Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Says " We need a miracle to survive "

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:48 pm

Cardiff City boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: We need a miracle to survive after my Crystal Palace plan failed
SaturdayApr 05, 2014 By Gareth Rogers

Solskjaer admitted his tactics did not work against Palace but refused to throw in the towel after this latest debacle
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits his team need a miracle to stay in the Premier League after a dire 3-0 home defeat to fellow strugglers Crystal Palace.

The former Manchester United striker, who put his most iconic football moment, scoring a last-gasp Champions League final winner against Bayern Munich, down to “never giving up” said: “If you can produce a miracle we are still capable of getting out of this.

“I’m full of fight.

“It’s been a tough season for everyone at the club.

“We showed a lack of belief at the end and ran out of ideas.”

But when asked by a Norwegian journalist whether his players shared his fight to stay in the top flight, Solskjaer laughed and said: “The players are desperate to stay up.

“Of course they want to stay in the league.

“This was very disappointing.

“We built it up to be a big game.

“I’m disappointed for the fans and the players. The players had prepared well all week.

“I have been here three months and I’ve got more energy and fight in me than ever.

“Being dropped to the bench galvanised me as a player and this situation galvanises me as a manager. Now things have to change.”

One thing Solskjaer did change for today’s game was starting with Mats Moller Daehli and Wilfried Zaha in the same attack-minded midfield.

While insisting the impressive Daehli will start more games in the run-in, a cloud hangs over the former Palace winger, who faded after a bright start on the right wing.

Solskjaer said: “I felt Wilf had some chances and was really positive but he and others ran out of belief after Palace’s second.

“I had to make a change and Nooney made something happen.

“Wilf is a strong character and it was a difficult game for him against his old club but he did his best and I can’t fault him.”

The inclusion of Zaha and Daehli meant central striker Fraizer Campbell moved out to the left wing to provide extra pace but the former striker admits moving his former Manchester United team-mate out wide was a mistake in hindsight.

He said: “I hold my hands up.

“I had a plan to play away from Palace’s strong central midfield but it didn’t work.

“It’s difficult to defend the performance.

“We lacked quality.

“We had some good attacks down the right but it took its toll in the second half.

When asked if this was the worst defeat of his short reign, Solskjaer simply said: “All defeats are horrible.

“It’s hard to say which is worse but today was very hard.”

But the Bluebirds boss refused to be totally downbeat, saying: “We still have something to fight for and the players have to realise that.

“If we win at Southampton we might be suddenly back in with a chance.”

Re: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Says " We need a miracle to surviv

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:49 pm

We are down Ole. You have failed. Think about next season. If you are here

Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Nothing he ever says makes him sound in the least bit competent. OLE OUT

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:00 pm

I have listened to that interview and he sounded pathetic.

Reality call here but ole is not the man for this job.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:I have listened to that interview and he sounded pathetic.

Reality call here but ole is not the man for this job.

I have to agree, although I think he will still be here at the start of next season in the Championship

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Cardiff City boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: We need a miracle to survive after my Crystal Palace plan failed
SaturdayApr 05, 2014 By Gareth Rogers

Solskjaer admitted his tactics did not work against Palace but refused to throw in the towel after this latest debacle
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer

Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits his team need a miracle to stay in the Premier League after a dire 3-0 home defeat to fellow strugglers Crystal Palace.

The former Manchester United striker, who put his most iconic football moment, scoring a last-gasp Champions League final winner against Bayern Munich, down to “never giving up” said: “If you can produce a miracle we are still capable of getting out of this.

“I’m full of fight.

“It’s been a tough season for everyone at the club.

“We showed a lack of belief at the end and ran out of ideas.”

But when asked by a Norwegian journalist whether his players shared his fight to stay in the top flight, Solskjaer laughed and said: “The players are desperate to stay up.

“Of course they want to stay in the league.

“This was very disappointing.

“We built it up to be a big game.

“I’m disappointed for the fans and the players. The players had prepared well all week.

“I have been here three months and I’ve got more energy and fight in me than ever.

“Being dropped to the bench galvanised me as a player and this situation galvanises me as a manager. Now things have to change.”

One thing Solskjaer did change for today’s game was starting with Mats Moller Daehli and Wilfried Zaha in the same attack-minded midfield.

While insisting the impressive Daehli will start more games in the run-in, a cloud hangs over the former Palace winger, who faded after a bright start on the right wing.

Solskjaer said: “I felt Wilf had some chances and was really positive but he and others ran out of belief after Palace’s second.

“I had to make a change and Nooney made something happen.

“Wilf is a strong character and it was a difficult game for him against his old club but he did his best and I can’t fault him.”

The inclusion of Zaha and Daehli meant central striker Fraizer Campbell moved out to the left wing to provide extra pace but the former striker admits moving his former Manchester United team-mate out wide was a mistake in hindsight.

He said: “I hold my hands up.

“I had a plan to play away from Palace’s strong central midfield but it didn’t work.

“It’s difficult to defend the performance.

“We lacked quality.

“We had some good attacks down the right but it took its toll in the second half.

When asked if this was the worst defeat of his short reign, Solskjaer simply said: “All defeats are horrible.

“It’s hard to say which is worse but today was very hard.”

But the Bluebirds boss refused to be totally downbeat, saying: “We still have something to fight for and the players have to realise that.

“If we win at Southampton we might be suddenly back in with a chance.”

No Shit Sherlock. You need more than a miracle mind .... your out your depth.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:55 pm

“I’m disappointed for the fans and the players. The players had prepared well all week"

I'll take that as the best football cliche response - managers cliche manual volume 1 chapter 2

Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:56 pm

plan :laughing6:

i wont be surprised if we take a few 3 or 4 nil beatings in the championship too

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:34 pm

One man is to blame for this whole bloody shambles of a season. Screwed up the management, Screwed up the once solid support. Will he learn his lesson when we go down? He'll blame himself about as much as Hitler blamed himself for interfering in his chief of staff's tactics. Tan the egomaniac is the mastermind of the rise and fall of Cardiff City.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:17 pm

Ayatollah Pies wrote:One man is to blame for this whole bloody shambles of a season. Screwed up the management, Screwed up the once solid support. Will he learn his lesson when we go down? He'll blame himself about as much as Hitler blamed himself for interfering in his chief of staff's tactics. Tan the egomaniac is the mastermind of the rise and fall of Cardiff City.

Agreed.....His ego ruined our shot at the premiership

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:37 pm

Ole and his teams performance were a complete disgrace to the City of Cardiff and all fans who have had to endure this game today.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Tan is 99% to blame.
But despite all Tan's efforts the fact is that with a decent manager with a plan e.g Pulis we would have stayed up. The number of opportunities we've thrown away through ridiculous tactics and under motivated players is ridiculous.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:54 pm

Daft Dave wrote:
Ayatollah Pies wrote:One man is to blame for this whole bloody shambles of a season. Screwed up the management, Screwed up the once solid support. Will he learn his lesson when we go down? He'll blame himself about as much as Hitler blamed himself for interfering in his chief of staff's tactics. Tan the egomaniac is the mastermind of the rise and fall of Cardiff City.

Agreed.....His ego ruined our shot at the premiership

There lies the answer. Mot Malky's fault, Not Ole's fault. VT's fault with a little help from those who bent over and took it up the arse from him over a year.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:08 am

What tactics we never look like we have a gameplan or if we've done our homework in attacking the weak links in the opposition. We've become to open at the back under ole and can't see any improvements up front considering he was a striker

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:27 am

How can Tan be to blame ?

He's not playing on the pitch ?

He's bankrolling us and we are serving up shit ....

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:59 am

You nailed it mate . No self respecting manager would have took the role following the sacking of MM either . Ole seems completely out of his depth .

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:45 am

dsw110885 wrote:Tan is 99% to blame.
But despite all Tan's efforts the fact is that with a decent manager with a plan e.g Pulis we would have stayed up. The number of opportunities we've thrown away through ridiculous tactics and under motivated players is ridiculous.

agree :bluescarf:

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:14 am

No doubt Tan is the the route cause of most of our problems, but Ole is our current manager who picks the team & sorts the tactics & system.
He has failed in a big way as far as that goes, I've been surprised in previous games, was gobsmacked last week at West Brom and then yesterday's debacle put the tin hat on it.
Must win game, Do me a favour??
Shocking from the manager & spineless from most of the team!

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:34 pm

dsw110885 wrote:Nothing he ever says makes him sound in the least bit competent. OLE OUT

fool