Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

THE CASE FOR THE DEFENCE

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:13 am

I believe that we already have the back division to win this league! last year our back four was KTC, Caulker, Turner and Taylor/John and yes it leaked far too many goals even with the best keeper in the league behind it. As we stand at this point in time my back four would be Brayford, Hudson, Cala and Fabio. So with Brayford not even getting anywhere near the squad, Hudson being left on the bench and then injured, Fabio now fully up to speed, means its an entirely new back four, this coupled with the fact that the quality of striker will be nowhere near the level faced last year tells me that we cannot take last years back four as a reference point for this season. We do indeed have a new back division and a team that will have a LEADER (Hudson) on the park which was lacking throughout last season.

My glass is always half full and I think we can take storm this league :bluescarf:

Re: THE CASE FOR THE DEFENCE

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 am

Im not convinced about Fabio he s the weak link in defence no strength and not good with high balls . :bluescarf:

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 am

You've made some decent enough points mate but at this moment I think Hudson is a bit of an unknown as we haven't really seen much of him since our promotion season. Hopefully he can be the same player as then & if so he will be fine but I have some doubts.
You haven't mentioned Connolly who I think can definitely do a job for us this year. I would only buy a new centre half if we could get a top player like Fonte (who I never thought we'd be able to get) or similar who can improve us & not someone along the same lines as what we have.
P.S. Have you chosen the name 'Whistler' fro Prison Break!?? :-)

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:38 am

splott bluebird wrote:Im not convinced about Fabio he s the weak link in defence no strength and not good with high balls . :bluescarf:

Fair do's but I think Fabio is a great player - skilful, passionate & gives it everything. Saying that, his defending does needs a bit of improving.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:09 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:You've made some decent enough points mate but at this moment I think Hudson is a bit of an unknown as we haven't really seen much of him since our promotion season. Hopefully he can be the same player as then & if so he will be fine but I have some doubts.
You haven't mentioned Connolly who I think can definitely do a job for us this year. I would only buy a new centre half if we could get a top player like Fonte (who I never thought we'd be able to get) or similar who can improve us & not someone along the same lines as what we have.

No the whistler name comes from years as a referee, without the white stick and yes I do have a birth certificate :laughing6:

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 am

Whistler wrote:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:You've made some decent enough points mate but at this moment I think Hudson is a bit of an unknown as we haven't really seen much of him since our promotion season. Hopefully he can be the same player as then & if so he will be fine but I have some doubts.

No the whistler name comes from years as a referee, without the white stick and yes I do have a birth certificate :laughing6:

Cardiff & District or Combination?
Or am I doing you an injustice & you were higher level?

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:24 am

I'm happy with our full backs. Fabio has become more settled and will boss the Championship I reckon. I think John will really develop this year too. I am concerned about the centre backs. I think Cala could just about cope effectively but Hudson and Turner are a season older than when we went up. I'm willing to give Hudson a chance but it was a nasty injury he suffered. Will he come back just as well, 12 months on?

The lack of depth worries me too. Connolly? I'm not convinced he's consistent enough. Saying that, right now, I'd probably have Connolly and Cala as my starting centre backs for the first game.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:28 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Whistler wrote:

Cardiff & District or Combination?
Or am I doing you an injustice & you were higher level?

GM Comference (Blue Square Premier), Football Combination, league of Wales, Welsh League, South Wales Amateur & Senior ( just finished on the last two with the buggers running too fast for me :?

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am

splott bluebird wrote:Im not convinced about Fabio he s the weak link in defence no strength and not good with high balls . :bluescarf:

I see your point but luckily I feel he wont be punished so many times for his mistakes this season

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 pm

How many times are people going to select CALA for this first game....HE IS SUSPENDED

Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:46 pm

Yes no take your point but what I was talking about was if all players being available where does that leave the possible defence :thumbright:

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:10 pm

I can't really see what everyone's worries are about our defence if I am honest

Last time in the championship we had

Taylor turner Hudson Connolly

This season we have (my opinion)

Fabio and john both better than Taylor at LB
Cala turner Hudson and Connolly to choose from all good for this level
Ktc brayford are better RBs than Connolly as he is a centre back

I must say I am very optimistic this season as our squad looks dare I say stronger than the start of last season..... Even with losing caulker and medel. Great depth available to ole in every position.