Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Cardiff appealing Palace result

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:26 am

So the Beeb has seen the letter and say you have asked for the result not to stand but your club states it didn't ask for that.

Hmm who to believe?

So those of you who believe something should be done can you explain what?

Palace doct points? Game be made void? You awarded the points? Game replayed?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Palace have cheated and shown a total disregard for the rules.The result will stand, but a heavy fine and action against moody should be the outcome if proven.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:50 am

Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:
mjw6150 wrote: but there is indeed a lack of grace towards Ole on here.

& there isn't about Mackay?! Dear me, there's slanderous topics and posts made about Malky on here almost daily! :roll:

You are indeed correct. Malky deserves so much better too - a legend of the club.

Oh please. Malky is a club legend for spunking £50m in the summer on players who didn't make us any better than we were in the championship (with 1 or 2 exceptions).

Took us the Carling Cup Final and play-offs as a Championship side having had to rebuilt the squad on little money.
Then had a warchest and won the league by 8 points.

Were Caulker & Medel a waste of money? Cornelius and Brayford were wasted money but I wouldn't say the others necessarily were.

Dave Jones took us to the FA cup final and the play-offs multiple seasons in a row, he's not considered a club legend by folks like yourself because he didn't stand on the sideline screaming how he loved Cardiff and the 'fans' all while doing a nice little fist pump. DJ also managed to do it on a similarly shocking budget to Malky, whether DJ would have gotten us up after the injection of cash or not is pure speculation but I believe he would have.

Caulker and Medel may be great players but we paid millions over the odds for them, so I guess yeah, they were a waste of money.

Actually I rate Dave Jones highly and think of him as a legend, too. Might want to ask me first before assuming my opinion.

Caulker was a steal at £9m.
Medel only slightly over the odds himself.

Really Malky only wasted 1/3 of the budget.

Apologies for assuming your opinion of a former manager, but surely you'll agree that he's not seen in such a positive light as Malky?

Caulker wasn't a steal at 9m.

Slightly over the odds for Medel? He's a holding midfielder, not the sort of player we should have been spending that much money on. It was clear when we got promoted that we didn't have a strike force capable of troubling premiership opposition. Cornelius was never going to be the answer (and you could tell that from the minute he kicked a ball pre-season), Odemwengie may have helped (after showing what he's capable of at Stoke) but not when he's used in a role that he's not built for.

Even if Malky did 'only' waste 1/3 of the budget, that's still over 10m! Ten million pounds thrown down the drain, for any other business that's unthinkable.

Only by some of the members on here.

Bookmark this, when we surely sell Caulker this summer (and the big four will be crawling over him) we will get at least £15m.

Medel was one of top midfielders in Liga BBVA last season. At least worth £7-8m.

Southampton spent £13m on Ramirez and £15m on Osvaldo, both of whom have ended up being used sparingly. Yet they are heralded on here as a club we should aspire to be.

Manager make mistakes, even Fergie, Jose & Wenger have had their transfer nightmares.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:50 am

paulh_85 wrote:what planet are people on?

Caulker may not have been bad business (thought it was 8m btw?) but he certainly wasnt a "steal" and hasnt shown, through his performances that hes worth any more than we paid for him (though this might be down to who is alongside him)

Medel was a little over-priced (going by the 9.5m figure) but its not the cost of him, its that we spend that much on a Defensive midfielder when we needed better players elsewhere!

the fact that some idiot say Malky "only" wasted 1/3 of the budget like its no big deal? that over 10m! Brayford and Cornelius were the obvious wastes, while Odenwinge was wasted in how he was used.

Overall this summer Malkys transfer activity was woeful, i cant imagine why anyone would think any different.

Read my above post

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:52 am

Midland Blue wrote:
Mario wrote:Yep. I don't include bonuses and wages in the cardiff spending. sooooooooooooo, they spent about 35 million.

We have players with better sell on value than Norwich.

:sleepy2:

But he's right, we'll easily get £20m+ combined for Caulker & Medel if we sold them in the summer.

Who do Norwich have worth that much?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

I dont know whats more embarassing. The club asking for the result to be oveturned or Natmans post on this thread.

Pathetic. The beat us fair and square, and sadly it wasnt just down to tactics they wanted it ten times more than we did.
Last edited by CF47 BLUEBIRD on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

& there isn't about Mackay?! Dear me, there's slanderous topics and posts made about Malky on here almost daily! :roll:

You are indeed correct. Malky deserves so much better too - a legend of the club.

Oh please. Malky is a club legend for spunking £50m in the summer on players who didn't make us any better than we were in the championship (with 1 or 2 exceptions).

Took us the Carling Cup Final and play-offs as a Championship side having had to rebuilt the squad on little money.
Then had a warchest and won the league by 8 points.

Were Caulker & Medel a waste of money? Cornelius and Brayford were wasted money but I wouldn't say the others necessarily were.

Dave Jones took us to the FA cup final and the play-offs multiple seasons in a row, he's not considered a club legend by folks like yourself because he didn't stand on the sideline screaming how he loved Cardiff and the 'fans' all while doing a nice little fist pump. DJ also managed to do it on a similarly shocking budget to Malky, whether DJ would have gotten us up after the injection of cash or not is pure speculation but I believe he would have.

Caulker and Medel may be great players but we paid millions over the odds for them, so I guess yeah, they were a waste of money.

Actually I rate Dave Jones highly and think of him as a legend, too. Might want to ask me first before assuming my opinion.

Caulker was a steal at £9m.
Medel only slightly over the odds himself.

Really Malky only wasted 1/3 of the budget.

Apologies for assuming your opinion of a former manager, but surely you'll agree that he's not seen in such a positive light as Malky?

Caulker wasn't a steal at 9m.

Slightly over the odds for Medel? He's a holding midfielder, not the sort of player we should have been spending that much money on. It was clear when we got promoted that we didn't have a strike force capable of troubling premiership opposition. Cornelius was never going to be the answer (and you could tell that from the minute he kicked a ball pre-season), Odemwengie may have helped (after showing what he's capable of at Stoke) but not when he's used in a role that he's not built for.

Even if Malky did 'only' waste 1/3 of the budget, that's still over 10m! Ten million pounds thrown down the drain, for any other business that's unthinkable.

Bookmark this, when we surely sell Caulker this summer (and the big four will be crawling over him) we will get at least £15m.

Medel was one of top midfielders in Liga BBVA last season. At least worth £7-8m.

Southampton spent £13m on Ramirez and £15m on Osvaldo, both of whom have ended up being used sparingly. Yet they are heralded on here as a club we should aspire to be.

Manager make mistakes, even Fergie, Jose & Wenger have had their transfer nightmares.

Caulker 15mil :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm

Pontyclun Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Midland Blue wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

Caulker 15mil :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

Ye, I'd demand at least 20.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Pontyclun Blue wrote:

Bookmark it and we'll see who is right this summer.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 pm

City have NOT asked for the result to be overturned, only to investigate :thumbup:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... ed-7001118

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Svenman87 wrote:Even if this only increased Palace's chance of winning the game by a few percent. That's still a few percent - it shouldn't matter if it's .1% or 50%

Unfair advantage [CHEATING] shouldn't be tolerated.

How have palace cheated? Someone from your club told them didn't they?

If that is the case someone from your club should send a letter to the opposition the night before with the team sheet and if you lose, then cry foul.p

Nonsense. You were crushed by a team unchanged from its last game. :lol:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:

Done :thumbup:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 pm

mjw6150 wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:

Top 4 crawling all over him :lol:

Get a grip. If he was top 4 material Spurs would have kept hold of him.

He will make a living in the Premier league for sure, but Top 4 / Champions League player? Not for me. Not good enough with the ball at his feet.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Just from the act of asking for the team lineup is against premier rules, and the guy who retexed the answer is allegedly a big pal of Moody, the guy has now been sacked

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24 pm

Right to report it, if the FA feel the result shouldnt stand then so be it, but leave it to the FA rather than push for it.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Ha ha ha. You lot seem to forget a couple of things
1: Pulis didn't change tactics or positions. The same players on the pitch as the previous matches, and the matches after.
2: OGS doesn't have any tactics, so how could he change?

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Denzil wrote:Palace have cheated and shown a total disregard for the rules.The result will stand, but a heavy fine and action against moody should be the outcome if proven.

Palace AND Moody should be penalized? I honestly don't think Palace knew (if this turns out to be true) what Moody had done at the time (in terms of asking around), and Pulis really doesn't come across as the type of guy who would hatch his plan to overcome the mighty Cardiff City on the back of a text message. They came with the same unchanged lineup, and tactics Pulis has been utilizing for donkeys years, that text changed nothing. If this crap is true, Moody deserves a punishment more than Palace do - It was 1 idiot who gave away the lineup, and it was 1 idiot who asked for it, punish the man, not the club.
Last edited by PokémonMaster on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:43 pm

DonRogers wrote:Ha ha ha. You lot seem to forget a couple of things
1: Pulis didn't change tactics or positions. The same players on the pitch as the previous matches, and the matches after.

I hope after reading your drivel that the fa deduct your lovely little club 20 points and relegate you.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Gareth (Wilts) wrote:
DonRogers wrote:Ha ha ha. You lot seem to forget a couple of things

I hope after reading your drivel that the fa deduct your lovely little club 20 points and relegate you.

It's probably your best chance at survival.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:46 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:
Svenman87 wrote:Even if this only increased Palace's chance of winning the game by a few percent. That's still a few percent - it shouldn't matter if it's .1% or 50%

If that is the case someone from your club should send a letter to the opposition the night before with the team sheet and if you lose, then cry foul.p

Do you not think someone being called to get information isn't cheating? Let's see what they find (if anything) and move on.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:50 pm

The fact it remained unchanged is irrelevant. It may have changed had he nit known the line up

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:53 pm

Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Also if they are found to have broken the rules by the FA that means what?

I'll give ya a hint - it would mean that the FA has deemed that they have cheated.

:thumbup: :wave: :roll:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:57 pm

CF47 BLUEBIRD wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:
Pontyclun Blue wrote:

Top 4 crawling all over him :lol:

Get a grip. If he was top 4 material Spurs would have kept hold of him.

He will make a living in the Premier league for sure, but Top 4 / Champions League player? Not for me. Not good enough with the ball at his feet.

Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd all reportedly interested...

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:57 pm

It's a tough one.

We lost, no question, fair and square, and it's hardly like we had some innovative, trick strategy that could not possibly have been foreseen up our sleeves. Our stategy, and their approach, was very similar to the West Ham and Hull home games.. To that end, Palace knowing our line up was largely irrelevent.

however..

It goes completely against the far play and integrity that is (at least to supposed to be) at the centre of professional sport. yes teams manipulate referees, appeal for decisions that aren't theirs and try to get away with things, but gaining a fundamental advantage before the game by knowing the opponent's team is completely wrong and should be punished.

Now, a lot of this could very well be BBC media dramatisation. I sincerely hope so. I would hope the club's stand would be something to the effect of:

'we lost. no question. no complaints. However in the interests of the sport and fair play, it is only right and proper that any individual or group who took part in this should be punished and punished severely.'

I have a feeling that is the stance the club is taking, and that the BBC have latched on choice phrases and presented them in entirely a different way to how they were intended.

Especially at this time, given we are at least showing some signs of being able to dig ourselves out of this mess, we should retain a dignified silence beyond presenting the facts as we see them to the FA. I would hope that the FA treat the individuals concerned with complete contempt, and they have the book thrown at them. NOthing should happen to Palace as a club - As Tony Pulis said, I highly doubt he changed his preparation based on 'leaks' about the City team - he would have prepared thoroughly no matter what, and would have been a fool to take at face value and believe completely a team sheet that has come from the enemy camp.
Last edited by sjw-212 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Svenman87 wrote:
Roath_Magic_ wrote:

Also if they are found to have broken the rules by the FA that means what?

I'll give ya a hint - it would mean that the FA has deemed that they have cheated.

:thumbup: :wave: :roll:

Svenman is right, the issue here isn't that an employee of CCFC gave them the line up, it is that CPFC actively solicited the line up.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:01 pm

mjw6150 wrote:Svenman is right, the issue here isn't that an employee of CCFC gave them the line up, it is that an employee of CPFC actively solicited the line up.

Here, let me fix this for you.

More info now on BBC Page - Gunnarsson alleged to have some involvement !

Despite that denial Cardiff insist Moody - a former director of recruitment at Cardiff - phoned a former colleague at the Welsh side, the club's performance analyst Enda Barron, on 3 April - two days before the match. It is alleged he called to ask Barron if he could help him obtain the team for the match against Palace.
Although Baron told Cardiff he was unable to provide Moody with the information, he has since left the club. They claim Moody induced him into breaching his contract. Barron was unavailable for comment.
Cardiff allege that by Friday, 4 April - a day before the match - Moody had obtained the starting line up through another source. This is based on a follow up conversation between Moody and Barron in which the Crystal Palace sporting director told him he now had the team.
It is this exchange which forms the basis of their claim against Pulis as Moody is alleged to have told Barron he had to go elsewhere for the information because he was "under pressure from Pulis".
But in perhaps the most dramatic twist of the whole saga, Cardiff then claim that Moody mistakenly sent a text message with the Cardiff starting XI to the Bolton manager Dougie Freedman a day before the game.
Freedman is said to have then tipped off Solskjaer about the leak because they are friends, having attended coaching courses together.
While the Cardiff player Aron Gunnarsson is named as the source of the leak in the Moody text, he has denied to the club that he was behind it. His agent, Jerry de Koning, has also denied leaking the team.
The text message allegedly read: "Straight from Gunnarsson their line up is 4-4-2 Marshall, KTC, Caulker, Turner, Taylor, Daehli, Medel, Mutch, Zaha, Campbell, Jones".
This turned out to be the exact starting line up for the game against Palace. It contained three changes from their previous Premier League match against West Bromwich Albion on 29 March.
For now Cardiff have accepted their explanations and say they don't know who gave Moody the information. One of the reasons they want the League to investigate is to find out who might be responsible.
Cardiff go on to say that in a meeting last week Solskjaer placed on record the details of a brief exchange between him and Pulis immediately after the game at the Cardiff City Stadium.
It is claimed Solskjaer said to Pulis: "I am disgusted that your head of recruitment (Moody) is texting one of my players to get our team."
Pulis allegedly responded: "Oooh I know. I didn't ask for it".
Cardiff claim this is evidence that Pulis knew about the team well in advance of the set time for the exchange of team sheets - one hour before kick off.
According to Cardiff all this amounts to a serious breach of the spirit of the Premier League's chairman's charter, which requires clubs to behave with "utmost good faith and honesty to each other".
They go on to say that the south London club have "failed to maintain confidences", deliberately acted to "breach Premier League and FA rules" and deliberately acted to "induce employees of Cardiff to breach their contractual obligations and responsibilities in order to assist Crystal Palace".
Specifically, Cardiff say Crystal Palace have broken three Premier League rules, B15, B16 and B17. Of these B17 is potentially the most serious as it states that no club shall disclose or divulge confidential information.

They also claim Palace have breached the Football Association's rules by bringing the game into disrepute, although at this stage Cardiff have not lodged a formal complaint with the FA.
Significantly Cardiff claim that Crystal Palace's actions were "an attempt to obtain a sporting advantage".
The letter states: "This was not merely an attempt to obtain confidential information - Crystal Palace succeeded in their efforts and achieved an unexpected 3-0 win over the club. We will never know the extent to which the confidential information affected the outcome of the match."
Nevertheless Cardiff say the "result from the match should not be allowed to stand" and urge the League to deal with the matter as soon as possible, arguing that, with just a few games to go to the end of the season, such a reversal could have a huge impact on the league positions of other teams.
The Premier League have confirmed they have received a formal complaint from Cardiff and are currently assessing the evidence to see if there is a case to answer.
They are understood to be treating the complaint seriously although they believe any inquiry would focus on the conduct of the two clubs and their staff, rather than a wider investigation into the integrity of the match.
Even if a team knows how their opponents will line up, it is debatable how much influence that may have on the eventual outcome of the match.
But Cardiff insist it is cheating and that the whole episode undermines the spirit and integrity of the competition and the League will know that they won't be able to dismiss it lightly - especially with so much money at stake for those teams that are relegated.
Despite repeated attempts by the BBC to obtain a response from Moody and Crystal Palace, they have not yet provided any comment on Cardiff's allegations.
Last edited by mjw6150 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PokémonMaster wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:Svenman is right, the issue here isn't that an employee of CCFC gave them the line up, it is that an employee of CPFC actively solicited the line up.

Here, let me fix this for you.

mjw6150 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062091

Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Crystal Palace in early April should not be allowed to stand, the Welsh club have said in a five-page letter seen by the BBC.
The document, sent by club lawyers to the Premier League, alleges Palace boss Tony Pulis knew sporting director Iain Moody was trying to obtain Cardiff's starting line-up before the game.
Cardiff claim they have proof Moody succeeded and say this breaches league rules. Pulis declined to comment when contacted by the BBC, although Palace have previously denied the claims.
Premier League strugglers Cardiff go on to state that clubs should act in good faith to one another and call into serious question the integrity of the match.
They say Crystal Palace cheated and want the Premier League to take serious action.
Palace won 3-2 at Everton on Wednesday to climb to 11th in the table, on 40 points, a figure Pulis says is enough to ensure their Premier League survival.

Not sure the ins and outs of it but if my club say they have evidence to support this then i'll be supporting my club in whatever they choose to do. :bluescarf:
If anyone at palace and cardiff did wrong then i want heads to roll :thumbright:

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Jinks wrote:
mjw6150 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27062091

Cardiff's 3-0 defeat by Crystal Palace in early April should not be allowed to stand, the Welsh club have said in a five-page letter seen by the BBC.
The document, sent by club lawyers to the Premier League, alleges Palace boss Tony Pulis knew sporting director Iain Moody was trying to obtain Cardiff's starting line-up before the game.
Cardiff claim they have proof Moody succeeded and say this breaches league rules. Pulis declined to comment when contacted by the BBC, although Palace have previously denied the claims.
Premier League strugglers Cardiff go on to state that clubs should act in good faith to one another and call into serious question the integrity of the match.
They say Crystal Palace cheated and want the Premier League to take serious action.
Palace won 3-2 at Everton on Wednesday to climb to 11th in the table, on 40 points, a figure Pulis says is enough to ensure their Premier League survival.

Not sure the ins and outs of it but if my club say they have evidence to support this then i'll be supporting my club in whatever they choose to do. :bluescarf:
If anyone at palace and cardiff did wrong then i want heads to roll :thumbright:

Look at the updated article, this is very interesting!