Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Chelsea set to field weakened team.. '

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Already looks like they got one eye of the CL cup. Fingers crossed it works out for us!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27140534

Chelsea are not expected to face punishment from the Premier League if manager Jose Mourinho decides to field a weakened team at Liverpool on Sunday.
League regulations have been relaxed since Blackpool were fined in 2011.

Action is only likely if they select several under-21 players not in their 25-man squad for Premier League games.

Mourinho has hinted he will prioritise Wednesday's Champions League semi-final second leg with Atletico Madrid, which is goalless after Tuesday's away leg.

Re: Chelsea set to field weakened team..

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 pm

champions league takes priority over any competition for me

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Kenfig Blue wrote:champions league takes priority over any competition for me

Hmmm, I disagree. I feel being the best club domestically comes first. How can you claim to be Europes best if your not even the countries best.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:04 pm

A block wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:champions league takes priority over any competition for me

Hmmm, I disagree. I feel being the best club domestically comes first. How can you claim to be Europes best if your not even the countries best.

I agree with that but Chelsea, even if they beat Liverpool this weekend are still unlikely to go on and win it. They have a much better chance of beating Athletico at home.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:45 pm

They only problem I find with this is that the Premier League are allowing them to field a weakened team despite previously punishing other teams for the same thing when they were in a cup competition.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

CjBluebird17 wrote:They only problem I find with this is that the Premier League are allowing them to field a weakened team despite previously punishing other teams for the same thing when they were in a cup competition.

They changed the law in 2010. As long as you pick players in your 25 man squad then you are okay, although under 21s don't have to be named but you can only play a few un-named players per squad.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
CjBluebird17 wrote:They only problem I find with this is that the Premier League are allowing them to field a weakened team despite previously punishing other teams for the same thing when they were in a cup competition.

They changed the law in 2010. As long as you pick players in your 25 man squad then you are okay, although under 21s don't have to be named but you can only play a few un-named players per squad.

Ah didn't realise that fair enough. BBC also just reported Ramires is banned till the end of the season so more good news, here's hoping that they get to the final

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 pm

That punishment for Holloway was pathetic anyway.

How can they decide what a weakens team is as long as they are in the 25 man squad or are youngster at the club then the manger should be able to pick who he wants.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:28 pm

Anybody know how Schwarzer's and more importantly Cech's injuries are like? They only have Hilario and Blackman as back up.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:35 pm

Whoever mourhino picks he will expect them to win the game the man is relentless. Obviously if they can't pick or won't pick their first choice eleven it looks better for us but i still wouldn't fancy needing a win against his second eleven to stay up

Re: ' Chelsea set to field weakened team.. '

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:39 pm

The FA should take note of what other leagues do. In Spain if a team has a European game on a Tuesday, they'll play their league match on the Friday before, ensuring they have plenty of rest. Stops teams like Chelsea pretty much throwing matches in the league

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 pm

CantonJack wrote:The FA should take note of what other leagues do. In Spain if a team has a European game on a Tuesday, they'll play their league match on the Friday before, ensuring they have plenty of rest. Stops teams like Chelsea pretty much throwing matches in the league

I think mourhino alluded to this in his interview the other day. A good idea if the league's teams representing them do well it looks good for the league as well.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:46 pm

May work out well for Norwich too.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm not saying it's right if I were a man city fan I'd be fuming if he does it on the weekend but against struggling teams the top teams always rotate a few so perhaps it's not deemed as bad. Still won't get excited yet.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:53 pm

He is not doing anything wrong, as it is with in the rules

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:58 am

we are all hoping they qualify and put out weakend team against us,although if arsenal claim 4th spot before final game then they too would rest players ahead of cup final.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:09 am

do people really think he will actually pick a weekend side???

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 am

AlwaysBBlue wrote:do people really think he will actually pick a weekend side???

yeah. Though they have a few players, like Matic, Salah and also Lampard and Mikel who cant play the second leg, so its not like its going to be a youth side or anything.

They are already without Cech, Terry, Ramires and hazard anyway.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:14 am

paulh_85 wrote:
AlwaysBBlue wrote:do people really think he will actually pick a weekend side???

yeah. Though they have a few players, like Matic, Salah and also Lampard and Mikel who cant play the second leg, so its not like its going to be a youth side or anything.

i wouldn't be surprised if he made very few changed between this weekend and the athletico game...stinks of mind games tbh

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 am

What Jose says and does are two completely different things.....

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:33 am

AlwaysBBlue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

i wouldn't be surprised if he made very few changed between this weekend and the athletico game...stinks of mind games tbh

hmmm i dont see the point personally. Should make no difference to how liverpool approach the game, if they take their eye off the ball at this stage they dont deserve the league.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 am

Probably mind games again by Jose.

Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:49 pm

Mourinho not travelled :shock:

Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 pm

PartyWithOle wrote:Mourinho not travelled :shock:

Really?

Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Super Kev wrote:
PartyWithOle wrote:Mourinho not travelled :shock:

Really?

Traveled separately as he didn't want to pass his illness on to his players.