Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

' KIMBO SCORES AS BLUEBIRDS IMPRESS ' Match Report

Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Cardiff City 1 - 0 Chievo

Sat 3rd August 2013

Cardiff City's preparations for the Premier League remained firmly on track with an excellent win over Serie A side Chievo Verona.

The Bluebirds emerged the winners in front of a sparse crowd in the Welsh capital thanks to a 57th minute goal from South Korean international Kim Bo-Kyung.

Malky Mackay handed a debut to record-signing Steven Caulker, with the £9m-man coming off the bench on the hour to replace captain Mark Hudson in the heart of the home defence. Right-back John Brayford was also handed a home debut in a match which, after a cagey first-half, finally burst into some kind of life in the second period.

Early on chances were hard to come by for both sides. In the first period the Bluebirds best chances all came from distance with Don Cowie, Craig Noone and Tommy Smith all seeing shots go over.

But it was Chievo who had the best opportunities in the opening 45 minutes. Just before the half-hour the Bluebirds were grateful to Ben Turner who cleared Sergio Pellissier's shot off the line after the Chievo captain had rounded David Marshall in the home goal.

On 36 minutes the visitors came close again. Cyril Thereau put in the corner and Maxwell Acosty was left virtually unmarked in the box, but somehow conspired to head over.

In the second-half though Mackay's men seized the advantage. Straight after the restart Peter Whittingham sent Chievo goalkeeper Lorenzo Squizzi sprawling to his left to turn a free-kick around the post. Then on 53 minutes Squizzi was forced into further heroics as Whittingham's low free-kick got a lovely touch from Kim and needed a good save.

Minutes later Whittingham was unlucky to see his effort glance off the bar but the Bluebirds, now very much in control, were not to be denied, and when on 57 minutes Noone saw his shot saved the ball fell to Kim to lash home from close range. It was no more than Cardiff deserved.

But the Bluebirds should really have been punished at the back for a little bit too much dithering late on. On 79 minutes Alberto Paloschi drew a good save from Marshall and then Adrian Stoian saw his follow-up shot hit the post. The Bluebirds held on and entertain Athletic Bilbao in their final pre-season friendly at home next Saturday.

Re: KIMBO SCORES AS BLUEBIRDS IMPRESS

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Fairplay he was on fire today, was also impressed when Caulker came on what a beast of a guy.

Re: ' KIMBO SCORES AS BLUEBIRDS IMPRESS ' Match Report

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:27 pm

:ayatollah: :malky: :D

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:28 pm

3 in 4 now for Kimbo? He seems to be getting better and better. :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:49 pm

I was very proud of the team today. They showed very good teamwork and stayed tight almost throughout the game against a good side in Chievo. It was good to see John play as well. He has a very bright future ahead of him! Kimbo was at the centre of everything for Cardiff and didn't let down. I felt Whittingham could have done a bit better when it comes to having the courage to shoot. But overall a very good day!

:ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:52 pm

David Marshall was incredibly dodgy today though to be fair

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:01 pm

Cheivo were no mugs,they played some nice football. Campbell looked sharp and will thrive when playing with cornelius im sure
Glad Malky gave 90 mins to young Declan John,hes a far way off the finished product and is a winger not a left back for me, but playing with the 1st team can only improve him
Nice to get a clean sheet aswell

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:33 pm

englishbluebird wrote:Cheivo were no mugs,they played some nice football. Campbell looked sharp and will thrive when playing with cornelius im sure
Glad Malky gave 90 mins to young Declan John,hes a far way off the finished product and is a winger not a left back for me, but playing with the 1st team can only improve him
Nice to get a clean sheet aswell

Agree Declan is better going forward but his career is only starting so how could he be the finished product.This boy has a massive future ahead of him :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:34 pm

I was really impressed with Declan John. Very composed and was seeing problems quickly.

I was going to say how Mutch worked his socks off all game and always wanted the ball, however I only noticed when he left the field that it was Cowie. So well done Cowie seen I usually berate you.

Note to self. Take more notice during friendlies.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 pm

i wouldnt use the word impress,thought noone was the best. kimbo done a few of his tricks. just a fitness game, too many subs to let the game flow, i think we as fans would have kicked off with there player on the floor acting injured.then we go on to score :lol: the game was ok. something to do on a saturday afternoon :ayatollah:

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:55 pm

thought peter Whittingham had a good game today he was a forgotten man last season and if malky wants to use him to spray the ball around the pitch might very well work well as he might get more time to do it in the premiership i enjoyed the game today good to see gunnerson out on the pitch as well he might be close to starting soon good day out

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Now win but I don't do friendlies ,no soul

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:42 pm

Cult of Personality wrote:David Marshall was incredibly dodgy today though to be fair

& he was outstanding ALL of last season. :?

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:46 am

The mindset of players is different in a friendly. Its all about fitness and movement But for
someone like Declan its a big opportunity and to be fair he grabbed it with both hands. He
looks a real find. I can see him getting 90 minutes next week too now, in time for the
West Ham game. Massive chance for him, but why not? Malky will be looking at his talent
and his temperament not his age

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Malky Mackay could be without record signing Andreas Cornelius for the Premier League kick-off, writes Matt Lloyd.

Mackay splashed £8million for the 20-year-old Danish international – then the biggest fee paid by the club.

But the striker is in danger of missing the Bluebirds’ first game back in the top flight for 51 years after he damaged his ankle in training.

Mackay said: “We’re working on him to get him back for the start of the season. I would be guessing right now if he will be fit for the first game but we still have two weeks.”

Craig Bellamy also missed Saturday’s 1-0 win over Serie A regulars AC Chievo-Verona after he was laid low by an illness. But South Korean midfielder Kim Bo-Kyung proved he could be a surprise goal-scorer this season after hitting the target for a third game in a row.

Stephen Caulker made his debut off the bench following a £9m move from Spurs.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... z2b2jPUcYv