Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gary medal at center back

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 pm

If caulker is gone and medal has no relegation release clause in his contact then why not keep him and play him at cb. He played very well at the world cup in that position just a thought.

Re: Gary medal at center back

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:16 pm

too short for such a physical league

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:21 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:too short for such a physical league

Totally agree, he would get slaughtered.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:26 pm

2blue2handle wrote:

Totally agree, he would get slaughtered.

reason he played cb for chile is that it's more possession based rather than set-pieces if you will. medel would never be able to play cb in the prem or the champ

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:04 pm

What about in a back three between two big lumps?

It may make us more secure (we look anything but under Ole) and woudl sort out the right wing problem as we'd play wing backs not wingers.

Also Chris Perry was a short centre back and he had a decent premier league career.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 pm

I think in the prem I'd have given him ago in a back three. Not in the championship though.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:26 pm

The chances are he's going so it's all hypothetical. He done really well recently in a back three against Holland Spain Australia and brazil and yet people think he would get slaughtered against lower teams in the championship. If the British leagues are that unique why are the national teams and top premiership teams struggling when they face teams from the continent. The league is hard but class normally shows.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:04 am

I would seriously doubt he will be here but he almost played a sweeper role with Chile , something at Championship football we cant do

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:56 am

brickyblue wrote:If caulker is gone and medal has no relegation release clause in his contact then why not keep him and play him at cb. He played very well at the world cup in that position just a thought.

Sell. Not good enough for us. Failed in the prem big time. :wave: Medel - not wanted by us anymore. :wave:

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:23 am

Can't get my head round the view that he's too short. Are we really trying to claim that his height would be exposed by Championship teams when he played brilliantly in the World Cup. Surely if this was really the case international teams, players, coaches and tactics would have dealt with him even more efficiently than say Blackburn.

Lol

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:39 pm

International football is not played the same way as the championship.
The English national team struggle for the same reason playing internationally.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Skewett wrote:

Can't get my head round the view that he's too short. Are we really trying to claim that his height would be exposed by Championship teams when he played brilliantly in the World Cup. Surely if this was really the case international teams, players, coaches and tactics would have dealt with him even more efficiently than say Blackburn.

Lol

Again, read my comment afterwards. World Cup football is all about posession and exploiting openings. Championship football is more consistent and physical. Medel DID have a good World Cup but let's for example point out the defensive mistake against Australia for their goal or being too short to deal with Brazil's presence for their goal. Something that teams would look to exploit in the Championship, his lack of height. International football is also played at a slower tempo, not to mention that in the World Cup you have more of a togetherness on a grand stage. In the Championship there is minimal time for consistency. Medel wouldn't fit in the Championship as a CDM, never mind a CB.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 pm

If Medel worked in a back 4 he'd have played there by now. He works in a three or in front of a 4 (which is half being in a back three anyway). To play in a back three you need mobility which he and Cala have but you'd have to play Hudson or Turner centrally to cover the space left by full backs.

It's doable, hell it's probably be one of the best ways to proceed if he stayed, but in a back 2 is as silly as Dæhli starting in the number 10 role this season.

Besides this is most likely a gambit to get someone else to push harder for a move. You could tell he didn't give a shit last season just wanted to get to the World Cup.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 pm

I'd get rid

Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:55 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:
Skewett wrote:

Lol

Again, read my comment afterwards. World Cup football is all about posession and exploiting openings. Championship football is more consistent and physical. Medel DID have a good World Cup but let's for example point out the defensive mistake against Australia for their goal or being too short to deal with Brazil's presence for their goal. Something that teams would look to exploit in the Championship, his lack of height. International football is also played at a slower tempo, not to mention that in the World Cup you have more of a togetherness on a grand stage. In the Championship there is minimal time for consistency. Medel wouldn't fit in the Championship as a CDM, never mind a CB.

You know everything don't you :lol:

Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:11 pm

Lots of talk just now about Ole maybe playing 442.

Why not Medel as a traditional sweeper?

Or do some posters think he's too short for that too.

As for the physical side of the Championship you don't get the name El Pitbull for fannying around at the back. I'm sure he can tackle with the best of em' lost track of the number of times he tracked back last year to make covering midfield tackles to massive rounds of applause.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:01 pm

RyanW_CCFC wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:
Skewett wrote:

Lol

You know everything don't you :lol:

Did I say I did? I gave my opinion, nothing is factual.