Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Martin Ødegaard (15). New norwegian wonderkid.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 pm

CCFC should track this kid and try to sign him asap. Probably going to be hard considering all the top clubs in Europe are tracking him. Amazing talent for his age though. Would be a great signing for the future, that's for sure.

Re: Martin Ødegaard (15). New norwegian wonderkid.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Unbelievable talent for his age, his vision for a pass is amazing, don't usually see that in a player at a young age.

Luckily with Ole's Norwegian connections and Eikrem and Daehli here, we'd be a realistic option for him to play first team football in a year or so

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 am

CantonJack wrote:Unbelievable talent for his age, his vision for a pass is amazing, don't usually see that in a player at a young age.

Luckily with Ole's Norwegian connections and Eikrem and Daehli here, we'd be a realistic option for him to play first team football in a year or so

That would be awesome, but I have a feeling he will be signed by one of the biggest clubs when he opts to leave Norway.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:33 am

And I thought I was half decent as a 15 yr old!! LOL
Seriously though he looks a natural holding the ball until the exact moment is right to release it & automatically runs across the front of players so they can't tackle him.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:43 am

I bet Ole already knows plenty about him :thumbup:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 am

While Mats Dæhli is a rare talent, this kid Ødegaard is shockingly good. Comparisons are difficult, but at least it can be said that in the Norwegian league, Ødegaard at 15 years old is more dominating than Mats Dæhli was at 18.

Ødegaard should be able to pick and choose any club in the world. He is well known by top non-domestic clubs and believing that he'd choose Cardiff is unrealistic. Plus there is the issue of the clubs (unknown) asking price. It'd be cool to see them together at Cardiff though.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:46 am

Noleway wrote:While Mats Dæhli is a rare talent, this kid Ødegaard is shockingly good. Comparisons are difficult, but at least it can be said that in the Norwegian league, Ødegaard at 15 years old is more dominating than Mats Dæhli was at 18.

Ødegaard should be able to pick and choose any club in the world. He is well known by top non-domestic clubs and believing that he'd choose Cardiff is unrealistic. Plus there is the issue of the clubs (unknown) asking price. It'd be cool to see them together at Cardiff though.

Having a few highly rated Norwegian players already at the club, with a young bright, well know Norwegian manager may help..? He's a top top talent, of course, but if he used us as a stepping stone to learn the english game, beef up a little, then progress to a top European club...

It's happened before, if it was someone we did go in for, we would have a strong case of being the next step in his career.

Not saying it'll happen, just a good argument for coming to us :thumbup:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:47 am

Tbh I believe Ødegaard is out of reach for CCFC. He is under the radar of european top clubs and will be picked up by their academies in a year or two. I know he's in touch with Daehli so at best I can see him as a loan player. One thing is for sure, we will see these two players on the same field, playing for the Norwegian national team in a few years from now. Will be exciting to watch.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 am

Principe wrote:Tbh I believe Ødegaard is out of reach for CCFC. He is under the radar of european top clubs and will be picked up by their academies in a year or two. I know he's in touch with Daehli so at best I can see him as a loan player. One thing is for sure, we will see these two players on the same field, playing for the Norwegian national team in a few years from now. Will be exciting to watch.

He won't want to play in an academy!

Man Utd's academy/reserves
Or Cardiff City first team - the thrill of promotion, maybe a season in the top with us, then on to Utd/Arsenal/Chelsea/Man City ect.

Seems to work nicely because then he'd be hitting 18, and able to cope with first team football

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 am

aleksano wrote:

CCFC should track this kid and try to sign him asap. Probably going to be hard considering all the top clubs in Europe are tracking him. Amazing talent for his age though. Would be a great signing for the future, that's for sure.

Wow, 15 years old :shock:

If he continues to develop as a player he is going to be one hell of a player :bluescarf:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:00 am

Some background on Ødegaard from wikipedia:

Martin Ødegaard (born 17 December 1998) is a Norwegian footballer who plays midfielder for Strømsgodset IF.

Martin Ødegaard is son of former footballer Hans Erik Ødegaard who played for midfielder for Strømsgodset IF and Sandefjord Fotball and is an assistant manager for Lørenskog IF. In 2013, aged 13, Ødegaard who played for Strømsgodset's junior team and the club's third team which plays in began training with Strømsgodset's A-team. He also had short traning visits to Bayern München and Manchester United.[1] In January 2014, it was agreed that Ødegaard would be part of Strømsgodset's A-team in 2014, but no contract was signed. As part of the agreement, he will train two evenings with Lørenskog where his father is one of the coaches.[2]

Ødegaard and Vajebah Sakor are the biggest talents in Norway. He made his debut for Strømsgodset in a match against Aalesunds FK at Marienlyst Stadion on 13 April 2014. Aged 15, he became the youngest footballer ever to play in the Tippeliga.[3] He signed a professional contract for 2014 and 2015 with Strømsgodset on 5 May 2014.[4] On 16 May 2014, he scored the fourth goal for Strømsgodset in a home match against Sarpsborg 08 FF which Strømsgodset won 4-1, making him the youngest person to score a goal in the Tippeliga.[3]

Ødegaard played for the Norway national under-17 football team in a tournament with Scotland, USA and France in Turkey in January 2014.[5][6]

He attends a local lower secondary school. His football idol is Lionel Messi.[7]

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:03 am

Principe wrote:Some background on Ødegaard from wikipedia:

Martin Ødegaard (born 17 December 1998) is a Norwegian footballer who plays midfielder for Strømsgodset IF.

Martin Ødegaard is son of former footballer Hans Erik Ødegaard who played for midfielder for Strømsgodset IF and Sandefjord Fotball and is an assistant manager for Lørenskog IF. In 2013, aged 13, Ødegaard who played for Strømsgodset's junior team and the club's third team which plays in began training with Strømsgodset's A-team. He also had short traning visits to Bayern München and Manchester United.[1] In January 2014, it was agreed that Ødegaard would be part of Strømsgodset's A-team in 2014, but no contract was signed. As part of the agreement, he will train two evenings with Lørenskog where his father is one of the coaches.[2]

Ødegaard and Vajebah Sakor are the biggest talents in Norway. He made his debut for Strømsgodset in a match against Aalesunds FK at Marienlyst Stadion on 13 April 2014. Aged 15, he became the youngest footballer ever to play in the Tippeliga.[3] He signed a professional contract for 2014 and 2015 with Strømsgodset on 5 May 2014.[4] On 16 May 2014, he scored the fourth goal for Strømsgodset in a home match against Sarpsborg 08 FF which Strømsgodset won 4-1, making him the youngest person to score a goal in the Tippeliga.[3]

Ødegaard played for the Norway national under-17 football team in a tournament with Scotland, USA and France in Turkey in January 2014.[5][6]

He attends a local lower secondary school. His football idol is Lionel Messi.[7]

Cheers :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:14 am

As I recall he is already been courted by some of the biggest clubs in Europe. Only reason [could be wrong] that he is still in Norway is for School as his parents didn't want him to leave before a certain age or something along those lines.

Lots of great attacking talent in Norway these days - just wish their defenders would catch up to their offense. :ole:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 am

He is like daehli, he is courted by all the big clubs at 15.
If he goes to Man United there's a chance we get could get him on loan in the future I guess.
That's a long way away though. He is still only 15. By the way Ole knows all about him I read some rumor that Cardiff was scouting him awhile back.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:46 am

I've always been saying that in a few years, the Norwegian national team will have to play 4-6-0. No striking talent, but lots of godly midfielders lining up beyond the horizon. A 4-2-4-0 with Dæhli, Ødegaard, Skjelbred and Sakor will probably be twice as good as the Spanish 4-6-0 from a few years ago.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Metal Handkerchief wrote:I've always been saying that in a few years, the Norwegian national team will have to play 4-6-0. No striking talent, but lots of godly midfielders lining up beyond the horizon. A 4-2-4-0 with Dæhli, Ødegaard, Skjelbred and Sakor will probably be twice as good as the Spanish 4-6-0 from a few years ago.

Well this young lad looks like he could plat the false no 9 role... It's possible

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:03 pm

His abilities are unquestionable, but i'd reserve my judgement until I see him in a higher league. Tippeligaen is such a frustrating league to watch because the talent is just not there.

Saying that though, I wouldn't mind the norwegian contingent bringing him over here :ole:

Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Looks like a good talent, at 15 he needs the right guidance, definitely has something special. What are they putting in the water in Norway these days !

Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Noleway wrote:While Mats Dæhli is a rare talent, this kid Ødegaard is shockingly good. Comparisons are difficult, but at least it can be said that in the Norwegian league, Ødegaard at 15 years old is more dominating than Mats Dæhli was at 18.

Overestimating the Norwegian league and underestimating daehli a bit too.
They are both huge talents. Daehli is technically better from what I have seen. This kid has a physical edge doesn't look out of place playing against adults and scores more goals. Lets be fair daehli with his size never could have played first team football at 15. But was the kind of 15 year old whizkid that would win player of the tournament- in tournaments against Spain, France, holland and the likes, even though Norway lost all their matches. :laughing6:
We don't know where this kid will be at 18, lots of kids get early hype that they can't live up too. Look at kiko Macheda, he was scoring in the premiere league at 17, faded into obscurity, sent out on loan. Was expected to be play for Italy and a big player for united.
Let's hope this kid gets good guidance and makes sound choices he has all the ability to be a top top player.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:16 pm

Ole have maybe a masterplan, sending Berget on loan to Celtic and Strømsgodsets privious Hoping to get something back. But I think Ødegaards parentes will have the last word. And Deila has of course lost influence in his old club.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Ole have maybe a masterplan, sending Berget on loan to Celtic and Strømsgodsets previous manager. Hoping to get something back. But I think Ødegaards parentes will have the last word. And Deila has of course lost influence in his old club.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:23 am

This is Daehli 2.0.
But this time he really is out of our league. We can't be this lucky twice... :D

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Sunnyboy wrote:This is Daehli 2.0.
But this time he really is out of our league. We can't be this lucky twice... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwAU3Tlawo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwAU3Tlawo[/youtube]

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:19 pm

redstuff wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwAU3Tlawo

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBwAU3Tlawo[/youtube]

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:31 pm

That boy has so much potential, would love I see us sign him and develop him. But with the class he is already showing he would be better off at a world class club to help his development at the highest level.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 pm

Odegaard should stay where he at least until he's 17.

Let him play pro games and continue to stand out like he's doing. I don't see why leaving home while he's a kid to go and play at a lower level for a big clubs academy team will be a step forward for him. He will progress where he is for now, he doesn't need the risk of uprooting and entering a new level of pressure and hype.

Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Higly unlikely he will come to Cardiff.. Daehli wouldn't be at Cardiff if it wasn't for ole.
This boy will either link up with his previous manager at Celtic when he is good enough. Or do like mats and go play for a big clubs youth academy.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:40 am

Real Madrid have tabled a 12 million bid for him in the last 24 hours

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:14 am

Nah, just a ( really bad) photoshop job.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/07/29 ... wonderkid/

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:10 am

Google Translate from todays paper in Norway:
http://www.vg.no/sport/fotball/stroemsg ... /23263876/

Over 30 major European clubs want to retrieve Strømsgodset prodigy Martin Odegaard (15).

It tells dad Hans Erik Odegaard (40). He does, however, the tremendous interest with great tranquility.

- We have received over 30 inquiries, the former Strømsgodset player to VG.

- Could Martin gone to just about every club in Europe?

- Yes.

- Really?

- Well, not all. But there is not much to do. I need not mention the clubs, but almost no matter what you had mentioned, they have been in contact with us, answering Hans Erik Odegaard.

YouTube hit

The incredible 15-year-old has only started four Premier League games this year, but has dominated almost all. Yesterday CMORE let out a "best of" version on YouTube that have taken completely off. In less than a day had 150,000 video views.

- It blows all scales for what we do. Video is spreading to the whole world. It is posted on the blogs in Asia and throughout Europe. Martin Odegaard fever has exploded. He is the most amazing has happened Premier League for a long time, says Kristian Oma, Managing Editor at Monday Productions which produces the Premier League for CMORE.

Hans Erik Odegaard even played in Strømsgodset in his career. This is from 2001.
Daddy Hans Erik Odegaard think it's nice that his son is also in the process of being a hit - on YouTube.

- What to say to that? It's funny really, then. I heard that it was posted something yesterday. It's almost unbelievable that so many people have seen it so fast, says Odegaard.

Focus on development

He is no stranger to attention related to his son's extreme soccer skills.

- There is nothing new with numerous requests from both clubs, agents and media. This went on for seven months. There have been some clubs in the past, but most have already signed up. The only thing we focus on is that Martin will develop.

- When do you see that he goes out to a bigger club?

- We have no plan. We want Martin to develop. It has been the focus over the years. How will it be for many years to come. If you start to think about other things, so I think evolution rather halt. Now he develops in Norway. He is 15 years old. And there is no question that he goes out alone, says 40-year-old.

Previously, Martin Odegaard been in training to stay at Manchester United, Bayern Munich and Stuttgart. He has also been a trip to Manchester City in connection with the cooperation Strømsgodset have with last season's Premier League champions.

- How is it for you as a father to witness the tremendous attention your son get?

- Seen Martin long, and now this sounds maybe Stylish tunes, but I'm not surprised. I've seen him all the time. It's funny that he has a great talent, but he has had in many years. Now you see other people there.

New club visits by season

Hans Erik Odegaard is not particularly concerned that the attention will destroy living conditions - as long as he is in a safe environment in Drammen.

- I think he can handle it very well. He has the focus as he always has. It is to train and get better. He is so dedicated and seems football is so much fun. If it were to be violently with attention, then we may shield him. But he's so young that you (the press) are not allowed to call him. So then it is better that you call me, says Hans Erik Odegaard.

Now whatever be all inquiries from overseas on ice until the Premier League season is over in November. Then it may be necessary with new club visits.

- But we can not visit all the clubs who have made contact. When is the 2015, with it, the father said with a smile.

- What is your favorite club, by the way?

- It is Liverpool. We can only hope that he is well educated. No, replies Hans Erik Odegaard and laughs.