Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Wi- FI at the CCS

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 am

Had a good chat with Ken Foo last Saturday,and i mentioned the problems that I and others have had in getting a good regeption on our phones at the Stadium, certainly in the Ninian stand, so I asked him was there any chance of having WI-FI installed at the ground, he admitted that it was something they had not considered but in saying that he thought it was a good idea, they have the co-operative boxes in the new stand and to make them attractive it is worth putting it in there, my suggestion was in order to make the new stand sellable, why not put it right through the whole area.
Last March my father in law died and my wife could not reach me to let me know at the match, I also learned of a case where a chaps wife was rushed into hospital. Sympathy was not what I was looking for, whether it will go in or not I don't know, but at least his response was good, he stated that he know's that fans like to know other scores through out the match.
So we wait and see.

Re: Wi- FI at the CCS

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:09 pm

I totally agree mate and I think it should be available throughout the stadium.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Firstly I had to plant the idea in his head, this is why I said it would be a sellable point for buying seats in the new stand.
But I fully agree it would be benificial for all the stadium.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:27 pm

I've always led to be believe that stadiums as a whole struggle to accommodate mobiles as you get the same problem in many stadiums

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:28 pm

I often stay at Premier Inn hotels and you can have 24hrs wifi for £3.

Surely if it was £1 per Matchday before the game started and after for another hour, it could be self funding and as you said, an incentive to sell tickets. Great idea! I would be very interested. :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Suggested this a while back but, as far as I know, only Man City and Liverpool have WiFi support within their stadiums. It certainly isn't a popular feature at the minute.

Let's hope they catch up with the rest of the world within the next couple of years! :D

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Old Trafford has WI-FI in all its stands if I'm not mistaken, and I'm given to understand it works quite well.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:40 pm

But with he greatest of respect the ticket price of going to the football is expensive enough as it is so services like this should already be involved rather than having it as an extra!!! At this rate City will be the Ryanair of football clubs before long. Why don't you ask him to put an extra charge in going to the toilet while you are at it!!! :lol:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 pm

I had problems last year on 3g but I was in the new stand on Saturday and having changed to 4g over the summer I was able to surf the net as fast as at home and watch live Sky Sports News with as good a quality picture as my new Smart TV.

Oh yes, I was able to make/receive calls without any problem too lol.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:53 pm

lincoln blue wrote:I had problems last year on 3g but I was in the new stand on Saturday and having changed to 4g over the summer I was able to surf the net as fast as at home and watch live Sky Sports News with as good a quality picture as my new Smart TV.

Oh yes, I was able to make/receive calls without any problem too lol.

Yes, 4g is very good in the stadium :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Personally I don't see why there should be a charge, if you go into a pub or cafe you get it free because you are buying their goods, same down the stadium' we are offering our money for something in return, times have changed you expect more value for your money nowadays, just watching football is not enough, the whole experience should be enjoyable. I agree that 4G is the next generation, but in many ways it is still expensive, and lots of people are stuck in 3G contracts or can't afford to step up until the price comes down, to some people it is not expensive, to lots of others it is and that would depend on your circumstances.I will try and contact Ken Foo and see what the club's stance is on it.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:26 pm

Wifi should never be used in a stadium outside the executive boxes. However something should be done to make sure it's easier to get reception to receive calls, texts etc.

Nothing worse than seeing people scroll through Facebook and twitter during the game. But as you mentioned there could be emergencies that someone needs to get hold of you

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 pm

We used to worry if the bovril was going to run out or if the pies were stale.......how times change :laughing6: :laughing6:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:52 pm

Military Junta wrote:I've always led to be believe that stadiums as a whole struggle to accommodate mobiles as you get the same problem in many stadiums

This is true with mobile data Adam which is why so many want WiFi. I've not used 4G down the stadium so cant say but 3G was often just hopeless on o2. WiFi would relieve the strain on mobile data making both better. WiFi would have its limits though too so overuse of that would just cause the same problems. Obviously the best would be to try and balance the load of who is on mobile data and who is on WiFi - this could only really be done by them restricting the number of devices allowed to connect to the WiFi network at any given time.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Soft toilet roll and china cups in the canton next please. :thumbup:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 pm

Denzil wrote:Soft toilet roll and china cups in the canton next please. :thumbup:

Umbrellas for those in the first 10 rows :thumbup:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:59 pm

CantonJack wrote:Wifi should never be used in a stadium outside the executive boxes. However something should be done to make sure it's easier to get reception to receive calls, texts etc.

Nothing worse than seeing people scroll through Facebook and twitter during the game. But as you mentioned there could be emergencies that someone needs to get hold of you

Umm, you don't need wifi to make or recieve a phone call

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:40 pm

I used it at Hull away. Worked well.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Igovernor wrote:
CantonJack wrote:Wifi should never be used in a stadium outside the executive boxes. However something should be done to make sure it's easier to get reception to receive calls, texts etc.

Umm, you don't need wifi to make or recieve a phone call

Where does he say that you do? :?

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Would cost a lot of money to do so but would be a good idea.

Issues would be the Wi-Fi crashing due to so many people trying to connect to it.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 am

I'm totally against using mobiles at football matches, everyone is now a photographer rather than a supporter. If you can't go without the internet for a few hours I reckon there is an underlying problem. :D :D :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:59 am

ThomasC wrote:I'm totally against using mobiles at football matches, everyone is now a photographer rather than a supporter. If you can't go without the internet for a few hours I reckon there is an underlying problem. :D :D :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sometimes its nice to be able to check how the rivals are doing - livescores :thumbup:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:06 pm

Only use mine to check the half time scores, and the BBC live text. Go outside at HT so can't see the scores on the big screen.

Very rarely check scores during the match, only when we're relying on someone in the last few weeks of the season.

Occasionally take the odd photo at away matches.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:44 pm

less people checking their phones and more making some noise please :old:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:21 pm

If you going to have bookies outlets within the stadium then the least you can do is to provide it's customers with a service in checking their bets

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 pm

Ive always had FREE Wifi at CCFC, you get it in the premier lounge! ;)

Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 pm

People slating fans using phones, grow up.

Important text messages, checking bets/scores, recording a penalty or a free kick..

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:45 am

Whats football coming too! You supposed to watch the game nnot browse the net :lol:

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:47 am

DandoCCFC wrote:People slating fans using phones, grow up.

Important text messages, checking bets/scores, recording a penalty or a free kick..

Texing and recording penalties can be done without wifi. Checking scores can be done on the TVs half time.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:48 am

cardiff uber alles wrote:less people checking their phones and more making some noise please :old:

This ^^^^