Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Vincent Tan interview CHANGING OUR NAME

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:12 am

Vincent Tan interview tonight on Sport Wales at 7pm. Should be interesting.z

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan open to name change

Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan has said that promotion to the Premier League could trigger further "rebranding" and did not rule out changing the club's name to Cardiff Dragons.

The Malaysian billionaire has already insisted upon a colour change from blue to red, as well as a new club crest.
"We will think about it when we know the final result of this season," he said about using Cardiff Dragons.

"Then we will think what's the best way to brand it."
Tan acknowledged the "rumours" that have recently emerged over the use of Cardiff Dragons but added: "We haven't discussed this. I've not really thought about this in detail.
"But when we get there we'll make a decision. And when we make a decision we will convey it to everyone."
Tan, who has an estimated wealth of $1.3bn, wants Cardiff to maximise all possible revenue and marketing opportunities in Asia.
Who is Vincent Tan?
Named on the Forbes billionaire list with an estimated worth of $1.3bn (£800m)
He is chairman and chief executive of Berjaya Group and it is a portfolio which includes golfing, property, resorts and gambling
Owns social networking site Friendster.com and has shares in Facebook
Operates Malaysia's MiTV pay-TV service
Bought Malaysia's McDonald's franchise in 1982 and in 1985 bought Sports Toto lottery agency
After buying more than 35% of the club's shares for £6m in 2010, the 61-year-old Malaysian threatened to withdraw his support in June unless the club agreed to ditch its traditional blue home shirts in favour of red ones.
The new colours were accepted, so too a new badge as a Welsh dragon replaced the bluebird, and further investment followed.
In an interview with BBC Wales' Sport Wales programme, he justified the "controversial decision" of the club's colours, and stressed he is prepared to and intends to make more changes.
"A few were upset but like in any business if we get 80% or 75% of the customers happy, with 20-25% not happy, that's fine," he said.
"If they don't want to come to support our business, that's fine. We need the majority."
He added: "I believe the change is for the better. And if you put in a lot of money, surely you have the right to make a call on some things you believe will make it better.
"If you don't have a say, why the hell do you want to put in so much money?"
After years of financial instability, Cardiff were on the brink of administration before Tan's takeover as part of a Malaysian consortium.

Cardiff City's new badge, dominated by a red dragon
The club continues to struggle financially, recording losses of £13.6m in the year up to the end of May 2012, with an overall recorded debt of £83.1m.
The accounts also show that the debt to Langston, the company represented by ex-City owner Sam Hammam, is put at £19.2m, with a one-off payment of £5m due if City reach the Premier League while the debt is outstanding.
Tan said that resolving this debt is a priority for the club, and again called on Langston to renegotiate to a "fair level" and then convert the "unsecured" loan into equity.
If that happens, Tan said he is willing to turn the £63m loan he has given to the club into equity.
"Their loan is not secured," he said. "If anything happens to the club, Langston will get nothing. So I will convert [my loan] if we can resolve with Langston.
"And if Sam Hammam loves Cardiff as he claims he does, he should come and sit down and then we'll find a solution."
Having failed in the Championship play-offs three years in a row, Cardiff are in a stronger position than ever to reach the Premier League.
They have an eight-point lead with 13 games remaining, but Tan said he would not walk away if promotion was not secured.
"If the fans welcome me, I can stay for a long time," he said, promising a further £25m to manager Malky Mackay for new players should they go up.
"But if I find they are not welcoming and rude, then maybe I will find a new buyer and go off. But if I were to sell, I'd make sure I would leave it in good hands."
A section of Cardiff fans continue to oppose Tan's colour change. A protest was held at the end of the last home game to Brighton - which Tan attended - when free red scarves were handed out.
Tan referred to the dissenting voices as "a bunch of mostly young kids" and argued a change was long overdue.
"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?"
Watch Sport Wales, BBC Two Wales, Thursday 28 February (19:00 GMT) for an exclusive, all-access look at Vince

Re: Vincent Tan interview

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:20 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21604568

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:25 am

Does not sound good from that BBC Article :shock:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:30 am

You cant change the name!!!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:37 am

Oh dear god, I just hope he won't be allowed to change our name :roll:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

premier league is big in malaysia
wants cardiff city to be as big as Man u and liverpool
color red is regarded as very lucky in malasia
puting all the money in, he has the right to change color
believe the change is for the better of the club
if the fans don't want him or if they are rude, he could possibly sell up but leave the club in good hands
enjoys texting Malkey and meeting the players in the dressing room especially Bellamy
does not rule out the stadium being named after big malaysian companies
or ruling out a name change
said that resolving this debt is a priority for the club, and again called on Langston to renegotiate to a "fair level" and then convert the "unsecured" loan into equity.
If that happens, Tan said he is willing to turn the £63m loan he has given to the club into equity.
"Their loan is not secured," he said. "If anything happens to the club, Langston will get nothing. So I will convert [my loan] if we can resolve with Langston.
probably more but that is all I remember :thumbup:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

Mynachdy_Bluebird wrote:Oh dear god, I just hope he won't be allowed to change our name :roll:

If the club want to survive sob story to the FA (not that it would be the same club anyway if the name changes to the suggest) Vt would say to the FA look we will need to change for further investment for the club to carry on, there has to be ways around it somehow :?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:13 am

Its also on BBC WALES news tonight.
His house looked impressive, it showed him wearing a City top 8-)

Re: Vincent Tan interview Changing our name

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:19 am

If we not nice to him, he might sell.

Mostly loud kids against rebrand :laughing5:

Couldn't make it up, is he a complete loon :?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:20 am

boxerbob wrote:You cant change the name!!!

You can. I wish people would stop spouting this shit.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 am

MalagaCF wrote:Its also on BBC WALES news tonight.
His house looked impressive, it showed him wearing a City top 8-)

There me thinking he lives in a terrace house with neighbours whos dog bark every poxy morning for half a day while hes trying to sleep after a night shift ( LIKE f*cking ME) :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 am

Marc wrote:If we not nice to him, he might sell.

Mostly loud kids against rebrand :laughing5:

Couldn't make it up, is he a complete loon :?

He's no more a loon than the crap Sam Hammam spouted but what a ride! :old: ;)

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:22 am

It's only re-iterating what the majority of us suspect will happen. I've already made my decision about next season.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 am

This is a disgrace !!!! Vincent tan is by far the biggest dick in the history of this world !!! He doesn't give a toss about us city supporters !!!! He is the devil I'd rather go into administrator than a name change as well it's bad enough going red but the dragons are we wrexham ?? This man just doesn't care at all about the Cardiff fans

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 am

Now he his taking the piss

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 am

"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?"

This is true :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:43 am

bluebird1977 wrote:"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?"

We achieved more with the bluebird brand than the dragon one.

How many major cups do we have? Under what regime was it won?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:43 am

Did anyone REALLY think that a rebrand means changing the colour of our home shirts and changing a badge? There's much more to it than that. Look at 'Marathon' bars or 'Snickers' as they are now known. Now, years after the name change, they are available with more caramel, or more nuts, and in different colour wrappers, with almonds, peanut butter, as flapjacks, ice cream or in different sizes! Re-branding is how you keep your product successful and fresh.....

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:46 am

Parnassus wrote:
bluebird1977 wrote:"Have they achieved any success under this bluebirds brand?," he asked "So why do we hold onto something that hasn't achieved much success?"

We achieved more with the bluebird brand than the dragon one.

How many major cups do we have? Under what regime was it won?

I was taking the piss thats the only thing hes said that makes sence in there :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 am

I don't post often, but read the comments on this board everyday. If this goes ahead, it will no longer be my Cardiff City. Don't like the Red but have swallowed it fot our survival. If he changes to the Dragons he will have " taken my Cardiff away". Disgraceful, step to far IMO. This needs to stop now.

Re: Vincent Tan interview CHANGING OUR NAME

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:52 am

I have no real issues with the change if colour all though I would have preferred to stay in blue, but this is one step too far.

I don't like this one bit

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:54 am

Let's be honest, anyone with half a brain could see this coming after the shamble with the change of colour!!... why don't he take the red and take the brains beer mat (badge) and the change of name and shove it down his f*cking throat!!... talk about ripping the heart and soul out of the club!!.... I hate the red and I hate the badge but I been watching Cardiff for years and up until now although I hate the idea their still Cardiff and I was still behind the team but they are becoming unrecognizable!!... why not wear a Bristol top. they play in red, got a shit badge and got a different name!!... f*cking bullshit!!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:59 am

Unlike most of you lot I quite like Tan but hes got this really wrong. I can see exactly where hes coming from, he wants to run CCFC as a business and best way to do this is a) get us to the prem, b) try and make us marketable in the far east. The problem is, football clubs in the UK aren't just businesses. It is pretty clear Tan has one intention with Cardiff City, and that is to make money. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, its given Malky the resources to mount by far our best promotion attempt in years but he will never see city the way the fans see it.

On the plus side, you now all have your quote from Tan about converting Debt to Equity, that looks almost certain to happen now.

Time for the message board whinging to stop and a real (but respectful) protest to start. The balloons idea was a good one imo.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:08 am

Surely nobody is surprised by any of this. He can do what he wants, basically. This is just business for Vincent Tan. He is not a football man, even less a Cardiff City fan. Its just another branch of his business empire. We will just have to wait and see what happens. Will we be Cardiff City, or a franchise based in Cardiff? The most chilling fact is that he is happy enough to lose 25% of the 'customers'.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 am

It is exactly the way I would expect a businessman to view the attachment that fans have with their symbol/badge/colour. He just doesn't really get it.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:19 am

It's all down to us at the end of the day. We make it clear to him we boycott games and trust me, he will not be changing the name of the club if he's got 10 fans a week watching the games!

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:24 am

Guys who have wholly backed the rebrand - did you not see this coming ???.

Will be more of a laughing stock than we currently are. Sounds like something from the rugby regions or MLS.

Malaysian play-thing.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:25 am

Sorry to say but us supporters have a lot to answer for ,we should of stood up to all this rebrand fiasco month's ago ,oh hang we did have a few meeting's,but we're warned off from the lick arse brigade

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:25 am

100% you can change a clubs name, if the application us lodged with football and premier leagues in good time. This is the only real other rebrand he can do, we are going to be CDFC Cardiff Dragons football club. Cardiff City will be gone, this will be a brand new club for brand new supporters. A disgrace, I hope all that have been 100% behind the crazy rebrand are very happy now, I am sure they are as they don't understand what CCFC really means to the true supporters :oops: :cry: :oops:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 am

Tan is a spoilt brat ,Dictator