Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Could Six Points Be Enough?

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Vital Football
23/04/14

A win at Southampton and then a draw at home against Stoke on Saturday have revived Cardiff's chances of Premier League survival.

In an ideal world we could have done with six points from those two games but four points isn't a bad return and this keeps us in with a shout of avoiding the drop. Victory this weekend at Sunderland, a must win game on Sunday, could be enough to take us out of the bottom three.

If we manage that we leave our fate in our own hands.

The Southampton win restored confidence with David Marshall telling BBC Sport he's confident enough we can get another two wins with these two wins, and the six points we gain, taking us onto 36 points with the goalkeeper thinking that would be enough to keep us up.

'We are more than capable of doing that (36 points) with the last two performances.

'Last week [the 1-0 victory at Southampton] picked us up because we were struggling.

'Picking up points on the road has given us a lot of belief.

'We have got two big games (against Sunderland and Newcastle) and the Chelsea match - the last of the season - is going to be difficult.'

I'm not sure if six points would be enough, but he could be right you know.

Norwich's incredibly tough run in, with them currently 17th and two points ahead of us, gives us a good chance but we've got to beat Sunderland and then their northern rivals Newcastle in our next two away games.

If we can go into the Chelsea game at the Cardiff City Stadium with our destiny in our own hands I think we could pull it off! We'll have an even better chance if Chelsea have made the Champions League Final and winning the Premier League title is out of the question.

As for his own season Marshall was very modest and says he just does what he's meant to do and will continue to do so knowing that he's likely to be very busy in these games we have left and knows that he'll need to make the saves asked of him.

We take it a week, and a game, at a time but what a pivotal this weekend could be.

Re: Could Six Points Be Enough?

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:13 pm

6 points will do it IMO

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm

3pts could be enough but 6pts should do the job :ole: :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:17 pm

After some renewed optimism I think we CAN get 4 points. Will we? Don't think so :|

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:20 pm

possibly 4 points, but would seriously need results to go for us and the chelsea game would be a nailbiter.

i think 6 will do it.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:26 pm

Pontyclun Blue wrote:3pts could be enough but 6pts should do the job :ole: :bluescarf:

3 points will never be enough

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 pm

llandaffbluebird1 wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:3pts could be enough but 6pts should do the job :ole: :bluescarf:

3 points will never be enough

Stranger things happen, but i did say 'could' :thumbup:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Would be unlucky if 6points not enough. I reckon we'll get 4 and have some luck to stay up by the skin of of our teeth

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:46 pm

We need 6 points or we will go down IMO. Sunderland and West Brom both have games in hand.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 pm

Anarch0 wrote:We need 6 points or we will go down IMO. Sunderland and West Brom both have games in hand.

WBA & Sunderland's game in hand is against eachother so a draw would do nicely.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:28 pm

It's a big ask to get 6 points.
Just cannot see it with the lack of cutting edge and fitness in our team. Sunderland have the momentum, and let's be honest the better players - Wickham, Borini & Johnson a cut above any of our players.
The 3 home games lost v West ham, Hull & Palace could be terminal.
As we all know, the 2 points dropped v S'land will come back to haunt us.
if only the ref had stopped play a few seconds earlier at Goodison as well.
Only hope is to be in with a shout on the final day as anything could happen then against a possibly depleted Chelsea team with nothing to play for.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Danny Says wrote:It's a big ask to get 6 points.
Just cannot see it with the lack of cutting edge and fitness in our team. Sunderland have the momentum, and let's be honest the better players - Wickham, Borini & Johnson a cut above any of our players.
Only hope is to be in with a shout on the final day as anything could happen then against a possibly depleted Chelsea team with nothing to play for.

That has made me laugh. I'd have Daehli, Mutch and Noone over them three for a start.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Super Kev wrote:

That has made me laugh. I'd have Daehli, Mutch and Noone over them three for a start.

Spot on Kev

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Super Kev wrote:
Anarch0 wrote:We need 6 points or we will go down IMO. Sunderland and West Brom both have games in hand.

A WBA win would do nicely as we won't catch WBA. The only 3 teams we have any chance finishing above are Sunderland, Fulham and Norwich, unless Crystal Palace get points deducted from our game and the West Ham game where they also knew the West Ham team in advance apparently.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 pm

IMO 3 points will be enough as long as it a win over sunderland.

A draw with sunderland and one win from Newscastle or Chelsea will also do it IMO.

I predict we will finish 17th. With Sunderland Fulham & Norwitch going down.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Pontyclun Blue wrote:
Super Kev wrote:

Spot on Kev

You really think so :roll:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Danny Says wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:
Super Kev wrote:

Spot on Kev

Yes I really do

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Super Kev wrote:
Danny Says wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:
Super Kev wrote:

Spot on Kev

Yes I really do

You sure :?:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Danny Says wrote:
Super Kev wrote:
Danny Says wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:
Super Kev wrote:

Spot on Kev

Yes I really do

You sure :?:

100% :thumbup:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

I think Sunderland do have a really good squad. Wickham, Borini and Johnson are all quality players, don't think Daehli is on their level quite yet. Don't forget John O'Shea and Wes Brown at the back, 2 very good experienced defenders

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:04 pm

CantonJack wrote:I think Sunderland do have a really good squad. Wickham, Borini and Johnson are all quality players, don't think Daehli is on their level quite yet. Don't forget John O'Shea and Wes Brown at the back, 2 very good experienced defenders

They can be experience but it don't make them that good. Conceded a few red cards, and own goals. If we get at them we will do well. :thumbup:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:11 pm

Super Kev wrote:
CantonJack wrote:I think Sunderland do have a really good squad. Wickham, Borini and Johnson are all quality players, don't think Daehli is on their level quite yet. Don't forget John O'Shea and Wes Brown at the back, 2 very good experienced defenders

They can be experience but it don't make them that good. Conceded a few red cards, and own goals. If we get at them we will do well. :thumbup:

After doing the predictor I noticed Sunderland can be relegated next weekend. If we beat them this weekend and they don't win next weekend, depending on other games they could easily be relegated. Can't see Norwich getting another point now so we've got a great chance to get out of it this weekend :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 pm

CantonJack wrote:
Super Kev wrote:

After doing the predictor I noticed Sunderland can be relegated next weekend. If we beat them this weekend and they don't win next weekend, depending on other games they could easily be relegated. Can't see Norwich getting another point now so we've got a great chance to get out of it this weekend :ayatollah:

Didn't know that. I think Norwich may get one point from somewhere, but hopefully we can get 2 wins to cancel that out. :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 pm

It really depends on how Fulham do, that will determine whether or not we need more than 4 points. They have some nice fixtures coming up too. Norwich may surprise United this week.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm

If results all go the right way, we could end up staying up above Fulham on goal difference - that would be absolutely mental.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Two points could be enough.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 pm

Danny Says wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:
Super Kev wrote:

Spot on Kev

Yes I really do :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 pm

No

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:37 pm

Yes

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:34 am

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:
Super Kev wrote:

A WBA win would do nicely as we won't catch WBA. The only 3 teams we have any chance finishing above are Sunderland, Fulham and Norwich, unless Crystal Palace get points deducted from our game and the West Ham game where they also knew the West Ham team in advance apparently.

Exactly. Forget West Brom. Its going to be 3 from Sunderland, Fulham, Norwich and City...

:bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: