Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " MATCH DAY THREAD ' -CARDIFF CITY v WOLFSBURG '

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Mason on :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 pm

jamie1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:We can't defend, can score goals though.

Exactly this

It will be like this all season in my opinion, exciting though

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:50 pm

They lost possession in the last 15 min. Lots of imprecise passing in midfield.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:53 pm

Done my money :cry:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:54 pm

Tommy2 wrote:They lost possession in the last 15 min. Lots of imprecise passing in midfield.

We lost a lot of impetus when John replaced Fabio. John didn't provide Eikrem an option enough then needlessly gave the ball away more often than not.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Declan was waaaay off, so obvious when he came on. They started attacking there right away - and eikrem didnt get space becuase of it as well. Space === time to do the passing.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:57 pm

Whitts again proving to be our best player :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Eikrem started well but had a lot of misplaced passes at the latter part of the game. Saw the same from him last season, when the pace is higher and opposition is pressing high up he tends to get stressed on the ball. Shame because he is such a good passer of the ball if he only could get used to the pace.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:02 pm

John and Connoly were no good, Eikrem is not up to it .

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Tommy2 wrote:Eikrem started well but had a lot of misplaced passes at the latter part of the game. Saw the same from him last season, when the pace is higher and opposition is pressing high up he tends to get stressed on the ball. Shame because he is such a good passer of the ball if he only could get used to the pace.

Coincided with Johns introduction. The kid offered him nothing and he all of a sudden was being double marked with the ball away. I want Declan to succeed but currently he's a hell of a long way from good enough

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Tommy2 wrote:Eikrem started well but had a lot of misplaced passes at the latter part of the game. Saw the same from him last season, when the pace is higher and opposition is pressing high up he tends to get stressed on the ball. Shame because he is such a good passer of the ball if he only could get used to the pace.

To be fair Eirkrem got minimal help when John came on. He was a lot better with fabio providing a lot more space for him.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:10 pm

mugsy wrote:Whitts again proving to be our best player :ayatollah:

Even tracked back and tackled today. :bluescarf:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:24 pm

After that performance I would play the following against Blackburn:

Marshall
Brayford
Connolly
Hudson
Fabio
Whitts
Daehli
Burgstaller
Harris
Le Fondre
Macheda

Subs: Moore John new CB Eikrem Maynard Guerra Jones

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:25 pm

stentona wrote:After that performance I would play the following against Blackburn:

Marshall
Brayford
Connolly
Hudson
Fabio
Whitts
Daehli
Burgstaller
Harris
Le Fondre
Macheda

I think this midfield would get overrun.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Very good game, and their first half goals really came out of nowhere in my opinion.

I'm really concerned at how badly we dealt with crosses though, as it's something we will face a lot of in this league. We need to defend them better, and quickly.

Very few teams will be able to cope with our attacking force though.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:34 pm

aleksano wrote:
stentona wrote:After that performance I would play the following against Blackburn:

Marshall
Brayford
Connolly
Hudson
Fabio
Whitts
Daehli
Burgstaller
Harris
Le Fondre
Macheda

Maybe Eikrem for Harris then if we need to be better at keeping the ball. Harris to come on if needed later against a tiring defence :thumbright:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:36 pm

stentona wrote:
aleksano wrote:

Marshall
Brayford
Connolly
Hudson
Fabio
Whitts
Daehli
Burgstaller
Harris
Le Fondre
Macheda

Maybe Eikrem for Harris then if we need to be better at keeping the ball. Harris to come on if needed later against a tiring defence :thumbright:

I think we need to play either whitts or daehli together with a defensive midfieldwarrior. Assuming it's 442 and ur thinking of putting them both centrally.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Declan John is so overrated, think the lad is way out of his depth and needs to be loaned out to gain experience

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:40 pm

stentona wrote:
aleksano wrote:

Marshall
Brayford
Connolly
Hudson
Fabio
Whitts
Daehli
Burgstaller
Harris
Le Fondre
Macheda

Mate, dicgacoi needs to be on the team sheet if fit. There needs to be one defensive midfielder in the mix. We need that guy that is gonna break opposition play, make tackles and provide a link to defense.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:59 pm

Tommy2 wrote:
stentona wrote:
aleksano wrote:

Marshall
Brayford
Connolly
Hudson
Fabio
Whitts
Daehli
Burgstaller
Harris
Le Fondre
Macheda

Mate, dicgacoi needs to be on the team sheet if fit. There needs to be one defensive midfielder in the mix. We need that guy that is gonna break opposition play, make tackles and provide a link to defense.

I agree but he's obviously not fit at the moment.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:00 pm

Wolfpac wrote:Declan John is so overrated, think the lad is way out of his depth and needs to be loaned out to gain experience

Sadly, he does look very much out of his depth. He just doesn't seem to read the game at all, and merely reacts to what is happening around him instead of trying to prevent it from happening.

He'd maybe be better with a leader beside him, bossing him around, but we ain't got that right now.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Very good game for a friendly against quality opposition. Stand out players today for me were Whitts & Fabio.
Good performances from Brayford, Biurgstaller & Le Fondre.
Harris did very well for the short time he was on.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:46 pm

More work needed in defence but good early signs from attacking players. If we can plug a few holes, the goals will come at the other end. Encouraging.

:bluescarf:

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 pm

Woodville Willie wrote:More work needed in defence but good early signs from attacking players. If we can plug a few holes, the goals will come at the other end. Encouraging.

:bluescarf:

:thumbup: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:53 am

Great result for City. Wolfsburg are a top team. Better than any team in our league this season. They lost Jung on Friday due to an injury. That is no all 3 right defenders injured (Jung, Traesch and Ochs). This made them play 3 at back which they haven't done for years.
Good feeling for both my teams for this season..

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:00 am

Enjoyed the game, it was a good test that it took a awhile for City to get into. Wolfsburg were dictating the game for a bit and def looked a class above Cardiff although we did still make chances.

Once Cardiff uped their tempo and starte to press more, we looked alot better

I dont understand Kims role, i don't dislike him but i just dont understand how he fits in.

There seemed some nice structure in the team, 433 going forward and they went 442 without the ball.

Connolly got better as the game went on and it looks like he wants to win every header and nearly did, Brayford got better as the game went on and Fabio was great going forward and made some nice tackles. Both were a bit guilty of not looking up a few times thought were some good options were on.

I still feel like me miss someone in the middle, alot of the time City had 4 at the back with Whits and Gunn in front, which left a big hole in the middle resulting in some long balls from us or isolated forwards.

Jones deffo looked fired up and alot fitter also lighter, won alot of headers too.

Anyone else think Gunners was just there? He did his job, few times he was intercepting the ball in front of the CBs but he just didnt look like he was part of the team, like "im here to do my job, dont care if no one likes me"

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Logie wrote:Enjoyed the game, it was a good test that it took a awhile for City to get into. Wolfsburg were dictating the game for a bit and def looked a class above Cardiff although we did still make chances.

Once Cardiff uped their tempo and starte to press more, we looked alot better

I dont understand Kims role, i don't dislike him but i just dont understand how he fits in.

There seemed some nice structure in the team, 433 going forward and they went 442 without the ball.

Connolly got better as the game went on and it looks like he wants to win every header and nearly did, Brayford got better as the game went on and Fabio was great going forward and made some nice tackles. Both were a bit guilty of not looking up a few times thought were some good options were on.

I still feel like me miss someone in the middle, alot of the time City had 4 at the back with Whits and Gunn in front, which left a big hole in the middle resulting in some long balls from us or isolated forwards.

Jones deffo looked fired up and alot fitter also lighter, won alot of headers too.

Anyone else think Gunners was just there? He did his job, few times he was intercepting the ball in front of the CBs but he just didnt look like he was part of the team, like "im here to do my job, dont care if no one likes me"

To me Gunnarsson is just ok. I'm hoping Dikgacoi will prove to be a better option in the middle of the park.