Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

NOT THE CREATIVE FOOTBALL MANY HOPED TO SEE BUT ....

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Professional, hard working, disciplined performance.

They would be the words I would use to describe our performance this afternoon but it is far from the creative attacking football that many fans were hoping to see under Ole.

But I am happy with that to be honest.

I have always been a fan of the traditional 4-4-2, big man, short man up top. A solid back line that is organised and with an effective defensive midfield in front offering our goal two banks of four that is difficult to break down.

The best football I have seen a City team play was under Dave Jones in 2006, McNaughton and Gilbert overlapping the midfield and today's team selection reminds me of that style of football, we are not as potent as that team yet but we have the squad to become as good if not better. Brayford and Fabio are those types of full backs and I can only see them getting stronger as the season goes.

Of course we would all like to see Cardiff City score goals for fun whilst playing attractive and entertaining football but what I saw today is more than ample to satisfy my needs as a football fan.

It was a good all round organised performance and with more of an attacking threat to come it has to be smiles all round surely?

What I am more than impressed with is that Ole has tightened up the defence, ok we have conceded in each game so far but we are nowhere near the car crash waiting to happen that we were when Ole took over last season.

Tom Adeyemi is in my humble opinion going to be a top player for us this season, he lost his way a little in the second half but I saw enough in his first 65 minutes to believe he will be a main stay and a starter in this team, he is athletic, tough and a box to box player who will get better as the games come think and fast.

Adeyemi, like Daehli, has youth on his side and we as fans should remember that when things don't quite go the way we hope of the in certain games but these two will prove to be huge assets to Cardiff City football club.

Kenwyne Jones was immense in his duties today, he challenged aerially both in attack and defence and has started his season off brilliantly with three goals in two starts, it seems that Ole is keeping him hungry or just possibly building his stamina and match fitness slowly by taking him off when it appears he has more in the tank but if he carries on as he has started then we got a twenty goal striker in this division before we even look at Le Fondre, Maynard or Guerra.

With Pilkington and Morrison coming into the side, I believe City are more than capable of achieving their goals this season but I do believe that a settled side is more effective than a constantly changed eleven. Ole knows more about football than I could ever dream of knowing and in Ole we must trust but I do hope and judging by today, with just two changes made, we keep a settled eleven and continue to build on the early success we have achieved thus far.

Re: NOT THE CREATIVE FOOTBALL MANY HOPED TO SEE BUT ....

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:49 pm

A few changes in midfield and we could be a force to be reckoned with

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:52 pm

City Slicker wrote:A few changes in midfield and we could be a force to be reckoned with

Apart from Pilkington swapping places with Burgstaller, who else would you change ?

That's if you agree with Pilkington coming in :lol:

Or maybe you are thinking of Noone coming in as well and dropping Daehli ?

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Not in full throttle. Still without our most pacey influential player, Craig Noone. Still without new signing Pilkington etc.

What's to complain about. It was creative. I'd like to see the statistics of the game please

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:Not in full throttle. Still without our most pacey influential player, Craig Noone. Still without new signing Pilkington etc.

What's to complain about. It was creative. I'd like to see the statistics of the game please

I didn't think I was complaining, on the contrary I thought I was complimentary.

Was today the 'creative football' that you thought Ole was talking about when he joined the club?

If so then fine but I think the majority thought it would be slightly different but as I said I am not complaining.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:57 pm

carlccfc wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:Not in full throttle. Still without our most pacey influential player, Craig Noone. Still without new signing Pilkington etc.

I didn't think I was complaining, on the contrary I thought I was complimentary.

Was today the 'creative football' that you thought Ole was talking about when he joined the club?

If so then fine but I think the majority thought it would be slightly different but as I said I am not complaining.

It was just a bit on the creative football etc. In fairness you were complimentary and wrote an accurate summary of the game but we are still lacking a few players to come back just yet.

I don't think we will see pretty football just yet, I think if we continue to win games like that where we restrict teams to shoot from distance rather than inviting pressure and take the game to them then kill the game out without turning the heat on then come Christmas time, we will look a real attacking side with such great attacking prowess.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:03 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

It was just a bit on the creative football etc. In fairness you were complimentary and wrote an accurate summary of the game but we are still lacking a few players to come back just yet.

I don't think we will see pretty football just yet, I think if we continue to win games like that where we restrict teams to shoot from distance rather than inviting pressure and take the game to them then kill the game out without turning the heat on then come Christmas time, we will look a real attacking side with such great attacking prowess.

I think you are stating what I basically wrote.

There is a preconceived misperception that I am not supportive of Ole because I have been critical previously.

Strange thing is that most people accept that I was a fan of both Dave Jones and Malky Mackay but I criticised those managers in certain games too but some fans forget that and also conveniently forget that they criticised me for criticising the managers at the time.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Carl to be honest the championship isn't about being pretty it's about grinding results out and as long as the side does that then I'm more than happy to see some boring footy played and like u said in the Dave jones era we played pretty attractive football but look where that got us!!! At best the playoffs

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:23 pm

no1bluebird wrote:Carl to be honest the championship isn't about being pretty it's about grinding results out and as long as the side does that then I'm more than happy to see some boring footy played and like u said in the Dave jones era we played pretty attractive football but look where that got us!!! At best the playoffs

I totally agree with your comments, I am highlighting the fact that many believed we would see this free flowing Man Utd (under Sir Alex) brand of football but I am more than happy with what was served up today and I believe we can play better than the DJ team of 2006 with the players we have in our squad :thumbup:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:32 pm

Totally agree with you and I think people underestimate ole as a tactician yes last season it was a bit gun ho but we wasn't scoring enough to stay up so he totally went for goals cos we were destined to go down otherwise and I think he will have us set up right most games yes we will lose a few on the way but it won't be cos ole hasn't got a clue,far from it.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Very well written, and spot on. Best evaluation in a long time, by far. Thanks Carl!

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:45 pm

carlccfc wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

There is a preconceived misperception that I am not supportive of Ole because I have been critical previously.

Strange thing is that most people accept that I was a fan of both Dave Jones and Malky Mackay but I criticised those managers in certain games too but some fans forget that and also conveniently forget that they criticised me for criticising the managers at the time.

Carl don't explain yourself to this melt. Good post totally agree :bluescarf:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:47 pm

carlccfc wrote:Professional, hard working, disciplined performance.

They would be the words I would use to describe our performance this afternoon but it is far from the creative attacking football that many fans were hoping to see under Ole.

I have always been a fan of the traditional 4-4-2, big man, short man up top. A solid back line that is organised and with an effective defensive midfield in front offering our goal two banks of four that is difficult to break down.

The best football I have seen a City team play was under Dave Jones in 2006, McNaughton and Gilbert overlapping the midfield and today's team selection reminds me of that style of football, we are not as potent as that team yet but we have the squad to become as good if not better. Brayford and Fabio are those types of full backs and I can only see them getting stronger as the season goes.

Of course we would all like to see Cardiff City score goals for fun whilst playing attractive and entertaining football but what I saw today is more than ample to satisfy my needs as a football fan.

It was a good all round organised performance and with more of an attacking threat to come it has to be smiles all round surely?

What I am more than impressed with is that Ole has tightened up the defence, ok we have conceded in each game so far but we are nowhere near the car crash waiting to happen that we were when Ole took over last season.

Tom Adeyemi is in my humble opinion going to be a top player for us this season, he lost his way a little in the second half but I saw enough in his first 65 minutes to believe he will be a main stay and a starter in this team, he is athletic, tough and a box to box player who will get better as the games come think and fast.

Adeyemi, like Daehli, has youth on his side and we as fans should remember that when things don't quite go the way we hope of the in certain games but these two will prove to be huge assets to Cardiff City football club.

Kenwyne Jones was immense in his duties today, he challenged aerially both in attack and defence and has started his season off brilliantly with three goals in two starts, it seems that Ole is keeping him hungry or just possibly building his stamina and match fitness slowly by taking him off when it appears he has more in the tank but if he carries on as he has started then we got a twenty goal striker in this division before we even look at Le Fondre, Maynard or Guerra.

With Pilkington and Morrison coming into the side, I believe City are more than capable of achieving their goals this season but I do believe that a settled side is more effective than a constantly changed eleven. Ole knows more about football than I could ever dream of knowing and in Ole we must trust but I do hope and judging by today, with just two changes made, we keep a settled eleven and continue to build on the early success we have achieved thus far.

Stopped reading here, no offence Carl.

Fed up of people guessing that we were a "car crash waiting to happen" as you've put it here, before Malky left.

The fact is that he had overcome every challenge that faced him at Cardiff and we were outside the relegation zone when he was sacked. I believe that we would have stayed up if he had stayed, others don't which is fair enough - we'll never know for sure. But people talk like they know for certain that we were going down under Malky when there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that, in fact general results and our league position suggest the exact opposite.

As for the rest of what you wrote before that, I agree generally, I'd like to see us play attacking football under Ole but as long as we get the results, that's the most important thing.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:50 pm

nubbsy wrote:
carlccfc wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:
carlccfc wrote:

Carl don't explain yourself to this melt. Good post totally agree :bluescarf:

I wasn't disagreeing with Carl, I was just merely pointing out we had players left out and we're in full throttle, which Carl seems to have covered.

Away with you, moron.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:53 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:

Fed up of people guessing that we were a "car crash waiting to happen" as you've put it here, before Malky left.

The fact is that he had overcome every challenge that faced him at Cardiff and we were outside the relegation zone when he was sacked. I believe that we would have stayed up if he had stayed, others don't which is fair enough - we'll never know for sure. But people talk like they know for certain that we were going down under Malky when there's no evidence whatsoever to suggest that, in fact general results and our league position suggest the exact opposite.

As for the rest of what you wrote before that, I agree generally, I'd like to see us play attacking football under Ole but as long as we get the results, that's the most important thing.

And Scott you have just posted exactly what I said people have criticised me for previously.

I, and I thought this was a given fact on this forum, believed Malky Mackay would have kept this club in the Premier League last season had he not had the pressure of the owner over him.

The car crash defence I speak about was when Ole was in charge last season and not of Malky as I often stated that Malky was a 'safety only' and not a 'safety first' type of manager.

I think you have misconstrued my post or the meaning of it.

So please continue read past the point of the 'car crash' :thumbup:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Upon reflection Scott I should have used the word 'once' or 'after' and not when Ole took over :thumbup:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:03 pm

CookingWithGas wrote:Very well written, and spot on. Best evaluation in a long time, by far. Thanks Carl!

Thank you, very much appreciated :thumbup: :bluescarf:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 pm

carlccfc wrote:Upon reflection Scott I should have used the word 'once' or 'after' and not when Ole took over :thumbup:

In that case, I take back what I said. :bluescarf:

Meant nothing personal Carl, it just frustrates me when people state as fact that we were going down under Malky, which obviously I know now you weren't actually suggesting, although many others do.

Having read the rest of your article now, I agree about Adeyemi and Jones, and I do think we are more than capable of going back up with this squad - however I'm still yet to be convinced by Ole and I do think he will continue to rotate the squad too much and that could cost us. I hope he proves me wrong. :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:17 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:
carlccfc wrote:Upon reflection Scott I should have used the word 'once' or 'after' and not when Ole took over :thumbup:

In that case, I take back what I said. :bluescarf:

Meant nothing personal Carl, it just frustrates me when people state as fact that we were going down under Malky, which obviously I know now you weren't actually suggesting, although many others do.

Having read the rest of your article now, I agree about Adeyemi and Jones, and I do think we are more than capable of going back up with this squad - however I'm still yet to be convinced by Ole and I do think he will continue to rotate the squad too much and that could cost us. I hope he proves me wrong. :ayatollah:

Some rotation may be good, but you know, it´s easier to keep a winning site than a losing one ;)

Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:01 pm

Settled team is a must! Ole must pick a winning side!
Creative football we were hopin for?????
Adeyemi has turned out to be an absolute treat!! We lacked natural width today but, we r shaping as a team. We r in the rite track!

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:34 am

Agree spot on :thumbup:

I was very impressed yesterday, and liked the fullbacks, and we have unbelievable options with Pilkington, Noone, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Morrison, Guerra, Cala and Mecheda to try and fit in, what a squad :ayatollah:

Well done Ole, fantastic recruitment job :ole: :bluescarf:

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Agree spot on :thumbup:

I was very impressed yesterday, and liked the fullbacks, and we have unbelievable options with Pilkington, Noone, Kagisho Dikgacoi, Morrison, Guerra, Cala and Mecheda to try and fit in, what a squad :ayatollah:

Well done Ole, fantastic recruitment job :ole: :bluescarf:

I think it would be difficult for anybody to be negative about our transfer dealings this summer.

:ayatollah:

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:31 pm

no1bluebird wrote:Carl to be honest the championship isn't about being pretty it's about grinding results out and as long as the side does that then I'm more than happy to see some boring footy played and like u said in the Dave jones era we played pretty attractive football but look where that got us!!! At best the playoffs

I heard Nigel Pearson say yesterday that you can't win every game the same way. Some days you will dominate, some days you grind it out and some days you steal it. And some days, like yesterday, you are just better than the opposition, take your chances and win. :ole:

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:22 pm

scott_w_ccfc wrote:

I don't think malky would have kept us up.....simply because the relationship with him and tan was broke.

There would have been no new signings in the January window, and before malky left that team was spiralling downwards towards the relegation zone. Stoke away, villa away palace away all games that were there for the taking and we fucked it up.