Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gary Medel returning & Kagisho Dikgacoi ready for debut

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:13 am

Gary Medel expected back at Cardiff City next week as Kagisho Dikgacoi prepares for debut at Haverfordwest
By Terry Phillips and Gareth Rogers

He has been the talk of the summer at Cardiff City but Chile World Cup hero Gary Medel is expected back in South Wales next week, despite reports of high level meetings between the Bluebirds and Inter Milan

Cardiff City insist Gary Medel is due back in training next week - despite speculation linking him to an imminent deal to Inter Milan.

The Chile star, on an extended post-World Cup break, has been having treatment on a thigh injury in and is making good progress, having trained with his former club, Universidad Católica on the weekend.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad return to South Wales from their pre-season tour to Austria on Thursday - and the Bluebirds expect Medel to report back soon after.

From the camp in Austria, Solskjaer says he's likely to sit down with the Chilean to discuss his future on his return.

The Norwegian has made not secret of the fact he would love Medel to stay and help the Bluebirds at Championship level and sources close to the club have insisted no meetings with the Serie A giants have taken place yet and NONE are planned.

Cardiff City/Pete ThomasKagisho Dikgacoi after signing for Cardiff City
Meanwhile, Medel's heir apparent, Kagisho Dikgacoi, is hoping to make his Cardiff City debut at Haverfordwest tomorrow.

Solskjaer has confirmed South African Dikgacoi did not make the trip to Austria for Cardiff’s pre-season tour because a visa could not be obtained in time.

Paperwork has taken longer then anticipated and Dikgacoi has had to be patient, but he is due to play for Cardiff’s development team against Welsh League Haverfordwest.

Re: Gary Medel returning & Kagisho Dikgacoi ready for debut

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 am

Hope he stays :bluescarf:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:33 am

powys wrote:Hope he stays :bluescarf:

I would love him to :thumbright: but I would be shocked if he did.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:41 am

I'd be interested to see him play at CB like he does for Chile...

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:52 am

Forever blue

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:56 am

chisey wrote:Forever blue

?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 am

Forever Blue wrote:

?

strange one, Annis :)

anyway give Gary the armband and play him CB.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:30 am

Jules wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

?

I'm a big fan of Medal & would love him to stay but do you not think he would struggle big time at CB with the type of football played in the championship?
Very different to playing CB at international level.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:59 am

If Medel stayed we could storm this division :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:01 am

Jules wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

?

Jules, I would love to think that he would stay,but after the World Cup and all the top clubs watching him, he would be daft to.

Would be a great leader :thumbup:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 am

OriginalGrangeEndBlue wrote:
Jules wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

?

I'm a big fan of Medal & would love him to stay but do you not think he would struggle big time at CB with the type of football played in the championship?
Very different to playing CB at international level.

He is a battler and I reckon he would be pure class in this division, he's a tough player and we need that type in the Championship :thumbup:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:43 am

Without doubt would be amazing in this division.

I think the lure of playing for one of the words most prestigious teams in one of the world most iconic stadiums (as good as our new stand is :D ) may be too much to resist.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:34 am

Don't think there's much chance of him settling for Championship football but it would be interesting to see him play centre-back/sweeper for us.

Col

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 am

Over rated.

Happy for Dikgacoi to be given his chance and we try sell Medel.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:56 pm

Is there a mistake we've already played in haverfordwest? :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Matt D wrote:I'd be interested to see him play at CB like he does for Chile...

He would get ruined in the championship at CB with all the crosses and long balls.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
Matt D wrote:I'd be interested to see him play at CB like he does for Chile...

He would get ruined in the championship at CB with all the crosses and long balls.

That's my thoughts but I don't think we'll get chance to find out unfortunately.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:41 pm

Sorry but He's not a match winner.

we could have Gutaso in his prime in front of the back 4 and still finish mid table. its about the goals scored one man doesnt make a team unless he scores all your goals

Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:15 pm

Regardless of his critics, he will be a force to be reckoned with in Championship!

I am one of those who feels he could do well at CB as he did for Chile. I've heard all the arguments about the physicality in the English leagues, but I still feel that he has something to offer.

His passion shown at the WC, if transferred to club level, should make him a candidate for the capt. armband too.

:bluescarf:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 pm

I bet he's put on a huge amount of weight over the last month, especially with his injury!

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Would love him as Captain

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Medel and his great learning of English, great captain.

Watched him and Daelhi play FIFA on YouTube, you'd think he would of grasped some of the language in 9 months.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 am

ffs wrote:I bet he's put on a huge amount of weight over the last month, especially with his injury!

I'll bet regardless of whether he stays with us or signs for another club he wont be ready for the start of season. As you said - I'd imagine he's put on some weight having been inactive back home.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:19 pm

This is all academic. Mendel showed his class at the World Cup and being courted by Inter and Galatasary - there's no way on earth that he'll play another game for us. Dikgacoi is the future and I really think he'll shine in our midfield next term :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:23 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Medel and his great learning of English, great captain.

Watched him and Daelhi play FIFA on YouTube, you'd think he would of grasped some of the language in 9 months.

He actually has quite a decent grasp of English. I spoke to him at Christmas time and he was getting to grips with it even then, bearing in mind that English is probably the hardest language to learn as a second language.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Medel and his great learning of English, great captain.

He actually has quite a decent grasp of English. I spoke to him at Christmas time and he was getting to grips with it even then, bearing in mind that English is probably the hardest language to learn as a second language.

あなたは日本を試してみてください!

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:29 pm

I believe City have been putting heir names in the press to tout them out.