Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Worst buys of the season:

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

Wrong team of the year, but at least we get one player in it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... =endScreen

Re: Worst buys of the season:

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 am

I was going to say im amazed Medel isnt in there but then I saw Fellaini and decided it was fair enough :lol:

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:36 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:I was going to say im amazed Medel isnt in there but then I saw Fellaini and decided it was fair enough :lol:

Fool that is all I have to say about that post.

And don't bother getting all your stats out as I won't be replying to you again in this thread. :wave:

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:37 am

You think he should be in there? :shock:

Fellaini was defo a worse buy.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:39 am

How wasn't van Wolfswinkel there I do not know.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm not one to normally critise Malky, but he was responsible for buying the number 3 flop on the list (Cornelius) and when he wasnt good enough to get in the team I remember a quote of his that went something along these lines:

'We didnt have the funds to buy a ready made striker who can score freely in the prem so we settled for someone up and coming (Cornelius) if you want goals straight from the off you've gotta spend the kind of money that Spurs have in bringing in Roberto Soldado'

Ironically Soldado comes in number 4 on that list! Good scouting Malky :oops:

(Thats not an exact quote but it was words to that effect)

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Gavin wrote:I'm not one to normally critise Malky, but he was responsible for buying the number 3 flop on the list (Cornelius) and when he wasnt good enough to get in the team I remember a quote of his that went something along these lines:

'We didnt have the funds to buy a ready made striker who can score freely in the prem so we settled for someone up and coming (Cornelius) if you want goals straight from the off you've gotta spend the kind of money that Spurs have in bringing in Roberto Soldado'

Ironically Soldado comes in number 4 on that list! Good scouting Malky :oops:

(Thats not an exact quote but it was words to that effect)

That was an idiotic signing as I stated at the time and an even more idiotic excuse.

We bought Danny Graham for £3.5m in our maiden season and he did the trick to guide us to a mid table finish.

Trying to run before you can walk is what i said at the time and stand by it, lessons need to be learned. But they rarely are.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Jesus Christ, there's no way Sunderland actually paid money for that altidore

Kin hell

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:32 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:You think he should be in there? :shock:

And why should medel be on this list

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:36 am

Absolutely no chance should Medel be in there. You clearly don't understand his important for us.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:43 am

Cardiff Blues wrote:

£11m for a player who has performed no better than defensive midfielders regularly bought for free or minimal fees.

The stats show he is one of the worst performers in that position out of all the 20 premiership clubs.

His good games you could count on one hand and you will not recoup even half in my opinion.

Not only that but the impact spending so much on him had on the rest of the side by not allowing room to sign much needed attacking players has led to you being in the trouble you are.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:47 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Cardiff Blues wrote:

£11m for a player who has performed no better than defensive midfielders regularly bought for free or minimal fees.

The stats show he is one of the worst performers in that position out of all the 20 premiership clubs.

His good games you could count on one hand and you will not recoup even half in my opinion.

Not only that but the impact spending so much on him had on the rest of the side by not allowing room to sign much needed attacking players has led to you being in the trouble you are.

Once you think of something, you don't half drum it home.

You've said it a thousand times, you were wrong the first time.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:48 am

I was asked a question.

Which part do you mistakenly see as wrong?

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 am

The fact you think you can get players such as Medel for free.

He would start for the majority of teams in the top flight. He will be starting for Chile in the world cup.

Wheel out the Huddlestone comparison if you want, but he was total shit and overweight for spurs last year. Not like he has even been THAT good this year, just he wasn't as expensive as medel so people compare them.

Medel is easily worth what we paid and we will recoup it all if we go down, possibly making a profit depending on the WC. You will no say no we won't, but who knows?. No one.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 am

Cornelius, KTC and Brayford for me. Brayford must be the worst buy because he hasn't played a minute, contributing nothing.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:07 am

Mario wrote:The fact you think you can get players such as Medel for free.

He would start for the majority of teams in the top flight. He will be starting for Chile in the world cup.

Wheel out the Huddlestone comparison if you want, but he was total shit and overweight for spurs last year. Not like he has even been THAT good this year, just he wasn't as expensive as medel so people compare them.

Medel is easily worth what we paid and we will recoup it all if we go down, possibly making a profit depending on the WC. You will no say no we won't, but who knows?. No one.

Britton was free and then 100k when he was re-signed.

He has had a better season than Medel and Britton hasnt had a particularly amazing one.

You are madman if you think he was worth what you paid for him and you will recoup it.

In fact... Want a bet? Name your price :thumbup:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:08 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Cardiff Blues wrote:

I always see you talking about stats. I bet the stats you look at dont tell you about Medels positioning. I also bet they dont tell you how many miss played passes our opponents have played from the pressure Medel puts on them. Have you looked at our stats with and without Medel in our team?

He has been one of the most important players in our squad this season. His ability to close opponents down, break up play and keep possession is invaluable.

Stats only tell a part of the story. If you genuinely believe Medel is one of the worst signings this season then youre idiotic.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:09 am

And Messi cost Barcelona cost nothing. Want a bunch of bellends Swansea were for not buying him.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 am

Mario wrote:And Messi cost Barcelona cost nothing. Want a bunch of bellends Swansea were for not buying him.

how many players of Messi's calibre have been signed as a professional (not a kid) for free?

How many of Medels quality have been signed for free - many many many - almost every season.

Like i said, do you want to place a wager on you recouping the money? I will give you 5-1 odds :thumbup:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 am

I just don't care. It is an irrelevant comparison.

You are boring and I can't believe you spend so much time on here talking about subjects which are open to discussion, but you seem to think yours is somehow completely correct.

You've said Medel was a waste of money, okay, fair enough. Now you are comparing him to britton who was bought f*cking years ago. Give it a rest, no one cares.

Out of all the money wasted in the summer by clubs, Gary Medel doesn't come into it.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 am

Mario wrote:I just don't care. It is an irrelevant comparison.

You are boring and I can't believe you spend so much time on here talking about subjects which are open to discussion, but you seem to think yours is somehow completely correct.

You've said Medel was a waste of money, okay, fair enough. Now you are comparing him to britton who was bought f*cking years ago. Give it a rest, no one cares.

Out of all the money wasted in the summer by clubs, Gary Medel doesn't come into it.

He has had a similar year to Canas who was signed this season for free :thumbup:

Like I said. If you truly believe what you say then i will give you 5-1 on it, fact is - im always right :thumbup:

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 am

As you have seen every game Cardiff have played this season. Or many you have, how sad.

You can f**k right off about canas, that curly haired nothing. I have barely heard him mentioned once this year. Ask anyone around the country they would prefer, Gary Medel or Canas.

Maybe Medel doesn't get many assists or goals, but watch Sunday and you'll see how he basically has to run the midfield on his own.

Swansea have had a shit season, so have cardiff. Stop being so childish with these petty comparisons.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:20 am

A block wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Cardiff Blues wrote:

I always see you talking about stats. I bet the stats you look at dont tell you about Medels positioning. I also bet they dont tell you how many miss played passes our opponents have played from the pressure Medel puts on them. Have you looked at our stats with and without Medel in our team?

He has been one of the most important players in our squad this season. His ability to close opponents down, break up play and keep possession is invaluable.

Stats only tell a part of the story. If you genuinely believe Medel is one of the worst signings this season then youre idiotic.

Medels positioning is woeful, so is his movement.

You are right regarding misplaced passes due to pressure by medel, although the fact he has poor movement and positioning added to the fact you concede at will suggests this isnt the case.

I genuinely think he is one of the worst signings this year. You will still go down and you will barely get half back. You probably lost less on Cornelius.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:22 am

Life goes on.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:23 am

Mario wrote:As you have seen every game Cardiff have played this season. Or many you have, how sad.

You can f**k right off about canas, that curly haired nothing. I have barely heard him mentioned once this year. Ask anyone around the country they would prefer, Gary Medel or Canas.

Maybe Medel doesn't get many assists or goals, but watch Sunday and you'll see how he basically has to run the midfield on his own.

Swansea have had a shit season, so have cardiff. Stop being so childish with these petty comparisons.

Yes indeed I have. Every game in which we dont play at the same time, i guess that comes with the " we are coming for you" nonsense...

If Canas was bought for £11m then you would have heard just as much. People love to big up a big signing, fact is he has barely been better and canas has been shocking.

Medels job isnt to get goals or assists the fact he has neither doesnt come in to it. Hes been poor more times than hes been good and average all the rest.

If he runs the midfield then how come your midfield is so shit?

Again you seem to be ignoring my proposition....

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:24 am

Roathy I know you're like stato when it comes to Cardiff, but as someone who watches all the games you are wrong about Medel, the pressure he has taken of our centre halves this season can not be understated. His job is to break up play and ease the pressure and he has done that very well.

Is he worth his transfer fee? Hard to say, but one thing is for sure we have a small chance of survival this season, if wr do by some miracle survive then yes, his fee is justified.

Look back at the home game V Hull, we had Jelavic charging at our centre halves and we come seriously unstuck, if Medel had played that game his role would have been to intercept those runners as he has done in many games this season. Perhaps we wouldn't have had our arse handed to us if he had been there.

I know my point is slightly mout as we have lost so many games, but the long winded point I am trying to make is, Medel was brought in for a specific job, and 85% on the time he has done that Job well.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 am

f**k off with your bets. Not everyone is as loaded as you.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:27 am

Mario wrote:f**k off with your bets. Not everyone is as loaded as you.

You dont have to be loaded if you will win.

Its funny people never seem as confident when they have to back it up. :D

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:30 am

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Mario wrote:f**k off with your bets. Not everyone is as loaded as you.

You dont have to be loaded if you will win.

Its funny people never seem as confident when they have to back it up. :D

There is no need to bet, I'd rather just win an argument.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 am

Gavin wrote:Roathy I know you're like stato when it comes to Cardiff, but as someone who watches all the games you are wrong about Medel, the pressure he has taken of our centre halves this season can not be understated. His job is to break up play and ease the pressure and he has done that very well.

Is he worth his transfer fee? Hard to say, but one thing is for sure we have a small chance of survival this season, if wr do by some miracle survive then yes, his fee is justified.

Look back at the home game V Hull, we had Jelavic charging at our centre halves and we come seriously unstuck, if Medel had played that game his role would have been to intercept those runners as he has done in many games this season. Perhaps we wouldn't have had our arse handed to us if he had been there.

I know my point is slightly mout as we have lost so many games, but the long winded point I am trying to make is, Medel was brought in for a specific job, and 85% on the time he has done that Job well.

But you are missing my point somewhat.

What Medel does, which is pick the ball up from the center backs in an uncontested part of the field and play short passes to unmarked men is a job most defensive midfielders do as bread and butter.

Yes that position has proved pivotal to the way you play, but it is a position that could have been filled by an array of players available for minimal fees.

His transfer fee hindered you from getting players that could actually make an impact where it is the personnel and not the position that is dictating games.