Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Vincent Tan interview CHANGING OUR NAME

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 am

When did he say hes changing our name cos i cant find it anywhere

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 am

CraigCCFC wrote:When did he say hes changing our name cos i cant find it anywhere

And you have the audacity to call me a stirrer... oh the irony. On ignore now goes Tan's rent boy. :roll:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:34 am

If this happens, tipping point reached. :twisted:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:35 am

All Black Everything. wrote:
CraigCCFC wrote:When did he say hes changing our name cos i cant find it anywhere

And you have the audacity to call me a stirrer... oh the irony. On ignore now goes Tan's rent boy. :roll:
cya cunty

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 am

Although I've only been going the past two years and having to pay for my slight Cardiff fan father to go, I don't see how new fans can chose a side. I don't think I have the right to make a statement about the colour of the club by wearing a scarf. New members making bold statements. I'll leave it to the people who've been supporting the club for years. I've had one season ticket against peoples 20.

If the fans don't do something about this then Bristol, Swansea, Leeds etc will be laughing for years. Even if we win the premier league, we'll still be a joke.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:37 am

The fact that he's even contemplated it should be enough to realise he doesn't care about the fans.. :roll:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:38 am

Barry Chuckle wrote:

The fact that he's even contemplated it should be enough to realise he doesn't care about the fans.. :roll:
he doesnt care about the fans and i havent thought he does for one minute. He does not however say he WILL change the name.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:39 am

It's simple. Vincent Tan can walk away whenever he wants! Remember that. But... Lets stick up for the club and go all the way with this. We will boycott all games. Then his masterminded idea will fall away. Cos let me tell you something. There's not 28000 Malaysians that are going to turn upto the stadium every week. Tan want to run it like a business we will wreck it for him. No ticket sales. No burgers sold at the stadium. No merchandise purchased ( which the red shirts ain't doing so well at the moment) then let's see him realise that a business is F*** All without us BLUEBIRDS. I he leaves he leaves. But like I say. He can leave when he wants anyway. Lets not be a laffing stock and stick up for our name

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:39 am

Don't think I will be able to support Cardiff Dragons. That might be a step too far for me, I support cardiff city the bluebirds who the f**k are cardiff dragon? Sounds like a f*cking ice hockey team for f**k sake. Think he will lose more than 25% of the fans if this happens

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 am

Bobby Gee wrote:Vincent Tan interview tonight on Sport Wales at 7pm. Should be interesting.z

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan open to name change

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has said that promotion to the Premier League could trigger further "rebranding" and did not rule out changing the club's name to Cardiff Dragons.

The Malaysian billionaire has already insisted upon a colour change from blue to red, as well as a new club crest.
"We will think about it when we know the final result of this season," he said about using Cardiff Dragons.

"Then we will think what's the best way to brand it."
Tan acknowledged the "rumours" that have recently emerged over the use of Cardiff Dragons but added: "We haven't discussed this. I've not really thought about this in detail.
"But when we get there we'll make a decision. And when we make a decision we will convey it to everyone."
Tan, who has an estimated wealth of $1.3bn, wants Cardiff to maximise all possible revenue and marketing opportunities in Asia.
Who is Vincent Tan?
Named on the Forbes billionaire list with an estimated worth of $1.3bn (£800m)
He is chairman and chief executive of Berjaya Group and it is a portfolio which includes golfing, property, resorts and gambling
Owns social networking site Friendster.com and has shares in Facebook
Operates Malaysia's MiTV pay-TV service
Bought Malaysia's McDonald's franchise in 1982 and in 1985 bought Sports Toto lottery agency
After buying more than 35% of the club's shares for £6m in 2010, the 61-year-old Malaysian threatened to withdraw his support in June unless the club agreed to ditch its traditional blue home shirts in favour of red ones.
The new colours were accepted, so too a new badge as a Welsh dragon replaced the bluebird, and further investment followed.
In an interview with BBC Wales' Sport Wales programme, he justified the "controversial decision" of the club's colours, and stressed he is prepared to and intends to make more changes.

]"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.
"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority

He added: "I believe the change is for the better. And if you put in a lot of money, surely you have the right to make a call on some things you believe will make it better.
"If you don't have a say, why the hell do you want to put in so much money?"
After years of financial instability, Cardiff were on the brink of administration before Tan's takeover as part of a Malaysian consortium.

Cardiff City's new badge, dominated by a red dragon
The club continues to struggle financially, recording losses of £13.6m in the year up to the end of May 2012, with an overall recorded debt of £83.1m.
The accounts also show that the debt to Langston, the company represented by ex-City owner Sam Hammam, is put at £19.2m, with a one-off payment of £5m due if City reach the Premier League while the debt is outstanding.
Tan said that resolving this debt is a priority for the club, and again called on Langston to renegotiate to a "fair level" and then convert the "unsecured" loan into equity.
If that happens, Tan said he is willing to turn the £63m loan he has given to the club into equity.
"Their loan is not secured," he said. "If anything happens to the club, Langston will get nothing. So I will convert [my loan] if we can resolve with Langston.
"And if Sam Hammam loves Cardiff as he claims he does, he should come and sit down and then we'll find a solution."
Having failed in the Championship play-offs three years in a row, Cardiff are in a stronger position than ever to reach the Premier League.
They have an eight-point lead with 13 games remaining, but Tan said he would not walk away if promotion was not secured.
"If the fans welcome me, I can stay for a long time," he said, promising a further £25m to manager Malky Mackay for new players should they go up.
"But if I find they are not welcoming and rude, then maybe I will find a new buyer and go off. But if I were to sell, I'd make sure I would leave it in good hands."
A section of Cardiff fans continue to oppose Tan's colour change. A protest was held at the end of the last home game to Brighton - which Tan attended - when free red scarves were handed out.
Tan referred to the dissenting voices as "a bunch of mostly young kids" and argued a change was long overdue.
"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?"
Watch Sport Wales, BBC Two Wales, Thursday 28 February (19:00 GMT) for an exclusive, all-access look at Vince

He clearly doesn't give a f**k about us. Not happy about changing the name. That would break a lot of people

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 am

CraigCCFC wrote:
Barry Chuckle wrote:

he doesnt care about the fans and i havent thought he does for one minute. He does not however say he WILL change the name.

Like i said, the fact that he's even considering it, isn't good for our club.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 am

Tan acknowledged the "rumours" that have recently emerged over the use of Cardiff Dragons but added: "We haven't discussed this. I've not really thought about this in detail."But when we get there we'll make a decision. And when we make a decision we will convey it to everyone."

The BBC have done well with this

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:47 am

To change the name would be a step to far for me, it is at this point, the only part of the club to identify with and is ours and belongs to the team that plays in the great city of Cardiff. I would be embarrassed to follow a team called Cardiff Dragons and therefore could not follow them any longer, they would no longer be my team. If VT was to go as far as to lose the 'City' then I fear that the next logical step would be to lose 'Cardiff' and simply be known as 'The Dragons', if the main goal is to appeal to the overseas market. He could then move the club where ever he wants, as I would not give a shit who or where they were at that point anyway.
Lets all just hope that this is all sensational bullshit. :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:48 am

I was a reluctant red, but if this name change happens I will either protest or boycott all games and sell my season ticket

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am

PTBluebird85 wrote:Tan acknowledged the "rumours" that have recently emerged over the use of Cardiff Dragons but added: "We haven't discussed this. I've not really thought about this in detail."But when we get there we'll make a decision. And when we make a decision we will convey it to everyone."

That looks a little promising because he says they haven't discussed it yet, so it's just rumours! Hopefully it stays like that!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:49 am

I'm a Bristol City fan (don't shoot yet) and I live in Cardiff, have done for almost 20 years now and I was shocked with the change to red but the name is a step too far, if there is a protest I suggest telling as many people as possible regardless of who they support.

If there is a protest I'll join you all, hell I'll even wear blue for a day.

Re: Vincent Tan interview Changing our name

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 am

arri potta wrote:
Marc wrote:If we not nice to him, he might sell.

Mostly loud kids against rebrand :laughing5:

Couldn't make it up, is he a complete loon :?

He's no more a loon than the crap Sam Hammam spouted but what a ride! :old: ;)

Wake up! SAMs not in charge , this f*cking lunatic is. He's taking every scrap of our identity away. When are the fans going to wake up????

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 am

I think the sensationalism is pretty evident.

If he changes the name, I think people will jump ship. I've supported the city for 12 years, it would be a step too far for me.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 am

PTBluebird85 wrote:Tan acknowledged the "rumours" that have recently emerged over the use of Cardiff Dragons but added: "We haven't discussed this. I've not really thought about this in detail."But when we get there we'll make a decision. And when we make a decision we will convey it to everyone."

Have you not read the last sentence of that very paragraph?

'When we make a decision we will convey it to everyone' --> In other words make sure everyone understands and knows that its happening. Nothing there about cooperating with the fans, just making you aware of what he is doing.

Tan is very clever using cute language to hide some of the statements he's making. In other aspects he's being quite open. This means people don't know what to believe, how to judge him, etc. That's why you still have people like Gwyn in love with him.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 am

"If the fans welcome me, I can stay for a long time," he said, promising a further £25m to manager Malky Mackay for new players should they go up.
"But if I find they are not welcoming and rude, then maybe I will find a new buyer and go off. But if I were to sell, I'd make sure I would leave it in good hands."

GOOD, piss off then and the sooner the better............... :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 am

The name change is a rumour and clearly not something that is decided otherwise they would have already had to go to the FA/Premier League to get agreement.

Read the attached which gives a bit more detail and thinking but let's not make things up before they happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-21610017

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 am

Changing the name would be a step too far for many people. He should not be allowed to ride rough shod over the wishes of our fans. I reluctantly went along with red in order to stabalise the Club as I feared we were heading down the pan. As I feel at the moment I don't think I could stomach Cardiff Dragons. I hope people make their feelings clear on this. If he walks away he walks away and if he is an honourable man and keeps to his word he will leave us in good hands as he has apparently said in the quote below.

Let's wait to see what he says tonight but I think those who are opposed to a name change should make their feelings known loud and clear ASAP before this crazy idea gathers any momentum. Ironically we have a song "PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY CARDIFF AWAY".......never have those words had so much relevance. :ayatollah:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 am

"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.
"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority.

So he says he doesn't care if some are happy then says he'll go if people are rude :lol:
What a shit business man

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 am

English is his second language, it's easy to pick and manipulate words.

We are top of the league, I'll wait until solid statements come out.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 am

I have not been down the Malaysian stadium once this season. This Tan is a egotistical dictator. He has no respect for us or our traditions. Its all a right mess. True , financially we needed someone with real money. All he has done is divided the fans and loaned us money . He certainly is the type to just pull out. Some of the pro rebrand need to hang their heads in shame . You would like to think our fans would be the last to bend over.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:24 am

The truth here is that he hasn't said he will change the name but is open to the idea. Im open to the thought of a penis enlargement but I'm not going to have one.

What he said about not caring about the minority of fans is true whether you are in the minority or not. If you run a business you aim to please the majority not the minority.

Again there are a lot of questions that need to be answered and something needs to be arranged. I'm totally against a protest but I believe a survey should be sent out to all season ticket holders and next seasons season ticket holders followed by a meeting with the club where questions can be answered with truth and promise.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 am

Guys wait to see what happens, support the boys hopefully get into the premier league enjoy the ride and then in the summer if he changes the name I am sure 90% will protest etc, we will have more people who would want to buy the club if we reach the premier league! I don't think he would change it he said he wants majority on his side but this time I see no one if favour of the name change like I did with the colour change! Support the boys now see what happens in the summer!!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 am

cardiff yid wrote:I have not been down the Malaysian stadium once this season. This Tan is a egotistical dictator. He has no respect for us or our traditions. Its all a right mess. True , financially we needed someone with real money. All he has done is divided the fans and loaned us money . He certainly is the type to just pull out. Some of the pro rebrand need to hang their heads in shame . You would like to think our fans would be the last to bend over.

The type to pull out. What and lose £60+ mill? Tan has never walked out on one of his companies and there is no reason to believe he will now.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 am

Bristol City fan here in peace, but feel free to insult if you wish!

I have to admit it was a giggle at the start, but it's going to far now. The ramifications of this are deeper than just Cardiff. The precidents that are being set mean we are all just one mad cap owner away from having everything we loved and grew up with being ripped apart for the sake of a few quid.

The Premier League is a big con perpetuated by Sky, the Murdoch press and the big 4. It isn't that great. Your long revered club is much more important than the division they play in.

I think this could be the tipping point for a lot of fans from different clubs in that it's not funny, it's just plain wrong.

I'll be interested to see what you decide as fans to do.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:30 am

horse_face wrote:English is his second language, it's easy to pick and manipulate words.

We are top of the league, I'll wait until solid statements come out.

That's what happened last time. By then it was too late. The same will happen again.