Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Molde keeper Nyland would welcome Cardiff move

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:19 pm

The 23-year-old says he would be unable to turn down the chance to work with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer again, with the new boss reportedly close to also sealing a deal for Mats Moller

Molde goalkeeper Orjan Nyland has admitted he would not be able to turn down a move to Premier League outfit Cardiff City.

The 23-year-old has been linked with a move to the Welsh side to be reunited with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who led Molde to two Tippeligaen titles in a three-year stint at the Norwegian club.

Solskjaer is already expected to tie up deals for Molde's Mats Moller Daehli and Magnus Wolff Eikrem, who left the club for Heerenveen in the close-season.

The 40-year-old is now reportedly interested in a deal for Nyland and the Norway international would welcome the opportunity to switch to the Cardiff City Stadium, although he insists he has had no contact with Solskjaer.

"Cardiff [are] in the Premier League. I do not really need to say more than that," he told Romsdals Budstikke.

"But I have not heard anything about it in any case. As far as I know it's just rumours.

"I think it's natural that, when managers change clubs, then the players from his former club are linked. But personally I do not think anything of it at all."

Solskjaer began his tenure with a 2-1 victory over Newcastle United in the FA Cup third round on Saturday, and will take charge of his first league game at home to West Ham on Saturday.

Re: Molde keeper Nyland would welcome Cardiff move

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm

if he's better than Joe Lewis then why not! Moore has had good reports on him, and Lewis has been poor when he's played! off load him and bring this Nyland in!

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:25 pm

Waste of money IMO, but what do I know I never scored a winning champions league goal :D

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Do we really need another keeper? Marshall is class and is in top form at the moment, don't see any reason to add another keeper to the squad

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Like Cal said. If he is better than Joe Lewis then, why not?

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 pm

CalShepCCFC wrote:if he's better than Joe Lewis then why not! Moore has had good reports on him, and Lewis has been poor when he's played! off load him and bring this Nyland in!

his only league fixture was Hull. I thought he played really well.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 pm

Thought he done well v Hull as well.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Very unsure about this signing.

But Lewis has done a good job when called upon, especially against Hull. Additionally, from the development games I have seen so far this season, Moore has done a terrific job and is one for the future.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:08 pm

Any player from that league would.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:09 pm

azz_ccfc wrote:Very unsure about this signing.

But Lewis has done a good job when called upon, especially against Hull. Additionally, from the development games I have seen so far this season, Moore has done a terrific job and is one for the future.

Agree with the above.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 pm

Keep marshy on his toes. Would be a great signing. Two national keepers competing for first team football.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 pm

CalShepCCFC wrote:if he's better than Joe Lewis then why not! Moore has had good reports on him, and Lewis has been poor when he's played! off load him and bring this Nyland in!

Bit harsh on Lewis. He did well at Hull.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:22 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:Keep marshy on his toes. Would be a great signing. Two national keepers competing for first team football.

Just because he's a national keeper doesn't necessarily make him a good keeper. I think the competition being provided by Moore and Lewis is keeping Marshall on his toes as it is.

Even when called upon this season, Lewis did a terrific job against Hull.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Not sure we need a new keeper but his write up sounds promising

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:29 pm

Marshall to Gunners.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 pm

There's no way he's better then Marshall.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:31 am

Bluebird86 wrote:There's no way he's better then Marshall.

Definitely not, but that's not what it's about. He's a young goalie who has made absolutely incredible progress the past two years. He obviously still has tons of potential. Would be a great backup and probably a future starter for a good Championship/poor PL team.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:03 am

Marshall is going to be snapped up most likely. Can see a club or two putting in a bid for him.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 am

JB39. wrote:Marshall is going to be snapped up most likely. Can see a club or two putting in a bid for him.

Precisely, don't take Marshall for granted, he's going to be a hot target for a few bigger clubs that he will want to go to, then one day you may need a new number 1.

Nyland can be bought comparatively for less than you can sell Marshall for, which means you will be left with a net profit and a much better goalkeeper, probably top 5 worldwide, in the future. (Yes I truly believe Nyland can be one of the world's 5 best goalkeepers when he's fully matured)

Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:46 am

hexecutive wrote:
JB39. wrote:Marshall is going to be snapped up most likely. Can see a club or two putting in a bid for him.

Precisely, don't take Marshall for granted, he's going to be a hot target for a few bigger clubs that he will want to go to, then one day you may need a new number 1.

Nyland can be bought comparatively for less than you can sell Marshall for, which means you will be left with a net profit and a much better goalkeeper, probably top 5 worldwide, in the future. (Yes I truly believe Nyland can be one of the world's 5 best goalkeepers when he's fully matured)

I agree with everything you said except from the top 5 thing. Sounds very optimistic to me, but of course I hope you're right! He has possibly the best reflexes I've seen in a goalie his age in a while. The highlight video of course speaks for itself, especially considering ALL those highlights are from one season alone!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 am

MathiasB wrote:

Definitely not, but that's not what it's about. He's a young goalie who has made absolutely incredible progress the past two years. He obviously still has tons of potential. Would be a great backup and probably a future starter for a good Championship/poor PL team.

All that great progress will be lost when he's sitting on the bench.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 am

We don't need another goalkeeper and his talent would be wasted if he sits on the bench most of the time

Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:38 am

Keep the keepers British.

Marshall will be here for years still and Moore is a great prospect. No need for this at all.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Is OGS to goalkeepers what Malky was to right backs!

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:21 pm

If Solskjær can get him before his price skyrockets Neuer style, I think he will, and instead let him go on loan to a better club than Molde anyway for the experience for the initial season or two.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:42 pm

hexecutive wrote:If Solskjær can get him before his price skyrockets Neuer style, I think he will, and instead let him go on loan to a better club than Molde anyway for the experience for the initial season or two.

surely for goalkeeping experience, you want to send him somewhere really rubbish!! :lol:

Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:53 pm

I dont see the need for a keeper. The limited times ive seen Lewis Ive not been impressed but he is fine as number 2 for now.
Maybe this would allow for Moore to go out on loan?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 pm

You could argue that he was MOTM against Hull...

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:58 pm

Bluebird86 wrote:
MathiasB wrote:

All that great progress will be lost when he's sitting on the bench.

Who says he'll be on the bench? Marshall's might not stay forever, and a loan doesn't seem very unlikely. Why not get him while he's cheap?

Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Moore is settling in and has done for a few months.

Doing well for the DVP, Lewis is warming the bench ready for the chance.

We don't need a keeper personally.