Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Sunderland's last two results are good for us

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:13 pm

I'm not referring to that thread chump.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Kenfig Blue wrote:I'm not referring to that thread chump.

Which one are you referring to?

Are you suggesting my opinion changed 5 mins later on another thread? :lol:

You dont half talk some dribble, just admit you made a tit of yourself and move on :lol:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I don't think anyone is an idiot, just people staying positive.

This season you couldn't possible predict what will happen, all I can say is Ole has tightened us right up and we should should be confident, we have just beaten a very good Southampton team and were unlucky not to beat an on form Stoke team.

Sunderland have not beaten a team in the bottom half of the league at home this season, and if we keep it tight again can turn their fans against them, it's all to play for.

It's a playoff final and I think the winner (if there is one) stays up . :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:20 pm

Bluebina wrote:I don't think anyone is an idiot, just people staying positive.

This season you couldn't possible predict what will happen, all I can say is Ole has tightened us right up and we should should be confident, we have just beaten a very good Southampton team and were unlucky not to beat an on form Stoke team.

Sunderland have not beaten a team in the bottom half of the league at home this season, and if we keep it tight again can turn their fans against them, it's all to play for.

It's a playoff final and I think the winner (if there is one) stays up . :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

I understand being positive, however suggesting it is a good thing is idiotic.

As i said yesterday, its like a typhoon hitting and saying "at least the plants get watered" :lol:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:As i said yesterday, its like a typhoon hitting and saying "at least the plants get watered" :lol:

:lol:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:

As i said yesterday, its like a typhoon hitting and saying "at least the plants get watered" :lol:

To stay up we need to have more points than 3 other teams. Sunderland are one of those teams but are below us. Now they have something to play for there's pressure on them whereas if they had nothing to lose they might go hell for leather and turn us over as no pressure. It's not idiotic to suggest that. Small margins and that it might now mean that the pressure is on them as they will be favourites to beat us. If we keep it nil nil or get an early goal we might get their fans on their backs. Much like has happened to us this year when playing those around us however against those at the top we haven't had the pressure on us and have played better.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:18 pm

maccydee wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

To stay up we need to have more points than 3 other teams. Sunderland are one of those teams but are below us. Now they have something to play for there's pressure on them whereas if they had nothing to lose they might go hell for leather and turn us over as no pressure. It's not idiotic to suggest that. Small margins and that it might now mean that the pressure is on them as they will be favourites to beat us. If we keep it nil nil or get an early goal we might get their fans on their backs. Much like has happened to us this year when playing those around us however against those at the top we haven't had the pressure on us and have played better.

That still makes no sense what so ever. Are you saying you are GLAD sunderland won against Chelsea? Thats insane.

Thats like saying I hope everyone below us keeps winning just incase they may feel added pressure when we play them... Completely ignoring that as a result of them winning those games they are now poised to take over us and will if they win their game in hand.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Definitely bad results for us with the black cats picking up 4 pts in the last 2 games, but there may be something in the "pressure" theory. However IMO it's an unlikely effect and if anything they will be ultra confident of beating us next week.
And I think they will and end up staying up.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:47 pm

My point is to stay up realistically we have to beat Sunderland so them winning those games has no bearing on us. If we beat them we are out of their reach.

Quite simple really.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:53 pm

maccydee wrote:My point is to stay up realistically we have to beat Sunderland so them winning those games has no bearing on us. If we beat them we are out of their reach.

Quite simple really.

You didnt have to beat Sunderland though :?

Now you do however - hence why it was a bad result.

Surely this is easy to understand? :shock:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
maccydee wrote:My point is to stay up realistically we have to beat Sunderland so them winning those games has no bearing on us. If we beat them we are out of their reach.

Quite simple really.

We did, or Fulham will most likely pass us :?

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:55 pm

Kenfig Blue wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Quite simple really.

No you didnt, you needed 4 points prior to the Sunderland v Chelsea game. And it didnt necessarily have to be Sunderland as they were 4 points behind you.

Now Sunderland HAS to be a result as they are only 1 point behind.

This is incredible, I cant believe I'm having this discussion. :laughing6:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Quite simple really.

No you didnt, you needed 4 points prior to the Sunderland v Chelsea game. And it didnt necessarily have to be Sunderland as they were 4 points behind you.

Fulham or Sunderland and one other have to be below us for us to catch Norwich or West Brom and for us to be safe. Three teams get relegated so we need to look up not down.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Quite simple really.

So if Sunderland lost yesterday. We drew or lost to Sunderland next week, Norwich lost and Fulham won, we would still be in the bottom 3, you get that ye? :laughing6:
Last edited by Kenfig Blue on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Quite simple really.

f**k off to your own team's board then and don't.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Pre stoke I felt we needed 7 pts as I reckon Fulham will get 36pts and Norwich 35. The plan was 3 of those 7 against stoke, beat Sunderland and sneak a point from either Newcastle or Chelsea.

For me we always had to beat Sunderland, although of course hopefully Fulham will drop more points than I predict.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:07 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:Pre stoke I felt we needed 7 pts as I reckon Fulham will get 36pts and Norwich 35. The plan was 3 of those 7 against stoke, beat Sunderland and sneak a point from either Newcastle or Chelsea.

For me we always had to beat Sunderland, although of course hopefully Fulham will drop more points than I predict.

If you lost to Sunderland (assuming they lost to Chelsea) then they would still be behind you and with a win against Newcastle and a point against Chelsea then you would probably be ok.

Now a defeat to them puts them 2 points ahead of you and a game in hand.

There is no two ways about it, that result yesterday was awful for you. Try and find small mercies, sure. But to oretend it was a good result is just insane.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:09 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Carpe Diem wrote:Pre stoke I felt we needed 7 pts as I reckon Fulham will get 36pts and Norwich 35. The plan was 3 of those 7 against stoke, beat Sunderland and sneak a point from either Newcastle or Chelsea.

If you lost to Sunderland (pre their Chelsea result scenario) then they would still be behind you and with a win against Newcastle and a point against Chelsea then you would probably be ok.

There is no two ways about it, that result yesterday was awful for you. Try and find small mercies, sure. But to oretend it was a good result is just insane.

What if Fulham won 2 of their last 3 :?

The fact is we need to beat Sunderland and maybe 2 draws to be safe, as long as Fulham only win 2 of 3, you do the maths :thumbright:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:

If you lost to Sunderland (pre their Chelsea result scenario) then they would still be behind you and with a win against Newcastle and a point against Chelsea then you would probably be ok.

And lose to Sunderland would probably take away any chance of finishing 17th. That's what we need to do. Find three teams to finish below us. Sunderland now also needing a win will, in my opinion make that game an easier one due to the pressure on them, at home in front of fans expecting them to beat us.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:12 pm

As i just said, you could have lost to Sunderland of they were 4 points behind you as they wouldn't have overtaken you. As ling as you picked up your 4 points from the other 3 games you would be ok.

Now they are 1 point behind you, you cannot afford to lose to them.

Hence why it was a bad result, your margin for error has almost evaporated.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:As i just said, you could have lost to Sunderland of they were 4 points behind you as they wouldn't have overtaken you. As ling as you picked up your 4 points from the other 3 games you would be ok.

How would be ok if Fulham won 2 of 3, do the maths mate for fuk sake.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:15 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:As i just said, you could have lost to Sunderland of they were 4 points behind you as they wouldn't have overtaken you. As ling as you picked up your 4 points from the other 3 games you would be ok.

We could not afford to lose to Sunderland whatever happened due to needing points to catch / stay ahead of Fulham (depending on their result next week) and to catch Norwich and / or West Brom.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:16 pm

Kenfig Blue wrote:

I haven't mentioned Fulham :?

On the subject of maths - You do realise that after that Sunderland result yesterday your odds of survival went down right?

So of your chances of survival are worse as a result of Sunderland beating chelsea - it wasnt a good result.

That is the simplest way i can put it.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:17 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:

If you lost to Sunderland (assuming they lost to Chelsea) then they would still be behind you and with a win against Newcastle and a point against Chelsea then you would probably be ok.

I know it was a bad result, I haven't said otherwise, but for me nothing changes in terms of us having to beat them. Newcastle away will be tough and leaving it until Chelsea to get points will be a nightmare and knowing our home form unlikely.
My hope was that we needed to beat them to get, then stay ahead of, Fulham and Norwich. Unfortunately for us sunderland are now back in the game and have it all to play for when they looked dead and buried.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:19 pm

maccydee wrote:

We could not afford to lose to Sunderland whatever happened due to needing points to catch / stay ahead of Fulham (depending on their result next week) and to catch Norwich and / or West Brom.

Of course you could.

If Fulham lost next week, then you could lose to Sunderland and still be above both.

Now if Fulham lose then you cannot afford the luxury of losing to Sunderland as their result against chelsea ensures that they would now go above you.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:20 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:

On the subject of maths - You do realise that after that Sunderland result yesterday your odds of survival went down right?

So of your chances of survival are worse as a result of Sunderland beating chelsea - it wasnt a good result.

Not really. Sunderland are still behind us and it is in our hands whether it stays like that. Fulham, Norwich and West Brom on the other hand is a different matter .

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Of course you could.

If Fulham lost next week, then you could lose to Sunderland and still be above both.

Great we finish above Fulham and Sunderland. That still leaves us relegated dumbass.
Now if Fulham lose then you cannot afford the luxury of losing to Sunderland as their result against chelsea ensures that they would now go above you.

Great we finish above Sunderland and Fulham. That still leaves us relegated dumbass.
Last edited by maccydee on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:22 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
As i just said, you could have lost to Sunderland of they were 4 points behind you as they wouldn't have overtaken you. As ling as you picked up your 4 points from the other 3 games you would be ok.

From this comment made by you Roath Magic earlier in the thread, you suggest if we picked up 4 points from the last 3 games then we would be ok. By saying this you are implying Fulham are not going to pick up 6 points, as YOU said we would be ok, which in truth is incorrect, as we would not be ok if Fulham picked up 6 points. :thumbright:

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:23 pm

maccydee wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:

Not really. Sunderland are still behind us and it is in our hands whether it stays like that. Fulham, Norwich and West Brom on the other hand is a different matter .

What do you mean not really.

It is an undeniable fact that the probablility of your survival lengthened as a result of Sunderland beating Chelsea.

That isnt an opinion but an absolute fact.

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:24 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Kenfig Blue wrote:

What do you mean not really.

It is an undeniable fact that the probablility of your survival lengthened as a result of Sunderland beating Chelsea.

That isnt an opinion but an absolute fact.

It's not. It's still in our hands. If we beat Sunderland we are likely to finish above them.