Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

I am hearing Ole/City made a last minute attempt

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:05 pm

I am hearing Ole/City made a last minute attempt to persuade Steven Caulker to stay and offered him more money and that made Caulker demand even more of QPR and that is why there is a hold up, not a 100% on this, but its what I was told tonight ?

Yes clubs had agreed £8mill fee,but Ole wants him to stay.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=143579 :thumbup:

Re: I am hearing Ole/City made a last minute attempt

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:07 pm

If he wanrts to go then let him go as it's pointless having a player here who deep down doesn't want to be here especially the club captain

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:08 pm

throwing money at someone who doesn't want to be here? no sense in that... let him go Ole, and bring in someone else!

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 pm

Will your club ever learn the meaning of financial prudence?

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:15 pm

Williams has probably been offered more money to stay.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:19 pm

NJ73 wrote:Will your club ever learn the meaning of financial prudence?

Nothing is forever :thumbup:

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:21 pm

Miller time wrote:Williams has probably been offered more money to stay.

Of course he has. He has a year left on his contract and we have Premier League money.

You appear to be offering a player who has several years left to run on his contract an increase on his already substantial Premier League wages, to play in the Championship.

The two are not in the slightest bit comparable.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 pm

im the first to say if they wanna go goodbye I don't want players at city that don't wanna be here we'd be dying on our arse I can understand medel wanting to go after his fantastic world cup outing but caulker's career could only be built upon with a season in the championship hes not a captain yet to young for that pressure someone else need that armband like Hudson/whitts ppl experienced at the level were playing at this season ust my opinion but learn to crawl before you can walk the running will come soon after :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:I am hearing Ole/City made a last minute attempt to persuade Steven Caulker to stay and offered him more money and that made Caulker demand even more of QPR and that is why there is a hold up, not a 100% on this, but its what I was told tonight ?

So he is just using Cardiff to get more money out of QPR? Let him go! He is good but not that good.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:28 am

LonCar wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:I am hearing Ole/City made a last minute attempt to persuade Steven Caulker to stay and offered him more money and that made Caulker demand even more of QPR and that is why there is a hold up, not a 100% on this, but its what I was told tonight ?

So he is just using Cardiff to get more money out of QPR? Let him go! He is good but not that good.

I disagree, I think he is a very good defender.
One that would grace the league we currently play in.
Also I think had he went to a side that were more established in the Premierleauge like Everton or someone(instead of signing for us) then he would've gone to World Cup.

Annis suggested on DWQPR's thread that Steven was one of the top three earners,if he signs I'm guessing he will become the best paid player our club has ever had. :bluescarf:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:50 am

I guess it's not easy to persuade a bloke who usually get what he wants, who is a billionaire, who hasn't a clue how to run a football club to be prudent, why don't you jacks come and see him and tell him. And by the way it's not our club, it's his like most clubs, the fans are almost irrelevant these days...

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:51 am

AJ1927 wrote:
LonCar wrote:

Also I think had he went to a side that were more established in the Premierleauge like Everton or someone(instead of signing for us) then he would've gone to World Cup.

Annis suggested on DWQPR's thread that Steven was one of the top three earners,if he signs I'm guessing he will become the best paid player our club has ever had. :bluescarf:

It's ridiculous paying out what 60 or 70 k a week in the championship though, unbelievable.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:01 am

Its all guess work on our part.

As opposed to what NJ73 has said we may not be upping his Premier wages. As with his relegation release clause there may be a relegation cut in wages clause.

We may have just offered to up his Championship wage. Its still obviously a fair whack if its made him rethink though.
Last edited by Wayne S on Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:01 am

I think he was hoping a better team than QPR would come in for him. If we offer him more money, he has to think whether he wants to spend another season in a struggling Premier team, or fight to get back there with us.

I don't think he'll stay, but I'd love it if he did. :ayatollah:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:06 am

I think it'd be mad to keep players like Caulker and Medel. A poor champ season and we're stuck with them on high wages.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 am

Aramore wrote:I think it'd be mad to keep players like Caulker and Medel. A poor champ season and we're stuck with them on high wages.

Their wages are also outrageous in my opinion.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:40 am

Forever Blue wrote:
Aramore wrote:I think it'd be mad to keep players like Caulker and Medel. A poor champ season and we're stuck with them on high wages.

Their wages are also outrageous in my opinion.

I agree we really need to keep our wages at a sensible leave, maybe Ole is finding it hard to fined a replacement for him. I hate it when a player holds a club to ransom,no player should be bigger than the club

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:47 am

NJ73 wrote:Will your club ever learn the meaning of financial prudence?

I agree it will probably take the club going into bankruptcy to learn the error of our ways, possible twice

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:09 am

Sorry Annis, your way off the mark, Caulker has not been offered any more, in fact he has told, as have all others that his wages have been cut by 20% in line with relegation FACT :thumbup:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:17 am

All players wages down by 20%... dont be rediculous.

That would take relegation clauses in EVERYONES contracts. Some of these contracts were in place before we even made the prem league so to say that everyone has that built in is realistically way off the mark

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:20 am

Love it when people pretend to be in the know & then write FACT at the end of it to make it more credible. :laughing6:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:30 am

jezzy666 wrote:All players wages down by 20%... dont be rediculous.

That would take relegation clauses in EVERYONES contracts. Some of these contracts were in place before we even made the prem league so to say that everyone has that built in is realistically way off the mark

Do you not think that all the players got a pay rise in their contracts for playing in the Premiership?? The same way they would have a clause written in for relegation. Are you so thick as to think that clauses are not added into a contract as it goes along? It's mind boggling how dumb this board is at time :laughing5: :laughing5:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:31 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:Love it when people pretend to be in the know & then write FACT at the end of it to make it more credible. :laughing6:

sarcasm is obviously lost you :thumbup: :laughing5:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:21 pm

AJ1927 wrote:
LonCar wrote:

Well i did say he isn't good but IMO he has not shown anything outstanding that makes me think he can't be replaced. If he was that good he would have been been able to command the wages he wants at Liverpool or Tottenham
If all this is true then he doesn't really wanna be here he is just using the club to get what he wants. We need players that are motivated to play in the championship for Cardiff. I hope the club tells him to make up his mind quick. We need to move on and find a CB to replace him get him in for preseason.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:07 pm

[quote="Barry Chuckle"]Love it when people pretend to be in the know & then write FACT at the end of it to make it more credible. :laughing6:[/quote]

funny enough people you support on here say (fact) at end of statements occasionally, and they are in the know more than most! how credible are they? :laughing6:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:08 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
funny enough people you support on here say (fact) at end of statements occasionally, and they are in the know more than most! how credible are they? :laughing6:

I don't support anyone. I have my own thoughts and opinions. :thumbright: I don't think that ANYONE is in the know. :laughing6:

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:04 pm

I think people underestimate just how good Caulker can be. He will get England caps, which for a centre half is a big deal. He might think staying us could jeopardise that ambition. He must've watched England at the World Cup and thought I could be there. And he can in the future.

I am up for Campbell, Medel, Cowie, Mason and the like to go (mainly for economic reasons). But I would love for Caulker to stay.

He'll go though surely.

?

Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Otto wrote:I think people underestimate just how good Caulker can be. He will get England caps, which for a centre half is a big deal. He might think staying us could jeopardise that ambition. He must've watched England at the World Cup and thought I could be there. And he can in the future.

I am up for Campbell, Medel, Cowie, Mason and the like to go (mainly for economic reasons). But I would love for Caulker to stay.

He'll go though surely.

?

First of all i think you underestimate just how good England are. :laughing6: They really aren't any good anymore so to be a (sometime) england international isn't necessarily an indication of strength. Players should be judged on how well they do for the club.
For the club he is strong and athletic but he is not fast, when he gets caught out of position like he still sometimes does it often results in a big chance for the opposition because he isn't fast enough to make up for it. He sometimes looks clumsy on the ball ( Cala for instance is much better on the ball but lacks Chaulkers athleticism). To be fair he was part of a shaky defence that conceded more goals than anyone in the PL he has to shoulder some of the blame for that.

When he reads the game better and make up for lack of pace he will be as good as people say he is. A bit overrated but a good player.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:02 pm

Let him go ffs

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I don't support anyone. I have my own thoughts and opinions. :thumbright: I don't think that ANYONE is in the know. :laughing6:

I have heard some people refer to ou as the " " but to be your good old Barry :thumbup: :laughing5: :laughing5: