Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Vincent Tan interview CHANGING OUR NAME

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am

A name change is not an overnight process.

It would take weeks to even attempt it.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 am

He's come across as a complete c**t in this interview.

Spoilt dictator prone to a hissy fit if things don't go his way.

My honest opinion? Tan can f**k right off. I'd rather be Cardiff in the Conference than the 'Dragons' in the Premier League.

F**k off Tan.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:54 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:100% you can change a clubs name, if the application us lodged with football and premier leagues in good time. This is the only real other rebrand he can do, we are going to be CDFC Cardiff Dragons football club. Cardiff City will be gone, this will be a brand new club for brand new supporters. A disgrace, I hope all that have been 100% behind the crazy rebrand are very happy now, I am sure they are as they don't understand what CCFC really means to the true supporters :oops: :cry: :oops:

I'm sorry but that's ridiculous. No one wanted the rebrand but most of us (including me) accepted it as we were on the brink of administration and it was the condition to get us out of the shit.

Over the season I have been behind the team, wearin my bluebirds scarf and accepting the red because the important thing is supporting the team.

To say that I am happy with a name change because I accepted the red kit is bullshit. As far as I'm concerned its a f*cking disgrace.

Might as well support another team than 'Cardiff dragons'

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:15 am

054123 wrote:Bristol City fan here in peace, but feel free to insult if you wish!

I have to admit it was a giggle at the start, but it's going to far now. The ramifications of this are deeper than just Cardiff. The precidents that are being set mean we are all just one mad cap owner away from having everything we loved and grew up with being ripped apart for the sake of a few quid.

The Premier League is a big con perpetuated by Sky, the Murdoch press and the big 4. It isn't that great. Your long revered club is much more important than the division they play in.

I think this could be the tipping point for a lot of fans from different clubs in that it's not funny, it's just plain wrong.

I'll be interested to see what you decide as fans to do.

Good post. It does go beyond Cardiff City, as you say. This could happen to any club, but it would happen to us! What has happened at Manchester City and Watford is not a million miles away. The difference is, of course, that their owners have some idea about football, and have not changed the colours and badge, based purely on Chinese superstition. Will next season's dragon be Welsh, or Chinese?

The Malaysians have done a lot of good. Saving us from going into administration, probably; getting rid of the egg-chasers from CCS; making a serious promotion push, although we are by no means there yet.

Is the price worth paying? Personally, I don't think so. But I suppose that blokes like me are not the future of football. Part of the 25% that the 'business' can afford to lose.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:18 am

Ultimately the decision to change the name is down to the FAW and the (fingers crossed) Premier League or Football league if we f**k it up from here.

Tan can ASK but he isn't the one that gives the ok on it.

Maybe a few letters and emails to the relevant authorises to pre empt such a move would be appropriate?

In my opinion however I don't believe it will happen. It sets a nasty precedent for all other premier league teams and will result in corporations buying in to football in the UK soley for advertising purposes i.e Manchester Red Bulls.

The league won't allow it to happen in order to protect the tradition of the premier and football league.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am

I can see the protest getting heated on the 1st.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:43 am

OhhhGa wrote:He's come across as a complete c**t in this interview.

Spoilt dictator prone to a hissy fit if things don't go his way.

My honest opinion? Tan can f**k right off. I'd rather be Cardiff in the Conference than the 'Dragons' in the Premier League.

F**k off Tan.

For once I agree with you. :malky:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:43 am

i've always advocated change on these forums, but still this name change could be tipping point. although its only a nickname 'cardiff dragons' bluebirds, the city, the cardiff. just take his money get promoted, stablise club on financial footing. we'll be in blue in no time. just ride the wave. :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :old: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah:

Furthermore, is it also about passing the torch to the next generation of young suppoerter and see where it takes them. my 9 year old is all cardiff and some of his friends, many of his football club training sessions are in cardiff strips as opposed to mancs, liverpool,etc. And to be honest when i was a kid growing up cardiff city fans were always stereo typed because of a minority of fan base. so perhaps its time to move on. but once again though lines must be drawn in the sand :old: :old: :old: :old:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 am

Another Bristol City fan in peace here. Ignore the username, as another BCFC fan has said on this thread, we don't find it funny any more.

The name change will happen, don't delude yourselves it won't.

This guy is ripping the heart out of your club, and the only way you will stop him is if you protest, boycott games and merchandise. 25,000 people wearing red scarves the other night, free or not, says this isnt going to happen unless you lot manup.

Here's the most telling part of his interview, for me:

"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.

"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority."

The 20/25% is the 4/5,000 hardcore from the 4th division days without which the 80% wouldn't have a Cardiff City, a Cardiff, or a Cardiff Dragons. That's the contempt he has for you. He's taking the piss, he doesn't care about anybody except himself.

Really hope you at least try to do something about what at the moment is inevitable if you don't.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:50 am

image.jpg
Message to tan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:54 am

So essentially they want to start a new club.

Ah well I'm sure Bridgend town could do with a new fan.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:56 am

For him to change our name at this stage would be an incredible gamble on his part.

Why? - Well if he does he would lose some of the fan base, that he presumes , maybe correctly, will be filled with new fans when we get to the Prem.

Now, playing devils advocate, say we do not stay in the Prem, he loses the new fans and those who have turned their back on the "Dragons". That will cost him money - something more than that would be the "uproar" of the whole fan base which would make him lose face.

I really feel that there will be no name change and it is just another "mind game" thing to keep the Red by accepting the lesser of the 2 evils!! :old:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 am

Just read the article, let's just say it's changed my opinion of him.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 am

What is the price of a soul...?

You've rolled over easily once, so he thinks you'll do it again.... and you probably will.

You've already sold out your heritage, for the promise of a £100m loan. He's treating you like mugs. Bluebirds? Not any more. A proud Welsh club? No, just a very insignificant part of some mad Eastern business man's empire.

Get some backbone - fight for yourselves. This is bigger than Cardiff City, it's for the soul of football. Do you want to become as big a joke as MkDons? Because you will be. They moved 63 miles from Wimbledon. 63 miles from Cardiff puts you somewhere between Swindon and Newbury - he'll see that as much better, because of the easier access from London.

Red shirts? Mugs. You've rolled over, and everybody expected better. Proud to be Welsh? Nah, you can't say that... unless you can prove it.

LUFC for life, but please, don't mess this up - it's Cardiff CITY we love to beat.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:01 pm

White Fan Man (LUFC) wrote:What is the price of a soul...?

You've rolled over easily once, so he thinks you'll do it again.... and you probably will.

You've already sold out your heritage, for the promise of a £100m loan. He's treating you like mugs. Bluebirds? Not any more. A proud Welsh club? No, just a very insignificant part of some mad Eastern business man's empire.

Get some backbone - fight for yourselves. This is bigger than Cardiff City, it's for the soul of football. Do you want to become as big a joke as MkDons? Because you will be. They moved 63 miles from Wimbledon. 63 miles from Cardiff puts you somewhere between Swindon and Newbury - he'll see that as much better, because of the easier access from London.

Red shirts? Mugs. You've rolled over, and everybody expected better. Proud to be Welsh? Nah, you can't say that... unless you can prove it.

LUFC for life, but please, don't mess this up - it's Cardiff CITY we love to beat.

Like you guys did in 1961?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Tan loves a franchise. Hes all about the brand. Which is why his main income used to be Mcds and Cripsy Cremes in Malayasia. Anything other than an opportunistic fat Asian man he is not.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:

Like you guys did in 1961?

1962, actually, but I take your point. But those were different times, different circumstances - most of all because the vast majority of fans WANTED the change. And we won't ever be anything other than Leeds United AFC - our fans wouldn't allow it. Yours probably will. I hope not.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 pm

The Red was bad enough, and the badge! Name change? No thanks. Then what next, it obviously wouldnt be the Cardiff City stadium any more. I wouldnt recognise any "Cardiff Dragons" as the team ive supported over 40 years. Each to his own, but its not for me. Mr Tan is behaving like a dictator, no consultation, just do as I want. Some would say well,he owns it so he can do what he wants with it, and maybe so, but he will alienate more and more true fans along the way. Mind you, he will still fill the stadium every game if premiership football comes, so he wont care a bit about that! :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:22 pm

Cardiff Dragons FC are the gay and lesbian team in South Wales so surely there is a copyright issue here anyway? I really hope the supporters can get a voice through to Tan and get him to rethink some if these idea's towards a rebrand. Cardiff City the football club is slipping away and we are going to be left with a choice of supporting a franchise that has replaced our club or nothing. Sad times when these should be the most exciting times of our lives as supporters being on the brink of the Premiership

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 pm

hotwings wrote:Cardiff Dragons FC are the gay and lesbian team in South Wales

You lot should feel quite comfortable with the name change, then.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:30 pm

When did you last beat us :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Mr Tan refers to no success under the "Bluebird brand". Says it all really, Ive never thought of the Bluebird as a "brand", its always been a symbol of Cardiff City, its part of out history, our heritage, and out identity.
Sad times.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:

1923 - hat-trick by Grenville Hair, and you got a late consolation goal by Billy The Seal.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 pm

White Fan Man (LUFC) wrote:
Fusilier23 wrote:

1923. Hat-trick for Leeds by Grenville Hair, and you got a late consolation goal by Billy The Seal. The Bob Bank exploded in a sea of apathy

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Cardiff fans will just roll over and take it RIP CARDIFF CITY FC

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Xcasual wrote:Cardiff fans will just roll over and take it RIP CARDIFF CITY FC

Mugs or fanatics...?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

He would like to change the ccs to something with malaysia in it ?!? Dont know if that is possible but if it is and he gets away with it, then we simply wont be Cardiff anymore

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:42 pm

All joking aside and winding up from us jacks this is very worrying for u and there's not a lot u can do except make him walk away and we all knows what happens then.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Your first post was fair enough, but that was below the belt. This could have happened to any club, just our luck it happened to us. We are in unchartered waters here. If this had happened to Leeds United, you would be struggling too. As would every club. As we are.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:49 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:

Your first post was fair enough, but that was below the belt. This could have happened to any club, just our luck it happened to us. We are in unchartered waters here. If this had happened to Leeds United, you would be struggling too. As would every club. As we are.

Yes, and it's WRONG. I do actually care. I'm just joking with you - i think it's bloody sad. The apathy is appalling. I love football, and I love the tradition. I love the soul. Cardiff CITY have the tradition - it's not a 'brand'. It might be known for having a bunch of nutcases who throw bricks at our coaches, but better to have that than play in a Malaysia sponsered ASDA stadium, play in whatever colour is fashionable that week, and change your name to Dragons.

P.S. I like this board. Can I stay for a bit? You could adopt me, as a mascot. Do you know Billy The Seal - can you arrange for me to meet it? It's a girl seal.