Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' ANDREW TAYLOR SOLD TO WIGAN ATHLETIC '

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:48 am

UPDATED
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=142452

Tuesday 03rd June 2014.

TRANSFER NEWS: Full-back @Andrew_Taylor86 has today signed for @LaticsOfficial.

Full-back heads to the DW Stadium after three-year-spell in Cardiff

Cardiff City can confirm the departure of full-back Andrew Taylor who has today joined Wigan Athletic. The 27-year-old full back departs Cardiff City Stadium after a three-year-spell in the Welsh Capital.

A  part of the dominant 2012/13 Championship title winning squad that took Cardiff City to the top flight for the first time in 51-years, Andrew made 43 appearances as the club claimed promotion to the Premier League. He went on to make 18 Barclays Premier League appearances last season, taking his total to 113 appearances in all competitions. Andrew scored one goal in his time with the Bluebirds.

All at Cardiff City would like to wish Andrew the very best of luck at his new club and thank him for his contribution during his time in South Wales.

Good news/Bad news?

Opinions? :thumbup:

:ayatollah: UPDATED :ayatollah:

Defender Andrew Taylor leaves Cardiff City for Wigan Athletic
Tuesday Jun 03, 2014 By Gareth Rogers

After falling out of favour at Cardiff City, left back Andrew Taylor has joined Championship promotion rivals Wigan Athletic

Andrew Taylor has left Cardiff City and joined Championship rivals Wigan Athletic after signing a three-year deal at the DW Stadium.

The left back, who was signed by Malky Mackay, had been frozen out by Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after Fabio arrived from Manchester United.

But now the man who was a regular during the Championship winning season of 2012/13, has left to join FA Cup semi finalists Wigan as Uwe Rosler aims to build a Championship promotion winning team.

The Latics' German boss said: “I’m very, very happy to get a player of Andrew’s stature and experience to our football club.

“He was the captain of Malky Mackay’s promotion-winning team, he is a very experienced and reliable player who is at the best stage of his career and I’m looking forward to working with him.

“He has all the qualities in his position that we are looking for; physically, technically he’s very good and tactically he has developed as a player well.

“He’s willing to go forward, participating in our play offensively and he’s another cornerstone in our team for next season.

“The quality he’s shown as a player for Middlesbrough and Cardiff is good but in particularly at Cardiff where he was captain of their promotion-winning team; I think that will do us very well as a team in next season’s campaign, especially when we’re bringing in younger players who need experienced players on the side to develop in the best way."

And Taylor echoed his new manager’s sentiments, stating his desire to take Latics back to the top-flight.

“Wigan Athletic are a big club, with Premier League experience and big aspirations,” he added.

“The manager seems really good and I think his record when he came to the club last season speaks volumes.

“It’s a fresh challenge for me and one I’m very excited about; I had three good years at Cardiff but everything has to come to an end and I’m looking forward to getting started at the DW Stadium.”

In a statement, Cardiff City said: "All at Cardiff City would like to wish Andrew the very best of luck at his new club and thank him for his contribution during his time in South Wales."
Last edited by vofgbluebird on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: ANDREW TAYLOR SOLD TO WIGAN ATHLETIC

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:49 am

Bit out the blue that one

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:50 am

wish him all the best but very happy with this do not rate him at all and we have better players :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 am

Good luck to him, but he had to go IMO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by The Welsh Dragon on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:52 am

Let's all have a party!!!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:53 am

Do we know if there was a fee involved?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:54 am

CraigCCFC wrote:Do we know if there was a fee involved?

im sure there would of been a small fee was contracted so doubt it was a free

CraigCCFC wrote:Do we know if there was a fee involved?

We gave them £8.50p and a packet of smarties.

CraigCCFC wrote:Bit out the blue that one

But he came out of red into Blue and white :lol:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:58 am

Great news. Absolute awful defender

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:59 am

All the best to him, good championship full back and always gave his all whilst on the pitch. Championship is definitely his level though. :thumbup: :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:01 am

Nuclearblue wrote:

And yellow ;)

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:01 am

Makes me think we have someone lined up

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

Dont let the Door hit you on the Way out.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:02 am

Easy 6 points against wigan next season then, just play down our right against taylor and we will be in every time ;)

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 am

Natman Blue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

And yellow ;)

Since when did Wigan have yellow in their kit? :?

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 am

Natman Blue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

And yellow ;)

Wigan just blue and white chief

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am

Fee?

Or did we pay them ?

Seriously though this is great news in the development of Declan John's future.. :bluescarf:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:04 am

Nuclearblue wrote:
Natman Blue wrote:
Nuclearblue wrote:

And yellow ;)

Wigan just blue and white chief

Thought you were referencing us not them

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:07 am

Good Luck Taylor.

Happy he's gone though.

Loving the work by OGS. Getting him off the wage bill and decreasing a rivals chance of promotion at the same time.

Great move.

Personally I think it's a good buy for them and we shouldn't underestimate them. Their left back last season was Crainey (Not sure if that's spelt right), who was at Blackpool the season before and as far as I can remember, was nothing special. Taylor can be good on his day, I've sat on the half way line in the Ninian Stand and I watch him quite a lot and he always put in a good shift in the championship, he'll be good for them. Wish him all the best and look forward to playing against him next season. :bluescarf:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:12 am

Taylor wasn't good enough for the Premiership, but was one of our best players in the Championship. I think Fabio and John are more than good enough though, plus McNaughton can fill in there. With a choice from KTC, Brayford and Connolly for right back, I think we could still do with offloading one more full back, which will probably be KTC.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:14 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Taylor wasn't good enough for the Premiership, but was one of our best players in the Championship. I think Fabio and John are more than good enough though, plus McNaughton can fill in there. With a choice from KTC, Brayford and Connolly for right back, I think we could still do with offloading one more full back, which will probably be KTC.

One of our best players in championship?

Your insanity is getting worse

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:17 am

Model professional, decent at this level and helped us get promoted. Also courteous and helped out a lot of charities while down here.

Good luck Andrew.

That wasn't hard and hI ope it does a little to re-balance the "easy" put downers people feel are required at this time.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:Taylor wasn't good enough for the Premiership, but was one of our best players in the Championship. I think Fabio and John are more than good enough though, plus McNaughton can fill in there. With a choice from KTC, Brayford and Connolly for right back, I think we could still do with offloading one more full back, which will probably be KTC.

best championship player?? dont be so stupid!

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:18 am

Oh please. He has been the weak link in our defence since he joined. He is neat on the ball but struggles for pace and got exposed many times, even at Championship level.

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:22 am

Farewell Mr Taylor and good luck.......except against us of course :ayatollah:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:30 am

Wayne S wrote:Model professional, decent at this level and helped us get promoted. Also courteous and helped out a lot of charities while down here.

Good luck Andrew.

That wasn't hard and hI ope it does a little to re-balance the "easy" put downers people feel are required at this time.

Have to agree - he was always one of the first to ackowledge the fans and regularly gave his shirt to someone near the front of the Ninian stand. Yes he was exposed in the Premier League (especially away at Anfield) but was always a trier and committed to the cause.

Good luck Andrew Taylor and thanks! :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:31 am

Yessssss great news.