Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Jo Inge Berget to Celtic on loan '

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Another striker gone

28th July 2014

CELTIC Football Club today announced the signing of Jo Inge Berget from Cardiff City on loan until January 2015, with an option to buy the player.
Jo, who will be part of the squad which travels to Warsaw tomorrow, is delighted to be joining Celtic.
The Norwegian internationalist told the official Celtic website: "I am delighted to join Celtic and I'm looking to make the very best of this great opportunity.
“I know what a magnificent club Celtic is and what the club means to the supporters - it is a real privilege to be here.
“I also know the manager very well and I am delighted to be teaming up with him again and, of course, the great squad of players at the club.”
Celtic manager Ronny Deila added: "I’m really pleased that we have been able to add Jo to our squad. I know his qualities and I am sure he can add something new to the team.
"He is a player who will work hard and give everything to the team. I hope he can enjoy a successful time at Celtic."
The 23-year-old attacker joined Cardiff City in January from Molde, where he’d spent the previous three years. He’s also spent a season on loan at Stromsgodset between 2010-11, during a three-year spell with Italian side Udinese.

Loan to January with option to buy!

Who next?

Re: Jo Inge Berget to Celtic on loan

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Surprised by that

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:10 pm

jon1959 wrote:Another striker gone.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/6334?

Loan to January with option to buy!

Who next?

Getting rid of the dead wood ,mason and velikonia next I think

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Celtic get our rejects now, shows how far we've come and how low the Scottish prem has gone.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:27 pm

JAWS wrote:Celtic get our rejects now, shows how far we've come and how low the Scottish prem has gone.

My thoughts exactly though maybe he'll get match it just in time to help us next jan.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:31 pm

Not gutted about this at all. With the strikers we've brought in I think it's right to release him, although i'd have rathered kenwyne gone before him!

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:34 pm

thats mental fair play

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 pm

Hardly seen him so obviously a signing ole fluffed up on

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:44 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:Hardly seen him so obviously a signing ole fluffed up on

Didn't we have him on a free ? Could make a profit out of him lol

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Norwegian manager at Celtic who Norwegians I met on holiday rate a better manager than ole

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:49 pm

Not surprised. Predicted in an earlier thread he would go on loan.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:45 pm

Good striker who needs a good run in a team. I think he'll score plenty for Celtic

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 pm

Celtic and Cardiff just became symmetrical in terms of Norwegians.

Norwegian manager, two Norwegian players. :roll:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 pm

I thought he may be the surprise super sub but I'm not concerned. Good loan for him.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:48 pm

JAWS wrote:Celtic get our rejects now, shows how far we've come and how low the Scottish prem has gone.

The other way round not long ago, they used to try screw us on deals too .....

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Swindon Bluebird wrote:Good striker who needs a good run in a team. I think he'll score plenty for Celtic

Maybe they can get him firing again for the final push for us, and of course we can call him back if we have a few striker injured, in Jan that is .....

Re: ' Jo Inge Berget to Celtic on loan '

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:09 pm

I never rated him anyway, Ole's signing, at least Ole had been bringing better in. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I never rated him anyway, Ole's signing, at least Ole had been bringing better in. :thumbup:

He was a January plan D I think, supposed to be good though, but as you say we are spoilt for choice now, and even Kenwyne is ready to give it a real go :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:36 pm

Good for berget, good for cardiff. Might prove to be good for Celtic.

I still think he could've proven himself to be an asset in the championship, but with Kenwyne seemingly getting his shit together there's simply no room for him.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 pm

The limited amount I saw of him, thought he was more of a floater, didn't appear to be an out & out striker. Big lump mind ;)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Was always oles WTF signing for me. Guess he was cheap but never seemed like he could offer something at PL level.
Could be ok at championship level but to be honest I don't see him getting many games with the current squad. Celtic is a very good move for him.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 pm

The I always felt he sighed him and Wolff to try and push his style on the rest of the players. I think he may have even said something along those lines.

I don't see how anyone can rate or not rate him from the limited time we have seen. The price we paid it's not a big deal.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Great loan for him as he was one of the best players in the DVP games last season. Hopefully he gets some experience and it helps that there are Norwegians there as well.

Also lol @ a lot of you and your comments about him. He's still our player ffs and he didn't do anything to be shit on... Obviously you didn't watch the DVP games because you wouldn't be saying all this shit.

Anyways wish him the best and hope he comes back with some more experience! :)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 pm

If he doesn't end up coming back it'll be coming with a profitable deal at the end of the day. Still wish him the best though :)

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Scottish media

Celtic have snapped up striker Jo Inge Berget on loan from Cardiff City.

"He is a player who will work hard and give everything to the team" - Ronny Deila
The Norwegian who is also capable of playing in midfield arrives until January but with the option of completing a permanent switch to Parkhead.

Berget, 23, previously appeared under Hoops boss Ronny Deila during a loan stay with Stromsgodset in 2010. He has four international caps to his credit and only joined the Welsh club from Molde earlier this year.

"I'm really pleased that we have been able to add Jo to our squad. I know his qualities and I am sure he can add something new to the team," Deila told Celtic's official website. "He is a player who will work hard and give everything to the team. I hope he can enjoy a successful time at Celtic."

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Bluebina wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I never rated him anyway, Ole's signing, at least Ole had been bringing better in. :thumbup:

He was a January plan D I think, supposed to be good though, but as you say we are spoilt for choice now, and even Kenwyne is ready to give it a real go :ayatollah:

:thumbup:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 pm

Celtic sign Cardiff forward Jo Inge Berget on six-month loan deal
Jo Inge Berget joins Celtic from Cardiff on six-month loan
The Norwegian international is rated at £1.5million
Could make his debut in Champions League on Wednesday
By STEPHEN MCGOWAN
PUBLISHED: 23:43, 28 July 2014 | UPDATED: 23:43, 28 July 2014

Celtic have completed a six month loan deal for Cardiff City’s £1.5million rated attacker Jo Inge Berget.
And the Norwegian international could be plunged into a Champions League baptism of fire in Warsaw on Wednesday night.
One of a raft of countryman signed by Cardiff’s Norwegian manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in January the 23-year-old failed to settle, managing just two appearances.

Well known to Parkhead coach Ronny Deila after a successful season on loan at Stromsgodset in 2010-11, however, Berget has been given a second chance in British football – penning a deal until January with an option to buy.
Berget will join the squad on this morning’s flight to Poland for the Champions League third qualifying round first leg clash with Legia Warsaw after beating last night’s signing deadline.
'I feel really happy, and I’m excited,' said Berget. 'It’s all happened pretty fast. I heard that the manager wanted me, so it was an easy decision for me. It’ s a good opportunity for me and hopefully it’s going to go well.
'I know Stefan Johansson, having played alongside him for Stromgodset before, and also for the national team, so I know him well. He’s a good lad and I’m glad he’s here at Celtic.
'It helps having one or two familiar faces, and it means I’ve got someone to speak a little Norwegian to as well.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z38o67FZMk

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Good move for all. Thought he was a weird signing and it's starting to look like Ole's finally learning about the high standards of English football as a manager. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:13 am

Should have thought someone like you were more up to date Annis. Berget was never signed to be a instant hit and show the City players how to play football, he was signed for the future. Some quotes from the signing of Berget.

These three are not ones we expect to come in straight away and take the Premier League by storm straight away but they have cost more or less nothing so they are for the future.

Berget is a forward, only had four or five months left on his contract, so he came on a very good deal for us.

In my mind, he is a no risk-signing for Cardiff. He may turn out to be a success, but if not, it would not be an expensive failure for a club of Cardiff’s stature.

Mats and Magnus are players i know is capable of adapting fast as they already spent many years in English football, Jo Inge is more of a long term project. He was one of the biggest talents in Norway when Udinese signed him and hopefully we can get his developement in the right direction again. If not he came on a nominal fee and we wont loose money when selling. Win/win for all of us.

As you guys can see Jo Inge was never signed as anything else than a future prospect. He was signed by Udinese for a reason but unfortunately they didn`t follow up on him so his talent took a hit for a few years. By the looks of it Ole has found out that it is not worth following up on Jo Inge so therefore he looks to sell him on and Ole rarely does that without profit.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:41 am

CardiffN wrote:

Should have thought someone like you were more up to date Annis. Berget was never signed to be a instant hit and show the City players how to play football, he was signed for the future. Some quotes from the signing of Berget.

These three are not ones we expect to come in straight away and take the Premier League by storm straight away but they have cost more or less nothing so they are for the future.

Berget is a forward, only had four or five months left on his contract, so he came on a very good deal for us.

In my mind, he is a no risk-signing for Cardiff. He may turn out to be a success, but if not, it would not be an expensive failure for a club of Cardiff’s stature.

Mats and Magnus are players i know is capable of adapting fast as they already spent many years in English football, Jo Inge is more of a long term project. He was one of the biggest talents in Norway when Udinese signed him and hopefully we can get his developement in the right direction again. If not he came on a nominal fee and we wont loose money when selling. Win/win for all of us.

As you guys can see Jo Inge was never signed as anything else than a future prospect. He was signed by Udinese for a reason but unfortunately they didn`t follow up on him so his talent took a hit for a few years. By the looks of it Ole has found out that it is not worth following up on Jo Inge so therefore he looks to sell him on and Ole rarely does that without profit.

Well at the time he was signed we were fighting for our lives,were we not ? Did we not need players to play for us then and try and keep us in the Premier League? Was not that the most important issues at the time?

Not staying up in the Premier League was costly and I hope we can now get back this season.