Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Lappin - Underwhelming Signing

Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Didn't he miss something out of his quote:

“I’m looking forward to the rest of the season now and hopefully we can continue the good form we’ve been showing the past couple of months.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my loan spell here with a great squad of lads. The manager, staff and everyone at the Club have been fantastic with me and when I heard they wanted me back here on a permanent deal it was an easy decision to return.

Besides that after Norwich told me to leave as I was no longer required, no other club wanted me. 18 months fooking tremendous ! Cheers Malky me old Norwich/Scottish mate.

Re: Lappin - Underwhelming Signing

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Don't me upset.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:15 pm

Can't believe he would make a 25 man squad in the premiership if we get there. Don't know why we offered him 18 months. I actually think he is not a bad championship midfielder but don't think he is much good at left back which seems to be where we have signed him to play.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 pm

bspark wrote:Can't believe he would make a 25 man squad in the premiership if we get there. Don't know why we offered him 18 months. I actually think he is not a bad championship midfielder but don't think he is much good at left back which seems to be where we have signed him to play.

I'm not sure how any City fans can comment on him as he only played 2 games for us, one of which he had a red card.

How the hell has he earned or justified an 18 month contract? He was a free agent FFS :evil:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Rita Pidsdale wrote:
bspark wrote:Can't believe he would make a 25 man squad in the premiership if we get there. Don't know why we offered him 18 months. I actually think he is not a bad championship midfielder but don't think he is much good at left back which seems to be where we have signed him to play.

I'm not sure how any City fans can comment on him as he only played 2 games for us, one of which he had a red card.

How the hell has he earned or justified an 18 month contract? He was a free agent FFS :evil:

I'm just judging him on his midfield performances for Norwich

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:28 pm

bspark wrote:
Rita Pidsdale wrote:

I'm just judging him on his midfield performances for Norwich

The performances that got him an invite into the bosses office:

"Simon weve paid you up until the end of the week mate, we dont need you anymore" "and you owe £3 for the bonus ball before you go"

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 pm

We needed a LB and they ain't easy to come by.

If we wanted a perm signing of real quality we would have been speaking big bucks, money that would be better spent if we should go up on a better quality LB. if we go up the market and options of players quadruples in size.

He may very well move on again come the summer.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm

What is it with the fixation over his 18 month contract? It is what it took to get him in as cover, if we had offered a 6 month contract, he would have gone elsewhere and we would still be without cover trying to tie up another deal.

The guy is easily good enough for the Championship, especially when he is not coming in as a first team player.

Who is to say he would be in any 25 man squad. The whole team will be of interest to Championship teams should we go up, players can leave before their contracts are up.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:38 pm

2blue2handle wrote:We needed a LB and they ain't easy to come by.

If we wanted a perm signing of real quality we would have been speaking big bucks, money that would be better spent if we should go up on a better quality LB. if we go up the market and options of players quadruples in size.

There are a few months to go this season, why give him an 18 month contract ?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Haha what a cry baby :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:41 pm

He is a makeshift player. Can fill in in midfield, can fill in defence. I don't see the issue. We needed a utility player. He is a backup at best and for as long as he's here he will be a backup. Im sure he knows the score as well and is happy to be that bit pat player just as O'Shea was at United. Strong teams have players with versatility. Great signing for nothing. People kicking up a fuss about him coming etc are off their rockers.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:42 pm

HeFilmsTheClouds wrote:He is a makeshift player. Can fill in in midfield, can fill in defence. I don't see the issue. We needed a utility player. He is a backup at best and for as long as he's here he will be a backup. Im sure he knows the score as well and is happy to be that bit pat player just as O'Shea was at United. Strong teams have players with versatility. Great signing for nothing. People kicking up a fuss about him coming etc are off their rockers.

Time will tell, I'm guessing although he signed for free, he's on a good few thousand per week.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:11 pm

Rita Pidsdale wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:We needed a LB and they ain't easy to come by.

There are a few months to go this season, why give him an 18 month contract ?

Why on earth would he take a 6month contract?

Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:22 pm

I think he's about as good a jay lloyd samual or gary croft

there is nothing special about him but he can slot in and do a job until august, and possibly only weaken our side slightly

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 pm

I liked crofty.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:39 pm

sloper_road_legend wrote:I think he's about as good a jay lloyd samual or gary croft

there is nothing special about him but he can slot in and do a job until august, and possibly only weaken our side slightly

Please don't compare any player we've ever had to that muppet.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:12 pm

I think it's a decent signing. All the Norwich fans think he's a quality player as do all that have worked with him. He played well against Birmingham and was rather unlucky against Barnsley. We will have a better chance of signing a PREMIER LEAGUE LB when we're actually in the prem. After all, there's been quite a lot on this forum about how Taylor isn't good enough, so Tayls may move on with Lappin remaining as cover for that season (I actually think they are nearly as good as each other). It's about steadily putting together a strong team in the prem (as you can see with Norwich's success and QPR's failure) to keep team ethic and that can only remain if the players do too. Lappin will get the team ethic by the end of season and help new comers to fit in when they get here. So in a way, this is actually MM thinking about the future despite it's only a 1 and half season deal (which nearly everyone feels like ages)! :ayatollah: :malky:

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Muppets

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 am

Clearly I am in the minority here but I was thoroughly impressed when I saw him at Barnsley. As a photographer I am required to take "Action Images" and it is often said that if you take a lot of photos of a particular player then that is a sign that he has got stuck in and had a good game.

When I reviewed the Barnsley images, up until the sending off, I took more of him than many other players and this is why I think he will become a fans favourite. He gets stuck in with his no nonsense tackling and reminds me, in some respects, of an old Joe Dwyer.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 am

Just a message to the detractors Simon Lappin "The King of Spain" when match fit is a class act with no problems off the pitch and always puts a full shift in. Norwich fans are gutted that he was marginalised after coming back from injury and think that its a joke we got him on a free.
I have seen him play a lot and if he is fully fit will be an absolute bargain signing. Also please dont forget to those out here in East Anglia Cardiff is like going to live abroad LOL hence the 18 month contract!

Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 am

norfolkblue wrote:Just a message to the detractors Simon Lappin "The King of Spain" when match fit is a class act with no problems off the pitch and always puts a full shift in. Norwich fans are gutted that he was marginalised after coming back from injury and think that its a joke we got him on a free.
I have seen him play a lot and if he is fully fit will be an absolute bargain signing. Also please dont forget to those out here in East Anglia Cardiff is like going to live abroad LOL hence the 18 month contract!

:ayatollah:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:38 am

Hi all, Lappin very good signing. :notworthy:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am

Rita Pidsdale wrote:Didn't he miss something out of his quote:

“I’m looking forward to the rest of the season now and hopefully we can continue the good form we’ve been showing the past couple of months.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my loan spell here with a great squad of lads. The manager, staff and everyone at the Club have been fantastic with me and when I heard they wanted me back here on a permanent deal it was an easy decision to return.

Besides that after Norwich told me to leave as I was no longer required, no other club wanted me. 18 months fooking tremendous ! Cheers Malky me old Norwich/Scottish mate.

Malky had left Norwich long before Lappin got there. But dont let that get in the
way of your rant.

Lappin is a good, solid player. Our defence is solid as a rock, we have a few exciting
young players as back-up. The manager obviously decided it would benefit the squad
having a bit more experience in there, just in case.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 am

Good signing for us, popular squad player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvgMZeTXda4

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 am

You've gotta laugh at some of the cretins on here - 'we need defensive cover' has been rammed down our throats for the last couple of months - now Malky has filled the gap, people still moan! :lol:

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 pm

He's versatile, on a Bosman and Malky knows him more than we do

Leighton Baines wasn't available unfortunately

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:20 pm

I honestly cannot see what the problem is??? A great signing and not too much cash used to plug a squad hole.

Just because he is a free agent it doesn't mean he is not up to the job and at the end of the day paying £3m for player guarantees nothing. Poor old Nicky Maynard proves the point, fork out a fortune in transfer fees and see the player rupture a knee ligament almost straight way.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:45 pm

CityGent wrote:He's versatile, on a Bosman and Malky knows him more than we do

Exactly mate, well said.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:46 pm

CityGent wrote:He's versatile, on a Bosman and Malky knows him more than we do

Exactly mate, well said.

Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:25 pm