Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Shirt sponsorship

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:17 am

With the club going into the Premiership now I would 'imagine' that there is far more interest in sponsorship for the coming season.However 'if' a company come in and offered more than what the present shirt deal is worth then because of Tan would you think they'd even accept it..?

I know its more of wanting people opinions rather than ITK answers but I would have thought that because the club is now in the Premier League then the shirt sponsorship deal 'should' be more expensive to Malaysia surely..?

Re: Shirt sponsorship

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:26 am

We have no idea what the current sponsorship figure is and it is not Tan sponsoring us ,as far as I am aware,it is Visit Malaysia ie The Malaysian Government.I assume sponsorship deals run for a contractual time of 1 year or more and you cannot change them at a drop of a hat so this will run for this season at least.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:28 am

RobJr wrote:We have no idea what the current sponsorship figure is and it is not Tan sponsoring us ,as far as I am aware,it is Visit Malaysia ie The Malaysian Government.I assume sponsorship deals run for a contractual time of 1 year or more and you cannot change them at a drop of a hat so this will run for this season at least.

That 'could' be the issue but surely like everything else there would have been a clause in the deal saying that if the club got promoted then the figures would have to be reviewed surely.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:29 am

Is having Malaysia on our shirts our way of getting around the FIFA financial fair play rules? Because nobody will know how much we are being sponsored?

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:32 am

Military Junta wrote:
RobJr wrote:We have no idea what the current sponsorship figure is and it is not Tan sponsoring us ,as far as I am aware,it is Visit Malaysia ie The Malaysian Government.I assume sponsorship deals run for a contractual time of 1 year or more and you cannot change them at a drop of a hat so this will run for this season at least.

That 'could' be the issue but surely like everything else there would have been a clause in the deal saying that if the club got promoted then the figures would have to be reviewed surely.

I think the deal was done after we got promoted.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:37 am

RobJr wrote:
Military Junta wrote:

I think the deal was done after we got promoted.

Yeah the 'visit' was put on wasn't it. However when they first had Malaysia on the shirts in 2011 they did turn down offers because they only wanted Malaysia on the tops and was wondering if people thought that it would be the same this time around: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foot ... rs-1828035

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:38 am

I always assumed the sponsorship was free as Tan thought the advertising and potential growth at home outweighs any company coming in with cash.

I think he will turn away all but a massive offer for shirt sponsorship as it helps his businesses back home.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 am

Wayne S wrote:I always assumed the sponsorship was free as Tan thought the advertising and potential growth at home outweighs any company coming in with cash.

I think he will turn away all but a massive offer for shirt sponsorship as it helps his businesses back home.

:shock: :shock:

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:40 am

If a company is willing to pay more than whatever we get currently, then I am sure he will take it.