Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MONK : I DON'T CARE IF CARDIFF GO DOWN

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:26 pm

Thursday April 24th 2014

Walesonline

Swansea City boss Garry Monk: I don't care if Cardiff City drop out of Premier League

Swansea City head coach Garry Monk admits he doesn't care if Welsh rivals Cardiff drop out of the Premier League.

The Bluebirds face a do-or-die mission at bottom club Sunderland on Sunday with the losers likely to be playing Championship football next season but, with Swansea still in need of the victory which will preserve their own top-flight status, Monk insists "he doesn't think about Cardiff in any aspect."

Swansea fans will have their own thoughts on whether they want to see Cardiff stay up, some content to see their most bitter rivals leave the elite after only one season and others happy to see them survive for the good of Welsh football and the prospect of derby rivalries being renewed next term.

But Monk insisted: "It's not really my concern what Cardiff do. I don't think about Cardiff in any aspect. I just worry about Swansea.

"I know people will talk about it - Welsh football and that it's important to this country, especially in South Wales where it's such a big thing.

"Some of our fans will want them to stay up, some won't. That's the way it is.

"But, for me, I don't care about Cardiff. That's not my concern. All I care is about Swansea."

Monk's men took a massive step towards safety last weekend when Wilfried Bony's double gave them a precious 2-1 win at Newcastle.

They welcome fellow strugglers Aston Villa tomorrow in the knowledge that another victory and defeats for Norwich and Sunderland would book their place in the top flight for a fourth successive season.

Southampton at home and a trip to Sunderland complete Swansea's programme, and it is possible that Cardiff might need a favour from the Swans on the final day of the season at the Stadium of Light.

"I'll play myself," laughed Monk when it was suggested that some Swansea fans would want him to play a weakened side that day if Cardiff's future was on the line.

"No, we're professionals. Like I said, I don't worry about what Cardiff are doing.

"I'm just concerned about us and we've got three winnable games we'll be trying to win."

And Monk, of course, has his own selfish reasons for wanting to finish the campaign on a high with the club yet to decide who will be in charge next season.

Monk succeeded the sacked Michael Laudrup at the start of February and, while results have been mixed at best with the Newcastle win only the third under the interim coach's command, the 35-year-old has impressed with the way he has approached the job.

But Monk expects talks about next season to commence with chairman Huw Jenkins as soon as the club secures its top-flight status.

"If we can get the right result on Saturday we will hopefully speak to him the following week and decide it. There is no planned chat," he said.

"I speak to him [Jenkins] on a daily basis but it is about other stuff and I am not pushing him.

"My job is not done, the job is to get us safe and then I think I can go to the chairman and ask to speak to him. I think that is best for the club, for me and everyone else.

"Of course I would be stupid to say I did not want the job as it is something I have really enjoyed.

" have learnt a lot along the way and picked up things I would do if I got the job, but until then you have to wait and see.

"We want to get it done as soon as possible, get us safe and then we can sort it out."

Re: MONK : I DON'T CARE IF CARDIFF GO DOWN

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:30 pm

He's a classless tool like many of their fans that post here. Rogers always showed a respect for our club as did Martinez and laudrup, but monk is from that horrible breed with Tate, trundle etc...

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 pm

dorsetblue wrote:He's a classless tool like many of their fans that post here. Rogers always showed a respect for our club as did Martinez and laudrup, but monk is from that horrible breed with Tate, trundle etc...

Yes. I expect Swansea managers to bow down in awe of Cardiff accepting their tinpot little club isn't worth its place in the League and ddamning their bad luck they will never be good enough for the Cardiff job.

Fully agreed mate :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Oh well

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:45 pm

Don't see a lot wrong with what he said to be honest. Nice to see a manager not having a love in with their rivals

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:47 pm

What do you expect him to say? Monk obviously wants us to go down, as every other Swansea fan does. He's not stupid enough to say that openly, but neither can he say that he wants us to stay up. They despise us. That's football! Don't get worked up about it.

We're Cardiff City :bluescarf:

Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 pm

I bet if they asked every other manager if they care that any other club was going down they would say "I don't care" priority for Monk is Swans to stay up which is somewhat achieved.

Classes? Some on here won't be happy until the players and the managers train together ffs

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:What do you expect him to say? Monk obviously wants us to go down, as every other Swansea fan does. He's not stupid enough to say that openly, but neither can he say that he wants us to stay up. They despise us. That's football! Don't get worked up about it.

I dont think every Swans fan wants you to go down at all.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Not slating Carl but what a s**t and pointless article that is.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:What do you expect him to say? Monk obviously wants us to go down, as every other Swansea fan does. He's not stupid enough to say that openly, but neither can he say that he wants us to stay up. They despise us. That's football! Don't get worked up about it.

Alright then, not all of them, but quite a few of them!

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:58 am

Not entirely sure what Monk has said wrong? If he had said "Yeah, f**k them, hope they go down!" then I would see the point, but all he says is that he only cares about the Swans.

Imagine a journalist asking Solskjaer what he thinks about the Swans v Villa this weekend and you would probably get the same reaction, a puzzled stare and a "why would I care?"

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:10 am

scotsjack wrote:Not entirely sure what Monk has said wrong? If he had said "Yeah, f**k them, hope they go down!" then I would see the point, but all he says is that he only cares about the Swans.

Imagine a journalist asking Solskjaer what he thinks about the Swans v Villa this weekend and you would probably get the same reaction, a puzzled stare and a "why would I care?"

From my view it's just a pointless article. Ain't saying Monk done anything wrong just how that is called a article.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:14 am

DandoCCFC wrote:
scotsjack wrote:Not entirely sure what Monk has said wrong? If he had said "Yeah, f**k them, hope they go down!" then I would see the point, but all he says is that he only cares about the Swans.

From my view it's just a pointless article. Ain't saying Monk done anything wrong just how that is called a article.

Yep, there were probably some serious journalists there looking for a bit of coverage from the upcoming match and some half pissed hack from Wales Online pulled that gem of a question... Agreed, pointless!

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:35 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:

80% from the ones I know most would be glad.....

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:57 am

Id be surprised if it were that high. Maybe though.

There is definitely a healthy % that dont want to see you go down though.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:58 am

I used to want Swansea to not only get relegated but go out of existence. But eventually I turned 12 and realised that Cardiff v Swansea derbies are good for us all. Rivalry is great. Some you win some you lose but overall I would rather be in the same league as Swansea competing for bragging rights than be in different divisions.

If the boot was on the other foot of course we'd probably all laugh at Swansea being relegated but after five minutes of banter we'd realise that it would rob us of two amazing derbies.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:59 am

Yeah I don't see the issue in what he has said - seems like he answered the question fairly, and despite maybe personal feelings he truely might have gave a professional response.

Let him worry about his team and us worry about ours :thumbup:

... For the time being :twisted: hehe ;)

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:01 am

Not interested in what Monk has to say. He is irrelevant.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:

I think you're right... :thumbup:

And in a similar vein, not every Cardiff fan wants us to stay up, too (such has been our crazy season) :oops:

Monk certainly should "concentrate only on his own team", but for him to say he "doesn't think" about Cardiff City FC is not the whole truth, is it? Or did we all imagine his disparaging comments when we got promoted last season, as well as pre-match in seasons gone by? :?

Still, he won't be Swansea manager next season, so he will be an "irrelevance" soon, too! :lol: :wave:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:39 am

The main thing is just to finish above each other, most would enjoy a derby in what's a pretty dull season for both. I bet beating us 3 nil was a highlight for many jacks like us winning the first ever top flight encounter was. A top flight derby is a good thing. Can't quite see it next season though, thanks vince :thumbup:
In saying that it might be a tough choice for huw to throw that game, what with a few million per finishing place on offer he could lose a mill or 2 by losing.....

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:45 am

There's absolutely nothing wrong with what the bloke says. IMO if we go down its our fault and our fault alone, even if the gypos throw the last game . Tbh I would want them to go down if the roles were reversed and I'd be perfectly happy if we threw our last game to send them down. :bluescarf:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 am

what a waste of typing, cannot see anything in that as any manager would say the same, in fact, I believe Ole has already said much the same about some other club, which is how it should be.

poor lazy jurno. Again.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:31 am

No .............fair enough............and i wont lose any sleep when he gets the boot in the summer. :thumbup:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:42 am

Gary Monk is only saying what some on here and in the pubs have said all season, so what's the problem?

The extreme fascination with rebranding and blue has blinkered many as to what actually being in the Premiership means, because I think we all know when we go down this season, we're fecked and we won't be back for a long while. :old:

Basically blue has gone, the premiership is nearly gone, our support has gone at home and to be honest, unless Tan goes and we revert to 'old school', I can't see anything getting any better.

Mind you the summer should be interesting with the squad having wholsesale changes!! :D

Merry Xmas.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:08 am

Yet another Swansea City thread. It really does come across as Cardiff fans are Jealous of Swansea but of course none will admit it.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:12 am

Why would anybody expect him to care?

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:23 am

I dont care that he doesnt care if we go down.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:40 am

I don't care about Monk

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:19 am

This is a non story - he is either damned or praised.
It is a stupid question to ask, and a stupid answer.
He has given an honest answer - so what?

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:34 am

Why should he care, same as why should we care about Monk and his team.