Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Simon Cowell being trolled on Twitter over Israeli donation

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:45 am

Cowell trolled over £90,000 Israel gift: X Factor mogul sent images of dead children on Twitter after he donated money to soldiers' organisation

The music magnate donated sum at fundraiser last year
Pro-Palestine social media users are furious about donation
Cowell has embraced the Jewish faith of the mother of his child
He was brought up Catholic but his father's mother was Jewish refugee
Comes amid mounting concern about anti-Semitism in Britain and Europe
By Alasdair Glennie

Published: 23:58 GMT, 22 July 2014 | Updated: 06:57 GMT, 23 July 2014

Anger: Opponents of the two-week military action have seized on a £90,000 donation Cowell made to the Friends of the Israel Defence Forces (FIDF) at a fundraiser last year
He has never been afraid of getting into spats on his reality TV shows, but now Simon Cowell has found himself in the middle of a much more serious conflict.

The X Factor mogul has been bombarded with gruesome images of dead Palestinian children by protesters who accuse him of helping the Israeli invasion of Gaza.

It comes amid fears of growing anti-Semitism across Europe as violence between Israel and Hamas in Gaza escalates.

Opponents of Israel's two-week military action have seized on a £90,000 donation Cowell made to the Friends of the Israel Defence Forces (FIDF) at a fundraiser last year.

The organisation, founded by Holocaust survivors in 1981, says on its website that it provides Israeli soldiers with ‘love, support and care in an effort to ease the burden they carry on behalf of the Jewish community worldwide.’

At a fundraiser in Beverley Hills, hosted by billionaire TV magnate Haim Saban, Cowell, 54, publicly gave $150,000 [£90,000] to the cause.

Overall, the gala dinner, which was attended by more than 1,000 supporters including singer Lionel Ritchie, raised more than £12million for the FIDF.

But in the wake of this month’s conflict in Gaza, dozens of Palestinian supporters attacked Cowell on Twitter and posted graphic reminders of the death toll online in an effort to shame him for his generosity.

Alongside an image of four dead Palestinian children on stretchers, one poster – writing under the name Leema – told Cowell: ‘You have blood on ur hands’.

Another, using the name kiks, sent him a picture of a grieving father holding his dead baby and wrote: ‘u donated money to israel to do this. Now imagine this was ur child’.

A third, tmrottweiler, said: ‘Well at least Simon Cowell doesn’t have to go to Israel to see how the money he raised 4 the idf is being spent he just has 2 watch the news.’

Other messages suggested the music mogul was part of a 'Zionist' plot and accused him taking orders from his 'masters in Tel Aviv'.

Re: Simon Cowell being trolled on Twitter over Israeli donat

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 am

I'm one of them Carl :D

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell
Cowell Your a Total Disgrace giving money to murderers who are slaughtering innocent children and families
11:40am - 23 Jul 14

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 am

Annis did you know that cowell also paid the legal defence costs for convicted Pedophile Jonathan King, Gary Glitter and of course was Max Clifford's biggest client and oldest friend hmmmmmmmmm?

Lots of rumours about him online with certain enquiries

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/a ... shame.html

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:Annis did you know that cowell also paid the legal defence costs for convicted Pedophile Jonathan King, Gary Glitter and of course was Max Clifford's biggest client and oldest friend hmmmmmmmmm?

Lots of rumours about him online with certain enquiries

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/columnists/a ... shame.html

:o :shock: :evil:

No I never Danny :o

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 am

Many people dont.

None of the papers will touch it through fear of getting sued..

The dots are there to be joined up and a little research you will find some horrible things

you will see this guy shouting at Max Clifford outside court asking him why hes covering up for Simon cowell. This clip was on sky news with simons name dubbed out.

Skip to 3 minutes and 32 seconds to hear simon cowell mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuWO1ZUgxgo

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 am

DannyboyBluebirds wrote:Many people dont.

None of the papers will touch it through fear of getting sued..

The dots are there to be joined up and a little research you will find some horrible things

you will see this guy shouting at Max Clifford outside court asking him why hes covering up for Simon cowell. This clip was on sky news with simons name dubbed out.

Skip to 3 minutes and 32 seconds to hear simon cowell mentioned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuWO1ZUgxgo

Well cheers Danny as I will let thousands know :thumbright:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:45 am

:roll:

This is how people decide to react to the situation? How about pressuring ones government or starting a movement/joining one.

I haven't had faith in the 'overall' humanity in a long time; probably since I was a kid. But the fact that this is getting more coverage than real movements for change is part of the problem. :old:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:00 am

If Gaza/hamas accepted a cease fire last week, this would bot have escalated as much - Fact

Who fired rockets at who's country first? - Gaza/Hamas

If Hamas/Gaza accepted a cease fire Today, would Israel pull out? - Yes

If Israel accepted a cease fire Today, would Hamas stop firing rockets? - No

It's been proven that Hamas offices and hideouts areat Schools, Hospitals and public places, where if they get shot at, they can defend themselves behind Media stories about israel killing Children & Parents. They have every right to defend themselves legally, Which in the eyes of the UN, they have been doing.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:01 am

I respect Cowell's freedom to donate to the Israeli equivalent of Help for Heroes

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:04 am

stentona wrote:I respect Cowell's freedom to donate to the Israeli equivalent of Help for Heroes

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

Don't see the issue here?

SC was donating to what he believed was a good cause, he wasn't to know what was to happen.

I highly doubt that he's a pedophile too. Could have guessed it with Saville, Clifford etc - even Ralph Harris - but don't believe SC is.

Definitely don't agree with the idiots sending him that rubbish on Twitter.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

stentona wrote:I respect Cowell's freedom to donate to the Israeli equivalent of Help for Heroes

I don't think anyone would call the IDL heroes.
Even though i don't agree with everything the British army have done at least they know the difference between civilians and insurgents. The majority of the dead in Gazza are civilians and i am sure if this happened anywhere else in the world it would be classed as a war crime.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:40 pm

Dont beleieve all the bullshit you read in papers how else are they going to sell them

Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:49 pm

Yet again people hiding behind social media (facebook and twitter) to mouth off and threaten people.
Unsure why it is, that if they feel so strongly about it that they don't go over there and do something constructive - like help the injured or fight the Israelis.

Of course they wont as it would mean actually having to do something that might endanger themselves. Just a bunch of mouthy cowards, who like to think they are caring by being brave and standing up for what they believe in while hiding behind their keyboards or police lines on demos. Next week it will the trees or fracking - whichever is the flavour of the month.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:20 pm

abergblue wrote:Yet again people hiding behind social media (facebook and twitter) to mouth off and threaten people.
Unsure why it is, that if they feel so strongly about it that they don't go over there and do something constructive - like help the injured or fight the Israelis.

Of course they wont as it would mean actually having to do something that might endanger themselves. Just a bunch of mouthy cowards, who like to think they are caring by being brave and standing up for what they believe in while hiding behind their keyboards or police lines on demos. Next week it will the trees or fracking - whichever is the flavour of the month.

This is a bit more than tree's and fracking mate.....have you seen the images of burnt toddlers coming out of gaza tonight.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I'm one of them Carl :D

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell
Cowell Your a Total Disgrace giving money to murderers who are slaughtering innocent children and families

So is he entitled to freedom of opinion?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=144422

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 pm

Its his money to give to who he wants to dont see the problem.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:17 pm

NJ73 wrote:

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell

Yes he is entitled to freedom of opinion but we are also responsible for what we say or do.

Cowell has gone down the road of a subject where he knew he was going to attract attention. He now has to take the adversary action that goes with the territory.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:22 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell

Yes he is entitled to freedom of opinion but we are also responsible for what we say or do.

Cowell has gone down the road of a subject where he knew he was going to attract attention. He now has to take the adversary action that goes with the territory.

Indeed but one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:24 pm

NJ73 wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell

Indeed but one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Absolutely.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:Don't see the issue here?

SC was donating to what he believed was a good cause, he wasn't to know what was to happen.

I highly doubt that he's a pedophile too. Could have guessed it with Saville, Clifford etc - even Ralph Harris - but don't believe SC is.

Definitely don't agree with the idiots sending him that rubbish on Twitter.

Same as I see it really.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:20 pm

NJ73 wrote:

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell

Yes,but I can totally disagree with him giving money to arm the Jews to massacre Palestinians. :thumbup:

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:44 pm

So tell me then, its OK for Palestine to attack Israel but as soon as Israel attack its wrong & just because they take their land all the politically correct people are up in arms. You realise Palestine is run by Hamas..... Mostly an Islam nation.....

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:45 pm

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell

So what about Palestine attacks on Israel then ????? Who are run by Hamas ?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:36 pm

There are a number of points on here:

1) Cowell is free to give money to whatever cause he feels is worthy and as he is married to a Jewish woman then he probably has developed some affinity to Israel.

2) The actions of the IDF recently will perhaps make him reevaluate his position but then again perhaps not as the American Jews I have met tend to be more passionate and idealistic about Israel than many Israelis. Israelis, in my experience, tend to be more practical about the situation.

3) Annis, I completely share your horror at the massacre in Gaza. One small point is that people in Israel should be called Israelis and not Jews. Certainly the majority of the population there are Jewish by (for want of a better word) race but many are secular atheists. Many more would say they believe in God but only in the loosest way and not be regular synagogue goers. Roughly a quarter of the population are not Jewish in any sense of the word, being Muslim or Christian (loosely speaking). Using the catch-all term Jews creates a problem in the same way as when the people of Gaza are referred to as Muslims, as Warren of Merthyr seems so eager to point out.

4) It's very difficult to avoid having religion being dragged into the conflict. Of course it does become embroiled and this only further complicates matters. Essentially it is a fight about land. It is a massive historical mess which dates back pre-1947 to the Balfour Declaration of 1917 and even beyond. We (the British) certainly did not cover ourselves in glory with regard to how Israel came about.

5) I think the seemingly intractable situation is largely due to idealists on both sides who are unwilling to compromise or relinquish power. Hamas attacks on Israel strengthen the position of the right, like Netanyahu and Likud and Israel attacks on Gaza strengthen the position of Hamas by breeding hatred of Israel. The two sets of extremists perpetuate one another. There are moderates on both sides but they get drowned out when the bully boys start shouting.

6) To preempt any questions, I am a white Welsh atheist. I am generally pro-Palestinian after living in Palestine for a year during my university studies. I would never condone firing missiles at civilians as Hamas are doing but what Israel are doing is like kicking a child within an inch of its life because it threw its dummy at you. The disproportionate response is staggering. And when the IDF puts out posters of Paris with rockets flying at the Eiffel Tower and ask 'What would you do?' it makes me angry because they are trying to simplify a situation that has built up over nearly seventy years of occupation and displacement and humiliation.

7) The thing I find most staggering of all is the reaction of the West. It seems that, despite political bluster and hot air, there actually is no real will to take any action that will make Israel sit up and take notice. This is because Israel is THE key ally in the region. But, just imagine if the situation were reversed...what kind of response would that prompt?

Just some thoughts on the situation.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:47 pm

can someone educate me here.

i have read that hamas governs the gaza strip and is democratically elected, is that true?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:51 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatah%E2%8 ... le_in_Gaza

Read away my friend. Though bear in mind it is Wikipedia. I haven't read it through myself but the basics are there.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:58 pm

thanks.

so 'Since 2007, it has governed the Gaza Strip, after it won a majority of seats in the Palestinian Parliament in the 2006 Palestinian parliamentary elections['

and in the hamas charter are pearl of wisdom such as:

'“Israel will exist and will continue to exist until Islam will obliterate it, just as it obliterated others before it.”

"“The Prophet, Allah bless him and grant him salvation, has said: ‘The Day of Judgement will not come about until Moslems fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Moslems, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him.’”

i find it difficult to feel sorry for people who want to exterminate the jewish faith.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 pm

It is difficult to sympathise with Hamas. There are lots of issues there but primarily you must remember that Gaza is not a monolith. Hamas does not represent the whole of Gaza and not all of Gaza support Hamas. Do the conservatives speak for everyone in Britain? Or the Scottish Nationals for everyone in Scotland? Plaid for Wales? It is the same with Israel, many people there would be happy to see an end to settlement building and the creation of a Palestinian state.

Both Hamas and Likud would have us believe simple narratives of us and them. Or perhaps more accurately us OR them. Situations are rarely ever so simple. And this situation has more layers than a twenty foot high puff pastry.

At the end of the day, as many on here have said, it is women and children and old men and even young men who probably are not Hamas militants that are being slaughtered.

Try having some sympathy for them.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:39 am

Forever Blue wrote:
NJ73 wrote:

@AnnisAbraham
@SimonCowell

Yes,but I can totally disagree with him giving money to arm the Jews to massacre Palestinians. :thumbup:

this is what the organisation cowell donated to do:

Friends of the Israel Defense Forces (FIDF) was established in 1981 by a group of Holocaust survivors to provide for education and wellbeing of the men and women who serve in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) as well as the families of fallen soldiers. Headquartered in New York City, FIDF is a 501c3 not-for-profit corporation that operates 15 regional offices in the United States and Panama.

they do not arm israeli soldiers, but exist to support their education and support the families of soldiers who are killed in action.

would you condemn me for chucking a quid in the help for heroes buckets?