm

theclaw wrote::lol:

carlccfc wrote:

Maybe you want to read this then :roll: :sleepy2:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144700

Think I put my thoughts out well in advance :laughing6:

And it's all gone quiet over there :laughing5:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:47 pm

I said a while ago I thought he could do well this season and not many agreed, all the focus was on his wages.

I think he will be huge for us this season.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:49 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I said a while ago I thought he could do well this season and not many agreed, all the focus was on his wages.

Luke, I honestly believed he would be a reason that we would stay up last season but we know how that worked out.

I was hoping we would keep him this season and so far it is paying dividends :ayatollah:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:09 pm

carlccfc wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:I said a while ago I thought he could do well this season and not many agreed, all the focus was on his wages.

Luke, I honestly believed he would be a reason that we would stay up last season but we know how that worked out.

I was hoping we would keep him this season and so far it is paying dividends :ayatollah:

Fair play to the people who actually did back KJ before this season...

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141692

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=140535

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144542

Me posting these old threads might seem petty, but there is an important point here. In the stands, in the media and on the forums there always has to be a scapegoat with CCFC. Its like herd mentality you get with bullying at school. People in numbers pick on the most bullied. So the chances of that player getting the confidence they need diminishes.

It drives me up the wall that season on season Cardiff fans mindlessly criticise our own players like a reflex response. Even our player of the year the past two seasons David Marshall spent long periods on the receiving end. As did club captain Hudson.

If only we could support our team like the Seville fans. It would be worth 20 points a season...
Last edited by Otto on Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:10 pm

carlccfc wrote:Kenwyne Jones has spent the past seven years in the Premier League, three seasons with Sunderland and three and half with Stoke.

At 29 years old Jones realistically has one chance at getting back to the Premier League and that is with Cardiff City this season.

His first four seasons in the top flight were relatively successful, scoring on average a goal in every three games.

Should the Trinidad and Tobago striker fail to make an impact this season then I can see his career going down the leagues and not to the riches of the Premier League.

Throughout his career in England over the past ten years, Jones has never once been a twenty goal a season striker but he will know himself that at his age this is probably his final chance at remaining at the top.

This in my opinion is a perfect scenario for Cardiff City at the right time in Jones' career and I have every confidence that we will see a determined striker putting in the performances to further his career for a few more years yet at this level or higher.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer must take credit should Jones be a success this season but coupled with the players desire to stay at a good standard of football in England, I think we will see the best of Kenwyne Jones this year.

Unfortunately I think we'll only see the best of KJ until the transfer window closes. From September we'll see the KJ we saw last season because IMO he's only playing at his best because he wants a transfer back to the prem.
It's a shame because he could score 20-30 goals for us this season if he really wanted it.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:11 pm

He simply seems to be in a wonderful mood these days. I love to see him play with that smile on his face. Could become a cult figure at Cardiff. Have you ever witnessed someone going from being scapegoat number 1 to be the fans favorite in such short time at this club?

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Carl I heard over the weekend that his Mrs left him just before Xmas and was not letting him see the kids which would affect player on the pitch wether this is true or not I'm not sure but I think we will see a different Jones this year also

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:17 pm

Dve wrote:He simply seems to be in a wonderful mood these days. I love to see him play with that smile on his face. Could become a cult figure at Cardiff. Have you ever witnessed someone going from being scapegoat number 1 to be the fans favorite in such short time at this club?

Dve, sadly yes I have seen players go from being Scapegoat no: 1 to hero no: 1 this quick loads before. That's the point I made above and why I posted the old threads.

Kenwyne Jones is the same player we had six months ago. Granted the smile wasn't there, because neither was the backing from the fans. It's guilty till proven innocent at CCFC.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:19 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:Carl I heard over the weekend that his Mrs left him just before Xmas and was not letting him see the kids which would affect player on the pitch wether this is true or not I'm not sure but I think we will see a different Jones this year also

I don't know if that is true but when we played West Brom at the Hawthorns she was there watching him play.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:58 pm

carlccfc wrote:
BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:Carl I heard over the weekend that his Mrs left him just before Xmas and was not letting him see the kids which would affect player on the pitch wether this is true or not I'm not sure but I think we will see a different Jones this year also

I don't know if that is true but when we played West Brom at the Hawthorns she was there watching him play.

Probs bull then :lol:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Otto wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Me posting these old threads might seem petty, but there is an important point here. In the stands, in the media and on the forums there always has to be a scapegoat with CCFC. Its like herd mentality you get with bullying at school. People in numbers pick on the most bullied. So the chances of that player getting the confidence they need diminishes.

It drives me up the wall that season on season Cardiff fans mindlessly criticise our own players like a reflex response. Even our player of the year the past two seasons David Marshall spent long periods on the receiving end. As did club captain Hudson.

If only we could support our team like the Seville fans. It would be worth 20 points a season...

You make some good points here, Otto, but I suppose this is a common thing you´ll find on any football forum (or schoolyard). And there is also another element in this: people who stayed supportive of Ole also tended to defend his signings (like myself), while the Ole-bashers, of course, would not. (And isn´t hindsight also a beautiful thing :) ) But I would like to give credit to Carl, for being balanced as always.

It most be said, though, that Ole´s January signings now turn out to become good. Fabio, Jones, Daehli, and this season might even prove Eikrem to be worth the money. And maybe the Chairman´s signing, the 2nd of January, will be proven good as well :thumbup:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:20 pm

Penyfai Blue wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Kenwyne Jones has spent the past seven years in the Premier League, three seasons with Sunderland and three and half with Stoke.

Unfortunately I think we'll only see the best of KJ until the transfer window closes. From September we'll see the KJ we saw last season because IMO he's only playing at his best because he wants a transfer back to the prem.
It's a shame because he could score 20-30 goals for us this season if he really wanted it.

Unfortunately, I think you are posting on this forum only because you were unable to find any other forums. In a couple of weeks though, I think you will be active on Chelsea forums, cause after all, they are favorites of winning PL. It´s a shame because I think your insight in human mind will be massively missed.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:29 pm

Dve wrote:
Otto wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

You make some good points here, Otto, but I suppose this is a common thing you´ll find on any football forum (or schoolyard). And there is also another element in this: people who stayed supportive of Ole also tended to defend his signings (like myself), while the Ole-bashers, of course, would not. (And isn´t hindsight also a beautiful thing :) ) But I would like to give credit to Carl, for being balanced as always.

It most be said, though, that Ole´s January signings now turn out to become good. Fabio, Jones, Daehli, and this season might even prove Eikrem to be worth the money. And maybe the Chairman´s signing, the 2nd of January, will be proven good as well :thumbup:

Yeah like my plea for people on this forum to back players more is going to make a difference. :lol:

If my post sounded like a dig at Carl, it wasn't meant to be. In fact I have plagiarised in a post above one of the good points he made this week about the Seville fans. Which feeds into the same point - supporters should support!

Dve, I think in the future this will turn out to be our best transfer to date. Ole has shown tremendous talent in the transfer market. 10 signings in all. 6 on a free (including Danny Johnson, but there may have been a small fee there). The four fees that we paid out for Pilkington, Adeyemi, Morrison and ALF amount were all small fees in comparison to players we sold.

Our 10 signings this summer have cost us less in fees than Fulham paid for McCrormack or Blackburn forked out for Rhodes.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Otto wrote:
Dve wrote:
Otto wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Yeah like my plea for people on this forum to back players more is going to make a difference. :lol:

If my post sounded like a dig at Carl, it wasn't meant to be. In fact I have plagiarised in a post above one of the good points he made this week about the Seville fans. Which feeds into the same point - supporters should support!

Dve, I think in the future this will turn out to be our best transfer to date. Ole has shown tremendous talent in the transfer market. 10 signings in all. 6 on a free (including Danny Johnson, but there may have been a small fee there). The four fees that we paid out for Pilkington, Adeyemi, Morrison and ALF amount were all small fees in comparison to players we sold.

Our 10 signings this summer have cost us less in fees than Fulham paid for McCrormack or Blackburn forked out for Rhodes.

Didn´t sound to be that you were having a dig at Carl, and I absolutely support your support, to put it like that :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Dve wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

Unfortunately, I think you are posting on this forum only because you were unable to find any other forums. In a couple of weeks though, I think you will be active on Chelsea forums, cause after all, they are favorites of winning PL. It´s a shame because I think your insight in human mind will be massively missed.

WOW!! :shock:
I hope you feel better after getting that out. :thumbup:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 pm

Penyfai Blue wrote:
Dve wrote:
Penyfai Blue wrote:

WOW!! :shock:
I hope you feel better after getting that out. :thumbup:

Hehe, I sure do :laughing6:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:13 pm

If I have the time to search through threads before the Yeovil game everyone slated, I was one of a small small minority that backed him up. Told you so.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:26 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:If I have the time to search through threads before the Yeovil game everyone slated, I was one of a small small minority that backed him up. Told you so.

I've done it for you Dando. The first thread I've linked in the post above. You did back him. :ayatollah:

I've only bothered to make this point because the treatment of KJ when he arrived particularly bothered me. Glad the fans are backing him now and he's on his way to becoming a cult figure. The difference is he might become a cult figure who's actually good.

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:42 pm

Otto wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:If I have the time to search through threads before the Yeovil game everyone slated, I was one of a small small minority that backed him up. Told you so.

I've done it for you Dando. The first thread I've linked in the post above. You did back him. :ayatollah:

I've only bothered to make this point because the treatment of KJ when he arrived particularly bothered me. Glad the fans are backing him now and he's on his way to becoming a cult figure. The difference is he might become a cult figure who's actually good.

Thank you OTTO, you also had the same view on KJ. I am happy that fans are getting behind him but fans at our club don't seem to have much knowledge of the game these days that they never appreciated him to start with.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:05 am

Good post :thumbright: