Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SHOULD CARDIFF CITY DO THE SAME? OPINIONS?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 pm

SWANSEA WANT 5 YEAR SEASON TICKET COMMITMENT FROM FANS TO EXTEND THEIR STADIUM.

Whether there are price freezes or reduction in season ticket cost in case there is relegation I do not know but is this something that Cardiff City could do or need to do ?

Speaking to a few Swans fans today, they tell me that they have received an email off their club to ask if they would be interested in signing up for a 5 year season ticket.

My understanding from what was said is that they are effectively being asked to sign up to a commitment to purchase a season ticket for the next 5 seasons and not that they want their fans to pay for the 5 years up front.

In the email their club also asks them would their friends and family be interested in this as well.

The reason for this 5 year commitment is for Swansea FC to gauge interest in their support to give an idea before they upgrade their stadium and the number of seats they upgrade the stadium by.

Personally if what I was told is indeed correct, maybe a Jack on here could explain more, I think it is in principle a good idea.

Whether there are price freezes or reduction in season ticket cost in case there is relegation I do not know but is this something that Cardiff City could do or need to do ?

Re: SWANSEA WANT 5 YEAR SEASON TICKET COMMITMENT FROM FANS

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm

IMO there's no point them going above 27,000, they would only fill it 6 times a season. 25,000 is more their level

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Daft idea they will all say yes desperate for tickets, but if they drop down will all quit like they always do.......

Unless they pay at least a 20% deposit for the next five seasons what's the point???

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Bluebina wrote:Daft idea they will all say yes desperate for tickets, but if they drop down will all quit like they always do.......

Unless they pay at least a 20% deposit for the next five seasons what's the point???

I don't know how it works, would be interesting to know though.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:32 pm

Carl,
My understanding of it is,if they commit they will expand their stadium capacity and they dont intend to do it in one go to 10,000. If I am wrong can NJ 73 enlighten me on it or any sensible Jack who posts on here?

Reason why I am interested, maybe our club could do it and our fans could sign up for 5 years and that would be a good incentive for us to expand?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:32 pm

CantonJack wrote:IMO there's no point them going above 27,000, they would only fill it 6 times a season. 25,000 is more their level

And how do you know that, when the stadium is expanded i will be getting one for my daughter and she is not even on the waiting list :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Yes, it is true. Seems a good idea, think there will be an option for a 3 year season ticket as well. Should be good to avoid prize rises, as Premier League clubs tend to increase the price 10% ever year which is a farce.

We've got plans to extend up to 32,000, in three different 4,000 instalments. So say if we were to extend the ground to 28,000, but found that even against the top teams we were getting 26-27,000 crowds we wouldn't go ahead to extent to 32,000. It's just sensible buisness from the club, to make sure that the ground isn't too big for us whilst we're at the level we aspire to be in.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Carl,
My understanding of it is if they commit they will expand their stadium capacity and they dont intend to do it in one go to 10,000. If I am wrong can NJ 73 enlighten me on it.

Reason why I am interested, maybe our club could do it and our fans could sign up for 5 years and that would be a good incentive for us to expand?

I was told the east stand will be done first followed by the south and north, there is also talk of a hotel being built into the south stand. I too have had an email to see if i would like a three year season ticket and they wanted to know if any family or friends would be intrested i will be getting one for my daughter. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 pm

kidwelly jack wrote:
CantonJack wrote:IMO there's no point them going above 27,000, they would only fill it 6 times a season. 25,000 is more their level

And how do you know that, when the stadium is expanded i will be getting one for my daughter and she is not even on the waiting list :thumbup:

Would you commit to five years Kidwelly?

It think most would if there was a relegation clause, a bit the the players have in their contracts. You stay up and the commitment stands, relegated an fans can opt out.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 pm

SCFC wrote:Yes, it is true. Seems a good idea, think there will be an option for a 3 year season ticket as well. Should be good to avoid prize rises, as Premier League clubs tend to increase the price 10% ever year which is a farce.

We've got plans to extend up to 32,000, in three different 4,000 instalments. So say if we were to extend the ground to 28,000, but found that even against the top teams we were getting 26-27,000 crowds we wouldn't go ahead to extent to 32,000. It's just sensible buisness from the club, to make sure that the ground isn't too big for us whilst we're at the level we aspire to be in.

That's not right, the only thing that will stop all the expansion is relegation. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Carl,
My understanding of it is if they commit they will expand their stadium capacity and they dont intend to do it in one go to 10,000. If I am wrong can NJ 73 enlighten me on it or any sensible Jack who posts on here?

At the moment it's just a questionnaire to establish a level of interest in how many would be interested in a 3 or 5 year ST and how many ST holders would have friends/family that would buy a ST if capacity were increased. There are no details of how a 3 or 5 year ST would work.

As stated in this thread, the plan in to increase by 12,000 but in 3 x 4,000 stages with the East Stand the first to be increased.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 pm

I'd rather do a stretch in Strangeways than commit myself to 5 years in that pile of shite.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:42 pm

kidwelly jack wrote:

Look at the first three letters
IMO - In My Opinion :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Wayne S wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

It think most would if there was a relegation clause, a bit the the players have in their contracts. You stay up and the commitment stands, relegated an fans can opt out.

Nobody has mentioned 5yrs to me 3yrs was mentioned and yes i will be getting one and my 9yr old daughter too. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Being realistic I don't think Swansea would need to expand any more than 28k. They would get 28k for the bigger clubs but 25k tops for the bottom half of the table clubs that's how I see it. If they ever went down though they would be back to having less than 20k. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:47 pm

kidwelly jack wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

Nobody has mentioned 5yrs to me 3yrs was mentioned and yes i will be getting one and my 9yr old daughter too. :thumbup:

I'd assume for fans who buy season tickets year in, year out whatever league, it's a no brainer. I assume it will only be some of the newer fans that may not go for it in case of relegation.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 pm

CantonJack wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

And how do you arrive at that opinion, because in reality no one knows what sort of crowds the swans will have in the future, if we keep moving forward as we are at the moment 30000 + is not out of the question, if we were to go down we'd be back to 15000. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 pm

kidwelly jack wrote:
CantonJack wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

And how do you arrive at that opinion, because in reality no one knows what sort of crowds the swans will have in the future, if we keep moving forward as we are at the moment 30000 + is not out of the question, if we were to go down we'd be back to 15000. :thumbup:

I just think that next season if we go up (which is looking extremely likely) we'll take some of your fairweather fans, just like you've taken some of ours. You could easily get 30,000 for Utd, Chelsea etc, but when it comes to the likes of Wigan, Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle you would struggle to get over 25,000. Like I said, my opinion :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 pm

NEATHBLUES wrote:Being realistic I don't think Swansea would need to expand any more than 28k. They would get 28k for the bigger clubs but 25k tops for the bottom half of the table clubs that's how I see it. If they ever went down though they would be back to having less than 20k. :thumbup:

All if's and but's what happens if we get into europe and finish top 10 every season then 28000 will not be big enough, our games against man u man city liverpool spurs aresenal chelsea we could get 40000 if the stadium was big enough, so 32000 seems fine by me. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 pm

CantonJack wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:
CantonJack wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

I just think that next season if we go up (which is looking extremely likely) we'll take some of your fairweather fans, just like you've taken some of ours. You could easily get 30,000 for Utd, Chelsea etc, but when it comes to the likes of Wigan, Villa, Sunderland, Newcastle you would struggle to get over 25,000. Like I said, my opinion :thumbup:

What fair weather fans i have never seen them

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:56 pm

kidwelly jack wrote:
NEATHBLUES wrote:Being realistic I don't think Swansea would need to expand any more than 28k. They would get 28k for the bigger clubs but 25k tops for the bottom half of the table clubs that's how I see it. If they ever went down though they would be back to having less than 20k. :thumbup:

All if's and but's what happens if we get into europe and finish top 10 every season then 28000 will not be big enough, our games against man u man city liverpool spurs aresenal chelsea we could get 40000 if the stadium was big enough, so 32000 seems fine by me. :thumbup:

40k?! That's nearly as big as Swansea :lol:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:58 pm

kidwelly jack wrote:

You have grown the product great over the last few years. I would think your model would be looking to mimic say a Stoke or WBA. Stoke seem to have hit a level, their stadium of 28k is usually around 1k off capacity for the standard prem games. They are only talking recently of going to 30k and that is after five years in the Premier League.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 pm

NEATHBLUES wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

40k?! That's nearly as big as Swansea :lol:

Thats what the ticket office manager told me :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 pm

Wayne S wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

You have grown the product great over the last few years. I would think your model would be looking to mimic say a Stoke or WBA. Stoke seem to have hit a level, their stadium of 28k is usually around 1k off capacity for the standard prem games. They are only talking recently of going to 30k and that is after five years in the Premier League.

Our model is swansea city fc not stoke or wba we do things our own way. :thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 pm

kidwelly jack wrote:
Wayne S wrote:
kidwelly jack wrote:

Our model is swansea city fc not stoke or wba we do things our own way. :thumbup:

You're not the first to be in this situation and your board will be analysing all those that have gone before them.

The Swansea board are amazingly switched on so they won't be leaving anything to chance. They will be looking at other clubs with similar catchment areas and success to get it right.

I assume the Ospreys will be moving out if you expand? Their fans will be lost in the stadium, the blues had awful atmospheres.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Some of us at ccfc are already on a similar deal.
Premier club founder members, price changes every 5 years.
:thumbup:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

I've been promoting this idea for ages -regarding a possible extension of our stadium.

Bloody Jacks nicked my idea now, as well as all the metals in my skip. :lol:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 pm

We would have to do a similar thing if we expanded our stadium if we get in the premiership. No point in expanding to 35,000 if there would be 10,000 empty seats if we went back down to championship. The thing I don't get is that for it to work all season ticket holders need to be on a five year deal. The only people who will sign up for it are those fans who would still go to games in the championship. So if we only got 10,000 signed up it would be dangerous expanding. We would have to have about 25,000 signed up to it to make it worth expanding our stadium.

I personally think VT won't pay for any expansion and will prefer to spend money on the squad. So commitment from fans will be the only thing that makes it happen.

Not sure what hold they have over you if you sign up and then quit. Does a football club really want to take 10,000 fans to court for cancelling there ticket if they got relegated.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:34 am

Can't see the point of asking people for a 5 year commitment when at the moment the jacks are on the crest of a wave. People will be promising the earth and loads coming out of the woodwork declaring how they've always been a fan. Once the novelty wears off and / or relegation looms such promises will mean f**k all. And this would apply to any club in their position, before the jacks get all precious about it. Again.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:02 am

Its difficult because people's circumstances change. One season you can afford one and the next you cant. How can you commit 5 years of your life. An asteroid could hit the mumbles after 2 seasons