Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cala's disallowed goal

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 am

Can anyone clear it up. I thought that if the ball hits an opposition player and rebounds to a player then it is not offside. Cala was in an offside position when caulker shot but he was not interfering with play. As song as ball hits begovic he is no longer offside and goal should have stood.

Re: Cala's disallowed goal

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:08 am

I thought the same, but apparently a deflection doesn't count as 'playing' the ball, so although the keeper touched the ball, it was still offside.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:13 am

If your a welsh side battling to avoid relegation from the English premier league it's offside,but if you are a English club,or one of the top sides the goal would have stood

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:40 am

When the shot was taken he was offside. The deflection has nothing to do with it.
Then when the ball comes to him he is interfering with play from when the shot was taken.

Sorry but it was right.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:43 am

griff105 wrote:When the shot was taken he was offside. The deflection has nothing to do with it.
Then when the ball comes to him he is interfering with play from when the shot was taken.

Sorry but it was right.

correct

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 am

When Suarez scored for Liverpool the other week for his first goal it was very similar but that was allowed..why!!

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:16 am

bloobird_james wrote:When Suarez scored for Liverpool the other week for his first goal it was very similar but that was allowed..why!!

Because it's Liverpool and the fa favour top 6 clubs

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 am

griff105 wrote:When the shot was taken he was offside. The deflection has nothing to do with it.

Sorry but it was right.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ (sadly) :cry:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:34 am

IMHO if he's within 10 yards of goal he's interfering. Problem is the refs are inconsistent with their interpretation of the rule.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:56 am

[quote="griff105"]When the shot was taken he was offside. The deflection has nothing to do with it.

Sorry but it was right.[/quote

The current offside rule needs to be changed back to how it was previously. It is a lottery whether a goal stands or not when a player is in what we would assume is an offside position under the old rule.

Naismith was yards offside recently for Everton and impeding the keeper by being diectly in his line of sight when the ball was fired in yet the goal was given. I have seen Webb allow similar.

Can't really see much difference!

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:08 am

A deflection and a deliberate play of the ball are two different things. I've not seen it yet so can't really comment. A deflection or save would contribute to offside. An attempt to play the ball woul contribute to onside.

I have found that English refs use this law loosely though.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:44 am

how many times do you see player in offside position making no attempt to play ball at the time but then moments later recieve ball in onside position and scores, 99.9% its a goal for simple reason lino doesnt flag unless player plays ball initianally so deemed not interfering with play thats what happened with cala, did lino flag before or after cala scored thats the question?. if after he scored he was wrong because he wasnt in offside position at moment he scored! :old:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:58 am

Cala was in an offside position when Caulker's shot was deflected by keeper and as he's standing in & around six yard box, he's definitely deemed as offside as he's gained an unfair advantage.
The ball being received after last being touched by a defending player, can cause confusion, but generally if it's a back pass and an attacking player benefits from an offside position he will be ok, but if it's deflected off an intended through ball he will be offside. I think? :roll:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:01 am

Valley Lad wrote:Cala was in an offside position when Caulker's shot was deflected by keeper and as he's standing in & around six yard box, he's definitely deemed as offside as he's gained an unfair advantage.
The ball being received after last being touched by a defending player, can cause confusion, but generally if it's a back pass and an attacking player benefits from an offside position he will be ok, but if it's deflected off an intended through ball he will be offside. I think? :roll:

cant be in offside position if the is player behind ball, that i do know, far as i can see he was only offside when ball initially kicked! so should have been flagged then not later, hence question did lino flag before or after goal went in? :roll:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:04 pm

caerblue wrote:If your a welsh side battling to avoid relegation from the English premier league it's offside,but if you are a English club,or one of the top sides the goal would have stood

Aww just shut the f**k up you absolute clown.

Decision was correct.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:18 pm

We've had some right dodgy decisions against us this season...makes you think!!!

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Valley Lad wrote:Cala was in an offside position when Caulker's shot was deflected by keeper and as he's standing in & around six yard box, he's definitely deemed as offside as he's gained an unfair advantage.

The difference here was that Campbell headed the ball towards the goal and NOT towards Cala.

AT that point Cala was in an offside position but did not appear to interfere with that specific passage of play. He did not obstruct vision or prevent any player from moving towards a better defensive position, so not affecting or interfering with the play from Campbell's header until the split second their keeper touched the ball.

On consideration of whether the keeper deflected the ball.

The ball was headed towards the goal reaching the goalkeeper at below knee level.

The ball was moving away from the goal and above head height by the time it reached Cala.

The opposite direction and opposite angle of ball flight.

That cannot be considered a deflection, more of a rebound.

I'm not going to state I know the exact rules, but the above are the facts of what happened.

Anyone know the exact rule ?

Many thanks

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Sounds offside to me.

Deflections are irrelevant. If you are offside when the ball is struck and you end up scoring from the rebound then you are offside.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:05 pm

JDerrida wrote:

The difference here was that Campbell headed the ball towards the goal and NOT towards Cala.

AT that point Cala was in an offside position but did not appear to interfere with that specific passage of play. He did not obstruct vision or prevent any player from moving towards a better defensive position, so not affecting or interfering with the play from Campbell's header until the split second their keeper touched the ball.

The ball was headed towards the goal reaching the goalkeeper at below knee level.

The ball was moving away from the goal and above head height by the time it reached Cala.

I'm not going to state I know the exact rules, but the above are the facts of what happened.

Many thanks

In fairness if goal had been against us and allowed we'd all be going nuts. FIFA need to clear up the rule and personally I'd like rule made simpler so that it stops controversy

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
bloobird_james wrote:When Suarez scored for Liverpool the other week for his first goal it was very similar but that was allowed..why!!

Helped us but today at the end of the game just on the edge of the area, Snodgrass was clearly fouled, ref waived play on, a bit the same in the Arsenal game when the Hull player was fouled, there is a definite bias.....

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Also because Rupert Murdoch's Sky organisation want to favour the teams that are fashionable, established, generate worldwide coverage and are English :(

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:Sounds offside to me.

Deflections are irrelevant. If you are offside when the ball is struck and you end up scoring from the rebound then you are offside.

It's not always the case though although it should be.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Nothing is always the same in football. Which is why im a firm advocate for a video ref with challenges.

Nearly every other sport has been improved by it and its put the game back in the teams hands and not the refs.

Although in this case, the TMO would say "NO GOAL". :D

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:
caerblue wrote:If your a welsh side battling to avoid relegation from the English premier league it's offside,but if you are a English club,or one of the top sides the goal would have stood

Aww just shut the f**k up you absolute clown.

Decision was correct.

f**k up you old c**t :lol:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
JDerrida wrote:

Many thanks

In fairness if goal had been against us and allowed we'd all be going nuts. FIFA need to clear up the rule and personally I'd like rule made simpler so that it stops controversy

I know a lot of fans would be, but if the rule is clear then it's tough no matter who is the beneficiary.

I agree there has to be a simple rule, that is least open to interpretation and uncertainty.

In yesterday's case, Cala was NOT interfering with play and the wasn't 'deflected', it was 'played' by their keeper.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Nothing is always the same in football. Which is why im a firm advocate for a video ref with challenges.

Nearly every other sport has been improved by it and its put the game back in the teams hands and not the refs.

Although in this case, the TMO would say "NO GOAL". :D

Video refs are a must in my opinion but the big clubs don't want them as they would lose out. Therefore if man united and diverpool don't want it then the fa won't bring it in.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:59 pm

JDerrida wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
JDerrida wrote:

Many thanks

I know a lot of fans would be, but if the rule is clear then it's tough no matter who is the beneficiary.

I agree there has to be a simple rule, that is least open to interpretation and uncertainty.

In yesterday's case, Cala was NOT interfering with play and the wasn't 'deflected', it was 'played' by their keeper.

Was it played or saved?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:59 pm

PtB wrote:
JDerrida wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
JDerrida wrote:

Many thanks

Was it played or saved?

Hit the post then hit keeper before bouncing up for Cala to out into net

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:37 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
PtB wrote:
JDerrida wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
JDerrida wrote:

Many thanks

Was it played or saved?

Hit the post then hit keeper before bouncing up for Cala to out into net

Will be home shortly and can get a look at it.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Offside, correct decision.