Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Cardiff to meet Lewis Grabban's £3m release clause

Mon May 12, 2014 2:45 pm

RFMH wrote:Rhodes or Deeney can't cost much more than that.

Rhodes not sure, but probably a better option, Deeney is a good aggressive Striker would love him here.....,..

Mon May 12, 2014 2:46 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
17AG wrote:would much rather McCormack, proven goal scorer and a Cardiff boy

The Cardiff boy from Scotland? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon May 12, 2014 2:49 pm

Super Kev wrote:
Brighton & hove Albion wrote:
Super Kev wrote:
Brighton & hove Albion wrote:He had a release clause for £1.1m in January and we activated it and he came down and everything was going to be signed and he refused and Bournemouth extended his contract with a hefty wage rise which we couldn't match. Now his release clause is now £3m. If you buy him then you're looking at paying him £15 - £20k a week plus signing on fee, agent money so you'll be looking at a total outlay of £7m on the length of his contract.

If a partnership of him and Guerra helps to get us back up then it'll be worth it

Hi Kev.

The post above wouldn't allow me to edit and that was after about 2 minutes, anyway, don't let those 22 goals fool you as think only 14 come from open play and the rest were penalties.

Alright mate. Didn't know that in fairness. I've seen him on tele a few times and he looked good, just like Campbell but stronger.

I've seen him on TV live against us on sky and he was shocking, I know players have bad games and judging a player on two performances isn't the done thing but I'm glad he didn't sign for us, he seems to come across as a mercenary. But clubs do have to gamble and glad it wasn't us. He doesn't seem to work for the team and expects the team to work for him which is the wrong attitude as the team should work for each other. Just my opinion.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Super Kev wrote:
Super Kev wrote:
Brighton & hove Albion wrote:He had a release clause for £1.1m in January and we activated it and he came down and everything was going to be signed and he refused and Bournemouth extended his contract with a hefty wage rise which we couldn't match. Now his release clause is now £3m. If you buy him then you're looking at paying him £15 - £20k a week plus signing on fee, agent money so you'll be looking at a total outlay of £7m on the length of his contract.

If a partnership of him and Guerra helps to get us back up then it'll be worth it

Hi Kev.

The post above wouldn't allow me to edit and that was after about 2 minutes, anyway, don't let those 22 goals fool you as think only 14 come from open play and the rest were penalties.

Alright mate. Didn't know that in fairness. I've seen him on tele a few times and he looked good, just like Campbell but stronger.

I've seen him on TV live against us on sky and he was shocking, I know players have bad games and judging a player on two performances isn't the done thing but I'm glad he didn't sign for us, he seems to come across as a mercenary. But clubs do have to gamble and glad it wasn't us. He doesn't seem to work for the team and expects the team to work for him which is the wrong attitude as the team should work for each other. Just my opinion.

That is fair enough. I saw him earlier in the season against Blackburn where he scored and looked really energetic etc. Maybe a bit of a hot/cold player.

Mon May 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Who now is assessing players for us ?

Good we are building now within a day of season ending - get in early :thumbup:

Mon May 12, 2014 2:57 pm

Super Kev wrote:
Stan_B wrote:A good Championship player but not worth £3m. Don't think he could do the business in the Premiership. We need to be setting our sights higher.

I think us getting a player who has scored 15 La Liga goals this season is more than high enough for a C'ship club. A Prem team would be happy with that mun. Grabban will probably partner Guerra if Campbell goes.

I like the look of Grabban he's done well for Bournemouth this year but it will be interesting to see who stays out of our striking options.

I'd like to see Joe Mason given the chance now, it would be a huge shame if we don't make the most of his potential because he has all the attributes to be a cracking forward.

Maynard has been really unlucky with his injuries, the buzz surrounding his signing was huge and I'm confident if he can get himself back to tip top shape then he will score a fair few goals in the championship, he's proven that down the years ina shit Brizzle City team.

By the sounds of things the Guerra signing is basically a done deal, don't know too much about him but has a decent strike rate in a top league so sounds promising. Any idea what sort of striker he is ? Poacher, link up man etc ?

I really hope Campbell stays, he's been one of the shining lights for the season, his quality hasn't quite been there on occasions but I'm sure he can do damage again in the championship. His hunger and work rate is also massive to have in the squad.

Berget was signed by Ole, so he obviously knows or feels he has qualities that can benefit us, we haven't got to see them yet but maybe he will get more of a chance next year.

Jones "could" do the business in the championship but I empathise the "could" because if he threw himself about and looked interested then he is a unit but unfortunately I dont think he has the appetite for it. With his wages and attitude I think if we should cut our losses with him.

Also young Rhys Healey, I was pleased to see him come on yesterday, I think he will be part of the pre-season group and hopefully he impresses and keeps on improving.

Options, options, options. :bluescarf:

Mon May 12, 2014 3:02 pm

GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:
I like the look of Grabban he's done well for Bournemouth this year but it will be interesting to see who stays out of our striking options.

I'd like to see Joe Mason given the chance now, it would be a huge shame if we don't make the most of his potential because he has all the attributes to be a cracking forward.

Maynard has been really unlucky with his injuries, the buzz surrounding his signing was huge and I'm confident if he can get himself back to tip top shape then he will score a fair few goals in the championship, he's proven that down the years ina shit Brizzle City team.

By the sounds of things the Guerra signing is basically a done deal, don't know too much about him but has a decent strike rate in a top league so sounds promising. Any idea what sort of striker he is ? Poacher, link up man etc ?

I really hope Campbell stays, he's been one of the shining lights for the season, his quality hasn't quite been there on occasions but I'm sure he can do damage again in the championship. His hunger and work rate is also massive to have in the squad.

Berget was signed by Ole, so he obviously knows or feels he has qualities that can benefit us, we haven't got to see them yet but maybe he will get more of a chance next year.

Jones "could" do the business in the championship but I empathise the "could" because if he threw himself about and looked interested then he is a unit but unfortunately I dont think he has the appetite for it. With his wages and attitude I think if we should cut our losses with him.

Also young Rhys Healey, I was pleased to see him come on yesterday, I think he will be part of the pre-season group and hopefully he impresses and keeps on improving.

Fair assessment that mate. From what I've seen Guerra is like Campbell - only with more in his locker. A better finisher, better hold up play. Not too tall (5'11 I believe), and a few skills too.

Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Great signing!

Mon May 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Super Kev wrote:
GotMeSingingTheBlues wrote:

Fair assessment that mate. From what I've seen Guerra is like Campbell - only with more in his locker. A better finisher, better hold up play. Not too tall (5'11 I believe), and a few skills too.

Sounds the business mate, everyone loves a trier but to have the quality aswell is obviously key. :thumbright:

Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Here he is on you tube, he looks pretty fast on his feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmWAyGnT3c4

Appearances 44 (2)
Goals 22
Assists 5

Mon May 12, 2014 7:13 pm

STRENGTHS & WEAKNESSES
Holding on to the ball - Very Strong
Offside awareness - Weak
Passing - Very Strong
Defensive contribution - Weak
Through balls - Strong
Finishing - Strong

STYLES
Likes to play long balls - Very Often (this could work well with the hoofmeister Turner)
Does not dive into tackles - Often

Mon May 12, 2014 7:35 pm

Cardiffcitymad wrote:Here he is on you tube, he looks pretty fast on his feet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmWAyGnT3c4

Appearances 44 (2)
Goals 22
Assists 5

Don't believe YouTube it tricked me into thinking Velikonja and cornelious were good players

Mon May 12, 2014 7:43 pm

fair comment :thumbright:

Mon May 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Bluebina wrote:

Rhodes not sure, but probably a better option, Deeney is a good aggressive Striker would love him here.....,..

Jordan Rhodes costed 8mill when Blackburn bought him. He has 51 goals in 89 matches for them so i doubt his value has gone below the 8mill they paid for him.

Troy Deeney is a target for Aston Villa i saw. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9269261/transfer-news-aston-villa-are-keeping-tabs-on-watford-striker-troy-deeney

Watford would be loath to lose their star striker, but they are aware they could face a fight to keep hold of him if any of his Premier League suitors firm up their interest in Deeney with a bid in excess of £8million.

Proven goalscorers in the Championship will cost so if we get Grabban for 3mill id say that is a hell of a bargain.

Mon May 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:

The Cardiff boy from Scotland? :?

didn't mean it literal, tw@

Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 pm

:thumbup:

Mon May 12, 2014 10:19 pm

Coco wrote:

:thumbup:

Agree :thumbup: ( if we can't get Jordan Rhodes ) ;) :oops:

Mon May 12, 2014 11:05 pm

RFMH wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:

Rhodes bought for 8, why would Blackburn sell for any less? Deeney off to Palace apparently

5 years deal for Rhodes (2017) :shock: that boy must be a but miffed they haven't reached the play offs yet.

If ole wants him fair enough I'll back him, but £3mil is a lot of someone who's done ok - exceptional.

Le Fondre or Ross would be cheaper and arguably more proven.

Can't imagine McCormack shifting to another Championship side after the Premier League interest in January.

Tue May 13, 2014 7:39 am

Jollffe wrote:
RFMH wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:

Rhodes bought for 8, why would Blackburn sell for any less? Deeney off to Palace apparently

5 years deal for Rhodes (2017) :shock: that boy must be a but miffed they haven't reached the play offs yet.

If ole wants him fair enough I'll back him, but £3mil is a lot of someone who's done ok - exceptional.

Le Fondre or Ross would be cheaper and arguably more proven.

Can't imagine McCormack shifting to another Championship side after the Premier League interest in January.

premier league interest was only us though wasnt it?

Tue May 13, 2014 9:19 am

I hope we keep hold of fraizer. He didn't score many in the premiership however when he joined us in the championship his record was 12 games 7 goals.