Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Joe mason set to sign a new deal.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer believes Joe Mason has a bright Bluebirds future - even though he is set to send the young striker out on loan.

He will join a Championship club on loan with Bolton Wanderers and Brighton leading the chase, but Solskjaer is keen to ensure Mason signs a new contract first.

“Joe has a big future with Cardiff City and we are having talks on a new contract,” said Solskjaer. “When they are concluded Joe is likely to go out on loan. I want him playing first team football and continuing his development.”

Mason’s current deal ends in 2016, but Solskjaer wants him to commit beyond that

Cardiff paid £250,000 for Mason when they signed him from Plymouth Argyle three years ago and he has scored 15 goals in 35 league starts plus 32 appearance as a substitute.

Solskjaer clearly believes the former Republic of Ireland under-21 international has the potential to become a City first team regular, but he would find opportunities restricted this season with Javi Guerra, Adam Le Fondre, Federico Macheda, Nicky Maynard and Kenwyne Jones also battling for two starting places.

Mason had two spells at Bolton last season and would again link up with Cardiff City club-mate Kevin McNaughton, who is already on loan at Wanderers, if he does accept manager Dougie Freedman’s offer.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... on-7533485

Re: Joe mason set to sign a new deal.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Didn't expect that. :ole:

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:17 pm

thats out of blue - just in case he does a mccormack - clubs want to buy him theyll have to pay bigger fee :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:19 pm

good to see, he's a young player that always puts a shift in, and can play in different positions.

he'll also not moan if he has to sit out a couple of games on the bench, unlike players with big reputations and egos.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:49 pm

He must be good in training Ole knows a striker when he see's one, good for him, I have met him quite a few times and is a really grounded footballer.....

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:59 pm

The right way to go about it.

It's a shame he hadn't been loaned out the last two years.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:10 pm

I think he could be a very good player for us given the chance.
Don't like the idea of loaning players out to teams which are going to be around us this season though.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:46 pm

Mason is probably a victim of the Kenwyn Fortune-West saga.

Most people would have agreed that they never factored the Trinidad Terror in the mix for this season
but he has put a shift through training and scored 2 goals in friendlies.

I would like to see mason here.
Although a different player type, I believe he is on a par with ALF, Mach, Maynard.

Kenywn and Guerra could be hits and miss's this season - we will wait and see!
Up and down like a milkmans handbrake!!!

Rhys Healy is another talent too :bluescarf: :ole: :bluescarf:

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:16 pm

Sky Sports tonight understand that Cardiff striker Joe Mason is in talks with the South Wales club over a new contract.

The 23 year old striker is discussing a new deal at the club, but is expected to still leave on loan in the near future. Mason has been at the club since Cardiff signed him in 2011 from Plymouth.

He’s fallen down the ranks at Cardiff since the club got promoted to the Premier League in 2013. Joe Mason was an important player inCardiff’s promotion to the top division.

Cardiff boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is eager for the 23 year old to sign a new deal before shipping him out on loan, Bolton have expressed their interest in taking the striker on a second loan spell.

Solskjaer said “Joe has a big future with Cardiff and we are having talks over a new contract”

“When they are concluded Joe is likely to go out on loan”

Joe Mason’s current deal expires in 2016.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:30 pm

I think managers get a lot of credit when things go right and take a lot of flack when things don't. I think there are 'suits' who probably don't get the credit they deserve at CCFC these days. Something has changed in the mentality of our club behind the scenes and it seems nearly every decision that is made these days at the club is all about the long term compared to a few years ago. Maybe its just because we have a rich benefactor now and we can back these kind of (logical) choices by signing cheques....

All good.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am

Bolton media

Bolton Wanderers close in on Cardiff City striker Joe Mason

6:20am Thursday 31st July 2014 in Latest By Marc Iles

Joe Mason is back on Wanderers' radar

WANDERERS are poised to bring Joe Mason back for a third spell on loan – but fans may still have to be patient before seeing him in action.

It appears Dougie Freedman is winning the battle to sign the young striker ahead of Brighton and one un-named Championship club.

But while the Whites are confident of landing their man, it has emerged Cardiff City boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants Mason to agree a new contract before sending him out for more games.

Speaking yesterday, the Norwegian coach insisted that although he is looking to loan out the 22-year-old, he still wants him at the Cardiff City Stadium in the longer term.

“Joe has a big future with Cardiff City and we are having talks on a new contract,” said Solskjaer. “When they are concluded Joe is likely to go out on loan. I want him playing first-team football and continuing his development.”

Mason’s current deal ends in 2016 but Solskjaer wants him to commit beyond that.

The length of the loan is not yet known, although Freedman has hinted that he is not looking for short-term deals this season.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 am

Brilliant for all parties, have a lot of faith in Joe Mason

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Big future? Yes with us.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Brighton & hove Albion wrote:Big future? Yes with us.

Think he's in oles plans hence new deal on offer we just loan him to you for game time and experience and hopefully have him back a better player :thumbup:

Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:59 pm

bolton his preferred destination

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:05 pm

BluebirdsTilIDie wrote:

bolton his preferred destination

Well if that's his choice then he has no ambitions.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:09 pm

Gaffer wrote:

Think he's in oles plans hence new deal on offer we just loan him to you for game time and experience and hopefully have him back a better player :thumbup:

That's why I'm against these loan deals. Rather pay you £1.5m than a loan because if he has a good season and bangs the goals in and say he scored 20 goals then his valuation would rocket. Hate being a club who natures youngeters only for the home club to reap the rewards while we suffer and look for likewise players.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:16 pm

Brighton & hove Albion wrote:
Gaffer wrote:

That's why I'm against these loan deals. Rather pay you £1.5m than a loan because if he has a good season and bangs the goals in and say he scored 20 goals then his valuation would rocket. Hate being a club who natures youngeters only for the home club to reap the rewards while we suffer and look for likewise players.

Completely agree with you I don't believe you should be able to loan off clubs in same league anywhy.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:23 pm

Gaffer wrote:
Gaffer wrote:

Completely agree with you I don't believe you should be able to loan off clubs in same league anywhy.

I'm in agreement. Another thing that bugs me is that all transfer dealings should be completed by the time all teams kick off their matches in August and not let it roll over till September the 1st.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm

Gaffer wrote:
Gaffer wrote:

I'm in agreement. Another thing that bugs me is that all transfer dealings should be completed by the time all teams kick off their matches in August and not let it roll over till September the 1st.

That would be ideal nothing worst than having a unsettled player hanging around the squad.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Gaffer wrote:
Gaffer wrote:
Gaffer wrote:

That would be ideal nothing worst than having a unsettled player hanging around the squad.

Take us for a prime exsample. We want Ward back from Wolves but are unwilling to pay Wolves what they want because he's in his last year so we're playing hardball hoping they'll give in an let him leave on a free but in the meantime we're not looking for another left back as we think they'll buckle and we'll get him. If the transfer dealings ended by August the 6th and no progress has been made then we'd stuffed.

But given the loan system doesn't end till September the 1st then we'll still be confidant of getting him on loan. Erase this silly nonsense and make teams have all their business rapped up before the season starts.

hate using this god dam phone as have fat fingers :(