Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Ole Gunnar Solskjaer '

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:13 am

If we take last season, we can definitely point at the fact that we were hard to beat at home, got some fantastic wins against the jacks, man city and credible draws against Everton and Man Utd under Malky.
For the most part, we were happy with how things were going, it wasn't pretty, but we were fulfilling our objective - survival.

Moving onto January, Malky is sacked and we get a European football legend. The super sub Ole excited me when he was first announced. Great ties with man utd, won the norwegian league twice with Molde, highly thought of, linked to many other PL jobs before us. If we're honest - there was a lot to be optimistic about. New players in the window, a new style of football ect.

Fast forward to May, we've been relegated, and the general view was just that Ole was not up to the job of saving us from relegation. Inexperienced in this league, Norway's top tier is like playing league 1 football, Zaha was a poor aquisition, ALL the excuses came out, and typically, we all wanted someone to blame. I hold my hands up to doing the same thing as thousands of us did, and I found myself wondering - What if we had kept Malky here - would it be different?

What I feel we need to question is - what was actually happening behind the scenes? Why did Craig Bellamy all of a sudden seem to be turning against the fans, why were we struggling on the pitch? How damaged was morale in the dressing room?
It looks to me now, that we've only ever heard half the story, and Ole has shouldered responsibility that maybe he shouldn't have had too. Unifying a team facing relegation and integrating a new philosophy and bringing in new players to gel quickly wasn't going to be easy for anyone. I know Pulis did it with Palace, we know he did an amazing job, BUT Ole did come with a slight risk of never having managed a first team in the PL.

This is where things turn positive. We have managed to put together the most attacking Cardiff City team that I personally know we've ever had, in terms of quality in quantity - that's from Midfield and up front. Ole is putting his own team together. He has had pre-season and new players to really put his stamp on the team. Morale looks great, new faces seem sharp, and some great examples of attacking football coming out in this pre-season.

Anyone who did it was wrong to write off Ole, this season could be as important for him as it is for us. He looks positive, excited and professional. I truely believe we could have fantastic manager on our books here, and if his style of football works, and we become the 12th man again - we really could storm this league and be back among the big boys, and having a real go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUkEpLPbuo

This short interview sparked this little essay of mine - but after watching some videos on city's youtube channel this morning, I am feel VERY optimistic indeed.

IOWE :bluescarf: BLUEBIRDS! :ayatollah:

Re: ' Ole Gunnar Solskjaer '

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:29 am

Cheers James, a very good write up and yes I am one of them virtually writing of Oe,which hopefully eventually proves to be totally wrong :thumbright:

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ole:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:11 am

Blue Boy wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Cheers James, a very good write up and yes I am one of them virtually writing of Oe,which hopefully eventually proves to be totally wrong :thumbright:

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :ole:

Yes Annis Ole will prove you wrong :ole: :ole:

Let's hope so. This is his real chance though

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 am

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/ :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 am

Forever Blue wrote:http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/ :thumbright: :ayatollah:

:ole: :ole: :ole:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am

Brilliant post, I really really hope your right about next season. As you mentioned, we dont know what happened outside the pitch. But tbh, we really need to get hold of another solid CB. :bluescarf: :thumbright:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:26 am

Can't understand anyone writing off a new young manager after just a few months in charge. Back in the 80's, Alex Fergusson would have been out of a job within a few weeks if the Man U board had the same attitude as some of our fans. After all, he didn't exactly set the world alight in his early days as manager at Man Utd. It takes a little time for a coach to get the players he wants, and to get them to play his particular style of football. I think he should be given a fair chance before everyone passes judgement.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:30 am

come on ole we have faith in you :ole: llets smash this up :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:19 am

Blooooobirds!!!!

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:44 am

I am not totally convinced that ole can cut the mustard at this level.Yesterdays game did nothing to change my view defensively we were poor.Having said that I was disgusted to hear fans around me screaming at ole to f... Off back to man. Utd and other belittling comments.ONe so called van constantly berated and cursed at players who he thought weren't good enough constantly saying the team was shit ect. Then this true fan came out with thank f... I never got tickets for next year.I thought travelling fans were supposed to be the true fans not true they aren't all fans a minority are just foul mouth critics.give the team and manager a chance for gods sake and try to stay sober you might enjoy football then

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 am

Very balanced IMO. Ole has his flaws but also has some positives. People forget the circumstances Ole had when he took over here.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:50 pm

pensionerbluebird wrote:I am not totally convinced that ole can cut the mustard at this level.Yesterdays game did nothing to change my view defensively we were poor.Having said that I was disgusted to hear fans around me screaming at ole to f... Off back to man. Utd and other belittling comments.ONe so called van constantly berated and cursed at players who he thought weren't good enough constantly saying the team was shit ect. Then this true fan came out with thank f... I never got tickets for next year.I thought travelling fans were supposed to be the true fans not true they aren't all fans a minority are just foul mouth critics.give the team and manager a chance for gods sake and try to stay sober you might enjoy football then

Good post mate.
I've sat & stood around loads of so called fans over the years that seem to spend the whole game cursing the players, tactics, manager, anything. Makes you wonder why they go! I guess some people -'fans'- just enjoy moaning.
I'm not convinced with Ole but certainly believe he should be given time & definitely hope to be proved wrong!

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:51 pm

pensionerbluebird wrote:I am not totally convinced that ole can cut the mustard at this level.Yesterdays game did nothing to change my view defensively we were poor.Having said that I was disgusted to hear fans around me screaming at ole to f... Off back to man. Utd and other belittling comments.ONe so called van constantly berated and cursed at players who he thought weren't good enough constantly saying the team was shit ect. Then this true fan came out with thank f... I never got tickets for next year.I thought travelling fans were supposed to be the true fans not true they aren't all fans a minority are just foul mouth critics.give the team and manager a chance for gods sake and try to stay sober you might enjoy football then

Nobody can be sure, but I think he has control over the situation, the players are his and he can set his philosophies.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:27 pm

If he can sort out the defense Cardiff will be fine. Ole needs to be less naive - I don't think he is a bad manager at all- but guilty of being naive. If he can get the balance right this season Cardiff will at least be in the play offs.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:33 pm

To be honest that sounds about right for our fans. I remember going to Bristol city away and the guy next to me abused Marshall all game and clapped Tom Heaton all game.

Ole failed last season as did malky but I will judge Ole on his performance this season, he has his players and time to train them so let's see.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 pm

I agree. Let's give him the chance to prove himself

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:13 pm

Genuinely haven't got a clue how this season is going to go for us.. Will give Ole the support he needs but it's all up to him to deliver. Roll on Blackburn away!

Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:47 am

lathamgaffney wrote:Genuinely haven't got a clue how this season is going to go for us.. Will give Ole the support he needs but it's all up to him to deliver. Roll on Blackburn away!

:ayatollah: :ole:

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 am

markeMark wrote:Can't understand anyone writing off a new young manager after just a few months in charge. Back in the 80's, Alex Fergusson would have been out of a job within a few weeks if the Man U board had the same attitude as some of our fans. After all, he didn't exactly set the world alight in his early days as manager at Man Utd. It takes a little time for a coach to get the players he wants, and to get them to play his particular style of football. I think he should be given a fair chance before everyone passes judgement.

I agree. I have faith in Ole, and think he should have at least one full season to make the team play the way he wants. Changing the playing style from ultra defensive to offensive and possession oriented is not done in half a year. :ayatollah: