Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: ' Swansea's loss,So Cardiff gain '

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Im sure there is a satelite Cardiff development /academy up in Oswestry?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:41 pm

Jackbustard wrote:Devestated by this news, forget the fact we are running at a profit, its our 4th season in the Premier League and we are signing top quality players just forget it all.

The fact you have signed one of our academy players and have more seats than us really does show you are Wales number 1.

:thumbright:

We know :thumbup:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:55 pm

6 bysedd wrote:You'll get Cardiff scouts at an opening of an envelope.They've saturated South Wales and like Waddle's just said, their philosophy seems to be quantity over quality.It is a difficult one though because it seems to work and they often beat Swansea when they play.

I just hope that Swansea aren't of the delusion in thinking that because we're Premier League and a good draw at the moment that any kid or parent would choose us over Cardiff because of this.I don't think that is the case to be honest because we're not that arrogant but we are behind Cardiff at this level no doubt.I think the number of changes at coaching level down here and the lack of direction shows that we aren't satisfied and are aware of this so hopefully we can get it right with this Adams chap and push on.

Sorry you are way off the mark we only go for quality you go for what ever is left I agree you are getting better but you are still far behind us.
We picked up an under 13 boy who lives 1 mile away from your stadium who is playing well above his age how did you miss out on that.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Going on about keepers who have Swansea brought through not sure they have

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:03 pm

birchblue wrote:
6 bysedd wrote:You'll get Cardiff scouts at an opening of an envelope.They've saturated South Wales and like Waddle's just said, their philosophy seems to be quantity over quality.It is a difficult one though because it seems to work and they often beat Swansea when they play.

I just hope that Swansea aren't of the delusion in thinking that because we're Premier League and a good draw at the moment that any kid or parent would choose us over Cardiff because of this.I don't think that is the case to be honest because we're not that arrogant but we are behind Cardiff at this level no doubt.I think the number of changes at coaching level down here and the lack of direction shows that we aren't satisfied and are aware of this so hopefully we can get it right with this Adams chap and push on.

Sorry you are way off the mark we only go for quality you go for what ever is left I agree you are getting better but you are still far behind us.
We picked up an under 13 boy who lives 1 mile away from your stadium who is playing well above his age how did you miss out on that.

we do have development centers all over the place so its hard to argue about quantity.......having said that i dont think its at the expense of quality because our results against the jacks are favourable..... and it was a Cardiff fan that posted regarding keepers.......

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:12 pm

birchblue wrote:

You might want to read the thread again and the post you've quoted.I'm agreeing with you.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Sadly very few academy players ever make it. South Wales clubs had a dreadful record for producing youth players in 70s and 80s. I remember the likes of Luton and Watford taking lots of kids from s wales to their youth schemes (pembridge! nogan brothers, ceri Hughes etc).

Since late 90s we have got better and in recent times Swansea are catching up.

We have produced the likes of Ledley, jerome, Matthews, Earnshaw, John with the likes of o'sullivan and James coming through. Swansea have produced Ben Davies, joe Allen and a few others. In terms of income generated Swansea probably win due to our incompetence in tieing Ledley and Matthews down to decent contracts.

At moment we have a better academy record but it's not significantly better and it's important that our scouting system is maintained.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:17 pm

birchblue wrote:

There's nothing to say we did miss out on that. Maybe our scouts/coaches didn't fancy him.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:23 pm

NJ73 wrote:
birchblue wrote:

There's nothing to say we did miss out on that. Maybe our scouts/coaches didn't fancy him.

They did fancy him as they went to his house when they knew he was signing for us. :bluescarf:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:25 pm

NJ73 wrote:
birchblue wrote:

Good point. Just because a player is playing a year or 2 above his age does not necessarily mean a thing. The player could be physically stronger and able to dominate the ball but when it comes to being technically good it means nothing.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
birchblue wrote:

Good point. Just because a player is playing a year or 2 above his age does not necessarily mean a thing. The player could be physically stronger and able to dominate the ball but when it comes to being technically good it means nothing.

Agree in what you are saying let's wait and see. :bluescarf:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:31 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Sadly very few academy players ever make it. South Wales clubs had a dreadful record for producing youth players in 70s and 80s. I remember the likes of Luton and Watford taking lots of kids from s wales to their youth schemes (pembridge! nogan brothers, ceri Hughes etc).

We have produced the likes of Ledley, jerome, Matthews, Earnshaw, John with the likes of o'sullivan and James coming through. Swansea have produced Ben Davies, joe Allen and a few others. In terms of income generated Swansea probably win due to our incompetence in tieing Ledley and Matthews down to decent contracts.

At moment we have a better academy record but it's not significantly better and it's important that our scouting system is maintained.

good post but Jerome is pushing it a bit

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
NJ73 wrote:
birchblue wrote:

Yep. From what I understand of our youth and academy training and philosophies, it's all possession based in line with the first team rather than strength and size.

That's not to say that we didn't miss out on him either as we may have of course. I've no evidence to back up either way.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:33 pm

simon.wiesenthal wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:Sadly very few academy players ever make it. South Wales clubs had a dreadful record for producing youth players in 70s and 80s. I remember the likes of Luton and Watford taking lots of kids from s wales to their youth schemes (pembridge! nogan brothers, ceri Hughes etc).

Fair enough but he was picked up by our academy when boro released him at 16. We can't take too much credit but in 3 years he went from boro reject to a 4million pound player.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:36 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
simon.wiesenthal wrote:

Fair enough but he was picked up by our academy when boro released him at 16. We can't take too much credit but in 3 years he went from boro reject to a 4million pound player.

i think he was 18...and was only with us 3 or 4 months before making his 1st team debut....it was more a very good gamble by the manager than brilliant coaching at youth team level at our club........

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:49 pm

I've seen the Swans kids 4 or 5 nil down and just passing it around the back and to the keeper.Very frustrating it is.Maybe it'll come good and our ethos of possession football is everything bares fruit but when you're there seeing that it boils your blood.Hopefully its all part of the masterplan.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:54 pm

6 bysedd wrote:I've seen the Swans kids 4 or 5 nil down and just passing it around the back and to the keeper.Very frustrating it is.Maybe it'll come good and our ethos of possession football is everything bares fruit but when you're there seeing that it boils your blood.Hopefully its all part of the masterplan.

Results don't count at that level as long as they are playing the right way which they are my son was at Bristol and they played the same way. :ayatollah:

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:55 pm

6 bysedd wrote:I've seen the Swans kids 4 or 5 nil down and just passing it around the back and to the keeper.Very frustrating it is.Maybe it'll come good and our ethos of possession football is everything bares fruit but when you're there seeing that it boils your blood.Hopefully its all part of the masterplan.

It's a difficult one. You can argue that passing football is the clubs philosophy and that performances are more important than results at academy level. However winning is a great habit and success breeds success.

Man utd are most successful British club over past 25 years. Their academy has produced tens of players and have done so winning trophies at their level.

Personally I think academy teams should play in the way the first team does if they have the players to do so.

One of the best things about being a fan is seeing a local lad doing well. My favourite ccfc players are virtually all local produced ones. Jason perry, earnie, Phil Dwyer and Scott young.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:58 pm

looking at the world cup...........i think this might be yesterdays news...Beckenbaur has remarked on his frustrations at the possession obsession at Bayern...... it is after all a game where 90% of goals are scored at all levels after 2 or less passes...i know thats over simplifying it but continuous passing around in your own half when your behind mystifies on times. kids should also be taught to win is my view.....

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Not sure where they got it from that Lloyd has great pace,he has one speed and that is not quick .
I have seen Lloyd play plenty of times he will be nowhere near the first team in 2/3 seasons time.
He's just over 5ft but he is very strong that is one positive

Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Would be great for us in NPT to see a local lad playing for the team. :ayatollah:

Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:35 am

Not a shock, similar happened with Adam Matthews. Thats one area of our club (apart from marketing) id like to see vast improvements in. Although in fairness our rise has been pretty fast so the priority is and has been the first team as we are constantly having to improve the quality of the squad to match the level we are competing at. It is getting better though and like all academies we wont see the fruits for a long time.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

It's a difficult one. You can argue that passing football is the clubs philosophy and that performances are more important than results at academy level. However winning is a great habit and success breeds success.

Man utd are most successful British club over past 25 years. Their academy has produced tens of players and have done so winning trophies at their level.

Personally I think academy teams should play in the way the first team does if they have the players to do so.

One of the best things about being a fan is seeing a local lad doing well. My favourite ccfc players are virtually all local produced ones. Jason perry, earnie, Phil Dwyer and Scott young.

Great points here re. senior team philosophy filtering into academy squads!! Otherwise, you miss a trick and could just be sponsoring the success of players to go off and play elsewhere (not that there's anything wrong with youngsters gaining success in another club).

The importance of winning is less important than at senior level but I agree it's a nice thing to experience. There's nothing wrong with testing yourself against the best though. Man C springs to mind - you never know!!

:thumbup: :bluescarf: