Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Cardiff City's New Captain '

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:34 am

Now that Steven Caulker has gone, who should Ole appoint as our new Captain?

Many expect Mark Hudson to take it, would you agree?

Another question, was Caulker the right player as Captain of Cardiff City?

Re: ' Cardiff City's New Captain '

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:36 am

I don't think Hudson is good enough even for a place in the team

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:42 am

New captain would have to be a 100% shore in to start each game ....... and can speak good English :D :D :D

Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 am

Mutch

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:06 am

Marshall if he stays.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 am

Step forward David Marshall!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 am

No, Caulker should never have been captain. No where near good enough. Good defender tho. Need a leader on and off the pitch. Hudson is the boy, buy unfortunately will not get the game time.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 am

No, Caulker should never have been captain. No where near good enough. Good defender tho. Need a leader on and off the pitch. Hudson is the boy, buy unfortunately will not get the game time.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:39 am

Marshall for me.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:40 am

Turner I'd go for.

Marshall may be a shout but personally I don't think a goalkeeper can effect the team as captain as much.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:53 am

Gunnerson if he starts for me

Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 am

Caulker was not ready in his career to be a captain of the team let alone captain of a newly promoted PL side.

Caulker needed a leader guiding him in my opinion.

It is a difficult shout for next captain, if Hudson is going to be a mainstay in the team then it must be him but if not I think the choice becomes difficult and not one player stands out immediately as an obvious choice.

As a player Juan Cala looks like an organiser but his lack of English would be an issue.

After Cala, I think you would have to be considering Whittingham but concerns would be he is not vocal enough.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:00 am

I'd give it to Marshall - although he seems timid in interviews - you can tell how vocal he gets when he's playing.

Anything to tie him down that much more to the club might be a good thing?

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:01 am

Hudson if he was a 'shoe in' but unfortunately he's not (IMO)
That said, I don't think we have any other leaders and that was a massive contribution to our downfall last season. We desperately need to sign someone who can step in as captain ... take a bow Jose Fonte?

Gunnarson not good enough
Marshall nice idea but can influence little on the pitch

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:30 am

Give it to jordan mutch
Alongside a new contract

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:11 am

Craig Noone. May seem an odd choice but I don't see any leadership traits in Whitts, Marshall or Mutch.

Secondary cap'n Turner or Gunnarson.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:24 am

Forever Blue wrote:Now that Steven Caulker has gone, who should Ole appoint as our new Captain?

Many expect Mark Hudson to take it, would you agree?

Another question, was Caulker the right player as Captain of Cardiff City?

I like Hudson and thought he played well for us in The Championship last time around..and THAT Beckhamesque goal will stay in the memory forever! :thumbup:

Should he be Captain? A good choice IF he is going to be paying regularly, which sadly I doubt :(

For me, of the others it would have to be someone who is both vocal and commands respect from his colleagues, so I am going to suggest David Marshall

An odd choice from the position of goalkeeper, but it has been done before and the Italian legend Dino Zoff did it internationally for years, including at the Word Cup :thumbup:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 am

Mark Hudson will be club captain, there's no doubt about that. If have him on the pitch as well, he's got a good partnership with Turner and they got us promoted last time. Not to forget Huds was the best defender in the division the season we went up, too many people writing him off too early.

If Huds weren't on the pitch though I'd giv it to Turner or Gunnarsson. Turner has led the team out a few times in pre season and IMO would make a good captain. Gunnar is also the captain of Iceland so he's got experience

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 am

It's a no brainer if marshy stays it's got to be him and I think caulker was the right choice cos if we had stayed in the premiership he wd still be here for many years to come.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

I think we need to see who is here when the season starts. Fonte perhaps? I hear the calls for Marshall but ideally you want an outfield player who is present up and down the pitch and can impact play. Cala isn't a bad shout if his English is coming on well.

Hudson (love him), Gunnar and Turner are no goes for me because I don't expect them to play a lot.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:51 am

Would be more than happy with Hudson again - but I'm not sure he is going to command a spot in the team.

As for Mutch, I am not convinced we get enough games per season out of him to be captain.

Bring SuperKev back!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:42 pm

I can only see Marshall holding a regular spot in the first team at the moment so would be first choice. But if Huds can recapture his form then it would make sense for him to take the captaincy band

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Kagisho Dikgacoi

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm

I suppose Peter Whittingham is a candidate for his longevity and will probably be a regular but is he Captain material? Maybe a bit more responsibility might make him more vocal, certainly would have the respect of the other players.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Please not Marshall. Let him do his job as great as he's doing it without the extra pressure. Whittingham isn't commanding enough to be a captain.

I'd give it to Fonte if he signs.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Turner. Hudson is a hasbeen

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:07 pm

Marshall please.

He is a top, well respected player.
He is key for defence where the focus needs to be this season (IMO).
He is vocal on the pitch.
He has the experience to cope with his position and the captaincy.
Captaincy will strengthen his affiliation to the club (not that his loyalty could be questioned in any way).
He will make the leap to PL comfortably as he did before.

:thumbup: :bluescarf:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Fabio.

I admit I was very sceptical about him when he signed but think ole got a cracker here. Is vocal on pitch, has tremendous work rate and is a cracking player. Has spoken brilliantly about the club in all summer and seems to be very popular in the dressing room.

So its fabio for me guys.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm

Marshall !

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 pm

If he stays, Marshall all day long -a city legend in the making ! :bluescarf: