Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Vincent Tan interview CHANGING OUR NAME

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Stay as long as you like, this is an open forum :ayatollah: Its good that fans of other clubs see the dangers for football as a whole. But sadly, Billy the Seal is no longer with us :(

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

White Fan Man (LUFC) wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:
White Fan Man (LUFC) wrote:What is the price of a soul...?

You've rolled over easily once, so he thinks you'll do it again.... and you probably will.

You've already sold out your heritage, for the promise of a £100m loan. He's treating you like mugs. Bluebirds? Not any more. A proud Welsh club? No, just a very insignificant part of some mad Eastern business man's empire.

Get some backbone - fight for yourselves. This is bigger than Cardiff City, it's for the soul of football. Do you want to become as big a joke as MkDons? Because you will be. They moved 63 miles from Wimbledon. 63 miles from Cardiff puts you somewhere between Swindon and Newbury - he'll see that as much better, because of the easier access from London.

Red shirts? Mugs. You've rolled over, and everybody expected better. Proud to be Welsh? Nah, you can't say that... unless you can prove it.

LUFC for life, but please, don't mess this up - it's Cardiff CITY we love to beat.

Like you guys did in 1961?

1962, actually, but I take your point. But those were different times, different circumstances - most of all because the vast majority of fans WANTED the change. And we won't ever be anything other than Leeds United AFC - our fans wouldn't allow it. Yours probably will. I hope not.

Yep very true.

You can stay on the board if you want. We do have a number of Leeds fans on here. One particularly well we are not sure if he is or nor, perhaps you will be able to suss him out.

Yes but there is a condition for you to stay and that is you promise not to beat up our keeper if we ever play you again.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Stay as long as you like, this is an open forum :ayatollah: Its good that fans of other clubs see the dangers for football as a whole. But sadly, Billy the Seal is no longer with us :(

RIP Billy.

You'll never be forgotten - especially the time you floated out of your pond in the floods, and were found swimming down Queen Street.

'Cardiff City Seals' is the way to go - Cardiff history, a badge that you can be proud of, and you'll be able to tap into the lucrative South Atlantic market. I long to see fans wearing Cardiff shirts on the streets of South Georgia, and the beaches of Antarctica.... Live the dream.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:05 pm

I think its catchy, "GO DRAGONS! GO DRAGONS!" :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol: :ayatollah: :lol:

Seriously though, Mr Tan is having a laugh and hope you change his mind this time.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:08 pm

Dont like the red but just accepted it as I didn't care wot colour we playin as we wete still Cardiff City the bluebirds but I said I would never by a red top or any new club stuff with that silly badge on it. BUT IF DOES CHANGE R NAME THEN THATS ME DONE WITH THE CITY. I will follow them anymore if this happens

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Dont like the red but just accepted it as I didn't care wot colour we playin as we wete still Cardiff City the bluebirds but I said I would never by a red top or any new club stuff with that silly badge on it. BUT IF DOES CHANGE R NAME THEN THATS ME DONE WITH THE CITY. I will follow them anymore if this happens

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:Stay as long as you like, this is an open forum :ayatollah: Its good that fans of other clubs see the dangers for football as a whole. But sadly, Billy the Seal is no longer with us :(

RIP Billy.

You'll never be forgotten - especially the time you floated out of your pond in the floods, and were found swimming down Queen Street.

'Cardiff City Seals' is the way to go - Cardiff history, a badge that you can be proud of, and you'll be able to tap into the lucrative South Atlantic market. I long to see fans wearing Cardiff shirts on the streets of South Georgia, and the beaches of Antarctica.... Live the dream.

Well,.............compared to the Malaysians, you talk a lot of sense. Not sure that Billy made it as far as Queen Street, but at least he's part of our history and culture :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 pm

He talks about you as a brand and a product in the interviews. I really feel bad for you. I can't imagine how I'd feel if this were happening to us.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Cardiff Dragons Football Club are "Welcome to Wales' first and only LGBT-friendly Football Club."

http://cardiffdragonsfc.co.uk/

Here's an idea, why doesn't a fans group invest in this team on condition that they copyright the name and sue Tan if he tries to register a similar name?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:35 pm

He can do what he likes, he feel he has a mandate from the fans as so many of us, including me, renewed. He doesn't care about the fans, he won't listen to us because he knows we will roll over eventually whatever he does to our club. We should have fought him last summer but instead we rested on our laurels and lapped up the Premier league dream.

This is the price we have paid sadly.

:old:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 pm

https://twitter.com/welsh_football/stat ... 4952737793

look at this! :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 pm

Bluebird since 1948 wrote:He can do what he likes, he feel he has a mandate from the fans as so many of us, including me, renewed. He doesn't care about the fans, he won't listen to us because he knows we will roll over eventually whatever he does to our club. We should have fought him last summer but instead we rested on our laurels and lapped up the Premier league dream.

This is the price we have paid sadly.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
054123 wrote:Bristol City fan here in peace, but feel free to insult if you wish!

I have to admit it was a giggle at the start, but it's going to far now. The ramifications of this are deeper than just Cardiff. The precidents that are being set mean we are all just one mad cap owner away from having everything we loved and grew up with being ripped apart for the sake of a few quid.

The Premier League is a big con perpetuated by Sky, the Murdoch press and the big 4. It isn't that great. Your long revered club is much more important than the division they play in.

I think this could be the tipping point for a lot of fans from different clubs in that it's not funny, it's just plain wrong.

I'll be interested to see what you decide as fans to do.

Good post. It does go beyond Cardiff City, as you say. This could happen to any club, but it would happen to us! What has happened at Manchester City and Watford is not a million miles away. The difference is, of course, that their owners have some idea about football, and have not changed the colours and badge, based purely on Chinese superstition. Will next season's dragon be Welsh, or Chinese?

The Malaysians have done a lot of good. Saving us from going into administration, probably; getting rid of the egg-chasers from CCS; making a serious promotion push, although we are by no means there yet.

Is the price worth paying? Personally, I don't think so. But I suppose that blokes like me are not the future of football. Part of the 25% that the 'business' can afford to lose.

I think more than 25% will oppose any name change. We have to make that perfectly clear to him. :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Spike wrote:I'm a Bristol City fan (don't shoot yet) and I live in Cardiff, have done for almost 20 years now and I was shocked with the change to red but the name is a step too far, if there is a protest I suggest telling as many people as possible regardless of who they support.

If there is a protest I'll join you all, hell I'll even wear blue for a day.

Good man :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:50 pm

RichardBluebird wrote:"If the fans welcome me, I can stay for a long time," he said, promising a further £25m to manager Malky Mackay for new players should they go up.
"But if I find they are not welcoming and rude, then maybe I will find a new buyer and go off. But if I were to sell, I'd make sure I would leave it in good hands."

GOOD, piss off then and the sooner the better............... :ayatollah:

Nice one :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:58 pm

You've rolled over easily once, so he thinks you'll do it again.... and you probably will.

You've already sold out your heritage, for the promise of a £100m loan. He's treating you like mugs. Bluebirds? Not any more. A proud Welsh club? No, just a very insignificant part of some mad Eastern business man's empire.

Get some backbone - fight for yourselves. This is bigger than Cardiff City, it's for the soul of football. Do you want to become as big a joke as MkDons? Because you will be. They moved 63 miles from Wimbledon. 63 miles from Cardiff puts you somewhere between Swindon and Newbury - he'll see that as much better, because of the easier access from London.

Red shirts? Mugs. You've rolled over, and everybody expected better. Proud to be Welsh? Nah, you can't say that... unless you can prove it.

LUFC for life, but please, don't mess this up - it's Cardiff CITY we love to beat.

Your post is based on ignorance and a complete lack of understanding of the situation. Also......you never beat us :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm

You really do have my sympathies with this one, it seems Tan is determined to rip the arse out of Cardiff City, i suspect this is more to do with his Malaysian roots than the wish to make cardiff more well known in Asia

Best of luck with this lads

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... 8835#asset :roll:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

I hope he lets us play one game in the prem as the Cardiff City, otherwise we will only play in prem as Dragons and Cardiff will be in dustbin :evil:

Also people will mix us up with Newport Dragons :old:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Eric_from_Ely wrote:Also people will mix us up with Newport Dragons :old:

Clutching at straws here.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:26 pm

moonboots wrote:

I'd check out your own clubs history before you come on here spouting out your miss informed fanny.

Peacocks,,,,my arse!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:34 pm

This is f*cking laughable, but if im honest i feel sorry for you, the fans.

This guy is really taking the piss out of you now and obviously doesnt give a shyte about what the fans think or the traditions of the club, but the biggest surprise to me is how the cardiff (dragons) city fans are not expressing their feelings and revolting against what Tan is doing to your clubs tradition and history.

Oh and before anyone says it, id much rather be in 23rd with our traditions history and real name intact rather than buying our way to the prem at the expensive of all of that.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:45 pm

BristolCity wrote:This is f*cking laughable, but if im honest i feel sorry for you, the fans.

This guy is really taking the piss out of you now and obviously doesnt give a shyte about what the fans think or the traditions of the club, but the biggest surprise to me is how the cardiff (dragons) city fans are not expressing their feelings and revolting against what Tan is doing to your clubs tradition and history.

Oh and before anyone says it, id much rather be in 23rd with our traditions history and real name intact rather than buying our way to the prem at the expensive of all of that.

I take it then that you were opposed to England hosting the World Cup next year,,,,,& loosing out to a massive new redevelopment of a stadium for your club?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

RICK+CCFC wrote:
moonboots wrote:

I'd check out your own clubs history before you come on here spouting out your miss informed fanny.

Peacocks,,,,my arse!

Peacocks. Yes. Peacocks, and your point is....?

My club's history? What would you like to know?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:05 pm

moonboots wrote:

Your post is based on ignorance and a complete lack of understanding of the situation. Also......you never beat us :lol: :lol:

So what is ignorant about my post - what don't I understand?

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... agons.html

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:12 am

Protests won't do nothing, he can easily replace everyone who boycotts.

Face the facts and accept the truth.

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 am

DandoCCFC wrote:Protests won't do nothing, he can easily replace everyone who boycotts.

so we shouldn't protest? ballocks to that!! im not going down without a fight, everyone needs to man up and make this muppet walk, like he said if people are rude he'll walk and i don't mind being a horrible b*stard to him if it means we'll get our club back to the way it was! is premier league football more important than our name and identity? is it f**k, wake up and smell the coffee for f**k sake!

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 am

bluearmy1990 wrote:
DandoCCFC wrote:Protests won't do nothing, he can easily replace everyone who boycotts.

so we shouldn't protest? ballocks to that!! im not going down without a fight, everyone needs to man up and make this muppet walk, like he said if people are rude he'll walk and i don't mind being a horrible b*stard to him if it means we'll get our club back to the way it was! is premier league football more important than our name and identity? is it f**k, wake up and smell the coffee for f**k sake!

Now, THAT''S what I'm talkin' 'bout !! :malky:

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:40 am

bluearmy1990 wrote:

Now, THAT''S what I'm talkin' 'bout !! :malky:

In all fairness even if a protest does nothing to stop what Tan has planned it at least makes it a hell of a lot harder for him to make statements like "the majority of the fans are happy with the change", I mean how can he say that if there are thousands of fans outside the stadium in blue protesting it?

As a Bristol City fan who spends a lot of time talking to various fans from various clubs all around the UK the one thing I hear the most when Cardiff wearing red is mentioned is "they didn't even fight it" or "why didn't the fans stand against it?". I suppose the image to anyone outside Cardiff is that Cardiff City fans didn't stand against Tan and accepted him with no fight at all.

In my eyes the best thing you can do is find out the true numbers of people willing to stand against him and fight for the name or/and even the blue to return. Someone needs to contact Sky, contact big football shows like Match of the Day, The football league show and the most likely to take interest, Soccer AM and inform them of planned protests and see if you can get a spot on TV. Contact papers, make proper arrangements to protest, hand out flyers at the matches as people are leaving rather than going in, basically do something organised that unifies you all and make it seen.