Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Turner & Hudson - Reunion this season

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 am

Why Ben Turner and Mark Hudson reunion would boost Cardiff City's Championship chances - Steve Tucker

Who will line up at centre back has become a hot topic for Cardiff City fans. Here, Steve Tucker makes a case for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to reunite Ben Turner and Mark Hudson.

There are plenty of fascinating questions still to be answered about what kind of Cardiff City side Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will field next season.

Will David Marshall still be in goals? Who will get the nod up-front out of a large stable of strikers? But perhaps the most intriguing is just who will the Bluebirds’ boss pair at centre-half?

We say pair, despite the fact that last season the Norwegian surprised many by going with three at the back on occasion. With the Bluebirds now favourites in the Championship and looking to dictate matters rather than react to them, it seems almost certain Solskjaer will go with a traditional flat back-four this time around.

Replacing Steven Caulker -
The mystery right now is who will Solskjaer bring in to replace Steven Caulker, who looks certain to hit the exit button this summer to return to the Premier League.

Although the bigger question might be, do Cardiff really need to bring in anyone at all at all - even if last season’s skipper does depart?

Bids have apparently been placed for Southampton’s Jose Fonte and Solskjaer has also been linked with a raid on former club Manchester United for promising young defender Michael Keane, but would this dismiss the assets already under the Cardiff manager’s nose?

Even without Caulker, the Bluebirds still look very well served when it comes to centre-halves. They have the men who defended so resolutely to lift the Championship title and see the Bluebirds promoted to the Premier League in the first place still at the club. Mark Hudson, Ben Turner and Matt Connolly are still in the Welsh capital and when you factor in the addition of smooth Spaniard Juan Cala, Solskjaer right now is better served in the heart of defence than his predecessor Malky Mackay ever was.

Youngster Ben Nugent, who looked to be on the verge of a break-through under Mackay, has been allowed out on loan to Yeovil, whilst 21-year-old Uruguayan Maximilano Amondarain remains an unknown quantity, albeit an unknown quantity with three years of a four-year deal still left.

But of the serious contenders in place already for next season it is Hudson who presents the strongest argument for inclusion. There are widespread rumours linking him with a move away, with former club Crystal Palace and rivals Leeds United apparently sniffing around.

But if Hudson is allowed to go it could prove a big mistake by Solskjaer.

Cardiff City's promotion season

The commanding centre back was superb in Cardiff’s promotion campaign. After all he was not named Player of the Season for nothing. He anchored the back-line, usually alongside Ben Turner, with the Bluebirds very resolute when it came to not conceding goals.

Indeed it could be argued that with the Cardiff hardly hot-shots up-front that year, it was the likes of Hudson and his defensive colleagues upon which the taming of the second-flight was built.

And that is another point about Hudson, the guy is a leader of men, a reassuring and stirring figure on the pitch. He proudly wore the Cardiff armband and it could be argued it was a presence like his, a player to rally around when the going gets tough, that the Bluebirds missed as they floundered in the top-flight. Hudson managed just two starts in the Premier League last season before his campaign was curtailed by injury.

Some might point to the fact Hudson is now 32 years old, but that is hardly a great age and he is scrupulous in keeping himself fit. Hudson remains one of the most professional members of the Cardiff squad. To let him go now would be losing a man who again could be a massive asset to the Bluebirds promotion push

In their most recent preseason friendly out in Austria, Solskjaer paired Hudson with Cala who was experiencing his first action of the summer. It seems a partnership that could well work in the Championship with the uncompromising Hudson complimenting the Spaniard who likes to get the ball down and play. The same could be said of pairing Cala with Turner.

Dividing opinion -
Turner has been a player who has divided opinion virtually since he arrived at the club three years ago. The 26-year-old is often seen as lacking any finesse at all and his distribution branded woeful, but every time he has been taken out of the side Turner just seems to keep roaring back and defying his critics in the process. If at times he was found out in the Premier League he is tried and tested at Championship level and would appear to have a very big season in front of him now. The Bluebirds are going to need to scrap if they are to get out of the second-flight and Turner is certainly a man you want around when it comes to a fight.

There would be plenty who might argue that despite the presence of Cala in the Cardiff squad, despite even the arrival of a new centre-half this summer, it could well be the old ‘meat and potatoes’ pairing of Hudson and Turner which might prove the rock on which the next Bluebirds promotion push is built on. Indeed if the Cardiff are to have a bright future next term it might be a nod to the past that paves the way.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... rk-7470879?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Turner & Hudson - Reunion this season

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 am

With Caulker all set to leave as well, I'd imagine we'll pick up at least another one centre back before the transfer window closes, which I suspect would knock Hudson down the pecking order!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:56 am

i would like to see turner and cala at the back next season myself

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:57 am

Overthemoon wrote:With Caulker all set to leave as well, I'd imagine we'll pick up at least another one centre back before the transfer window closes, which I suspect would knock Hudson down the pecking order!

Yep thats what i think keith but hudson club captain to it makes no sence that one if hes not getting any game time :?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 am

Bluebird1977 wrote:
Overthemoon wrote:With Caulker all set to leave as well, I'd imagine we'll pick up at least another one centre back before the transfer window closes, which I suspect would knock Hudson down the pecking order!

Yep thats what i think keith but hudson club captain to it makes no sence that one if hes not getting any game time :?

He's spent a lot of time injured as club captain Ian, but it wasn't Ole who gave him the job in the first place!

I'd imagine Ole likes Hudson as a person (the same as the rest of us), but probably would like a better player(s)!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:04 am

Steve Tucker has obviously had £100 on city to go down!!

We need defenders of quality - and soon!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:48 am

Turner and a new CB for me. Turner needs the captaincy :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:54 am

I'm not a big fan of Turner - brilliant defender but sh!t footballer!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Definitely a good enough partnership to get us promoted, providing they both stay fit. We're lucky to have Cala as well who is a good defender

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:26 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:Turner and a new CB for me. Turner needs the captaincy :ayatollah:

Agreed about Turner. :thumbup:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:i would like to see turner and cala at the back next season myself

i would like to see you as Admin. Top post recently :thumbup:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Neither are good enough for the premier league and therefore I think it would be a mistake pairing them this season. Turner in my opinion is a liability and just can't pass the ball, it put us under immense pressure last season. Although Hudson is a limited player he has leadership qualities and is less of a liability. One of them in a centre back pairing would be ok but two would be a disaster... even if we went up with the two of them at the back we would have to completely dissemble them and replace them... With Cala however I believe we have a quality centre back with the right qualities to play in this division and the permier league. I think we should look to him and either Hudson as a partner or even another. But Turner for me is a shocking player.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:23 pm

I would prefer Juan Cala and it is uncertain that Hudson is staying as he is wanted by Leeds United.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:24 pm

on todays first half Hudson turner not good enough :wave: I hope he buys fast

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:27 pm

papa wrote:on todays first half Hudson turner not good enough :wave: I hope he buys fast

they are afraid of the ball - to easy targets for pressure...

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 pm

The problem with Turner is that teams we were playing last year worked out if they close him down and pressure him he will always hoof the ball upfield handing them possession. I can't see him changing this side to his game now. Otherwise he is a good defender.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Turner is fine for this division.
Hudson I like but he is picking up a lot of injuries and I just feel we should now be looking at alternatives for him.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:09 pm

On the evidence of match against russians cala is way ahead of Hudson.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:30 pm

Tommy2 wrote:On the evidence of match against russians cala is way ahead of Hudson.

Yes but its all about fitness people keep saying :laughing6:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:23 pm

Turner is the least skilled professional footballer I've ever witnessed. f*cking hate his hoofball.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Bluebird1977 wrote:
Tommy2 wrote:On the evidence of match against russians cala is way ahead of Hudson.

Yes but its all about fitness people keep saying :laughing6:

That is true but dont doubt how much ole will be assessing his options and how they all connect, the club will say its all about fitness but there is more to it. I think this game was more about putting his players to as much of a test as possible, the goal wasnt to win.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:06 pm

I think turner is ok going back towards his goal but as for playing out he's awful and panics like a rabbit in the headlights..

I'd like to see us with Cala and a new quality player like fonte for example. Maybe also bring in Keane on loan as another option.
Would. Let Hudson go then.,