Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

FAO OF SINCE 62

Fri May 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Whats your genuine thoughts on the news about Tan floating us on the stock exchange.

We seem to have an abundance of financial experts on the following thread who can only see it as a negative move and the outcome for us is only doom and gloom, as always. :evil:

http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewtopi ... 6&t=139070

Whats your opinion. :?:

Re: FAO OF SINCE 62

Fri May 24, 2013 12:15 pm

I know I'm not of since 62 but it simply means Tan is looking for extra investors in Cardiff. He has always wanted to attract other rich men in the Asian region and by rebranding us and getting us into the Premier League, his business plan to make us the team Asia gets behind is on track. He is now looking for people to share and invest in his vision.

If it comes off it will be another step towards becoming a very big club.

No surprise that our rivals see it as negative, the other way around and we would probably be looking at it with tinted specs as well.

Fri May 24, 2013 12:31 pm

nobby wrote:Whats your genuine thoughts on the news about Tan floating us on the stock exchange.

We seem to have an abundance of financial experts on the following thread who can only see it as a negative move and the outcome for us is only doom and gloom, as always. :evil:

Lol don't read fukall into anything they say on that site. They will only ever see impending doom and gloom for us, because they so badly want us to go to the wall, they are blinded by their shear hatred for us, especially now we are promoted and spoilt their time in the sun. They are jacks after all. Daft kunts have been coming out with the same bollox for the last God knows how many years. I'm no expert, but I doubt very much tan would take any un necessary risks seeing as he's got so much invested in us

Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 pm

mjw6150 wrote:I know I'm not of since 62 but it simply means Tan is looking for extra investors in Cardiff. He has always wanted to attract other rich men in the Asian region and by rebranding us and getting us into the Premier League, his business plan to make us the team Asia gets behind is on track. He is now looking for people to share and invest in his vision.

If it comes off it will be another step towards becoming a very big club.

No surprise that our rivals see it as negative, the other way around and we would probably be looking at it with tinted specs as well.

Agree. This is the way I see it. :thumbup:
Always thought he intended to "sell it on" in full or part. So no surprise there.

Financially it could/maybe be massive.
Jerks upset as no one interested in their tinpot brown town

Fri May 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Its a great idea. If an investor can buy into Cardiff for a fair deal which will happen on the SE then we may get someone on board who can go big on transfers. The reason a lot of investors are put off is stupid asking prices of owners who want to make a big profit off the back of them. The SE wont really allow for that and I think a good deal will be able to had. The question is, will there be an investor willing to take a risk or are we considered too small to put the effort into by some?

Fri May 24, 2013 2:04 pm

nobby wrote:Whats your genuine thoughts on the news about Tan floating us on the stock exchange.

The truth is I have only had chance to look at this in the last hour or so as I was in a meeting early this morning when BBC phoned me (I would have been half asleep at 7 20 anyway on a Friday!) and left my phone on silent for most of the morning in other meetings so had a list of media people to phone back and have only just completed that.

The initial reaction to the Reuters report is that it is undoubtedly true , but very "woolly" in that it only says a share placing is a possibility , attaches no timescale to it and also says it may not eventually be on the Malaysian Bursa but may be elsewhere. If in Malaysia , that seems a little strange (a comment made by a business Professor at one of the Cardiff Universities in an interview this morning) as that is a very small market compared to Singapore (which is literally next door) , Hong Kong , Shanghai (if the idea is to attract Chinese money) etc.

I am not an expert on the Malaysian stock market and , because of the time difference , have not been able to speak today to any of my colleagues in Malaysia who are. It may be the case that the costs and local rules in Malaysia make it easier to issue a share placement there rather than the other places I mention. I will try and find out over the next few days.

If a placement is going to take place , I confess to having some concerns about its likely success. That concern is based upon the track record of lack of success of other football club floats over the years , including Manchester United`s withdrawal of a similar share placing in Singapore quite recently due to a lack of interest from potential investors. If they can`t do it with their worldwide reputation and track record of success , what suggests we could do better?

Any successful IPO share offering should be of benefit to Cardiff City as a club. Either new shares will have to be issued and offered , with the proceeds going to the company to pay down some of its debts or VT , Langstone etc. will convert some or all of their existing debts into shares and get their money back by offering them for sale in an IPO - they will get the cash , but the club will get a reduction in the debt it owes by their share conversion. If Langstone converts all its debt ,VT will have to at least match the value of debt written off or his %age shareholding will be greatly diluted.

Keith

Fri May 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Have to agree Keith, I can't see any institutional interest in a placement. As a club we are not profitable, due diligence of any stock exchange listing would require full disclosure on Langston I think, we have yet yet to play a premiership game so there is the risk of relegation, I just can't see it for at least a few years and then the financials still have to add up
The only way it may happen is if VT is somehow able to roll the club up into a subsidiary of Berjaya and potentially floats it off that way

Fri May 24, 2013 3:08 pm

If Tan and his business partners invested in us now and turned us into the next Man City/ Chelsea, would they make more money than investing in a end product like Man Utd?

Fri May 24, 2013 3:30 pm

SingaporeBlue wrote:Have to agree Keith, I can't see any institutional interest in a placement. As a club we are not profitable, due diligence of any stock exchange listing would require full disclosure on Langston I think, we have yet yet to play a premiership game so there is the risk of relegation, I just can't see it for at least a few years and then the financials still have to add up
The only way it may happen is if VT is somehow able to roll the club up into a subsidiary of Berjaya and potentially floats it off that way

I have now looked into this a little further and can`t see how CCFC Holdings can qualify to apply for an IPO in Malaysia for several years.

To apply for an IPO it needs to demonstrate an unbroken track record of profits for between 3 and 5 years , with atotal profit of at least RM20m over the period , including at least RM6m over the latest year. Certainly wouldn`t qualify on that basis.

Alternatively , the applicant must show a market capitilisation of at least RM 500m (again nowhere near) or be involved in an infrastructure project of value at least RM500m (doesn`t apply to CCFC).

There is a rule allowing a company to apply if it is part of a group which does meet the financial requirements , but that rule says the applicant or the group company must operate in the same core business and have common controlling shareholders over the 3 to 5 year qualifying period (again not applicable in the case of CCFC).

So it seems any IPO float in Malaysia will have to be some way off in the future , if it happens at all.

Being a bit cynical (which I am ) people might think that this "suggestion" of a float is just part of the negotiation posturing with Sam/Langstone to make him believe there is a big profit to be made by agreeing to convert his debt to shares whileas in reality that possibility is a bit "Emperor`s new clothes".

Keith

Sat May 25, 2013 6:59 pm

since62 wrote:

The truth is I have only had chance to look at this in the last hour or so as I was in a meeting early this morning when BBC phoned me (I would have been half asleep at 7 20 anyway on a Friday!) and left my phone on silent for most of the morning in other meetings so had a list of media people to phone back and have only just completed that.

The initial reaction to the Reuters report is that it is undoubtedly true , but very "woolly" in that it only says a share placing is a possibility , attaches no timescale to it and also says it may not eventually be on the Malaysian Bursa but may be elsewhere. If in Malaysia , that seems a little strange (a comment made by a business Professor at one of the Cardiff Universities in an interview this morning) as that is a very small market compared to Singapore (which is literally next door) , Hong Kong , Shanghai (if the idea is to attract Chinese money) etc.

I am not an expert on the Malaysian stock market and , because of the time difference , have not been able to speak today to any of my colleagues in Malaysia who are. It may be the case that the costs and local rules in Malaysia make it easier to issue a share placement there rather than the other places I mention. I will try and find out over the next few days.

If a placement is going to take place , I confess to having some concerns about its likely success. That concern is based upon the track record of lack of success of other football club floats over the years , including Manchester United`s withdrawal of a similar share placing in Singapore quite recently due to a lack of interest from potential investors. If they can`t do it with their worldwide reputation and track record of success , what suggests we could do better?

Any successful IPO share offering should be of benefit to Cardiff City as a club. Either new shares will have to be issued and offered , with the proceeds going to the company to pay down some of its debts or VT , Langstone etc. will convert some or all of their existing debts into shares and get their money back by offering them for sale in an IPO - they will get the cash , but the club will get a reduction in the debt it owes by their share conversion. If Langstone converts all its debt ,VT will have to at least match the value of debt written off or his %age shareholding will be greatly diluted.

Keith

Thanks for the reply Keith, much appreciated. :ayatollah: