Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' NICKY MAYNARD '

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:25 pm

MY OPINION, I've always felt he could do an excellent job in the Championship and I reckon Maynard will be one of our star players this season :thumbright:

Club Call Cardiff City

NICKY MAYNARD

Tuesday 29th July 2014.

Championship Maynard upbeat on fresh start Championship

Cardiff City striker Nicky Maynard says he can't wait to get going in what feels like a fresh start with the Bluebirds.

The ex-West Ham forward suffered a serious knee injury not long after his arrival in the Welsh capital in August 2012 and has not been able to get a good run in the side as a result. However, after manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sent the 27-year-old out on loan to Wigan last season, Maynard is now looking to kick-start his Cardiff career in the Championship.

He said: "It feels as though I have joined a new club and I can't wait for the season to start. "I haven't played for Cardiff as much as I would have liked and this is a new start for me. "The gaffer was tremendous, telling me to go out on loan last season, play regular first-team football and return for pre-season raring to go. "I was a bit-part player before going to Wigan, but I've come back fitter than ever."

Re: ' NICKY MAYNARD '

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:27 pm

If he can get his confidence up then he could be awesome ,this year I feel we have an awesome strike force and a quality big squad

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:29 pm

wez1927 wrote:If he can get his confidence up then he could be awesome ,this year I feel we have an awesome strike force and a quality big squad

Wez, Maynard with his confidence back,will shine and with our strike force we should have most the top scorers in the division :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
wez1927 wrote:If he can get his confidence up then he could be awesome ,this year I feel we have an awesome strike force and a quality big squad

Wez, Maynard with his confidence back,will shine and with our strike force we should have most the top scorers in the division :thumbright: :ayatollah:

just need to sort defence out

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:33 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Im sure we will - once we do BRING IT ON :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Forever Blue wrote:MY OPINION, I've always felt he could do an excellent job in the Championship and I reckon Maynard will be one of our star players this season :thumbright:

Club Call Cardiff City

NICKY MAYNARD

Tuesday 29th July 2014.

Championship Maynard upbeat on fresh start Championship

Cardiff City striker Nicky Maynard says he can't wait to get going in what feels like a fresh start with the Bluebirds.

The ex-West Ham forward suffered a serious knee injury not long after his arrival in the Welsh capital in August 2012 and has not been able to get a good run in the side as a result. However, after manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sent the 27-year-old out on loan to Wigan last season, Maynard is now looking to kick-start his Cardiff career in the Championship.

He said: "It feels as though I have joined a new club and I can't wait for the season to start. "I haven't played for Cardiff as much as I would have liked and this is a new start for me. "The gaffer was tremendous, telling me to go out on loan last season, play regular first-team football and return for pre-season raring to go. "I was a bit-part player before going to Wigan, but I've come back fitter than ever."

Annis, I really hope you're right. He has been top quality at this level - its a bit of a worry looking at the excess weight he was carrying at Yeovil though.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:50 pm

darran1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Totally agree :thumbup:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:15 pm

I think he's a great fourth striker to have. Can he deliver consistently? I'm still undecided. I think at this level he could get 10-15 goals at least which isn't bad considering he wouldn't necessarily be considered first choice.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:43 pm

I'd move him on if I'm honest, I think we have better. Would probably be my 5th choice striker and no doubt on a big wage as he was the star buy when we signed him.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Yes in fairness to Ole he's given both Nickey and Brayford another chance to stake their claims for first team football. Nice headache for Ole to have IMO.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:56 pm

We have Macheda, Le Fondre, Guerra and Jones. He's going to be our 5th choice striker next season. The best option for him is to send him out on loan again.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:06 pm

JonCCFC wrote:We have Macheda, Le Fondre, Guerra and Jones. He's going to be our 5th choice striker next season. The best option for him is to send him out on loan again.

I disagree, he was sent out while under Malky. I've seen nothing in pre season to suggest either of our other forwards are any better. I think he has a chance to break thru.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:08 pm

I hope he does well this season because its goals that will get us promoted.Saying that it just shows how well the team and manager done when we won the championship because we never realy had a big goal scorer.It was a real team effort.If we can score goals and emulate that effort we will be up there competing for promotion. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Hes had it and will never get back to the player he once was. Move him on while someone is willing to pay for him

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Military Junta wrote:Hes had it and will never get back to the player he once was. Move him on while someone is willing to pay for him

Your all heart fair play.......dont sit on the fence say it as it is..... :laughing6: :laughing6:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Nicky Maynard is ready to fire up his Cardiff City career - two years after joining the club.

The striker, signed for £2.75m from West Ham on transfer deadline day in 2012, says: "It feels as though I have joined a new club and I can't wait for the season to start."

Maynard made eight Premier League appearances last season before going out on loan to Wigan Athletic where he scored four goals in 11 Championship starts and believes the influence of manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will help him hit goalscoring form.

"He helps and inspires the strikers. The gaffer is a striker and there is nobody better to get information from. He will help all of us."

Maynard knows the competition for starting in Cardiff's team is going to be fierce with Federico Macheda, Adam Le Fondre and Javi Guerra among the forwards battling to start against Blackburn Rovers in the opening Championship fixture.

"The competition for places will help us," says Maynard. "The more strikers the better each of us have to perform if we are to be given the nod.

Pushing to start

"All the strikers are hungry to score goals - and Kenwyne Jones underlined that with his two against Yeovil Town. Each one of us is pushing to start against Blackburn.

"Cardiff have a lot of depth in attacking positions and with Whitts, Jordon (Mutch), Mats (Daehli) and Maggie (Magnus Eikrem) we have midfield players who can pick a pass and chip in with goals.

"The gaffer knows my strengths and has told me to play off the shoulder of defenders and keep looking to go in behind."

Maynard suffered a serious knee ligament injury after playing only three Championship matches under Malky Mackay, returning for the final match of 2012/13.

Nicky Maynard on crutches after his injury in 2012

He went out on loan to Wigan and says: "I haven't played for Cardiff as much as I would have liked and this is a new start for me. The gaffer was tremendous, telling me to go out on loan last season, play regular first team football and return for pre-season raring to go.

"I was a bit part player before going to Wigan, but I've come back fitter than ever. I've been with Cardiff for two years, but haven't done much in that time after being injured. Now it's a new season, a new start.

"There is massive depth in our squad and only 11 can play, but if anybody shows a bit of fatigue we have good players to come in.

'Expecting big things'

"We know the challenges ahead and understand what is needed if we are to achieve promotion. Cardiff City have achieved that before. I am expecting big things from our squad over this season."

This is Maynard's first long spell working under Solskjaer and he is enjoying the experience.

"It's the first time I have really worked with the gaffer and his staff because they came in January and I went out on loan to Wigan soon after," he says. "I feel like a new player. I have to impress the gaffer, while I hadn't played alongside Mats Daehli, Magnus Eikrem and others before this pre-season.

"I'm excited by the future. Cardiff were more of a defensive unit under Malky Mackay, while now we are more attack-minded and for the strikers that's fantastic. My main aims for the new season are to get on the score sheet as often as possible and out of the treatment room."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... rd-7522521

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:38 pm

if he can stay fit(he seems abit injury prone)and has a run of games,i think he will do well 4 us,keeping fit is the big problem though,i hope he has recovered and does the business 4 us

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:16 pm

Denzil wrote:
Military Junta wrote:Hes had it and will never get back to the player he once was. Move him on while someone is willing to pay for him

Your all heart fair play.......dont sit on the fence say it as it is..... :laughing6: :laughing6:

Lol it's the football industry not the bloody public sector FFS!!! Lol

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:53 pm

A player who hasn't a proper tidy season and run of games since 2010/2011 which is Jones.

Someone who has no experience in the English game and is 32 which is Guerra.

Macheda who is still learning and had one brilliant loan spell but already showing potential in Macheda.

To put Maynard low down is quite hilarious. The season he got injured he looked like our 20 goal man.. I believe he should be defiantly around the starting team possibly if he manages to keep his pre season form up.

Looks more fitter and sharper each game in Pre Season.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Maynard will do a good job this season :ayatollah: