Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bellamy or Zaha could replace Kim v Sunderland

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 am

WalesOnline
24/04/14

As the Bluebirds prepare for their do-or-die clash at the Stadium of Light, Ole 'the tinkerman' is planning one final reshuffle in the Cardiff City attack

Cardiff City boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is ready to turn to the experience of Craig Bellamy or the match-winning magic of Wilfried Zaha for the Bluebirds’ Premier League crunch at Sunderland this weekend.

The return to the starting X1 of one of that star duo - probably at the expense of Kim Bo-Kyung - may be the only change Solskjaer makes for a game his Bluebirds dare not lose.

Solskjaer knows he has to get his team selection spot on for the High Noon clash which is pivotal to City’s hopes of avoiding relegation back down to the Championship.

Previously criticised for his tinkering, Solskjaer has made it clear he will stick with a tried and trusted group of players during City’s Premier League run-in and named an unchanged team for the 1-1 draw against Stoke.

However, he is set to make a change with Bellamy or possibly Zaha asked to provide extra punch as City seek goals.

Zaha would be a direct like for like swap on the wing for Kimbo. Bellamy could also play there, or in a more central role, with Jordon Mutch pushed wider if necessary.

That change of emphasis on the wing looks certain to be City’s only change for what is being dubbed a ‘cup final’, given the importance of the occasion and what is at stake.

Solskjaer will leave a decision on Bellamy until the last moment, because the Bluebirds’ talisman has not started since West Brom away last month

If he comes through training today without any problems and his energy levels show he has recovered fully from problems which have kept him out recently, then Bellamy’s experience and extra know-how will probably get him the nod.

If Solskjaer is uneasy about Bellamy’s fitness, Zaha’s pace and trickery make him a viable alternative.

Sunderland’s newly-crowned player of the year, goalkeeper Vito Mannone, has thrown down the gauntlet to Solskjaer’s Cardiff, saying: “We can make it ... and it would be something unbelievable to be a Premier League goalkeeper again next season.

“We deserve to avoid going down, even if we have made some mistakes. There are four games to go, it’s in our hands again and we need to show it again against the small clubs.”

Sunderland are one point behind Cardiff with a game in hand and follow Sunday’s clash by playing Manchester United (away), West Brom (home) and Swansea (home).

The other teams firmly in the relegation mix play before Cardiff’s own game at the weekend.

Fulham are at home to Hull, West Brom host West Ham, while Norwich travel to Old Trafford to take on Ryan Giggs’ Manchester United.

While Solskjaer and his players plan for their crucial trip to Sunderland, City chairman Mehmet Dalman is awaiting word from the Premier League about the Crystal Palace ‘spygate’ row.

It is thought a Premier League committee have been talking to Palace officials this week, while Cardiff expect a call within the next few days.

Re: Bellamy or Zaha could replace Kim v Sunderland

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 am

Bellers!

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 am

Kim is a weak link. Bellamy IMO should start with Zaha coming on 2nd half.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 am

Danny Says wrote:Kim is a weak link. Bellamy IMO should start with Zaha coming on 2nd half.

This

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:56 am

Danny Says wrote:Kim is a weak link. Bellamy IMO should start with Zaha coming on 2nd half.

Mos def

Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 pm

I don't see the problem with Kim. He's definitely a skillful player who can pull off a pass, just looks shot of confidence, which is probably why he doesn't shoot as often as he should.

However if he is dropped I'd much rather see Bellers come in, I hate watching Zaha.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:40 pm

CantonJack wrote:I don't see the problem with Kim. He's definitely a skillful player who can pull off a pass, just looks shot of confidence, which is probably why he doesn't shoot as often as he should.

However if he is dropped I'd much rather see Bellers come in, I hate watching Zaha.

kim is a touch too lightweight as well IMO. a decent pre season in the gym and he'll be a good all-round player even if we do stay up

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:45 pm

AlwaysBBlue wrote:
CantonJack wrote:I don't see the problem with Kim. He's definitely a skillful player who can pull off a pass, just looks shot of confidence, which is probably why he doesn't shoot as often as he should.

kim is a touch too lightweight as well IMO. a decent pre season in the gym and he'll be a good all-round player even if we do stay up

if thats the case why hasnt it happened yet?

he was too light weight 8 months ago, well 20 months ago really, why hasnt he or someone in the coaching staff done something to stop it>?

Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:48 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
AlwaysBBlue wrote:

if thats the case why hasnt it happened yet?

he was too light weight 8 months ago, well 20 months ago really, why hasnt he or someone in the coaching staff done something to stop it>?

well thats the big question...new coaching staff this time around though, hopefully it's been identified

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:11 pm

People always say Kim is too lightweight. But to be fair Daehli looks even more lightweight physically, he isn't properly developed yet and it doesn't seem to hinder him. He has excellent balance and close control which allows him to skip past bigger defenders. Someone like Silva can completely boss a game even though he is the most "lightweight" player on the pitch. If you have the skills and the right mentality i don't think size is such a big problem. I think its a mentality thing with Kim. He needs to believe in himself more he has better skills than most players on the team.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:50 pm

AlwaysBBlue wrote:

Get him down nandos on the chicken wraps and gym! Toughen him up a bit...

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 pm

Shocked how much Kim been playing under ole really, not good enough for prem

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:47 pm

Not likely as Bellers jetted off to the States after a bust up with Ole before last weekend

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Bellamy was woeful v WBA, incredibly woeful. Bench will be fine for him.

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Cardiff hopeful Craig Bellamy will be fit to face Sunderland

OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER hopes to have Craig Bellamy fit for Cardiff's make-or-break clash at Sunderland.

Bellamy, 34, has not started in almost a month after struggling with a virus. But Solskjaer said: "Craig is hugely important for us with everything he does on and off the pitch.

"He has been very low on energy after the virus but we hope he has fully recovered and can be part of things again. We need his experience."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Sunderland

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:35 am

Bellamy didn't seem to look too concerned with his virus last Friday before the a Stoke game when he was having his spray tan in St David's Spa.....

Can't wait til we're rid of him - talks about his hometown club but he's more concerned with his next sick note!

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:44 am

We are extremely light in that position. Kim for .me is poor, bellers legs have gone and zaha only got 30 mins in him.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:11 am

LonCar wrote:People always say Kim is too lightweight. But to be fair Daehli looks even more lightweight physically, he isn't properly developed yet and it doesn't seem to hinder him. He has excellent balance and close control which allows him to skip past bigger defenders. Someone like Silva can completely boss a game even though he is the most "lightweight" player on the pitch. If you have the skills and the right mentality i don't think size is such a big problem. I think its a mentality thing with Kim. He needs to believe in himself more he has better skills than most players on the team.

The difference between Kim and Daehli is that Daehli is more dangerous going forward and makes better decisions, therefore loses the ball less and when he does it is usually in the final third. Kim on the other hand, who is a player I like, tends to be a little lightweight on his defensive duties... which of course can be dangerous for us.

Both need to spend the Summer in the gym and I see Kim as more of a Whittingham type player who sits further back than Daehli. BOth will be critical next season in the Championship and a great place for them to develop.

Sunday I would say that Bellamy should replace Kim to add some passion, workrate and experience. Zaha, who is hopefully slowly starting to prove critics wrong, can come on second half and hopefully take advantage of tired legs.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:13 am

simpso wrote:Bellamy didn't seem to look too concerned with his virus last Friday before the a Stoke game when he was having his spray tan in St David's Spa.....

Can't wait til we're rid of him - talks about his hometown club but he's more concerned with his next sick note!

I didn't realise you couldn't have a spray tan while you are suffering from a virus.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:15 am

Where did I say he shouldn't of had a spray tan?

I merely suggested he was well enough to have a spray tan.....

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 am

AfricanBluebird wrote:
LonCar wrote:People always say Kim is too lightweight. But to be fair Daehli looks even more lightweight physically, he isn't properly developed yet and it doesn't seem to hinder him. He has excellent balance and close control which allows him to skip past bigger defenders. Someone like Silva can completely boss a game even though he is the most "lightweight" player on the pitch. If you have the skills and the right mentality i don't think size is such a big problem. I think its a mentality thing with Kim. He needs to believe in himself more he has better skills than most players on the team.

The difference between Kim and Daehli is that Daehli is more dangerous going forward and makes better decisions, therefore loses the ball less and when he does it is usually in the final third. Kim on the other hand, who is a player I like, tends to be a little lightweight on his defensive duties... which of course can be dangerous for us.

Both need to spend the Summer in the gym and I see Kim as more of a Whittingham type player who sits further back than Daehli. BOth will be critical next season in the Championship and a great place for them to develop.

Sunday I would say that Bellamy should replace Kim to add some passion, workrate and experience. Zaha, who is hopefully slowly starting to prove critics wrong, can come on second half and hopefully take advantage of tired legs.

The difference is that Daehli has superior close control, balance and a quick brain that allows him to outwit much bigger defenders.
Kim falls over easily, and his first touch is not as good as Daehlis and he takes too long on the ball. However i don't think Kim is playing to his full potential he seems to suffer from lack of confidence, poor decision making skills and perhaps body strength. These are all things that can be improved.

But like i said the idea that you necessarily have to bulk up to be a good PL player is a bit outdated. The championship is in many ways more physical. And as Kim was very good in the championship that can't be the only problem. To make something of yourself in PL you have to have great technique and a good football brain. There is a massive gap between PL and Championship in this respect, imo this is why Zaha is struggling despite being a success in the championship. Daehli doesn't need the championship I am i actually of the opinion that it will halt his development to go down a level. He needs to be pushed by playing against the best players week in and out. Kim is a difficult case, he has already shown he can cut it in the championship but can't quite make the step up to PL league. He shows flashes of brilliance ( much like Zaha) but its not consistent. I still think he will come good though, some players just take more time to come into their own. :thumbup:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Can't think of one reason why Kim is in the team does nothing at all