Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Gerrard - Retires from international football

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Steven Gerrard: England captain quits international football

England captain Steven Gerrard has retired from international football after winning 114 caps.

Gerrard, 34, won his first cap in a 2-0 win over Ukraine in 2000 and made his last England appearance in a 0-0 draw with Costa Rica at the 2014 World Cup.
The Liverpool midfielder said: "I have enjoyed every minute of representing my country. It's a sad day for me."
Gerrard will now take on a "high profile" ambassadorial role with the Football Association.
He retires from international duty having scored 21 goals and played at six major tournaments. He ranks third on England's most-capped player list behind only Peter Shilton (125) and David Beckham (115).

Chief football writer Phil McNulty analysis

"It is the right decision for England, Liverpool and most importantly for a player who had earned the right to choose his own time of departure. He may not have touched the same heights for country as he did for club, but he still made a fine contribution to several eras for England."

Gerrard skippered England at this summer's World Cup in Brazil, however it was to end in disappointment for Roy Hodgson's team after they exited the tournament bottom of the group and without a victory.
"It was a very difficult decision to make," said Gerrard. "It's something I have been contemplating for a long time, not just since the end of the World Cup.
"I've had to take an awful lot of advice from people who are close to me - players that I still play with, ex-players who I played with a long time ago, managers who I played for years ago.
"It's been a really tough decision, certainly one of the toughest since I turned professional at 18."
England manager Hodgson said: "While I'm disappointed, I can entirely understand Steven's situation and can have no complaints given the incredible service he has given to his country."
Gerrard will continue his club career with Liverpool, for whom he made his debut in 1998 against Blackburn Rovers.
He has spent his entire career at Anfield - winning the Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup.

Re: Gerrard - Retires from international football

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:50 pm

England. Don't care.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:51 pm

mr_nellio wrote:England. Don't care.

We got a team with english in, are you one of them who chant same old english always cheating yet cheer on our english players :laughing6:

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:55 pm

No, not at a all. I'll support city players wherever they come from but couldn't care less about the England national team.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:37 pm

Thought he retired during the world cup. :D

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:33 am

Champions League influenced Gerrard’s England retirement
Tuesday, July 22, 2014

By Carl Markham
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard admits the club’s return to the Champions League was one of the factors in his decision to retire from international football.

The 34-year-old was used judiciously by Reds manager Brendan Rodgers last season and as a result made 34 Premier League appearances.

With the additional demands of Europe’s elite club competition for the first time in five years, England’s third-highest appearance maker has decided now is a good time to bow out.

“Obviously I have to look after my body as much as possible to ensure I can give everything when I take to the field,” said the midfielder who, with 114 caps, is only behind goalkeeper Peter Shilton (124) and David Beckham (115).

“To ensure I can keep playing to a high level and giving everything to Liverpool Football Club I believe this is the right decision, and having Champions League football back at Anfield is another big factor in my decision.”

Gerrard put a lot of thought into his decision after a disappointing World Cup and it is not as a result of a knee-jerk reaction.

“This has been a very difficult decision, one of the toughest I’ve had to make in my career,” he said.

“I have agonised over this since coming back from Brazil and have spoken to family, friends and people close to me in the game before coming to this point.”

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:31 am

Now Rooney needs to do the same.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:59 am

mr_nellio wrote:No, not at a all. I'll support city players wherever they come from but couldn't care less about the England national team.

Haha good answer mate!
My thoughts as well.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:49 am

Cheers pal! :thumbup:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am

hirwaunbluebird wrote:Thought he retired during the world cup. :D

:laughing6:

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:00 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Now Rooney needs to do the same.

Why?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:23 pm

thank god for that, i thought you was going to tell me anthony gerrard had retired from international level.....phewww,

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:33 pm

bluebird04 wrote:thank god for that, i thought you was going to tell me anthony gerrard had retired from international level.....phewww,

is he even still playing :laughing6: