Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Men of Harlech (campaign to learn the words)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

shinyBlueGlue wrote:Not a football chant at all

Its not supposed to be a chant, more a pre match song to loosen up those vocal cords

Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Wrexham is closer to Harlech

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:42 pm

JBCCFC1927 wrote:Put it on the TV's and the club should give out song sheets at the first few games. Once most keep it up then the others will join on. The problem is getting people to get it going as a thing.

The words were in every home program last season.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Why not put the words up on the new video screens! Simples!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:55 pm

Liverpool and Celtic sing YNWA
Stoke sing Delliah
ECT - It doesn't have to be a football related song.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:47 pm

Its planned to screen the words on the high level LED boards on all 4 sides of the ground. It will be a new high tech experience this season.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:57 pm

I won't have to mime then

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:01 pm

Better than "Stand up if you hate Swansea," or "In the Swansea Slums!" :D

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 pm

I cannot think of one good reason why people would be against this!

A few beers, Men or Harlech, then kick off! What could be better!

We need something to get CSS rocking! Atmosphere is NOTHING like the Ninian park days!

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Bit embarrassing in my view if you have to display the words on a screen. Plenty of piss taking from visiting fans me thinks.

Football songs/chants should be short, dynamic and easy to sing. I suspect Men of Harlech doesn't fit the bill. Something like Hey Jude probably does.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:46 pm

robinsonisgod7 wrote:
JBCCFC1927 wrote:Put it on the TV's and the club should give out song sheets at the first few games. Once most keep it up then the others will join on. The problem is getting people to get it going as a thing.

Not everyone buys a programme. Most people keep their money so they can afford a pint of the watered down piss they serve before games.
:laughing6:

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:20 pm

powysblue1969 wrote:Better suggestion from "007" - more personal to Cardiff and only change a few words -

Men of Harlech could be replaced by Fans of Cardiff (not to be sexist - heavens forbid !!!)

Fans of Cardiff stop your dreaming
Can't you hear their voices screaming
See their warrior pennants streaming
To this football-field
Fans of Cardiff stand ye steady
It cannot be ever said ye
For the battle we’re not ready
Welshmen never yield

From the hills rebounding (clap clap)
Let this song be sounding (clap clap)
Summon all the Bluebirds call
The mighty force surrounding
Fans of Cardiff on to glory
This will ever be your story
Keep these burning words before ye
Welshmen will not yield

Blooobirds :malky: :malky: :malky:

Really like this :ayatollah:

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Just learnt the words for this, took me 20 mins. Not really that long, will be belting this out and the Man City game now.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 pm

bakerbluebird wrote:
Dahboy wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:I think I read the club will be putting the words on the big screens too?

That would help :ayatollah:

Sorry Gav but it is shit and cringe worthy when ever I here this at a game. It is to slow and drawn out.

too slow and drawn out?

What about 'You'll never Walk alone"

When youuuu waaaaaaaaaalk
through a storrrrrrm
hoooold your haaaaaaaandds
up highhhhhhhhhhh

Seems slow and drawn out but their fans don't care - it is what makes Liverpool, Liverpool

Perhaps we could introduce somthing camp like "I'm forever blowing bubbles" if you want cheery?

I was laughing when I read this took the words right out of my mouth ;-)

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:38 pm

steve borley wrote:Its planned to screen the words on the high level LED boards on all 4 sides of the ground. It will be a new high tech experience this season.

Brilliant cant wait

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:08 am

Set as your wallpaper and learn the words before the first game. I know the game will be on the screens but its going to be a bit embarrassing if everyone is looking at the screens because they dont know the words to their own club anthem.

Learn the words before. :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:29 am

ianmackay88 wrote:I don't currently know the words but am committed to learn thm before Man City game. We should spread this out on twitter etc as much as possible. It would be immense if the whole stadium sang it and it would knock the opposition back as well, very intimidating for them.

Just think about the Wales v England rugby game in the last 6 nations. Most of the Millenium sang the national anthem and the English team basically shat themselves bottled it and we absolutely hammered them. I know it's Rugby and not Football so don't jump on me because of that but the idea is transferrable.

Men of Harlech is our anthem and should be sung with the same pride as the national anthem.

They were scared of people singing so lost?

It seems our friends for the capital are having an identity crisis...

Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:39 am

Its important that we realise the 'Harlech' signifies the whole of Wales.
It is where Owain Glyndwr fought from. Also used through history by welsh regiments in the british army.

This version is not anti english (doesnt contain the line 'saxons courage fading').

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:18 am

JamesC wrote:I cannot think of one good reason why people would be against this!

A few beers, Men or Harlech, then kick off! What could be better!

We need something to get CSS rocking! Atmosphere is NOTHING like the Ninian park days!

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and as someone has already said the words are in the programme - looks like a "Peters Pie" ad but they are there :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :old:

Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 am

steve borley wrote:Its planned to screen the words on the high level LED boards on all 4 sides of the ground. It will be a new high tech experience this season.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve, great idea! I wonder if you can ask barry mac to stick it in the matchday programme too?

@JB Thanks for producing that flyer, I wonder if my employer will mind me printing off 27000 copies :lol:

Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:27 am

MilkyJoe wrote:
ianmackay88 wrote:I don't currently know the words but am committed to learn thm before Man City game. We should spread this out on twitter etc as much as possible. It would be immense if the whole stadium sang it and it would knock the opposition back as well, very intimidating for them.

Just think about the Wales v England rugby game in the last 6 nations. Most of the Millenium sang the national anthem and the English team basically shat themselves bottled it and we absolutely hammered them. I know it's Rugby and not Football so don't jump on me because of that but the idea is transferrable.

Men of Harlech is our anthem and should be sung with the same pride as the national anthem.

You wouldn't understand coming from your tiny shed of a stadium, you carry on singing your Rugby songs. :wave:

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 am

ianmackay88 wrote:
MilkyJoe wrote:

You wouldn't understand coming from your tiny shed of a stadium, you carry on singing your Rugby songs. :wave:

I wouldnt understand what? How you lose your identity.

Spot on i wouldnt, we would never allow it.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:26 am

MilkyJoe wrote:
ianmackay88 wrote:
MilkyJoe wrote:

Never mind that, have you learned the words yet?

Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:44 am

Tan has said the words will only be put on the big screens if the line in the song is changed from 'from the hills rebounding to rebranding :lol: :lol: :lol: '

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Gavin wrote:@JB Thanks for producing that flyer, I wonder if my employer will mind me printing off 27000 copies :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:44 pm

MilkyJoe wrote:
ianmackay88 wrote:
MilkyJoe wrote:

"Men of Swansea, your all shity
Full of Gypos in your City
All your women aren't too pretty
Council always pay".

Chorus

"To the Caravan Park
Find a fuckin loan shark
never pay, till gyro day
with your cut off fuckin electric in the cold dark"
Most of you are Gay".

criticise that you jack tw*t :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:08 pm

Never fails to send shivers down my spine when this plays before the game. Would superb if everyone knew the words. It would really set the tone for the rest of the game. Itching for the season to start now.

Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:09 pm

eddiep wrote:
MilkyJoe wrote:
ianmackay88 wrote:
MilkyJoe wrote:

Council always pay".

Chorus

"To the Caravan Park
Find a fuckin loan shark
never pay, till gyro day
with your cut off fuckin electric in the cold dark"
Most of you are Gay".

criticise that you jack tw*t :lol: :lol: :lol: :ayatollah:

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:18 pm

I know the words of by heart!Love the Song! CCFC

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:08 am

JBCCFC1927 wrote:
robinsonisgod7 wrote:

Not everyone buys a programme. Most people keep their money so they can afford a pint of the watered down piss they serve before games.
:laughing6:

I had a pint at the Bilbao game that tasted like it had been left on the side since the promotion party! :lol: