Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bristol Rovers

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:03 pm

The Gas are in serious danger of going into the Conference, (or whatever it's called these days). Division five, in reality.

Those of us of a certain age will still regard the Bristol clubs as our main rivals. Time has moved on, I know, and the youff are obsessed with the JBs. Whatever!

Must admit, I've got a soft spot for the Gasheads. Really hope that they can avoid the drop. Some of my fondest footballing memories are of going to Eastville to support CCFC. Stapleton Road, and all that.

Best of luck to Bristol Rovers.

Re: Bristol Rovers

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:The Gas are in serious danger of going into the Conference, (or whatever it's called these days). Division five, in reality.

Those of us of a certain age will still regard the Bristol clubs as our main rivals. Time has moved on, I know, and the youff are obsessed with the JBs. Whatever!

Must admit, I've got a soft spot for the Gasheads. Really hope that they can avoid the drop. Some of my fondest footballing memories are of going to Eastville to support CCFC. Stapleton Road, and all that.

If they get relegated they will be one of the biggest league clubs to go out of the league, on their day they could get 20,000 plus crowds.
I honestly hope they don't go down.

I use to love going to Eastville, Cardiff and Rovers go way back.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:The Gas are in serious danger of going into the Conference, (or whatever it's called these days). Division five, in reality.

Remember being on the football special going to Pompey one year when the game was called off. On the way back someone pulled the communication cord at Stapleton road and the train emptied out and we all went to eastville onto rovers end. I think they were playing Hereford at the time.
Hope rovers beat the drop

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 pm

with you on this mate. for me the best derby of the lot.
Eastville now Ikea ffs. Memorial Ground not as good.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:15 pm

His do these allegiances begin?

Always got in with the Rovers fans and hated the Bristol City fans.

Was it just a case if us having a mutual for in the Robins?

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:21 pm

Wayne S wrote:His do these allegiances begin?

Always got in with the Rovers fans and hated the Bristol City fans.

Was it just a case if us having a mutual for in the Robins?

Bristol city fans were the ones who were singing abusive songs about the aberfan disaster at Ashton gate in 1974 which is why older fans hate them more than Swansea.
Rovers never stooped to those levels

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:32 pm

Always had a soft spot for Rovers being a Stapleton, an its been voted as the worst street in the UK

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 pm

been debated about a million times on here in the past but like many of the old uns the brizzle city game was always considered our main rivals . having worked in bristol think the feeling is still mutual !

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:44 pm

MOZZER1 wrote:been debated about a million times on here in the past but like many of the old uns the brizzle city game was always considered our main rivals . having worked in bristol think the feeling is still mutual !

I work over there and the last few years has been bliss with Bristol City fans keeping a low profile. Rovers fans always up for a footy chat, interested in the Prem way of life and give the odd dig re Tan.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Really hope Rovers stay up. The Gas are too big for non league football.

Think it's right to say they've never played in the top flight, which is incredible for a club that size.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:08 pm

it was on the way back from Swindon when we got off the train ran through the factory estate . and tried to get on their end after they rounded us up and put us on the platform we crossed the lines and charged down into their shopping centre allways remember some halfcast city fan throwing stones through the cars windows in a car showroom and some stalls bein hit on a small street market .they had to put a special train on to take us home . fair play to rovers they allways used to come but city some years never brought any

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Got a real soft spot for the Gas. Decent fans hope they stay up :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Got a real soft spot for the Gas. Decent fans hope they stay up :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:24 pm

One of the best away days I've ever had was winning 1 0 at Twerton park we were struggling they were flying. 4 days before they beat us easily In the autoglass and both games had a great atmosphere. Very lively walk back to car as well. A lot of their fans dislike us the same as city. Will arguably be the biggest team to drop down if it happens wouldn't have thought it twenty years ago.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:28 pm

Never played them in my time (I don't think), but I've always hated Bristol City fans more than the Jacks, they just seem to hate us more than those down West. The Jacks have terrible banter too, too many know it all prissy chavs.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:39 pm

CantonJack wrote:Never played them in my time (I don't think), but I've always hated Bristol City fans more than the Jacks, they just seem to hate us more than those down West. The Jacks have terrible banter too, too many know it all prissy chavs.

I think it's probably equal Bristol City always had more fans and seemed up for it more than rovers butthey hated us as well. The thing with the jacks seems to have intensified every year

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:45 pm

I remember us drawing 1-1 there when Danny Hill equalised for us. They had Jason Roberts and Jamie Cureton up front for them at the time, which was lethal at League 1 level. They were top when we played them away but I remember our return game at Ninian Park was the last game of the season and they needed a result to get into the playoffs. We were already relegated but beat them comfortably, we just seemed to relax and enjoy ourselves while the occasion and pressure got to them. They really went for it that game as well with a front 3 of Roberts, Cureton and a young Nathan Ellington, who they thought would play for England in the future back then. I remember our right back Winston Faerber (remember him?) had to fill in at centre back and did a tremendous job that game.

I always thought of Bristol Rovers as a big club with good fans and they have always been a League 1 level club during my time, so it's a shame to see them struggling in League 2 the past few seasons and it would be tragic if a club that size goes down to the Conference.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 am

It all changed for them this season when I think it was their manager John ward went upstairs and darrel Clarke took over who they got from sailsbury city.

They won't go down I think they draw with Wycombe on the weekend and Northampton and Torquay will go down.

I went to the carling cup game and they brought more fans that game than Bristol city did.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48 am

One of the first City games I went to was against Rovers late in the 78/79 season at Ninian Park in the old Division 2, throughout the 80s and 90s I remember us playing them more than the Wurzels and they always came down in big numbers. I remember one night game when Rovers had Nigel Martyn in goal and his error gave us a draw. If you had said to me back in those days that Rovers could well be playing Conference football I'd have thought you were nuts. Then again, who'd gave thought Luton would end up at that level? It's mad what happens in football. Good luck to the Gas heads in their quest to stay up.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Loved going on the Tote end at Eastville and the Stapelton road battles, hope Rovers don't go down, rated them way better than Brizzle City :bluescarf: :old: :bluescarf:

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks to all you Bluebird fans for those comments, living in South Wales I hope you stay up as well. :ayatollah:

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Had a good drink with a few rovers fans in torquay last year.Good bunch hope they stay up.used to take lots of young players from the valleys years ago.
Remember trumpton :laughing6:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:53 am

Dear Cardiff City Supporters

I am writing on behalf of Bristol Rovers FC to thank you all for your very kind messages of support as we face one of the most challenging times in the history of our club. Without doubt, our final two games of the season are massive but I know we will prevail.

I appreciate that you too face massive challenges as you bid to stay in the Premiership.

Like us, you have brilliant supporters. At times like this, they are your 12th man. Stay with it!

May I wish you every success for the remainder of the season and like us, sincerely hope you stay up!

My sincere thanks and best wishes to you all.

Brian Seymour-Smith
Director
Bristol Roves FC

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:00 am

Brian Seymour-Smith wrote:Dear Cardiff City Supporters

I am writing on behalf of Bristol Rovers FC to thank you all for your very kind messages of support as we face one of the most challenging times in the history of our club. Without doubt, our final two games of the season are massive but I know we will prevail.

I appreciate that you too face massive challenges as you bid to stay in the Premiership.

Like us, you have brilliant supporters. At times like this, they are your 12th man. Stay with it!

May I wish you every success for the remainder of the season and like us, sincerely hope you stay up!

My sincere thanks and best wishes to you all.

Brian Seymour-Smith
Director
Bristol Roves FC

Wow, fair play :ayatollah:

good luck to you guys, hope you stay up

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:06 am

"Goodnight Irene" classic football song! Came to CCS a few years ago in the league cup early rounds, fans sang their hearts out, made the Bristol City fans efforts look very poor in comparison.
Good luck to the Gasheads!

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 am

Best of luck to Rovers. There's a book written by Chris Brown called 'Bovver', it's a superb story about following Rovers through the 1970's, in my opinion it's by far the best book ever written by a football fan.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:23 am

Good luck to them. If they can avoid relegation this season, and with their new stadium set to be built, I think they will start rising up the tables Before long, and become atleast a championship team. A club with massive potential. Thier new stadium plans look very impressive. Good luck rovers :ayatollah:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:32 pm

i always remember jeff hemmerman injury, and the great atmosphere that day at eastville..great day out, 14 at the time.

good luck. too big to go down

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:38 pm

Used to love catching the special to Stapleton Road and marching to Eastville :bluescarf:

Got in for free when we played that game in 82-83, had just got to the ground after walking from Station when the big doors burst open and in we went !! :lol:

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:48 pm

Great club and fans, have suffered with poor managers and players the past 5 years, their quest for a new stadium has taken their eye off the ball.
always remember the Tony Evans 4 goals at Eastville on a Tuesday night league cup tie, the police horses came on to the open terrace behind the goal charging at the city fans. Who can remember soccer Sunday with Rodger malone and their little and large strike force, Warboys and Co.
Really hope they stay up and move up through the leagues.UTG