Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' Liverpool line up £6 million David Marshall bid '

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:09 am

Sunday 20th May 2014.

Liverpool are planning a £6m move for David Marshall if Cardiff are relegated at the end of the season, according to reports from The Metro.

The Scottish stopper has been one of the few bright spots in what has been a terrible campaign for the Bluebirds, who are now facing a difficult last three fixtures as they look to move out of the relegation zone.

Marshall has been ever-present for both Malky Mackay and now manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, with his performances attracting attention from Tottenham in recent weeks.

Now Liverpool have also entered the race, with Brendan Rodgers keen to draft in a goalie to challenge current number one Simon Mignolet and provide cover for next season.

If Cardiff stay up the Northern Irishman knows that he may struggle to convince the 29-year-old to be a backup man at Anfield, but he is confident that the chance of staying in the top tier may be alluring if the South Wales side fail to beat the drop.

A fee of £6m could be enough to convince controversial owner Vincent Tan to sell the glovesman, and would barely make a dent on Rodgers’ own transfer budget – which will be boosted by added Champions League revenue.

Re: Liverpool line up £6 million Marshall bid

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:16 am

6 million....he got to be worth 10+ after this season!!!

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:17 am

I hope he stays but is worth £15million plus now surely, most pundits are saying he has been keeper of the season......

I wouldn't let him go, he is an extra 20 points in the Championship and an extra 10 plus if we stay up.....

Re: ' Liverpool line up £6 million David Marshall bid '

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:32 am

David Marshall is going knowhere. Bookmark this thread you heard it here first :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:39 am

£6m? Yeah imagine that. £10m+ for a keeper of his quality, can't see Mignolet being happy being back up to Scotlands number 1 either.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:11 am

if true.. he is not worth £6 million......UP THE PRICE or even better KEEP HIM FOR WHAT HE WANTS, if we stay in Prem its because of him ?????
:bluescarf:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:15 am

bloobird_james wrote:6 million....he got to be worth 10+ after this season!!!

It said "Liverpool LINE-UP £6m bid" for Marshall, but didn't say Cardiff had to accept it ;)

I've said before, Marshall (and his family) are very happy in Cardiff and the odds are on him staying UNLESS City tell him they want him to go, which listening to Ole is simply not an option :thumbup:

Cue the "Tan asset-strip" merchants :oops:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:31 am

That was from last years Aug 2013 report

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:51 am

keeper values are totally different to the rest of the others, i'd say at most we'd get around £8m

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:31 am

Double that and then maybe :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 am

bluebird04 wrote:keeper values are totally different to the rest of the others, i'd say at most we'd get around £8m

how much did Spurs buy Loris for? I thought it was over £12m

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 am

Hope a good Pl team come in for him as he deserves it, championship football would be terrible for his international career, he deserves to be with a good big club :bluescarf: :old: :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:37 am

Ultimately, I think the only reason we offered him a new contract was to command a bigger fee for him this summer. If we go down, I'd love him to stay, but who could begrudge him taking a move to a big club? The guy has certainly earned it.

Problem is, of all the top clubs, Liverpool might be the worst option for him. Without doubt he's a top 5 keeper, but Liverpool rely on good ball distribution from their keeper's boot, and that it the only aspect of his game that I think is weak. Hell, I don't think I've ever seen a top keeper knock the ball out of play so much when hoofing it up the pitch.

Don't get me wrong, he'd do a superb job there, but he'd have to improve that aspect of his play. And we shouldn't settle for anything less than £12m - the guy can win a club titles, he's worth a fair amount of money.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:54 am

Backup?

Are they joking?

He's way better than Mignolet

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

Wayne S wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:keeper values are totally different to the rest of the others, i'd say at most we'd get around £8m

how much did Spurs buy Loris for? I thought it was over £12m

they paid 10million euros' and an extra 5 on dependable adds ons, i.e, champions league ect, and dont forget they bought him of Lyon, a club much bigger than ours, much more finances than ours, therefore it will cost less to get marshall. if we get about £8m for marshall, thats good money.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:50 pm

it says they want him as cover. would he want to play second fiddle at liverpool? at his age? don't think so.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:12 pm

In August 2007, Craig Gordon agreed a five-year contract with Sunderland, The £9 million fee was the highest a British club had ever paid for a goalkeeper

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Aramore wrote:Backup?

Are they joking?

Totally agree. Marshall has single-handled given us a chance of survival against the best of the Prem Lge. He was mentioned on MOTD as best in the PL. Loris is his nearest rival.

Has to be worth £17m. Can you see Ta. Refusing that sort of money (especially if it is a partial deal with another player thrown in). This will save us competing with others in the open market. I just hope we can replace him with another quality stopper.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 pm

yes they are but Utd paid 18mil for de gea........sunderland nearly 10mil for gordon..........6mil is a joke

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:06 pm

Anyone who thinks cash strapped Cardiff will command high fees for their players are delusional. I've heard 20 Mil for Medel being mentioned previously.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Jesus Christ mun, using a 'story' from the metro, theres a reason its f*cking free

Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:13 pm

£30million or keep him

We can't afford to lose Marshall

We would be rock bottom with 0 points without him

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:01 pm

£6million? For the most in form keeper in the premierleague and arguably the best shot stopper in the premierleague?

They can jog on! £12million+ in my opinion

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:15 pm

Had better put a 1 Infront of the 6.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:41 pm

BlueBird#1 wrote:£30million or keep him

We can't afford to lose Marshall

We would be rock bottom with 0 points without him

We got a point against Hull without him so we'd be rock bottom with atleast 1 point

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Aramore wrote:Backup?

Are they joking?

Agree :thumbup:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:01 pm

David Marshall still confident Cardiff City will stay in the Premier League despite draw to Stoke City
Cardiff City goalkeeper David Marshall sees a second season in the Premier League despite draw to Stoke City still leaving them close to relegation

There is no doubt in the mind of David Marshall that Cardiff City will garner the necessary points to retain their Premier League status.
Admittedly, it might not be a view shared by many occupying the seats at the Cardiff City Stadium. After all, with three games remaining, last season’s Championship winners are trapped in the relegation zone with just two points separating them from safety.
Furthermore, one win in their last six games is hardly the kind of form that will help Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side avoid the indignity of their first top-flight campaign in half-a-century ending in relegation.
Still, on the evidence of Marshall’s latest virtuoso performance, the Scottish goalkeeper has got to be taken seriously.
Already the Premier League’s top stopper, in terms of saves made, the former Norwich goalkeeper pulled off half a dozen world-class stops on Saturday, including a 90th-minute strike from Stoke City's Oussama Assaidi that might, come judgment day next month, prove the difference between the Bluebirds staying up and going down.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:15 pm

Sadly keepers don't value much. I would say the highest price tag it would go as far as is 25 million-30 million.

I doubt he would leave unless he is guaranteed first team Football and don't see Liverpool forking out 6 million after spending 10 million+ on Simon Mignolet last summer.

Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:13 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:Hope a good Pl team come in for him as he deserves it, championship football would be terrible for his international career, he deserves to be with a good big club :bluescarf: :old: :bluescarf:

i personally couldn't care less about his international career. I am a city fan, not a marshall fan. id want him to stay with us even if we went down to he conference. To me hoping our best player goes to a different club is insane

Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 pm

DandoCCFC wrote:Sadly keepers don't value much. I would say the highest price tag it would go as far as is 25 million-30 million.

I doubt he would leave unless he is guaranteed first team Football and don't see Liverpool forking out 6 million after spending 10 million+ on Simon Mignolet last summer.

Are you mad! He hasnt even scored a goal! :lol: