Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' WE WANTED A REACTION AND OLE DELIVERED '

Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:59 pm

' WE WANTED A REACTION AND OLE DELIVERED '

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137773 :thumbup:

Isn't that exactly what we wanted to see ?

A reaction to the shameful performance the week previous against Crystal Palace. We got more than a reaction , we saw improvements and we come away with 3 unexpected points.

Ole made changes yesterday and I don't believe any of us could argue with any of his decisions.

Fabio in for Taylor, Cala replacing Turner, Whiitingham and Kim in for ineffective pair last week of Jones and Zaha.

Our team has been built up all season to remain tight and work from a foundation of being more defensive than any other style and since his arrival Ole has tried to get us attacking more and more but yesterday he went with a 4-5-1 and we reaped the rewards.

I was pleased to see a better display from Wilfried Zaha when he came on and I was hoping that City fans would get behind the young lad when he entered the play, I don't think we should underestimate what Zaha is capable of and with just 2 minutes to go he reminded us what he is all about.

Ole has secured his first away win for City and it came against a top 8 side, Southampton are no mugs they commanded the majority of the game but City stuck to their task and kept it tight which gave us the platform to build from.

Each of the remaining four games are important and buoyed by yesterday's result and scores from elsewhere we have given ourselves a lifeline, if we can follow up the win over Southampton with avoiding defeat against Stoke then we will have given ourselves a good opportunity to somehow pull off the great escape.

I suspect many City fans are thinking we have to beat Stoke but I think a draw wouldn't be a disaster should other results go as expected.

Had someone offered us 4 points from Southampton and Stoke, we have bitten their arm off.

If we did pull off a win against Stoke then I believe we will be just one win away from surviving or even possibly just a couple of draws.

Yesterday was a highlight of the season and I am hoping that Ole has found the formula to guide us to safety.

Re: WE WANTED A REACTION AND OLE DELIVERED

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:23 pm

I agree that a draw would be ok, but think of it like this.

Fulham go to Spurs in the early kick off. I'd fancy Spurs, they'll want to bounce back from drawing at WBA.

Then, IF we beat Stoke then we'd go two points ahead of Fulham.

Norwich don't play until Sunday, so at 5pm on Saturday we COULD only be in the relegation zone on GD. Obviously won't happen this weekend, but we only need a seven-goal swing in GD to have a better GD to Norwich, they've got a really tough run-in too. We already have a 6-goal better GD than Fulham.

I'm starting to dream, great day at St Mary's yesterday :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Stoke are better than their position suggests. One of the most in form teams in the league. I'm getting less and less confident as the game gets nearer.

Their shit away form comforts me though :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Aramore wrote:Stoke are better than their position suggests. One of the most in form teams in the league. I'm getting less and less confident as the game gets nearer.

Their shit away form comforts me though :ayatollah:

I just looked and Stoke have won just two away games this season.

They lost away to both Fulham and Sunderland so maybe we could make it a hat trick of defeats to teams currently in the bottom 3 :ayatollah:

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:54 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:I agree that a draw would be ok, but think of it like this.

Fulham go to Spurs in the early kick off. I'd fancy Spurs, they'll want to bounce back from drawing at WBA.

Then, IF we beat Stoke then we'd go two points ahead of Fulham.

Norwich don't play until Sunday, so at 5pm on Saturday we COULD only be in the relegation zone on GD. Obviously won't happen this weekend, but we only need a seven-goal swing in GD to have a better GD to Norwich, they've got a really tough run-in too. We already have a 6-goal better GD than Fulham.

I'm starting to dream, great day at St Mary's yesterday :ayatollah: :bluescarf:

It is the Norwich goal difference that gives me the greatest hope to be honest :ayatollah:

Re: ' WE WANTED A REACTION AND OLE DELIVERED '

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:41 pm

norwich are going down carl no manager shot themselves in the foot m8 :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:43 pm

Carlos I honestly believe we can only stay up if we at least beat Stoke,Sunderland and ether Newcastle or Chelsea.
9pts I reckon, because Carlos, other teams incl Fulham and Norwich keep pulling of shock results along the way. :thumbup:

RIVALS UPDATE
link
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137773 :thumbup:

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Minimum 7pts required IMO.
Our home form has been abysmal so I pray we turn up against a very decent stoke side.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:09 pm

I went yesterday, which was the first away game I have gone to since the early 80's when I was young and single and had no family commitments.
The support given to the team was fantastic and as I was waiting to meet my son-in-law outside the ground a number of Southampton supporters came up to me and said they had not seen so many away coaches before and were very impressed with the number of Cardiff fans.
To be fair to them they all wished the team good luck and said they hoped we would stay up which was nice, inside the ground the atmosphere was brilliant, the singing was superb and when we scored I thought the roof was going to come off!
The first half was poor, we gave the ball away too easily which I believe was down to the pressure of the occasion, however we stuck to the task and the second half was much better and though we had to defend for our lives at the end yet again Marshall was brilliant.
I respect everyone's right to have an opinion but please get behind the team for the remainder of the season and you never know we may escape relegation. It definitely can be done as everyone thought we would lose yesterday but nothing is certain in football.
I believe that the team will have got a tremendous boost in confidence after a win like that and hopefully can beat Stoke who are safe and do not have anything to play for, the same goes for Newcastle who look like they are already on the beach.Sunderland will be the crunch game but if the boys put in another performance like yesterday that is definitely winnable.
So my message is do not be negative but get right behind the team who will respond to our backing as they did yesterday, Cala was immense and should be made captain so was Daehli, even Zaha put in a shift when he came on.
We can still do this!!

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 am

It was nice to see a bit of fight.
But the damage has already been done.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:08 am

Agree, we have to play Stoke and Sunderland to win and must win. Its so tight down their, we need to hope Fulham lose to Tott and Norwich, which we have admit could easily lose their last 4 games.

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:16 am

I don't want to be negative but we were poor on Saturday until we scored the goal,our players looked totally disinterested and I think Southampton took us for for granted due and their comfortable position in the league allowed players to relax.I believe Stoke will be a tougher game but fingers crossed we have turned a corner and Norwich have a dreadful run in. :bluescarf:

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:25 am

keepcardiffblue wrote:I don't want to be negative but we were poor on Saturday until we scored the goal,our players looked totally disinterested and I think Southampton took us for for granted due and their comfortable position in the league allowed players to relax.I believe Stoke will be a tougher game but fingers crossed we have turned a corner and Norwich have a dreadful run in. :bluescarf:

the reality is after two transfer windows and nearly 50 million spent we are just an average championship side playing with the big boys.
Southampton were without their main striker saturday and were reliant on lambert who originated from the lower leagues and that was probably the difference although marshall was at his best again.
i keep banging on about the same old thing but if and when we go down the main reason will be the lack of threat offered up front all season.
whitts was our top scorer with 8 goals last year so the problem existed then regarding a striker and it was never addressed by malky.
lets hope jones is fit saturday because if he cant play out of his skin against his former club who rejected him and fined him then theres no hope for him or us

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:32 am

AJ1927 wrote:It was nice to see a bit of fight.
But the damage has already been done.

errrr :roll:

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:38 pm

1, the optimistic view = We need 9 points if we don't want to rely on what other teams achieve.

or

2. the more pessimistic view = we need minimum 7 points and hope other teams around us muck up.

option number 2 could well end up a number two in our face.

I know which option I am focused on.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:41 pm

TomLlewellyn1927 wrote:1, the optimistic view = We need 9 points if we don't want to rely on what other teams achieve.

or

2. the more pessimistic view = we need minimum 7 points and hope other teams around us muck up.

errr what do you mean ? :?

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:07 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
TomLlewellyn1927 wrote:1, the optimistic view = We need 9 points if we don't want to rely on what other teams achieve.

or

relying on number 2 option could mean we are clutching at straws thinking we need 7 points and we could literally end up with number 2 (shit) on our face

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:33 pm

TomLlewellyn1927 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

or

relying on number 2 option could mean we are clutching at straws thinking we need 7 points and we could literally end up with number 2 (shit) on our face

what a weird way of looking at things :laughing5:

how exactly is anyone going to end up with "shit on their face"? people are speculating about how many points might keep us up.... as far as the team is concerned they will be going all out to will all 4 games, im really not sure what your point is