Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' City get set back in their attempt to sign United player '

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:23 pm

Wednesday 30th July 2014

Cardiff City’s hopes of landing Manchester United starlet Michael Keane appear to have suffered a setback after Louis van Gaal admitted he is considering keeping the highly-rated youngster at Old Trafford.

Bluebirds boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has targeted Keane as an ideal replacement for Steven Caulker, having previously worked with the England under-21 international during his time in Manchester.

But Keane has been handed his first-team opportunity with the Premier League giants in recent weeks, featuring in three of United’s glamour pre-season friendlies against Inter Milan, Roma and LA Galaxy.

And, while van Gaal himself is targeting defensive re-enforcements following the departures of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, he admitted the youngster, along with team-mate Tyler Blackett, has impressed him.

Asked if he needed to strengthen following a 0-0 draw with Inter, he said: “I am looking at the defenders we have first.

“We are doing well, but it is right that we are looking for defenders because a lot of defenders have gone.

“We have to replace them, but I also like what I’ve seen from Michael Keane and Tyler Blackett.

“We have to wait and see if we can do that in more matches.

“Premier League football will be another test.”