Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Cardiff appealing Palace result

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:05 pm

mjw6150 wrote:More info now on BBC Page - Gunnarsson alleged to have some involvement !

Despite that denial Cardiff insist Moody - a former director of recruitment at Cardiff - phoned a former colleague at the Welsh side, the club's performance analyst Enda Barron, on 3 April - two days before the match. It is alleged he called to ask Barron if he could help him obtain the team for the match against Palace.
Although Baron told Cardiff he was unable to provide Moody with the information, he has since left the club. They claim Moody induced him into breaching his contract. Barron was unavailable for comment.
Cardiff allege that by Friday, 4 April - a day before the match - Moody had obtained the starting line up through another source. This is based on a follow up conversation between Moody and Barron in which the Crystal Palace sporting director told him he now had the team.
It is this exchange which forms the basis of their claim against Pulis as Moody is alleged to have told Barron he had to go elsewhere for the information because he was "under pressure from Pulis".
But in perhaps the most dramatic twist of the whole saga, Cardiff then claim that Moody mistakenly sent a text message with the Cardiff starting XI to the Bolton manager Dougie Freedman a day before the game.
Freedman is said to have then tipped off Solskjaer about the leak because they are friends, having attended coaching courses together.

While the Cardiff player Aron Gunnarsson is named as the source of the leak in the Moody text, he has denied to the club that he was behind it. His agent, Jerry de Koning, has also denied leaking the team.
The text message allegedly read: "Straight from Gunnarsson their line up is 4-4-2 Marshall, KTC, Caulker, Turner, Taylor, Daehli, Medel, Mutch, Zaha, Campbell, Jones".
This turned out to be the exact starting line up for the game against Palace. It contained three changes from their previous Premier League match against West Bromwich Albion on 29 March.
For now Cardiff have accepted their explanations and say they don't know who gave Moody the information. One of the reasons they want the League to investigate is to find out who might be responsible.
Cardiff go on to say that in a meeting last week Solskjaer placed on record the details of a brief exchange between him and Pulis immediately after the game at the Cardiff City Stadium.
It is claimed Solskjaer said to Pulis: "I am disgusted that your head of recruitment (Moody) is texting one of my players to get our team."
Pulis allegedly responded: "Oooh I know. I didn't ask for it".
Cardiff claim this is evidence that Pulis knew about the team well in advance of the set time for the exchange of team sheets - one hour before kick off.
According to Cardiff all this amounts to a serious breach of the spirit of the Premier League's chairman's charter, which requires clubs to behave with "utmost good faith and honesty to each other".
They go on to say that the south London club have "failed to maintain confidences", deliberately acted to "breach Premier League and FA rules" and deliberately acted to "induce employees of Cardiff to breach their contractual obligations and responsibilities in order to assist Crystal Palace".
Specifically, Cardiff say Crystal Palace have broken three Premier League rules, B15, B16 and B17. Of these B17 is potentially the most serious as it states that no club shall disclose or divulge confidential information.

They also claim Palace have breached the Football Association's rules by bringing the game into disrepute, although at this stage Cardiff have not lodged a formal complaint with the FA.
Significantly Cardiff claim that Crystal Palace's actions were "an attempt to obtain a sporting advantage".
The letter states: "This was not merely an attempt to obtain confidential information - Crystal Palace succeeded in their efforts and achieved an unexpected 3-0 win over the club. We will never know the extent to which the confidential information affected the outcome of the match."
Nevertheless Cardiff say the "result from the match should not be allowed to stand" and urge the League to deal with the matter as soon as possible, arguing that, with just a few games to go to the end of the season, such a reversal could have a huge impact on the league positions of other teams.
The Premier League have confirmed they have received a formal complaint from Cardiff and are currently assessing the evidence to see if there is a case to answer.
They are understood to be treating the complaint seriously although they believe any inquiry would focus on the conduct of the two clubs and their staff, rather than a wider investigation into the integrity of the match.
Even if a team knows how their opponents will line up, it is debatable how much influence that may have on the eventual outcome of the match.
But Cardiff insist it is cheating and that the whole episode undermines the spirit and integrity of the competition and the League will know that they won't be able to dismiss it lightly - especially with so much money at stake for those teams that are relegated.
Despite repeated attempts by the BBC to obtain a response from Moody and Crystal Palace, they have not yet provided any comment on Cardiff's allegations.

Hang on - have I missed something?

Freedman, Ole's mate, found out the day before the game that Palace sources knew City's line up.
Freedman told Ole
Ole not only did nothing about it until after the game, but picked the same line up as the one that Freedman was texted?

Am I being thick? Why didnt we complain BEFORE the game?!

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:10 pm

The whole - Cardiff want the result to be made void came from the BBC - All of that story (about Dougie Freedman) has just been tacked onto the back of the original BBC article. An article which Cardiff said was total bs..

Smells like journalism to me. Just a little farfetched - why would you sack a guy who did nothing wrong?
Last edited by PokémonMaster on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 pm

PokémonMaster wrote:The whole - Cardiff want the result to be made void came from the BBC - All of that story (about Dougie Freedman) has just been tacked onto the back of the original BBC article. An article which Cardiff said was total bs..

Gotcha

Re: ' Cardiff City appealing Palace result '

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 pm

mjw6150 wrote:Thursday 17th April 2014.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062091

Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Crystal Palace in early April should not be allowed to stand, the Welsh club have said in a five-page letter seen by the BBC.

The document, sent by club lawyers to the Premier League, alleges Palace boss Tony Pulis knew sporting director Iain Moody was trying to obtain Cardiff's starting line-up before the game.

Cardiff claim they have proof Moody succeeded and say this breaches league rules. Pulis declined to comment when contacted by the BBC, although Palace have previously denied the claims.

Premier League strugglers Cardiff go on to state that clubs should act in good faith to one another and call into serious question the integrity of the match.

They say Crystal Palace cheated and want the Premier League to take serious action.
Palace won 3-2 at Everton on Wednesday to climb to 11th in the table, on 40 points, a figure Pulis says is enough to ensure their Premier League survival.

It will get know where and to the rest of the Premier League it will look like sour grapes and bad losers, that's my opinion.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Article says Palace were 'inducing' Cardiff employees to leak the team - offering money??

If so, I'd say this is extremely serious stuff

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Crystal Palace in early April should not be allowed to stand, the Welsh club have said in a five-page letter seen by the BBC.

The document, sent by club lawyers to the Premier League, alleges Palace boss Tony Pulis knew sporting director Iain Moody was trying to obtain Cardiff's starting line-up before the game.

Cardiff claim they have proof Moody succeeded and say this breaches league rules. Pulis declined to comment when contacted by the BBC, although Palace have previously denied the claims.

Premier League strugglers Cardiff go on to state that clubs should act in good faith to one another and call into serious question the integrity of the match.

They say Crystal Palace cheated and want the Premier League to take serious action.
Palace won 3-2 at Everton on Wednesday to climb to 11th in the table, on 40 points, a figure Pulis says is enough to ensure their Premier League survival.

It will get know where and to the rest of the Premier League it will look like sour grapes and bad losers, that's my opinion.

Im not interested in the points we lost against them but if its proved that palace broke rules and regulations surely the club is right to report it or shall we just worry about others thinking its sour grapes?
Last edited by Jasonccfc on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Jinks wrote:Not sure the ins and outs of it but if my club say they have evidence to support this then i'll be supporting my club in whatever they choose to do. :bluescarf:
If anyone at palace and cardiff did wrong then i want heads to roll :thumbright:

This. 100%

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:26 pm

A few hours ago representatives from Cardiff City FC categorically denied reports made by David Bond of the BBC on wanting the game made void - The guy somehow got a copy of your complaint to the FA :lol: Now an he publishes this Tarantino epic. As I said before, sensationalism at its finest.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Agreed, Annis. Pulis made the point that the only opposition team sheet that he takes notice of is the official one, that he gets thirty minutes before kick off. Palace beat us twice, and comfortably. We need to move on. Whether we stay up, or not, let's put this pantomime season behind us. It's just been one farce after another. We are not putting ourselves in a good light at the moment. Roll on 2014/15. This isn't what Cradiff City is about. :bluescarf:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Barry Chuckle wrote:
Jinks wrote:Not sure the ins and outs of it but if my club say they have evidence to support this then i'll be supporting my club in whatever they choose to do. :bluescarf:
If anyone at palace and cardiff did wrong then i want heads to roll :thumbright:

This. 100%

Your agreeing with me? :shock:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:32 pm

Jinks wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

This. 100%

Your agreeing with me? :shock:

Of course. Quite frankly I can't fathom how anyone couldn't.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Heads to roll and people held accountable for breaking rules / unethical behaviour I absolutely agree with.

Asking for the result to be overturned? A load of sour grapes I am afraid.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:36 pm

CF47 BLUEBIRD wrote:Heads to roll and people held accountable for breaking rules / unethical behaviour I absolutely agree with.

Spot on Chris :thumbup:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Agreed, Annis. Pulis made the point that the only opposition team sheet that he takes notice of is the official one, that he gets thirty minutes before kick off. Palace beat us twice, and comfortably. We need to move on. Whether we stay up, or not, let's put this pantomime season behind us. It's just been one farce after another. We are not putting ourselves in a good light at the moment. Roll on 2014/15. This isn't what Cradiff City is about. :bluescarf:

I honestly think we are now sounding desperate, what ever happens come May will be our own doing, nobody else's and lets start next season not looking any more like a circus full of clowns, :thumbup:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Not putting ourselves in good light by reporting a possible breach of rules??

Some people on this board are just plain simple.

So we should just shut up and carry on.....so Palace then try it with another club?? Cheats should always be reported. Its then up to the authorities to decide any punishment.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 pm

CF47 BLUEBIRD wrote:Heads to roll and people held accountable for breaking rules / unethical behaviour I absolutely agree with.

Club have denied asking for any result to be overturned and said Palace were just better than us on the day.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

For the record I dont believe for one second that Ole would agree with asking for the result to be overturned. He doesnt strike me as that kind of sore loser.

he has been pretty honest in defeat, rarely slamming officials. If we are 2nd best, which we usually are, he says so. No excuses.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:43 pm

CF47 BLUEBIRD wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

For the record I dont believe for one second that Ole would agree with asking for the result to be overturned. He doesnt strike me as that kind of sore loser.

he has been pretty honest in defeat, rarely slamming officials. If we are 2nd best, which we usually are, he says so. No excuses.

I believe your right on that as well Chris, this is not Ole's sour grapes its the people above him :thumbup:
I believe Ole is an honest man as well :thumbup:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Im concerned about people from within our club possibly breaking the rules if they have i want them reported same goes for palace. its not about the points for that game its about principle. I for one dont want anyone inside my club leaking info to anyone and i hope that if found they have are sacked reported and exposed in the news and media.
Not everyone will feel the same though :thumbup:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:47 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
CF47 BLUEBIRD wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:

Caulker 15mil :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Bookmark it and we'll see who is right this summer.

Top 4 crawling all over him :lol:

Get a grip. If he was top 4 material Spurs would have kept hold of him.

He will make a living in the Premier league for sure, but Top 4 / Champions League player? Not for me. Not good enough with the ball at his feet.

Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd all reportedly interested...

So is Pontyclun fc it doesn't mean he is going to them :roll:. I bet it's his agent saying it

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm

PokémonMaster wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
DonRogers wrote:Ha ha ha. You lot seem to forget a couple of things
1: Pulis didn't change tactics or positions. The same players on the pitch as the previous matches, and the matches after.
2: OGS doesn't have any tactics, so how could he change?

I hope after reading your drivel that the fa deduct your lovely little club 20 points and relegate you.

It's probably your best chance at survival.

:lol:
Never a truer word spoken in jest

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
1: Pulis didn't change tactics or positions. The same players on the pitch as the previous matches, and the matches after.

I hope after reading your drivel that the fa deduct your lovely little club 20 points and relegate you.

Ha ha ha.... :lol:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:57 pm

DonRogers wrote:
Gareth (Wilts) wrote:

Ha ha ha.... :lol:

You are an insult to the name Don Rogers. Don was a Swindon legend who I have met on many occasions and is a true footballing gent. You on the other hand are also a 4 letter word ending in nt.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:01 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

If there are people within the club that leaks tactics and line up to opposing teams that needs to be dealt with. As for the result the club has said the better team won so it doesn't seem to be about that. The fact that we lost shouldn't stop us from making a complaint if there is unethical behaviour if its true that Boltons manager tipped the club off then obviously there are more people in the game that thinks this is unethical.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
Mario wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:
mjw6150 wrote: but there is indeed a lack of grace towards Ole on here.

& there isn't about Mackay?! Dear me, there's slanderous topics and posts made about Malky on here almost daily! :roll:

You are indeed correct. Malky deserves so much better too - a legend of the club.

Oh please. Malky is a club legend for spunking £50m in the summer on players who didn't make us any better than we were in the championship (with 1 or 2 exceptions).

Ye you keep thinking that, spaz.

I'll admit, Malky was great in the championship (but lets not forget that he also spent a huge amount to get us up)

Not as much as Leicester & Blackburn spent and about as much as Hull, Wolves and Forest spent. (Wolves even went down!)

Bet QPR have spent way more to finish in the play-offs this season.

So were Medel & Caulker wastes of money??

We spent more than ALL of those sides bar Blackburn and QPR (which they have spent the same amount as us)

And yes, Medel was a waste of money.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:08 pm

lets not forget wages. 30m in our championship winning season. That blows all those clubs out of the water.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:09 pm

LonCar wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

If there are people within the club that leaks tactics and line up to opposing teams that needs to be dealt with. As for the result the club has said the better team won so it doesn't seem to be about that. The fact that we lost shouldn't stop us from making a complaint if there is unethical behaviour if its true that Boltons manager tipped the club off then obviously there are more people in the game that thinks this is unethical.

Some people would rather we did nothing about it :roll: I hope if cardiff have good evidence they chase it up and expose every mole in the club and report palace

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Were Caulker and Medel a waste of money?

Well, when you consider Hull signed Davies, Figueroa, Huddlestone, Jelavic, Long, Elmohamady and Livermore on loan for the season for more or less what weve spent on those two then yes you have to say the money was wasted and could have been spent so much wiser.

We may get lucky to recoup most of the Caulker money as hes young and English. However, anyone who thinks we will get even half of the money we paid for Gary needs a trip to the quacks.

The premier league is far too fast and powerful for him. Maybe he is suited to La Liga where more time on the ball but Real Madrid and Barcelona aside no-one in Spain has got any money.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:24 pm

Palace v Fulham last day of the season

This could all end badly

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26 pm

CF47 BLUEBIRD wrote:Were Caulker and Medel a waste of money?

Well, when you consider Hull signed Davies, Figueroa, Huddlestone, Jelavic, Long, Elmohamady and Livermore on loan for the season for more or less what weve spent on those two then yes you have to say the money was wasted and could have been spent so much wiser.

We may get lucky to recoup most of the Caulker money as hes young and English. However, anyone who thinks we will get even half of the money we paid for Gary needs a trip to the quacks.

The premier league is far too fast and powerful for him. Maybe he is suited to La Liga where more time on the ball but Real Madrid and Barcelona aside no-one in Spain has got any money.

This