Any poker players on here?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Any poker players on here?

Postby Roath_Magic_ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am

paulh_85 wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:Had a pretty amazing time though and some moments i wont forget. Playing poker on a private beach in Ibiza with Michael Grecco surrounded by Maxim models watching the world cup final was a particularly random one :lol:

having found out the other day that you are roughly my age (had you down as older!) your life makes me somewhat depressed about my own :laughing5:

Meh, life is what you make it. The key is to think a little bit differently. Even though it doesnt tend to go down to well on here :laughing6:
Roathy - the football forum philanthropist...

Total amount of bets won for Cancer Research UK so far:- £5
Total amount of bets lost - £0

***85harj is Mario be warned***
Roath_Magic_

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby BlueKush » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:An example of pot odds...

You have a 9 and a 6 in your hand.

The flop comes down a 7, 8 and 2. (You need a 10 or 5 to complete your straight)

There is 1000 in the pot already and it is your turn to call 50.

So your decision.......

You know you need a 10 or a 5, so you know there are 8 cards in the deck that matches those requirements ot of 52. You have 2 in your hand that you know arent 10's or 5's and there is 3 on the table you also know arent 10's or 5's. so the thought process is 8 cards can help me out of 47 which is about a 6-1 shot (47/8) yet you are getting 20-1 odds as you are being asked to bet 50 into 1000 pot.

Now - if you had absolutely nothing and wanted to bluff then the correct bet would be to make someone chasing the straight fold due to them not getting good odds. So your bet needs to be giving them bad value (anything lower than 6/1). So a bet of this kind for a 1000 pot would be 250-300 which is only giving him 4 or 5 to 1 on his 6-1 shot. (You must ignore the amount of cards that the other players have in this calculation as we dont know what they are).

The good players would fold in that situation, which is a pain really if you are playing chumps. Id much rather play a good player online than a rubbish one as its hard to manipulate someone who doesnt know what they are doung themselves.

Hoe that makes sense.

That does make sense - but an awful lot to actually think about!!! lol. Not sure if my maths is good enough to think through all that in the space of a round!
BlueKush

Postby splottbluebird48 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:Had a pretty amazing time though and some moments i wont forget. Playing poker on a private beach in Ibiza with Michael Grecco surrounded by Maxim models watching the world cup final was a particularly random one :lol:

having found out the other day that you are roughly my age (had you down as older!) your life makes me somewhat depressed about my own :laughing5:

Meh, life is what you make it. The key is to think a little bit differently. Even though it doesnt tend to go down to well on here :laughing6:

Oh my hero :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:
splottbluebird48

Postby Roath_Magic_ » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:03 pm

So it seems :D

Roath_Magic_

Postby BlueKush » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:06 am

Playyed my first 'real' online game yesterday with Betfair and by the end of the night was a mighty £8 in profit. Now the table was 0.05 - 0.1 so obviously the stakes are much much lower, but need to start somewhere.

Have been concentrating on table position really, but will try and get my head around pots odds now. Am playing very cautiously & probably being one of these 'rubbish' online players ;)
BlueKush

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:09 am

BlueKush wrote:Playyed my first 'real' online game yesterday with Betfair and by the end of the night was a mighty £8 in profit. Now the table was 0.05 - 0.1 so obviously the stakes are much much lower, but need to start somewhere.

Have been concentrating on table position really, but will try and get my head around pots odds now. Am playing very cautiously & probably being one of these 'rubbish' online players ;)

dont worry about that, 8 quid profit is 8 quid profit!

glad your enjoying it!

Whats the betfair site like? never joined that one
paulh_85

Postby BlueKush » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:14 am

Yea it seems ok mate - only joined that one as I had some cash in my account from my football bets. TBH I wasn't sure what site to go on, I haven't played on any other so hard to compare.

What do you play on? There are so many it seems like a stab in the dark. The annoying thing with Betfair is it is in Euros & not GBP :? I have looked at changing it but can't see how.....
Last edited by BlueKush on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueKush

Postby Roath_Magic_ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:15 am

I did most of my poker on betfair. I found it excellent for single table tournaments with none of the gimmicks and wannabees of the likes of Pokerstars.

Roath_Magic_

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:54 am

BlueKush wrote:Yea it seems ok mate - only joined that one as I had some cash in my account from my football bets. TBH I wasn't sure what site to go on, I haven't played on any other so hard to compare.

What do you play on? There are so many it seems like a stab in the dark. The annoying thing with Betfair is it is in Euros & not GBP :? I have looked at changing it but can't see how.....

i wouldnt worry about the currency too much. I played on PKR and Pokerstars but havent played for years really. might have a look at the betfair one though.
paulh_85

Postby Roath_Magic_ » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:55 am

I smell a forum tournament mat be on the horizon :D

Roath_Magic_

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:03 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:I smell a forum tournament mat be on the horizon :D

id certainly be up for that! :thumbup:
paulh_85

Postby BlueKush » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:27 am

Aslong as I keep improving then I am up for that - I just don't fancy being the wipping boy considering I have only been playing for 72 hours :thumbright:
BlueKush

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:28 am

BlueKush wrote:Aslong as I keep improving then I am up for that - I just don't fancy being the wipping boy considering I have only been playing for 72 hours :thumbright:

if we can get a few of us into it then i imagine it would only be a small stake. With the records of some of the posters in this thread it would be a good place to learn i reckon.
paulh_85

Postby Mario » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:33 am

I loved playing it in Uni. Everyone chip in like a pound and go into a tournament with hundreds of people.

"Trust in the snowmen" (Eights, we had 2, last card was coming up) I said.

Friend: "It is too much of a risk"

Me "Do it, throw everything at it"

Then I click to raise to basically everything we had and he went mental for me doing it.

8 came out. 3 of kind, we win.

Absolute chaos when it turned.
by swansealad69 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 pm :

"And for the record I have commitments in Thailand hence the reason I come so much and no never have or will entertain a ladyboy but should I do so then so be it."
Mario

Postby sloper_road_legend » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:06 am

BlueKush wrote:Thanks guys, i better figure out how to read equity and the probabilities asap then. Only playing online in the free games (zynga etc) but need to start somewhere.

As im new to this is it better i get the hang of texas hold em before moving to something else?

Will join a forum and see whats what aswel. Much appreciated

hi bluekush,
assuming you are focusing on online poker I would say use www.cardschat.com its the best forum for beginners watch videos by gripsed on youtube - you'll become a great player if you invest time to watch all of gripsed videos and advice. hel get you playing solid thinking and moving like a winning reg.

im in my third year as a winning player predominantly a tournament player but ive made around 15,000 dollars in tournament winnings ive played against some the best players in europe online in some the biggest buy in in tournaments.

the most important bit of advice I would give us keep working on your game chatting on forums watching gripsed read a book,
and just get into the habit of thinking, what why how.
what range of cards do they play, why do they raise
how do they play their hands try to observe how the play their hands when they are strong and weak
sloper_road_legend

Postby Mario » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:31 pm

'Gpokr' anyone?.

Easy to set up an account.
by swansealad69 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:34 pm :

"And for the record I have commitments in Thailand hence the reason I come so much and no never have or will entertain a ladyboy but should I do so then so be it."
Mario

Postby BlueKush » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:50 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:
BlueKush wrote:Thanks guys, i better figure out how to read equity and the probabilities asap then. Only playing online in the free games (zynga etc) but need to start somewhere.

As im new to this is it better i get the hang of texas hold em before moving to something else?

Will join a forum and see whats what aswel. Much appreciated

hi bluekush,
assuming you are focusing on online poker I would say use http://www.cardschat.com its the best forum for beginners watch videos by gripsed on youtube - you'll become a great player if you invest time to watch all of gripsed videos and advice. hel get you playing solid thinking and moving like a winning reg.

im in my third year as a winning player predominantly a tournament player but ive made around 15,000 dollars in tournament winnings ive played against some the best players in europe online in some the biggest buy in in tournaments.

the most important bit of advice I would give us keep working on your game chatting on forums watching gripsed read a book,
and just get into the habit of thinking, what why how.
what range of cards do they play, why do they raise
how do they play their hands try to observe how the play their hands when they are strong and weak

Cheers mate, ive been looking for a good forum to have a mosey at. I will defo look at these youtube vids, anyway to make me better.

I dont think i can survive very long without working out pot odds etc, unless im playing complete beginners like myself
BlueKush

Postby BlueKush » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:00 am

So i've been learning odds & outs (gave up on the equity bit at the moment) and think that I am getting the hang of it. Now the problem is actually doing this in a real game, seems like I have so little time to get my head around what I need to do. And Betfair is throwing me as the tables I am playing on are 0.05 - 0.1 so working out the odds have thrown me completely.

Should I concentrate on one more than the other? Or should I practice the odds and outs together? I didn't expect to pick Poker up quickly, but this is pickling my brain!
BlueKush

Postby Roath_Magic_ » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:41 pm

BlueKush wrote:So i've been learning odds & outs (gave up on the equity bit at the moment) and think that I am getting the hang of it. Now the problem is actually doing this in a real game, seems like I have so little time to get my head around what I need to do. And Betfair is throwing me as the tables I am playing on are 0.05 - 0.1 so working out the odds have thrown me completely.

Should I concentrate on one more than the other? Or should I practice the odds and outs together? I didn't expect to pick Poker up quickly, but this is pickling my brain!

Dont ever expect to master it, there is a famous saying "a day to learn and a lifetime to master" - that is poker in a nutshell.

Learn at your own pace and theough your own experiences.

Only issues with playing for such small stakes is people dont play how they normally would, so your learning is curbed a little. I never play poker for free as people arent emotionally defending their chips and will make calls and pplays they wouldnt if they had real money on the line. It becomes a very dumbed down version of the game.

The more you play the quicker you will get at recognising the pot odds and outs in certain situations so its all about experience. The better quality of table the better quality of experience you will gain.... But with better quality tables comes higher buy ins - bit of a catch 22 really.

Roath_Magic_

Postby Svenman87 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:35 am

The interesting thing is once you start to get to a certain level, players again don't seem to care much about the value of their bets and that's where the meta game comes in big time.

But yeah at .05/.10 you don't need to worry about much else other than the basics of poker. Also poker will be about mental toughness; it's difficult to play your best, when even all the correct decisions results in you losing hand after hand.

I once went on a huge run where I was grossly under my EV (Expected Value) to the point where I took a few weeks off of poker to just relax. On the flipside of that I've been on runs where I was grossly above my EV for long stretches of time.

Hot and Cold runs will happen, and it's difficult for most to play regularly when either are happening (People will start playing hands they might not normally play, just because they are up a lot in a short amount of time - or people might not be as aggressive as they normally are because they have been getting trashed at the tables).

Managing emotions is something not a lot of people can do when it comes to money - Poker players must have a high risk tolerance.
Svenman87

Postby BlueKush » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:33 pm

I think i may up the odds and jump on a bigger table, just a bit wary considering im a beginner and dont want to get taken for a ride and lose quite a bit of cash. But like you said i will gain more experience so will take the risk.

Also started looking at MTT but i think it is a bit early. Rrally enjoyong it though, but odds and outs are screwing my brain
BlueKush

Postby Svenman87 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:52 pm

BlueKush wrote:I think i may up the odds and jump on a bigger table, just a bit wary considering im a beginner and dont want to get taken for a ride and lose quite a bit of cash. But like you said i will gain more experience so will take the risk.

Also started looking at MTT but i think it is a bit early. Rrally enjoyong it though, but odds and outs are screwing my brain

Hmmm I would be careful about jumping up to quickly - try to stick to a strict bankroll management. Mine was always have 100 buy ins for whatever level I was playing, you can start a bit lower when at the lower limits, but increase it as you progress through the tables.

MTT's are a totally different beast that I don't know to much about as I never really liked the unknown time commitment that they demand. But even for SNG's the Strategy is very different, depending on the format, blinds, payout, etc. Nothing worse than investing hours playing well to get busted out of a tourney a few places away from the money ;)
Svenman87

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:11 pm

I know nothing about your financial situation, but I would think that upping the tables you play on would be a good idea, you sound like you are thoughtful about your play and that fact should mean you don't go and lose a fortune. even on some of the 1 dollar tables I used to play on. you used to get some horrendous players on there :lol:
paulh_85

Postby sloper_road_legend » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm

BlueKush wrote:I think i may up the odds and jump on a bigger table, just a bit wary considering im a beginner and dont want to get taken for a ride and lose quite a bit of cash. But like you said i will gain more experience so will take the risk.

blue dont over stress regarding the pott odds, there are many good players who choose
to focus more on observing players and players tenancies,

knowing your outs are important to determine when to fold in big pots...
if you multiply all your outs (winning cards) by 4 on the flop and if on the turn you times your outs by 2. so 14 outs x 2 gives you a 28% chance of making your hand.. for example
and its as simple as that

p.s
you will benefit more from learning good solid fundamental strategys.

one more thing poker bankroll management is key to your success, not even the best players in the world can avoid going broke unless they have a bankroll - no less than 20-25 buy to any stake level

so to play 5 dollar games you need around 100.00 ideally some players have deeper bankrolls upto 100 buy ins
sloper_road_legend

Postby smakerzthebluebird » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Svenman87 wrote:

Hmmm I would be careful about jumping up to quickly - try to stick to a strict bankroll management. Mine was always have 100 buy ins for whatever level I was playing, you can start a bit lower when at the lower limits, but increase it as you progress through the tables.

MTT's are a totally different beast that I don't know to much about as I never really liked the unknown time commitment that they demand. But even for SNG's the Strategy is very different, depending on the format, blinds, payout, etc. Nothing worse than investing hours playing well to get busted out of a tourney a few places away from the money ;)

Love MTT's but the amount of times I bust on the bubble and close to money is annoying after hours of gameplay but I've had some big cashouts as well all about patience and knowing you got no time constraints

I also play SNG's which are my main game find it very easy most days to hit top 2 from 6 players again depends on stakes but generally I can make a 500% RTI every day I play at $5/10 per game it's not huge but I'm happy making an extra $40/50 on my day off work lol

Will generally play 3/4 at a time

I don't play cash tables anymore as I seriously suck for some reason I've tried lots of stuff, think it's to do with patience where I can play 4/5 tables at once for hours on end and maybe only make $30/40 a day where as I can do that in 2/3 hours in SNG's

All about what your comfortable with tho end of the day
Founder of the forum whopper thread! Don't talk bollocks or you'll be added to the thread!!
smakerzthebluebird

Postby BlueKush » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:47 am

I think the problem I am having is it is taking me a little time to work out what my outs are & by that time it has already come around to me again. But I suppose that will come with practice and time, the 4 & 2 rule seems very straightforward though.

I am just trying to be sensible and not getting carried away, although I got caught last night a treat when I had A K off suit & went aggressive, someone called my bluff, I went all in & got stung by a pair of 8's!!!! :twisted:

Thanks for all the advice, it has really helped me. Lets hope I stick at it and get somewhere! :bluescarf:
BlueKush

Postby BlueKush » Mon May 12, 2014 1:17 pm

So I am due to play at a live event on the 21st May down the bay (it is a civil service event so nothing to serious) and have been practicing as much as I can.

Last night I decided to enter my 1st ever online tournament, it was the £250 GTD Speed on Sky Poker, with a buy in of £2.20. I just wanted to experience a bit of competition and ended up placing 7th out of 75 players! :)

Suprised myself & won £15.95 so happy days, especially as I had to start somewhere as a complete beginner. Got a bit excited at the end and called an all in with pocket 10s.......mistake really but you live and learn.

Nice one for all the tips etc on here - it has defo helped me :bluescarf:
BlueKush

Postby paulh_85 » Mon May 12, 2014 1:29 pm

BlueKush wrote:So I am due to play at a live event on the 21st May down the bay (it is a civil service event so nothing to serious) and have been practicing as much as I can.

Last night I decided to enter my 1st ever online tournament, it was the £250 GTD Speed on Sky Poker, with a buy in of £2.20. I just wanted to experience a bit of competition and ended up placing 7th out of 75 players! :)

Suprised myself & won £15.95 so happy days, especially as I had to start somewhere as a complete beginner. Got a bit excited at the end and called an all in with pocket 10s.......mistake really but you live and learn.

Nice one for all the tips etc on here - it has defo helped me :bluescarf:

all in with 10s doesnt have to be a mistake just because you lost the hand.

Nice one mate, i would say from the sound of it that you have a much better grasp of the game than you give yourself credit for. Never gamble more than you can afford but i certainly wouldnt be worried about going for it a little bit.
paulh_85

Postby Logie » Mon May 12, 2014 1:39 pm

join the forum on twoplustwo website. Tons of free advice and players there range from having £10 in their bank to hundreds of thousands.

LIke said above, Teaxs Holdem is tough now, check out PLO its a fun game but more swingy, more all ins and pushing small edges
Logie

Postby Brighton & Hove Albion » Mon May 12, 2014 2:12 pm

I did set up a Cardiff City poker night and it's still valid if anyone wishes to play. It's on poker stars. I still have all the details. Anyone wants to play then let me know and I'll post details on here.
Brighton & Hove Albion

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat